The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 2283 Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

My assumption has been that the glasses would block all relevant frequencies that are not meant to be seen and only allow things through that were meant to go through (other than that there is always some leakage). Are you saying that filters designed to go in the projector block frequencies that the glasses don't block and if so, I'm curious if you have a source with an explanation of what those are.

--Darin

I'm guessing the glasses could be simpler than the projector filters. The glasses only need to block the three wavelengths from the wrong eye perspective. The projector filters need to block all wavelengths except the three for the correct eye. Using the narrow bandwidth projector filter for both the projector and glasses would of course also work. Don't know if that's how it's implemented though.

Using lasers or narrow band width LEDs with the right wavelengths as light source you wouldn't need any projector filters, as you say, and the total light efficiency should be really high.

Many reasons to move away from bulb based light sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2283 Old 10-01-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

I'm guessing the glasses could be simpler than the projector filters. The glasses only need to block the three wavelengths from the wrong eye perspective. The projector filters need to block all wavelengths except the three for the correct eye. Using the narrow bandwidth projector filter for both the projector and glasses would of course also work. Don't know if that's how it's implemented though.

Correct. Also, the glasses are designed to filter a small amount of light, reflected from the screen. They are not designed, sadly, to handle the amount of light at the barrel end of the pj.

Quote:

Using lasers or narrow band width LEDs with the right wavelengths as light source you wouldn't need any projector filters, as you say, and the total light efficiency should be really high.

True too
post #33 of 2283 Old 10-01-2010, 07:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

Very good point, that would explain why the attempts to use the glasses on the projector caused a lot of ghosting, it's not blocking everything it should from the lamp. As you say, the glasses could be "bandcut" while the projector filter could be "bandpass". It's also possible that the "bandcut" glasses are either more efficient or much less expensive to produce.

The only way to know would be to measure the glasses... not sure what equipment to use though...
post #34 of 2283 Old 10-01-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Darin. I don`t remember where I read it, perhaps in a mag article or a white paper comparing the various efficiences of linear polarizer systems, circular polarizer systems, shutter glass systems, and the Infitec or dolby system. obviously there are variables such as for polarized two projectors, two filters, or oe projector and a single panel polarizers that switches polarity through electronics or whatever. Or various light spectrums or improving filter glass technology or shutter glass technology (more transmissive when not blocking) etc. The fiqure usually qoated for shutter glass systems operating at 144 are 83% and for dolby or Infitec (same thing) 94%.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #35 of 2283 Old 10-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Darin. I don`t remember where I read it, perhaps in a mag article or a white paper comparing the various efficiences of linear polarizer systems, circular polarizer systems, shutter glass systems, and the Infitec or dolby system. obviously there are variables such as for polarized two projectors, two filters, or oe projector and a single panel polarizers that switches polarity through electronics or whatever. Or various light spectrums or improving filter glass technology or shutter glass technology (more transmissive when not blocking) etc. The fiqure usually qoated for shutter glass systems operating at 144 are 83% and for dolby or Infitec (same thing) 94%.

And the real interesting figure is how much light they let through. In this case 17% and 6%, respectively. That means that the shutter glass approach is almost 3X more efficient. Makes you wonder how the manage to do it at all at commercial cinemas with Dolby 3D, and now we're talking huge screens...
post #36 of 2283 Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM

I'd be curious to check those 6 wavelengths against a xenon bulb versus a UHP bulb. I assume those theaters using dolby are most probably using xenon lamps ?
Since the whole dolby system is limited to the lowest emission of any of those 6 colors, and a UHP bulb has a very ugly emission graph, it could very well be much better with a xenon, as it's not that bad across most of the visible light.
But I haven't found what the wavelength are, nor the width of each color

Or maybe those cinemas calculated that the cost of a more powerful projector was less than the installation cost of a silver screen. They had to change the projector anyway for 3D. I look at the 3000$ for a small home theater Stewart, and I imagine a cinema screen must be very very expensive
post #37 of 2283 Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Actually, I have seen RealD 3D three times and Dolby 3D one time, all on big screens. I actully think the Dolby was the biggest one. And I can say for certain that the Dolby 3D was the brightest! By far! The RealD systems made you long for more light, but the Dolby not so. Makes you wonder what kind of projector, and bulb, they used.
post #38 of 2283 Old 10-02-2010, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I wasn`t disagreeing with you. Moreover, I have learned the futility of trying to do that although in very rare instances you are wrong but quick to correct yourself.. I was curious to know if you were there. According to my cell phone tracker, yes little brother is always watching you, you were not. Thanks for the confirmation. Don`t worry. I will not tell anybody where you were.

Mark, I just read my post again and realized that, in an attempt to be accurate, I actually came across as a bit of a dick. (insert your smart assed reply here)

Please accept my apology.

--------------------------------------------
"Wow, do you think you are Adonis"...... "Baby, I'm not A-donis, I'm THE-donis"
post #39 of 2283 Old 10-02-2010, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The filters on the machines block the same frequencies that the filters on the glasses block as I understand it. Ideally what I filter on the machine passes for one eye one would want the glasses filter for that eye to pass. I am wrong?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #40 of 2283 Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 AM

What happens when you put the left lens over the right lens ? is it black ?
post #41 of 2283 Old 10-02-2010, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don`t know what happens in theInfitec system. With polarizers, if the polarizers are perfect, a 90 degree rotation between two of the same should block all the light. Since nothing is perfect, probably some light would pass through. Darin has the Infitec lenses out of the glasses. What happens Darin?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #42 of 2283 Old 10-02-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

CM. No need to apologize. Really, I have the utmost respect of you despite an occasional idiosyncrasy.

Now on occasion but not a large percentage of the time you are a bit of a Dick. This might be due to you having a small one or something else. Frankly, I don`t want to know.

But occasionally we all get checked into the boards. Usually all I heard on such an occasion was a Canadian accent Bahuuuuuuuteeeee.

As a famous dead US President once said, Walk softly but carry a big stick. I do. Very big. Bahuuuuuteeee.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #43 of 2283 Old 10-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Now kids lets play nice
post #44 of 2283 Old 10-02-2010, 08:02 PM

group hug !
post #45 of 2283 Old 10-02-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You guys ever see him? You can hug him, not me. And we are not fighting. We respect and like each other. Its just that he is shy in real not internet life. you can hug me if you are an extremely good looking lady and promise not to file charges if I group you during the hug. I am cute and loveable even if properly classifiable as an old geezer. CM is an young geezer. Over the hill but not so far down the other side of the mountain that he can`t still see the top even though he can`t reach it anymore.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #46 of 2283 Old 10-03-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Are we talkin' AVS version of grumpy old men, here?
post #47 of 2283 Old 10-03-2010, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Very interesting thread. I think I'm going to go the cheap route for 3D while you guys sort all this stuff out for me!
post #48 of 2283 Old 10-03-2010, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I just read about Runco's new D-73 3D projector system, which uses this same sort of setup, using RealD (circular polarisation, we are discussing here) and dual projectors.

They call this CSV (Constant Stereoscopic Video) (as opposed to flickering active glasses) and say it "..is a vastly-superior approach to 3D visualization ...".

Interestingly, Runco's two projectors are rated for 1400 lumens each, not much different to the JVC RS50 I'm considering using here, but Runco's solution starts at about $50,000 - so I could probably build an equivalent system for less that a 1/4 of the price.

"...CSV utilizes unique passive-glasses technology, which is proven to be superior for the viewer and is usually only available in the finest public theaters" ...like MINE at home!

So, I definitely think I'm on the right track with the circular polarisation filters and two projectors - there will be a little fiddling and alignment when switching from 16x9 to Zoom mode, but I can live with that.
post #49 of 2283 Old 10-03-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Estimated cost of the dual projector, circular polarised system being discussed here can be very low indeed, depending on what projectors you are using.

Cost of 2 of the Optoma boxes @ $400 each - $800
Cost of the two polarising lenses - $400 to $1,500 (depending on type, and efficiency)

Then just add to that the cost of the projectors - which depends on your size screen and what resolution you want.

For instance - smaller screen? Go for the new JVC 250 at $2,999 each - total system cost (excluding screen) of under $8,000 ...RETAIL!

Have a bigger screen and want more juice? Pick another projector. I'm considering the JVC RS 50 units.

And if you don't need 1080p, there are a million even cheaper projectors that could fit the bill with even higher light output. Don't forget, based on how we are building this, you don't need HDMI 1.4 projectors.
post #50 of 2283 Old 10-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

With perfect LEDs where each projector had its LEDs at the correct wavelength for it, it seems that an Infitec system could have very low light loss.

--Darin

Another advantage of Infitec versus other technologies that might not be discussed here, is the fact that the "real world" looks very bright compared to shutter glasses, that basically dims your surroundings a whole lot.

With Shutter glasses you can barely see anything at all other than the screen (this isn't that big of a deal on pitch black theaters to begin with i guess.)

With Infitec glasses however, you can look around with out any real light loss if your 3d rig has some ambient light on purpose for the sake of being able to see around you.

I'm really starting to consider buying a cheap (and i mean cheap if anyone wants to sell ) extra RS1x so i can just run an infitec setup again, if i could find a way to color correct infitec on my HTPC, it'be a no brainer for me, it's the one thing holding me back for searching for a second projector instead of buying a brand new RS40.
post #51 of 2283 Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You can buy, if you play it right, an Infitec color correction box for about $6K from the US Infitec Importer.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #52 of 2283 Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamus View Post

Another advantage of Infitec versus other technologies that might not be discussed here, is the fact that the "real world" looks very bright compared to shutter glasses, that basically dims your surroundings a whole lot.

That's actually a disadvantage. The shutter glasses are increasing contrast compared to the Infitec by dimminishing the ambient light.
post #53 of 2283 Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Well, lets just call it a double edge sword.
Because that's actually a really good point.
post #54 of 2283 Old 10-03-2010, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Correct.

I asked you for a source and instead you just say that is how it works. Honestly, I get the feeling that you don't really know, are making an assumption, and passing it off as fact here. Maybe you actually do have some information to back this up, so please provide it if you have it. I'm not trying to get personal, but I know your history enough that I'm not going to be naive and just trust what you say without something to back it up. Especially when my initial measurements don't seem to support what you claimed (although it can get complicated and I wasn't mapping wavelengths, just total measured light).
Quote:
Originally Posted by omicronian View Post

What happens when you put the left lens over the right lens ? is it black ?

Good question. It is pretty dark, but not black to my eyes. But our eyes can adjust a lot. At one point I calculated that this blocked about 299/300th of the light (letting about .3% of the measured light through), but that could have been off depending on changing room conditions, which could have put it closer to 1% of the light that a high end meter measures making it through both lenses.

I also found that the angle of the lenses was very important. A little tilt could change the measured light significantly. I'm just going to give my final figures after realizing it was important to make sure the lenses were very perpendicular to the projector lens and meter lens.

I used a Minolta LS-110 that measures light off the screen and all measurements are in cd/m2. One of the lenses lets light through that looks very green and one very red, so I'll call them by those colors (and refer to them as filters). My room was getting a little bit of light into it and with the projector blocked and no Dolby lens on the meter I was getting about .01 cd/m2 near the end.

Here is what I got for measurements with a 100 IRE full screen image with an Epson 9500UB:

No filters: 51.8
Green filter on projector: 33.9
Green filter on projector and green filter on meter: 26.9
Green filter on projector and red filter on meter: .23

Red filter on projector: 8.8
Red filter on projector and red filter on meter: 7.4
Red filter on projector and green filter on meter: .16

I should probably mention that when I first started doing the measurements my room was getting enough light in that I measured .11 with the projector blocked and it wasn't too long after that when I tried putting both filters over the projector and measured .23 off the screen with no filter on the meter. But I don't know if the room light had changed by then.

As far as total light loss with this projector with a UHP lamp it looks like it goes from 51.8 to 34.3 if both eyes are added, or 17.2 if both eyes are averaged. Or a 67% loss if using the average of both eyes. I suspect that the 94% loss claim was not with a UHP lamp like this projector uses. Of course my figure doesn't take into account any color balancing.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #55 of 2283 Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And he does all this despite not having a 3D source. You are a mountain. Sir Edmond. Me? I just spend my time watching sports on my 2D projector.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #56 of 2283 Old 10-04-2010, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If the two SIM2 projectors start out at about 3000ANSI each or 6000 for the pair and you take away 94%, does that mean we were watching 360ANSI? It seemed much brighter than that.

Also, with the Infitec system, aren't the two projectors in essence displaying slightly different coordinates on the SMPTE chromaticity chart?
post #57 of 2283 Old 10-04-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:

You can buy, if you play it right, an Infitec color correction box for about $6K from the US Infitec Importer.

Who is the US Infitec importer?
post #58 of 2283 Old 10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

If the two SIM2 projectors start out at about 3000ANSI each or 6000 for the pair and you take away 94%, does that mean we were watching 360ANSI? It seemed much brighter than that.

As you are referring to ANSI lumens, the system brightness is actually 9000 or 4500 each.

post #59 of 2283 Old 10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: From Coconut Grove FL to the rest of the globe with TLC.
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine View Post

I dont need to have seen all that was there for my statement to be valid. I was not commenting on the totality of what is available, simply the range of capability.

I have seen 2 of the 3 best systems that were there, and found them, "In terms of fidelity and immersion" to be "very good". I have also seen some of the others that were displayed, and found them to be "terrible". Therefore my comment on the range of performance is valid.

Your own comments would appear echo my sentiments.

Did you think I was not going to find this subversive comment buried in this forum Mistress Fellateeoh?

She is lying again..... FIND OUT THE TRUTH.
post #60 of 2283 Old 10-06-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Did you think I was not going to find this subversive comment buried in this forum Mistress Fellateeoh?

She is lying again..... FIND OUT THE TRUTH.

Peter, read my post again FFS, there is nothing you need be concerned about, or that refers to you in any way. Certainly nothing that warrants you interrupting your salad tossing activities.

I simply point out that the range of 3D is from excellent to crap, and that I did not need to attend CEDIA to be aware of that.

Kudos on taking the most tenuous of links and converting that into a blatantly opportunistic bout of self aggrandizement.

I shall redress this minor ad hominem elsewhere.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page