The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 2269 Old 03-27-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
http://www.projectorreviews.com/proj...-overview.html
"Also an actual image is only being displayed to each eye less than 50% of the time and this can be as low as 25% of the time."
Just spewing what I have read. This is how Epson/Panasonic improve brightness is by reducing the time both eyes are black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2269 Old 03-27-2012, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
if this has been posted sry, but it is a must read for anyone new with questions...

http://www.projectorreviews.com/proj...on-part-3.html
post #1443 of 2269 Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 AM

First off, I'm amazed at the work done in this thread. Made my choice to go dual projectors a no-brainer.

I'm Just in the beginning of buying my final setup but have one question I hope someone can help with.

The specs for the 3DBee says: "Compatible with 2 projectors and polarizing filters on silver screen".

However, shouldn't any polarization work with the 3DBee, also the Omega Optical kit from Motorman? (I purchased one of these yesterday and hope the wait won't be too long ;-)).

My two 3d-xl boxes are hopefully arriving tomorrow so I can get started testing on two "borrowed" projectors. Haven't decided on which projectors I'll go for yet so any good suggestions are welcome :-)
post #1444 of 2269 Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

so that is just a 2D-3D converter. Yes, the output method won't be affected by it. You know it isn't going to be the same thing as real 3D I hope. Make sure you have a PS3 or 3D Bluray player and one real 3D BR.
post #1445 of 2269 Old 03-29-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any word on the 3d demuxer?
post #1446 of 2269 Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Any word on the 3d demuxer?

i know pteradacdyl ( sp ? ) is working on his still and it looks like it will be a good choice. my group is working on a cheaper alternative from the folks that make the geo box 501, they make a 300 or 301 series that is basic and should be less than two 3dxl's. it all depens on volume one can committ to.

post #1447 of 2269 Old 03-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

the latest setup we are going to build to demo/ test the omega 3d kit.
2. Optoma HD20's and quad core PC with nvidia quadro fx 4400 to demux.

post #1448 of 2269 Old 03-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post

quad core PC with nvidia quadro fx 4400 to demux.

You have a software demuxer for 3D Blu Ray?
post #1449 of 2269 Old 03-29-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:

the latest setup we are going to build to demo/ test the omega 3d kit.
2. Optoma HD20's and quad core PC with nvidia quadro fx 4400 to demux.

why HD20 over AR100U?
post #1450 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

The Omega Optical package containing the kit arrived in my mailbox.
I haven't tested them on my projectors yet, I just picked them and tested them looking through my window.
The extinction is really impressive compared to polarising filters, however the most impressive thing was that colours through the filter look identical to unfiltered (only reduced brightness), you have to angle the filter significantly to see colours being changed. A few years ago, I tried the same with Infitec glasses and the colours were significantly modified, and different between the two eyes, which doesn't happen with the Omega filters. So far, so good.

Now, this was just a quick test with natural light from outside, I'll now have to see if it still works with the light coming from the LCD projectors. I'm optimistic but I'll test that later, I first need to figure out a simple way to temporarily hang the filters in front of the projectors, and then find a more practical and permanent solution.

The glasses seem to be comfortable on the nose, they do reflect my eye quite a bit (but that's in the day light), I'm surprised by the behaviour of interference filters :
I'm used to absorption filters which blacken the filtered light, interference filters reflect back the filtered light like a mirror.
There's juuuust one thing about the glasses.... the style. They REALLY look dorky, its fine for 3D fans like us and for a first batch but your next step will really be to figure out a way to make decent looking glasses, because some people I know will never dare to wear them.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #1451 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

How is the weight compared to your passive glasses?
post #1452 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

They are heavier than the RealD-imitation glasses that I use, but I can't say how much just by hand, I'd need a scale to know. All I can say is they're noticeably heavier but not shockingly heavier.
However they clearly feel like they're made from a cheaper plastic and they aren't foldable. But they do fit within each other so a bunch of them won't take much more space than a single pair.
Overall they feel like the pair of theme park glasses you'd gladly give back to the cinema after the movie.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #1453 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

here is a different demux box being offered from the same guys that make the geobox 501. this seems to be decent all in one unit. it is not hdmi but could be i think. i tried to upload the pdf i have on the other units but its too big.

Geo-Box-G-300.pdf 119.623046875k . file

post #1454 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post

They are heavier than the RealD-imitation glasses that I use, but I can't say how much just by hand, I'd need a scale to know. All I can say is they're noticeably heavier but not shockingly heavier.
However they clearly feel like they're made from a cheaper plastic and they aren't foldable. But they do fit within each other so a bunch of them won't take much more space than a single pair.
Overall they feel like the pair of theme park glasses you'd gladly give back to the cinema after the movie.

thats exactly what they were intended to be like lol mass produced cheap, they dont fold so you cant put them in your pocket and steal them, and dorky yes.. i would like to make a better frame but dont have the budget yet to do so.
one article from a uk theater said they liked them being kind of ugly as people wouldnt want to steal them..

post #1455 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post

The Omega Optical package containing the kit arrived in my mailbox.
I haven't tested them on my projectors yet, I just picked them and tested them looking through my window.
The extinction is really impressive compared to polarising filters, however the most impressive thing was that colours through the filter look identical to unfiltered (only reduced brightness), you have to angle the filter significantly to see colours being changed. A few years ago, I tried the same with Infitec glasses and the colours were significantly modified, and different between the two eyes, which doesn't happen with the Omega filters. So far, so good.

Now, this was just a quick test with natural light from outside, I'll now have to see if it still works with the light coming from the LCD projectors. I'm optimistic but I'll test that later, I first need to figure out a simple way to temporarily hang the filters in front of the projectors, and then find a more practical and permanent solution.

The glasses seem to be comfortable on the nose, they do reflect my eye quite a bit (but that's in the day light), I'm surprised by the behaviour of interference filters :
I'm used to absorption filters which blacken the filtered light, interference filters reflect back the filtered light like a mirror.
There's juuuust one thing about the glasses.... the style. They REALLY look dorky, its fine for 3D fans like us and for a first batch but your next step will really be to figure out a way to make decent looking glasses, because some people I know will never dare to wear them.

im glad you like what you see so far. it is part of the design that in white light they are both very neutral as both eyes get full color. when it comes to the spectral output of projectors it changes some but the idea still works well. ive been supprised by some of the color effects that the UHP lamps have had on color. not horrible but differant than what it was used to with xenon based projectors.
it seems a lot of UHP lamp systems have notches or dips in the green band area that alter the L-R colors some. calibration state makes a differance as well. could be a different calibration for these filters on some systems would help to balance things more than i have been used to needing done.
let us know how it all works for you
cheers

post #1456 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:

here is a different demux box being offered from the same guys that make the geobox 501. this seems to be decent all in one unit. it is not hdmi but could be i think. i tried to upload the pdf i have on the other units but its too big.

How much?
post #1457 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 View Post

How much?

i will find out soon. they said they are working on a less expensive alternative to the 501 that is all hdmi connections. this one should be less than the cost of two 3dxl's. it would have to be so its competitive.

post #1458 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i will find out soon. they said they are working on a less expensive alternative to the 501 that is all hdmi connections. this one should be less than the cost of two 3dxl's. it would have to be so its competitive.

Please find out and post. this is what I am looking for before I jump in!
post #1459 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:

From the brochure - dual channel Outputs: each channel with 1x DVI-I output (support DVI-D, VGA (with VGA—DVI adapter), HDMI-A (with HDMI—DVI adapter) up to full HD resolution.

Even without HDMI Out, are a couple of $2 HDMI-A-DVI adapters all that would need to be added? I guess an hdmi splitter would still be needed for audio? It says it has hdmi audio out, but I don't see it in the pic.
post #1460 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckong View Post

You have a software demuxer for 3D Blu Ray?

the stereoscopic player from 3dtv.at can play blue ray disks to some degree. you have to locate the video file thru the player to play them. there is an article on their site about it.
i thnk a Bluray player run thru an hdmi demultiplexor is the easiest method for watching blueray on a dual stack passive system,

post #1461 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyj2 View Post

From the brochure - dual channel Outputs: each channel with 1x DVI-I output (support DVI-D, VGA (with VGADVI adapter), HDMI-A (with HDMIDVI adapter) up to full HD resolution.

Even without HDMI Out, are a couple of $2 HDMI-A-DVI adapters all that would need to be added? I guess an hdmi splitter would still be needed for audio? It says it has hdmi audio out, but I don't see it in the pic.

yes it looks like an hdmi adapter would be all that is needed here. i thnk a splitter is needed to get hdmi audio out but it has audio output on the from pannel. not the same i know but they said they are working on a newer version of a box like this. i will find out as soon as i can.

post #1462 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A curved 16X9 screen for 3d would be cool too! Any chance you can get manual and upload it?
Are you going to be getting these or just thinking about it or what? I think if it is reasonably priced it could be a great buy. I would even get it for the curved screen set up for 2D possibly if it is affordable and fits my application.
My understanding is that it can alter the picture for a curved screen without an anamorphic lens to create a more immersive feeling?
post #1463 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 02:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

yes it looks like an hdmi adapter would be all that is needed here. i thnk a splitter is needed to get hdmi audio out but it has audio output on the from pannel. not the same i know but they said they are working on a newer version of a box like this. i will find out as soon as i can.

Keep in mind many of the newer blu ray players and AVR receivers offer dual HDMI outputs. I know my new Panasonic Blu ray 310 player has dual hdmi out.
post #1464 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

A curved 16X9 screen for 3d would be cool too! Any chance you can get manual and upload it?
Are you going to be getting these or just thinking about it or what? I think if it is reasonably priced it could be a great buy. I would even get it for the curved screen set up for 2D possibly if it is affordable and fits my application.
My understanding is that it can alter the picture for a curved screen without an anamorphic lens to create a more immersive feeling?

our company is looking into offering something like this but a decision has not been made as of yet. we are getting options together. i would love to have one to test at least as well as offer it as a kit with optics.
i will try to find the manual. i should be able to get one soon.
a curved screen would be the best for 2d or 3d. this box dose offer that ability with no anamorphic lens it seems. i need to look into how to make a curved screen now

post #1465 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg View Post

Keep in mind many of the newer blu ray players and AVR receivers offer dual HDMI outputs. I know my new Panasonic Blu ray 310 player has dual hdmi out.

a player with two outputs would be the best option i agree. the demux box also makes it possible to split a signal form a pc as well as a BD player or a game console. no need to have a high end card to demux with or run special software as well

post #1466 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaedg View Post

My understanding is that the panasonic BRD player has one HDMI for audio and one for video.

Motorman45, please find and post the manual and possible prices. Thank you.
post #1467 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Hey motorman we have a curved screen at my work and tested looks awesome

16ft x 10 ft

Using a fps box for the curved screen
post #1468 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Hey motorman we have a curved screen at my work and tested looks awesome

16ft x 10 ft

Using a fps box for the curved screen

What is a fps box? What projector(s)? Also did you use a processor for the curved screen image or not?
post #1469 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Could you talk to them about having dual link DVI input for future 1080p 120hz?
post #1470 of 2269 Old 03-30-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 View Post

Could you talk to them about having dual link DVI input for future 1080p 120hz?

i will see what they say. although the connector says DVI-I ( single link) it looks like it is DVI-D ( dual link ) i get the feeling these guys may actually make the interface/ boards for some of the big names in the 3D display world .
its not clear what frame rate is supported other than 24 for 1080p currently even though it shows 120hz for 720p? i need some $$ to get some to test.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page