The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1651 of 2269 Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was also wondering if you guys are planning on making glasses with a simple glasses frame (or any other style glasses). I would definitely pay a little more for glasses that rest on the ears instead of squeezing the head. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 2269 Old 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojuicy View Post

I was also wondering if you guys are planning on making glasses with a simple glasses frame (or any other style glasses). I would definitely pay a little more for glasses that rest on the ears instead of squeezing the head. Thanks again!

We would but it take $$ to make a mold for a new frame. we are looking into better frames. i did post in this thread a ways back how i edge ground some lenses to fit a different pair of frames. the orientation and geometry is important but i cover that in that post.
you can also modify the current frame if you like to fit better. it is Nylon and will heat mold easy with a heat gun. ive re-shaped some to fit my 6yo. i do admit the frames are not fantastic but the light shielding is important depending on how much room light there is. they were designed to be low cost mass production for cinema use and tested to withstand washing in a commertial washer unit that is sold with the panavision 3D branded version of our system.

post #1653 of 2269 Old 04-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman45 View Post

We would but it take $$ to make a mold for a new frame. we are looking into better frames. i did post in this thread a ways back how i edge ground some lenses to fit a different pair of frames. the orientation and geometry is important but i cover that in that post.
you can also modify the current frame if you like to fit better. it is Nylon and will heat mold easy with a heat gun. ive re-shaped some to fit my 6yo. i do admit the frames are not fantastic but the light shielding is important depending on how much room light there is. they were designed to be low cost mass production for cinema use and tested to withstand washing in a commertial washer unit that is sold with the panavision 3D branded version of our system.

In my experience, glasses actually dont compress your head. they go on the ears and very comfortable. however, they dont want to stay on the nose. they might fall off depending on the nose. if that part is improved it is good enough. yes, they are ugly but people wont notice that because they will be blown away because of the 3D
post #1654 of 2269 Old 04-25-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I have the filters set up and my two projectors converged, but now I run into a problem that can only be explained this way -- the Oppo BD player does not output a 3D signal out of both HDMI outs at the same time. I switched cables to the 3D-XL Optoma boxes and each box will work from one of the outputs, but not the other one. So the only explanation I can think of is that the Oppo doesn't have this capability.

Oppo's promotional material says "For a multi-room installation the BDP-93 can output audio and video to two 3D or 2D T.V.s..." Doesn't work for me.

Have you called/written Oppo about this? They have excellent customer service, so I would expect them to provide an explanation as to why their literature says that it supports two 3D video output streams over HDMI 1 and 2. Perhaps they'll provide a firmware solution if it isn't providing dual 3D out as advertised.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #1655 of 2269 Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efendy View Post

In my experience, glasses actually dont compress your head. they go on the ears and very comfortable. however, they dont want to stay on the nose. they might fall off depending on the nose. if that part is improved it is good enough. yes, they are ugly but people wont notice that because they will be blown away because of the 3D

that has been my experiance with the frames as well, they do sit on your ears and the nose bridge is not great. ive also modified these aspects on my own pair by using a bridge from another frame and some epoxy, oh and a little dremel work lol.
in one test showing in a theater we had 200 people and handed out glasses with surveys, in general people were amazed at what was on the screen and how clear it was, few had anything to say about the glasses.

post #1656 of 2269 Old 04-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Which player do you guys like the best for playing 3D Blu Rays on the PC? Will the Stereoscopic player work ? Will PowerDVD play 3D Blu Rays through the dual output video cards? As always i really appreciate the help!
post #1657 of 2269 Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Does anyone have experience with rear projection 3D screens? DaLite has "3D virtual black" and Harkness makes "Translite Stereo". The extinction for translite is almost double that of Spectral 240. Do these screens have the same downfall for 2D content as most front 3D screens. Is it possible to use mirrors with polarized rear projection?
post #1658 of 2269 Old 04-28-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any word on a new 3d demuxer yet?
post #1659 of 2269 Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 View Post

Does anyone have experience with rear projection 3D screens? DaLite has "3D virtual black" and Harkness makes "Translite Stereo". The extinction for translite is almost double that of Spectral 240. Do these screens have the same downfall for 2D content as most front 3D screens. Is it possible to use mirrors with polarized rear projection?

Yes mirros work fine with any 3D system look at this

http://www.visbox.com/viscube-C4-WQ.html

these guys use all types of 3D with a mirror to fold the path and several kinds of screens. i really like the idea of rear screen projection 3D and these VR caves are really cool. were talking to these guys and they have my filters for testing.

post #1660 of 2269 Old 04-28-2012, 03:51 PM

My Omega-kit finally arrived so my setup is now complete and there really is just one word to describe it : WOW.

I'm projecting to a 135" white standard (cheap) screen using Panasonic PT-AR100U and two 3D-XL-boxes.
I run both from computer and from PS3 via the PS3-MediaServer and both options does it perfectly.

I struggled a bit at first to get my filters alligned with the beam so saw some ghosting at first, but after I managed to get them alligned, ghosting is simply not an issue, there's no ghosting at all. Nothing - zip - zero. Soo pleasant

I have tried many different 3D-solutions, both in homes and in cinemas and none of them even come close in quality and the feeling of beeing "easy on the eyes".
Usually I have felt eye-strain from watching 3D, especially with shutter-glasses, but also when going to different cinemas using passive systems.
With this setup finished I stayed on my couch for 5 straight hours of watching and it just felt so relaxing to the eyes.

Only problem for me at this stage is a little trouble getting the colors 100%, they are good but not perfect, so hoping and believing the change to lcd-filters will do the trick.

For anyone considering going passive-3D, there's but one recommendation from me, go the Omega way
post #1661 of 2269 Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 PM

I know this thread has turned mostly toward the Omega 3D solution, but I have been keeping up with the 3D blog and found it interesting that the newer Epson projectors now have uniform internal polarization...

http://www.projectorreviews.com/proj...on-part-5.html

Would anyone be willing to test their new LCD or SXRD projectors to confirm this? I know a few people have dual AR100U and I would love to know if those also have uniform polarization.
post #1662 of 2269 Old 04-30-2012, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenningHM View Post

My Omega-kit finally arrived so my setup is now complete and there really is just one word to describe it : WOW.

I'm projecting to a 135" white standard (cheap) screen using Panasonic PT-AR100U and two 3D-XL-boxes.
I run both from computer and from PS3 via the PS3-MediaServer and both options does it perfectly.

I struggled a bit at first to get my filters alligned with the beam so saw some ghosting at first, but after I managed to get them alligned, ghosting is simply not an issue, there's no ghosting at all. Nothing - zip - zero. Soo pleasant

I have tried many different 3D-solutions, both in homes and in cinemas and none of them even come close in quality and the feeling of beeing "easy on the eyes".
Usually I have felt eye-strain from watching 3D, especially with shutter-glasses, but also when going to different cinemas using passive systems.
With this setup finished I stayed on my couch for 5 straight hours of watching and it just felt so relaxing to the eyes.

Only problem for me at this stage is a little trouble getting the colors 100%, they are good but not perfect, so hoping and believing the change to lcd-filters will do the trick.

For anyone considering going passive-3D, there's but one recommendation from me, go the Omega way

Hi HenningHM. I also create a 3D system using Omega 3d kit, 2 Panasonic PT-Ar100U and 2 Optoma 3D-XL. Hope that within 10 days to make the system work. I have some questions. Please if you have the kindness to answer them.
-With wath splitter divided the 3D signal into two? I have Cablesson® 1x2 HDMI Splitter (3D, 1080p) Lastest Version.
- What system you used to position the filters in front of the projector lens?
- Projectors are placed one after the other, or one above the other? Thank you
post #1663 of 2269 Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorini View Post

Hi HenningHM. I also create a 3D system using Omega 3d kit, 2 Panasonic PT-Ar100U and 2 Optoma 3D-XL. Hope that within 10 days to make the system work. I have some questions. Please if you have the kindness to answer them.
-With wath splitter divided the 3D signal into two? I have Cablesson® 1x2 HDMI Splitter (3D, 1080p) Lastest Version.
- What system you used to position the filters in front of the projector lens?
- Projectors are placed one after the other, or one above the other? Thank you

- This is my splitter: http://www.findthatcable.co.uk/hq-hi...-splitter.html

- I have my projectors mounted on a wooden shelf and the filters are mounted on the front edge of this shelf using a bracket.

- My projectors are placed side-by-side but it also worked fine mounting one on top of the other, I just didn't have enough space to do it that way.
post #1664 of 2269 Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenningHM View Post

I am very happy its working so well. especially the ease on the eyes, that is important. i know the colors have some differance and the LCD filters should help that some. cheers

post #1665 of 2269 Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

here is a new youtube video that shows the simple and cheap rack i made. its a promo for the system but it shows the parts on a PC based setup pretty well. i will try and improve the audio some more, it was a quick take.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10xwnUi5usU

post #1666 of 2269 Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 View Post

I know this thread has turned mostly toward the Omega 3D solution, but I have been keeping up with the 3D blog and found it interesting that the newer Epson projectors now have uniform internal polarization...

http://www.projectorreviews.com/proj...on-part-5.html

Would anyone be willing to test their new LCD or SXRD projectors to confirm this? I know a few people have dual AR100U and I would love to know if those also have uniform polarization.

I have a 3010. I'll check it later this week.
post #1667 of 2269 Old 04-30-2012, 02:32 PM

Liked: 12
Sorry, I gotta get a dumb question out of the way. Do you have to remove the filters to go back to 2d viewing?
post #1668 of 2269 Old 04-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintman View Post

Sorry, I gotta get a dumb question out of the way. Do you have to remove the filters to go back to 2d viewing?

It all depends on your setup. If the alignment is good and your happy with the brightness. Then no. You can mount one on a hinge and flip the filter down and run one projector as well. On my rig I can run 2d fine with filters in place and both projectors on.

post #1669 of 2269 Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 PM

Hmm, interesting...thanks for the reply. I'm considering going this route because my Acer h5360 just doesn't cut it in 3d mode on my 147" screen. Are most people using projectors with lens shift? I noticed with the YouTube video that the projectors being used appear to be a couple of Optomas that do not have lens shift. Seems like it would be hard to get them properly aligned.? So far, the Panasonic AR100 appears to probably be the best choice for my set up. Any other projector recommendations?

Edit: upon checking out the other YouTube video, not sure what projectors those are, but still going to assume my thoughts about needing some lens shift for proper alignment. Really wish I could've scored a couple of those panasonics when they had the 300 dollar rebate going on.
post #1670 of 2269 Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm, interesting...thanks for the reply. I'm considering going this route because my Acer h5360 just doesn't cut it in 3d mode on my 147" screen. Are most people using projectors with lens shift? I noticed with the YouTube video that the projectors being used appear to be a couple of Optomas that do not have lens shift. Seems like it would be hard to get them properly aligned.? So far, the Panasonic AR100 appears to probably be the best choice for my set up. Any other projector recommendations?

Edit: upon checking out the other YouTube video, not sure what projectors those are, but still going to assume my thoughts about needing some lens shift for proper alignment. Really wish I could've scored a couple of those panasonics when they had the 300 dollar rebate going on.

the Acer is a good unit, with another one just like it in a dual stack it would do well. the projectors in the youtube video are Infocus IN104's, similar to your acer. ive been running them on a 12' screen with very good results.
as far as lens shift i dont see it being a must unless the placement of the projectors is hard to get the image on your screen. the alignment really was not that hard and has more to do with the mount and lens throw.
short throw systems under 1.4:1 may be slightly harder but stacking them helps and having some fine adjustment makes it easier too.
the AR100 is a very nice unit. if you go for those make sure to get an LCD optomized kit, if you go with the omega filters. it will look great.

post #1671 of 2269 Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 AM

Gotcha. Thank you very much for the info and help. I definitely want to try the Omega filters. I may 'cheap-out' then and just get another 5360 to try, but then again, I'm scared i'll really like it and follow up with regrets of not going on up to full 1080p. Indecisiveness sucks!
post #1672 of 2269 Old 05-01-2012, 02:56 PM

Another question: Are there instructions or suggestions for a dual projector ceiling mount, or is it recommended to stick with a table mount (which I wouldn't be able to do if I continue with my current equipment)? I found an Infocus stacker mount, but it's a little pricey. Guess I could maybe brainstorm something but figured there already better ideas out there. Thanks again.
post #1673 of 2269 Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Another question: Are there instructions or suggestions for a dual projector ceiling mount, or is it recommended to stick with a table mount (which I wouldn't be able to do if I continue with my current equipment)? I found an Infocus stacker mount, but it's a little pricey. Guess I could maybe brainstorm something but figured there already better ideas out there. Thanks again.

there are a lot of ways to do that kind of mount and all of them seem like a little more work than table top. a shelf on a rear wall is the simple way but here is a pair of mounts used in this example

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...or,2589-7.html

one is just longer than the other. its one way but i would go for something like a shelf if the space allows.

post #1674 of 2269 Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM

there is also this mount which might work better. although the projectors are a little spaced apart so your v-shift would have to make up the difference:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Ceiling.html
post #1675 of 2269 Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

there is also this mount which might work better. although the projectors are a little spaced apart so your v-shift would have to make up the difference:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Ceiling.html

that looks pretty good and a decent price. looks like you could also move the mounts closer together with a little drilling and tapping some new holes.

post #1676 of 2269 Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have to take my time and really think through what will be the best way to go. My old set-up was done via a shelf, but unfortunately, I won't be able to do that in my new location due to the projector being stuck in a corner and by a window.
post #1677 of 2269 Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM

when using the stereoscopic player which settings do you guys recommend for the playback into the dual projectors (when using the Omega Kit)?
post #1678 of 2269 Old 05-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Here's the problem I'm running into: I have ripped a 3D Blu-ray using DVDFab into a MKV format. I am then trying to play that file using the Stereoscopic Player with the playback settings set to Dual Screen Output, however when I do there is nothing displayed on either screen. Does anyone know where I went wrong? Should I be ripping the Blu-ray with a different format (mpeg4?)? Or should I be using a different setting for viewing output in Stereoscopic Player? Thank you so much for your time/help.
post #1679 of 2269 Old 05-04-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Here's the problem I'm running into: I have ripped a 3D Blu-ray using DVDFab into a MKV format. I am then trying to play that file using the Stereoscopic Player with the playback settings set to Dual Screen Output, however when I do there is nothing displayed on either screen. Does anyone know where I went wrong? Should I be ripping the Blu-ray with a different format (mpeg4?)? Or should I be using a different setting for viewing output in Stereoscopic Player? Thank you so much for your time/help.

Can you play MKV file in any other player (WMP, MPC-HC, ...)?
Stereoscopic Player is quite intuitive, just a guess, but you are probably not doing anything wrong there...

SP can generally play any ripped format, however for best quality you might want to use MKV with two video streams: left one copied directly from blu-ray, right one reencoded with approximately same bitrate.
post #1680 of 2269 Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 AM

could someone post the link to the 3d test images for aligning the projectors? I am at at friends trying to test his projectors with the omega kit I just got, but I forgot to bring the CD with all the test images thanks
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page