The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #2281 of 2293 Old 10-14-2014, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newrep...ply&p=28207834

better do a sli or crossfire setup from startup. im running gtx660ti x2 SLI and it´s ok for many games but no i see it getting short. and at new year when oculus ect
vr is released you gonna need the extra power and it does not hurt to have it now eather. my next setup is propably 970 6GB * 2 SLI
with 4GB card your run pretty good now but the 6GB cards have been slowly creep in if you wanna play with the best textyres.
i remember when 1GB cards were introduced and nomoby did not believe you would never need more than 512MB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2293 Old 10-14-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
Frequencies don't add up this way. 1/60 + 1/60 != 1/120
You will get 120 frames but they won't be distinct, they will overlap, shutter glasses won't be able to sort them.
You're right... I am getting sloppy. Two of them will only give 30 fps in frame-sequential, the same as one projector.
Quote:
But for gaming, the ideal is the most powerful single chip graphics card you can afford in order to keep framerates as high as possible even in the latest games.
Do you know if 295X works as single-chip?
post #2283 of 2293 Old 10-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Multi GPUs on a single board still act like multiple GPUs.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #2284 of 2293 Old 12-09-2014, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been gone a while after selling my twin W6000's a while back. I'll probably re-read all of this but if yall don't mind giving me a few updates I would appreciate it.

1. I wan't to do polarized (unless yall have found projectors that can color correct perfectly for the omega system). What current projectors have all colors aligned for wave retarders? Last I checked I was looking at the Epson 5010, it had all 3 aligned and was a light cannon... anything newer or better?

2. Geobox options, I read real quick that they are updated for 120hz, whats the experience like so far with how it handles it, warping working at the same time?

3. Back to #1 , best front or rear projection screen material to eliminate ghosting?
post #2285 of 2293 Old 12-09-2014, 02:07 PM

Ghost free picture is what one wants. I think omega is the only conciderable choise to go if one wants to viel 3d material currently. Maby oculus is Also.
Active flickers and ghosts, shure the colors are accurate ect. But me atleast would not want to watch.
Polarizers are definetly no go. After using omega, even with color correction
I would not wanna go Back to my polarizers.
Hc5 with Sony panels and dlp omega filtters is great. Propably even better with the LCD versions.
post #2286 of 2293 Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 PM

I would never go with active polarization, I do however believe after doing my own test that dual projection polarization works well. My experience with the Omega system was good but the color accuracy didn't meet my needs. It is a personal personal decision based on the pros and cons, I would rather have a small % of ghosting than ruin color accuracy. Having said that, the right set of projectors may change my mind in reguards to the Omega system.

My budget only allowed me to test two BenQ W6000s with Omega, one filter (can't remember which) I was able to adjust color enough to meet my needs, but the other filter significantly altered the colors. When I was able to get colors close to accurate one projector was much dimmer, which caused eye strain for 3d viewing. Bottom line, it wasn't possible to match colors and brightness with the omega filters to the point I was satisfied, I think you would need an external color correction solution. That isn't to say that another set of projectors couldn't work, and if you know of any and have tested them please let me know!
post #2287 of 2293 Old 12-10-2014, 01:27 PM

hc5 has very good manual iris. it helps a lot to balance the brightness.
yes it´s really important to get all to match.
brightness
gamma
and colors.
i would love to test also my polarizers with superb screen material.
but for what i tested samples of known best material the polarisation retention rate was not anyway better than the
screen i painted with silverscreen paint.
but it´s tru polarizers keep the colors in balance much better.
post #2288 of 2293 Old 12-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

My situation is the opposite.
I use dual projectors, and I also have both a polarised set and an omega set of filters and glasses, however I tend to prefer the polarised system.

My projectors are old Epson EH TW3500 (the european equivalent of the Epson HomeCinema 8100), with the lens slightly offset to the side and the primary colours cross-polarised (green is polarised vertically, red and blue are horizontal)

I knew from the very beginning that mitigating crosstalk in the polarising technique requires a very high quality silverscreen, I got my screen from Harkness screens UK (screen material only, to attach on a DIY frame). It's among the top screen material i could get, and made 100% for 3D (no compromise for 2D)
About rear projection : i have never tested it but all the pllarisation extinction ratio charts I have seen for 3D rear projection show significantly better properties than front projection screens.
If you have the space, a specialized rear projection made for polarised 3D shlould be better, with significantly less crosstalk.

On my front-projection screen crosstalk is present but surprisingly tolerable given how much bleeding I can see when I do a crosstalk test.
I started with standard linear filters. Yes, they do work with cross-polarised colours, you just need to set them at 45/135° instead of vertical/horizontal, and use the appropriate set of glasses. There is a small issue with colour uniformity though.
I later got a set of special purpose SPAR filters from Advisol designed for cross polarized projectors, they leverage significantly more light (almost no visible brightness loss between 2D and 3D) and provide better colour uniformity (but don't eliminate it completely.

Then came Omega.
Their solution is really nice, it's cheaper, simpler, no need for silverscreens and with zero crosstalk. What's not to like ?
Well a few things : my projectors don't provide very good colours with Omega, no matter how much tweaking I tried, I couldn't get good reds or cyans in one eye. I could get them somewhat acceptable but never good.
Second is ambient light issues : my projectors are in my living room, not a dedicated cinema cave, so I've got white walls and a white ceiling which cause small reflections of your eyes inside the omega reflective filters, unless I wear a cap. And don't even think about having ANY ambient lights in the room, not even controlled lights because artificial lights (CFL or even most LEDs) have a different colour in each eye when viewed through the Omega filters (incandescent light bulbs no longer exist around here).
The ergonomics are also a little less good : the Omega lenses are narrow, since I also wear prescription glasses, there is barely enough field of view to watch the whole screen, it makes them feel a little claustrophobic. By comparison, the polarised glasses I have are huge (same shape as RealD but with linear polarisers instead of circular).

And finally brightness, Omegas filter about the same amount as standard polarising filters, but I also have SPARs which are much brighter... the playing field isn't level.
So in the end polarised wins for me.
jmcguire525 and Elix like this.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 12-16-2014 at 05:04 PM. Reason: added rear projection paragraph
post #2289 of 2293 Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

Pretty much spot on with my experience and future plans BlackShark, A few Epson 5010's with wave retarders should preform really well. Any idea what effects a mirror has on polarization? From my research, you are right about rear projection 3d being better for extinction ratios. I would like to have a setup like this, but I imagine the mirrors would ruin the idea...
post #2290 of 2293 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

When I look at myself in a mirror with polarised glasses on, it appears to keep the polarisation.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #2291 of 2293 Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

Have anyoff you with omega filtters try to make color profiles for left and right projector with colorimeter like x-rite or similar,
calibrating with omega filtters on, then using stereo player ect. that
supports dual projector setup to play some stereo content.
post #2292 of 2293 Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have a colorimeter. but the main thing with Omega on my projectors is that no matter the RGB or hue settings, I simply cannot produce certain colours in one eye : red and cyan don't exist in the right eye, at best I have orange and white.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #2293 of 2293 Old Today, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I don't have a colorimeter. but the main thing with Omega on my projectors is that no matter the RGB or hue settings, I simply cannot produce certain colours in one eye : red and cyan don't exist in the right eye, at best I have orange and white.
Well thats a problem. With hc5 all the colors are there, it,S just problematic like with red the other channel has brighter red and if i Try to increase the other projector red to get the same intensity the red color is burned when i get there so for red its a matter of balance between how close i wanna get and how much im willing to burn the red of the other projector.
I got pretty good reissults with hc5s own color settings but the only bigger issue is with the overal hue or the so call tint of the channels. Other to yellowish, and other to Blue. But i have only the dlp version of omega filtters. I would love to test the LCD versions.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page