The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread - Page 78 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #2311 of 2318 Old 02-14-2015, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
I'm going to post some information in the 3D screens thread shortly on my thoughts on the 5D and some other screen materials I looked at.

W. Jeff Meier in his Screen material test report pretty much nails the 2D performance description for the 5D - color reproduction is excellent, it has a very smooth surface and you do get some shimmer due to the reflective elements in the screen. IMO any screen with gain has hotspotting and this is a silver screen with gain and reflective elements so it's definitely not a 'clean' 2D screen. I have an HP 2.4 Da-Lite screen as well for comparison and while that's a better screen for 2D from a 'clean' reflective elements perspective, the color reproduction isn't as good as that on the 5D.

For 2D I only use one projector which is set in ECO mode and I have the white level turned down to 13ftl from about 17-18ftl. Having one lamp age differently isn't an issue as I can recalibrate as time goes on with the Radiance units\Calman and both projectors will still match in their light output and color balance.

i think the easiest way to get riddof hotspotting is go curved.
Had for a while but dropped it down while i was waiting my omega filtters. I might Try it one more time maby some time if there comes superbly better silverscreens. Im bothered about the ghosting every silver seems to have, atleast based on samples compared to one i have.
Curved screen is pretty easy to do if you get yourself some metal/aluminiumin to make a frame and use some threaded
Rod on top and bottom attached to the screen material, just tie from the Sail holes if you have them on your screen material.
Then have some stoppers at left and right top and bottom of the frame at the screen edge level to force the threaded rod to bend backwards. Just have the frame mounted off the wall 20-30 cm with some shelf holderit so there is room for bendings.
After maskin the tie strings of the screen it even looks great and if and just if you wanna use backlight its easy to light some at the Back of the screen course its not that fixin.
Worked like charm, i loved it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2318 Old 02-15-2015, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
Had for a while but dropped it down while i was waiting my omega filtters. I might Try it one more time maby some time if there comes superbly better silverscreens. Im bothered about the ghosting every silver seems to have, atleast based on samples compared to one i have.
Curved screen is pretty easy to do if you get yourself some metal/aluminiumin to make a frame and use some threaded
Rod on top and bottom attached to the screen material, just tie from the Sail holes if you have them on your screen material.
Then have some stoppers at left and right top and bottom of the frame at the screen edge level to force the threaded rod to bend backwards. Just have the frame mounted off the wall 20-30 cm with some shelf holderit so there is room for bendings.
After maskin the tie strings of the screen it even looks great and if and just if you wanna use backlight its easy to light some at the Back of the screen course its not that fixin.
Worked like charm, i loved it.
I just posted in the Screens for 3D projection thread on my testing from a few different materials. The $5 DIY screen I outline there might make an interesting test to compare to your existing silver screen material and polarization retention.

Hotspotting - that's an interesting subject in itself. How wide is your screen (left to right) and how many multiples away from the screen do you have the PJs mounted? Are the PJs mounted at the top of the screen or below the top edge of the screen? My PJs are mounted more than 2x the screen width from the screen surface.
post #2313 of 2318 Old 02-16-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
What sreens did you have? I am considering linear polarization on this one: http://screenresearch.com/website/do...eb_01_2013.pdf as it has quite small holes for audio transparency. I wanna go 4k & curved.
post #2314 of 2318 Old 02-16-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg43x View Post
What sreens did you have? I am considering linear polarization on this one: http://screenresearch.com/website/do...eb_01_2013.pdf as it has quite small holes for audio transparency. I wanna go 4k & curved.
I had Custom made. Wax canvas painted with silver paint from awater 3D
To my experience it was pretty smooth, not so much grainy as many silver materials at 2D.

I did order many samples. Dalite ect best 3d canvases and i think the polarisation retention was as **** on these samples as in my Custom screen. I gues its ok on many movies but after watching the omega filtters the 3D effect is still so much sharper than polarized, because of the noin ghosting filtering technik.allthough i miss the color accuracy of polarized.Point of my reply is i did not find a bit worth the money to spend on expensive professional screen materials because my personal opinnion is they Were not a bit better and cost a joke.

Last edited by Vaan Janne; 02-16-2015 at 11:14 AM.
post #2315 of 2318 Old 02-17-2015, 03:50 PM

Top screens like Steward 5D claim over 90% of polarization retention though. Well, and I am not sure If I can live with the color inacuracy of the Omega filters, that's why I want to go polarized.
post #2316 of 2318 Old 02-17-2015, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Top screens like Steward 5D claim over 90% of polarization retention though. Well, and I am not sure If I can live with the color inacuracy of the Omega filters, that's why I want to go polarized.
I am thinking of the same thing. I spoke to the Stewart's distributor here in Australia and he was quite knowledgable in the passive 3d setup. I am wanting to do a 2.35 screen and he basically said that I would get a much better result with a curved screen.

The only issue with 4k is you are restricted to three companies with licensing - Sony, Christie and Barco. I had a look at Barco and Christie, they really don't have anything that is really fit for home use. That leaves Sony the only option. From most tests they the Sony's Red/Blue is going to be at 90 degree with the green making it less efficient than a JVC which is of course not really a 4k. However, there are virtually no 4k content at the moment so the JVC e-shift may give you the a close result to a Lumigan upscaled 4k image at a much lower price.

At the moment, I am incline to wait until 4k is cheaper. The extra 20k on the projector is better spent on the A-lens.
post #2317 of 2318 Old 02-20-2015, 01:59 PM

Like you said, it is better to wait until there are more 4k or UHD pjs available. The few Sonys there already available are still quite pricy and have quite a disadvantage - low speed HDMI. But on the other hand they're true 4k, not only UHD. I bet for the next generation of their pjs they choose different native resolution of the panels not to interfere with the professional segment.
post #2318 of 2318 Old Today, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Measuring polarisation retention in percentage give a very poor representation of what will happen.
Screens for polarised 3D must have more than 99% polarisation retention, all these screens will fit within the last 1% but any extra decimal point will have a huge impact on screen.
In order to get a proper idea of how well it looks that value should be measured as an extinction ratio = correct polarisation / incorrect polarisation. Because that will almost be the actual amount of crosstalk you'll get (the screen is the weakest link in the chain).
Typical polarisation filters have extinction ratios above 1000:1, but screens range between 80:1 (poor screen) and 150:1 (excellent screen)

The last time I checked, Stewart provides charts on their website showing how the extinction ratio varies according to the view angle.
Edit : It seems I can't find the charts on their new website

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector