The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #2371 of 2395 Old 09-12-2015, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaan Janne View Post
yes but i can´t remember how do you split the signal or can you choose from the Lut box is it outputting left or right ?
I propably should think about those boxes too as i also don´t use the warp function of geobox501, just the demultiplexing
The Radiance Mini boxes receive the same 3D framepacked signal that's coming from the original source. In the menus of the Radiance you can then decide what you want to output - left eye only, right eye only, etc. It will take in any type of 3D signal like SBS, under\over, and also convert that to whatever format you want like 3D framepacked, left eye only, right eye only, etc. Additionally you can zoom or scale the image, apply various noise reduction methods, add sharpness filters and of course do 3D Luts. The main functions I use here are image zoom, 3D Lut and of course the left\right eye output option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2395 Old 09-13-2015, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 30
For anyone that might be interested in a pretty exclusive Infitec Dolby 3D setup; I m selling mine:

For Sale: Infitec Dolby 3D passive dual-projector setup
post #2373 of 2395 Old 09-17-2015, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanderdvd View Post
For anyone that might be interested in a pretty exclusive Infitec Dolby 3D setup; I m selling mine:

For Sale: Infitec Dolby 3D passive dual-projector setup
This looks just like the VNS Geo 501 box available from Omega Optical with their passive 3D projection system
post #2374 of 2395 Old 09-18-2015, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Hi Ted, as BlackShark mentioned it's the Stewart 5D screen that I was referencing. I did however have the Omega LCD system previously, and also have a no longer used Geobox 201. In my case the projectors I use have great lens adjustment for up\down\left\right, so I was able to stack them and get near perfect alignment and didn't need a 501 as a result.
I was wondering if you had the Omega system before, did you try calibrating the projectors with your 3D lut boxes with the Omega system in place, so as to use them as a color correction box? Do you think such a thing is possible?
post #2375 of 2395 Old 09-18-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrodarcniss View Post
I was wondering if you had the Omega system before, did you try calibrating the projectors with your 3D lut boxes with the Omega system in place, so as to use them as a color correction box? Do you think such a thing is possible?
Yes - I tried this and in my case it wasn't possible. The Omega and other color filtering solutions essentially remove various opposing light bandwidths from each color channel. When you try and calibrate each channel individually with the filters in place to something like REC.709 you can't get that color channel information back so it won't work. A good discussion on this started here: Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread.
post #2376 of 2395 Old 09-25-2015, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrogj View Post
This looks just like the VNS Geo 501 box available from Omega Optical with their passive 3D projection system
Yes, it is but you have to keep in mind that the high price is mainly because of the fact that the two Epson TW9200 projectors are INTERNALLY modified projectors with the filters BUILD-IN!!
post #2377 of 2395 Old 09-25-2015, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, it is but you have to keep in mind that the high price is mainly because of the fact that the two Epson TW9200 projectors are INTERNALLY modified projectors with the filters BUILD-IN!!
You could mount Omega filters as well inside the projectors they would just need to be cut down to the correct size.
Are you saying Infitec is dealing with Epson directly?
post #2378 of 2395 Old 10-22-2015, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
BlackShark how was that special screen material ? Much better polarisation retention than the basic daylight ?
Price was pretty big...allthough not as much as stewart 5D from finland ...woo hoo 3000 Euros just for the material for 137" diagonal 16/9 screen.

I got an offer of the MDI HGA1.9 silverscreen, much cheaper than 5D or the custom material. Not that i would not wan´t them, but at current state
i don´t have that kind of cash and quite frankly i would use some more light than my mat white screen gives. so i have been thinking some temporary
solution... to my point. MDI said they currentyly suply all IMAX screens. i was wondering do you know or have you seen the HGA in action. They claim
it to be better than stewart 5D, atleas in some ways, allthough i doubt than and i have sample from wanderer and it´s the absolute best of all silverscreen samples i have seen,
atleas in 2D,and still as good in 3D or better than others i have viewed..
post #2379 of 2395 Old 10-24-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I think this might be very interesting for people who always wanted passive 3D at home

FS: Infitec/Dolby 3D (passive 3D) kit
post #2380 of 2395 Old 10-30-2015, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
BlackShark how was that special screen material ? Much better polarisation retention than the basic daylight ?
Price was pretty big...allthough not as much as stewart 5D from finland ...woo hoo 3000 Euros just for the material for 137" diagonal 16/9 screen.

I got an offer of the MDI HGA1.9 silverscreen, much cheaper than 5D or the custom material. Not that i would not wan´t them, but at current state
i don´t have that kind of cash and quite frankly i would use some more light than my mat white screen gives. so i have been thinking some temporary
solution... to my point. MDI said they currentyly suply all IMAX screens. i was wondering do you know or have you seen the HGA in action. They claim
it to be better than stewart 5D, atleas in some ways, allthough i doubt than and i have sample from wanderer and it´s the absolute best of all silverscreen samples i have seen,
atleas in 2D,and still as good in 3D or better than others i have viewed..
If not a secret what was the price for HGA? Unfortunately my post count not enough for pm( thanks
post #2381 of 2395 Old 10-31-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag4t View Post
If not a secret what was the price for HGA? Unfortunately my post count not enough for pm( thanks
I don´t know how "secret" these offers are. So i´ll say between 1500 € - 2000€
post #2382 of 2395 Old 10-31-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I don´t know how "secret" these offers are. So i´ll say between 1500 € - 2000€
Thank you.
post #2383 of 2395 Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
The standard Xtremscreen Daylight référence 1.1 material works for passive 3D with a very clean picture, extremely very wide view angle (hotspot so tiny it's barely noticeable), and so little shimmering that I can't see it until I put my nose right up to the screen. But polarisation retention is barely acceptable.
Using my test pattern I measured visually a 30% grey crosstalk, or the equivalent of 93% polarisation retention (extinction ratio between 15:1 and 20:1).
It's a great 2D screen, it works very well for active 3D provided you use a polarised LCD projector and the projector's manufacturer's glasses (the screen maintains polarisation so you get a light boost if the projector and glasses polarisation filters match), it's usable for passive polarised 3D but for polarised 3D fans like us it's not worth the price.

The lower gain, Daylight 0.9 material has better 2D characteristics but slightly worse polarisation retention : 35% grey (didn't bother to calculate extinction ratios)

The special Daylight 1.1 for polarised 3D has a similarly clean picture but significantly better polarisation retention with less than 5% grey crosstalk on my chart, which means it's more than 99% polarisation retention and extinction ratios in the multi-hundreds (the low precision of the visual measurement makes calculating an exact value pointless). From the tiny sample I have seen, this material is so close to perfection that once I get one, I would't replace it with anything else.

The special 3D material is still not available for purchase because Xtremscreen is encountering difficulties to attach the material to a flexible rollable screen support material. (The prototype I saw was attached to a rigid support, which is such a nightmare to ship, they decided not to sell their screens that way)
Xtremscreen is trying different techniques and materials and check if the screen material resists rolling, unrolling and beind displayed over time.
I am patiently waiting for good news and am regularely keeping in touch with Xtremscreens guys.
When they finally succeed, I'll be the first to buy the material and post my final results as soon as I can.

By the way, I have just had my first light-bulb blowing up.
The noise it made surprised me with a very loud bang, as if you'd pop a party balloon.
It lasted 2500 hrs in my Epson EH-TW3500, most of the time in ECO mode. I switched it to normal brightness in it's end of life when the brightness started to drop sharply.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

Last edited by BlackShark; 11-02-2015 at 07:11 AM.
post #2384 of 2395 Old 11-02-2015, 09:49 AM

Black shark thanks for the update. Well wait the results.
I hope they get it done. I propably would also go with if i were you. My self, i don´t know
where i live next winter. if i happen to fit my huge frame into next temporary resident i would
definetly buy also that material as i love the smoothnes of omega 2D like 3D because of the 2D screen.
and it´s so shimmery on all silverscreens. Allthough 5D is really good.
post #2385 of 2395 Old 11-03-2015, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Blackshark, thanks for keeping informing us! You make us want that screen very badly as well Do you know if they make acousticaly transparent screens as well?

BTW, party baloon pop is nothing :P You should have heard a xenon bulb blow-up in an old 35mm projector - it is REALLY a BANG! There was a projectionist in an old cinema who eperienced this event and he literally **** himself and was deaf for some time
post #2386 of 2395 Old 11-09-2015, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Yes - I tried this and in my case it wasn't possible. The Omega and other color filtering solutions essentially remove various opposing light bandwidths from each color channel. When you try and calibrate each channel individually with the filters in place to something like REC.709 you can't get that color channel information back so it won't work. A good discussion on this started here: Official Lumagen RadianceMini 3D thread.
That makes sense, getting calibrated to such a spec is probably impossible and the software isn't made to comensate for such an extreme case in the first place.

I have to admit that I know very little of 3D LUTs, but I was wondering, would it be possible to use jack-bauer's dolby calibration software (found here) to create a fairly decent calibration? His software allows you to manually create 125-point LUTS for each eye by matching the colors of one projector with filter to one without filter. It seems to me that if you were to do this while using a calibrated projector as reference, you should be able to get at least a fairly decent result. What do you think?
post #2387 of 2395 Old 11-10-2015, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an Infitec passive 3D splitter (Geobox G-501 splitter) and a few Dolby 3D glasses from Infitec. I contacted Infitec but they are not allowed/willing to sell me the filters to put in front of the projector lenses. Is there another way where I can get filters?
post #2388 of 2395 Old 11-16-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrodarcniss View Post
That makes sense, getting calibrated to such a spec is probably impossible and the software isn't made to comensate for such an extreme case in the first place.

I have to admit that I know very little of 3D LUTs, but I was wondering, would it be possible to use jack-bauer's dolby calibration software (found here) to create a fairly decent calibration? His software allows you to manually create 125-point LUTS for each eye by matching the colors of one projector with filter to one without filter. It seems to me that if you were to do this while using a calibrated projector as reference, you should be able to get at least a fairly decent result. What do you think?
I think he later moved onto just using the gain controls in the projector to attempt color matching. In theory though what he proposed and was doing here is certainly possible if you are doing this entirely in PC space. His method appears to be a manual one so in theory you'd get some type of result, but I don't know of anyone who ever attempted this or reported on how well it worked.
post #2389 of 2395 Old 12-30-2015, 03:13 AM

BlackShark, could you pm me please? Unfortunately my post count still not enough for pm's.( thank you
post #2390 of 2395 Old 12-30-2015, 12:22 PM

BlackShark, can't even answer on your pm... Anyway, first of all thanks a lot for all info you share. I'm trying to go TS way, using 2 jvc x3 for stereo setup, but start from Dolby 3D. Question is, is there software under win7 that can align them? Or maybe some manual technique that I can use? Thank you
post #2391 of 2395 Old 12-30-2015, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

According to the JVC website, the X3 is equipped with lens-shift. This will allow you to line up your pictures perfectly in hardware. No keystone, no sofware necessary.
Just install your projectors as parallel as you can, and use the zoom and lens-shift feature to move the image in position.
Lining up the pictures up to about 1~2 pixels is easy, and it's enough to enjoy a 3D movie (once you put the glasses on you don't notice the misalignment much), but getting that last pixels perfect is ridiculously hard (I always have at least one pixel off in one corner.
Feel free to use the alignment chart from 2 pages ago to help you line up your projectors.
Use the overall pictue (the grid which is in both eyes) to set the rough alignment, and the white arrows (which are in opposite places in each eye) for precise alignment.

Passive 3D, forever !
My Full-HD dual-projector passive polarised 3D setup. (really out of date ! I need to update it some day...)

post #2392 of 2395 Old 12-31-2015, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
According to the JVC website, the X3 is equipped with lens-shift. This will allow you to line up your pictures perfectly in hardware. No keystone, no sofware necessary.
Just install your projectors as parallel as you can, and use the zoom and lens-shift feature to move the image in position.
Lining up the pictures up to about 1~2 pixels is easy, and it's enough to enjoy a 3D movie (once you put the glasses on you don't notice the misalignment much), but getting that last pixels perfect is ridiculously hard (I always have at least one pixel off in one corner.
Feel free to use the alignment chart from 2 pages ago to help you line up your projectors.
Use the overall pictue (the grid which is in both eyes) to set the rough alignment, and the white arrows (which are in opposite places in each eye) for precise alignment.
Thank you, i get perfect center, but on sides they way off( will try your tables, thank you and happy new year for everybody!
post #2393 of 2395 Old 12-31-2015, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, zoom is difficult to set up perfectly.
On my Epson EH-TW3500 projectors I can't get it absolutely perfect mainly because the mechanical adjustment wheels don't have a fine enough precision, especially the zoom ring.

Passive 3D, forever !

post #2394 of 2395 Old 01-03-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark View Post
Yes, zoom is difficult to set up perfectly.
On my Epson EH-TW3500 projectors I can't get it absolutely perfect mainly because the mechanical adjustment wheels don't have a fine enough precision, especially the zoom ring.
Well, finally alignment is done and now facing new problems. Since I'm using Dolby filters there is well known color difference. After trying to do some correction I found that one projector is more warm in colors and another is more cold. Beside that passive 3D that I've got with 2 jvc is absolutely stunning!
post #2395 of 2395 Old 01-31-2016, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I have an Infitec passive 3D splitter (Geobox G-501 splitter) and a few Dolby 3D glasses from Infitec. I contacted Infitec but they are not allowed/willing to sell me the filters to put in front of the projector lenses. Is there another way where I can get filters?
type Infitec 3D on amazon US and filter kits should come up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector