The Ultimate 3D projection system: A Practical Discussion Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 2269 Old 01-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Senior Member
 
HTFAN007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 284
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
rdjam - Are you going to test 3D broadcast from cable and/or satellite as well as BD playback with the 3DXL?
HTFAN007 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 2269 Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Member
 
RBTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizone View Post

Anyone know if my two Panasonic AE3000 is polarisation friendly? Can I use glasses as filters in RealD too? The real problem is needing silver screen though... Hm.

The Panasonic projectors have a non-polarized output so you can use linear polarizers or circular polarizers (best) in front of the lens. I have the AE2000 projectors which are essentially the same as the AE3000, and use circular with good results.
RBTO is offline  
post #243 of 2269 Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 AM
Member
 
RBTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx View Post

horizone & RBTO

RTBO, on a standard SLR AF circular polarizer, if i wanted the light to go through the polarizer layer first... i am assuming the threaded side would be toward the pj lense... similiar to screwing the polarizer into the camera lense?

so if i went the really cheap route using 1080p DLP projectors with non-polarized light output... i would outfit each pj exactly the same with a circular polarizer on each and the threaded side towards the pj... correct?

then again,
you also mentioned having one circular filter clockwise and the other counter clockwise... if so, then could you explain how i might do that using SLR AF circular polarizers on each PJ.

-thanx

pb_maxxx,
I've tried SLR polarizers and they aren't nearly as good as the RealD filters. Another problem is you need a CW and a CCW filter for the two projectors and all SLR filters are only one type, so a matched set would be impossible. The best option (in terms of performance and cost) that I've found is from the polarization.com site (link posted earlier) which offers a CW and CCW pair for $25. These are 4 inch plastic squares which will cover most projector lenses well. You might want to mount these and maybe sandwich them between thin glass covers, but they work fine just the way they come (they do have protective cover sheets that must be removed or they don't work at all). You do need to have the proper side facing the projector (linear polarizer side - label side on the ones I received). ReadD glasses on the other end show good extinction with these (you might need to rotate the projector filters to optimize the results). You could use filters taken from the RealD glasses, but in my case, they were too small to fit my projector output beams.
RBTO is offline  
post #244 of 2269 Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pb_maxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
RBTO;

excellent. just the info i needed.

just to clarify i am getting the matched CW & CCW circular polarizer squares and making sure the linear polarizer side is facing the PJ. (i understand a slight rotation might be needed for best results).

this will give me the benefits of a circular polarized system... ie... good extinction rate with the Real3D system.

--

are you also one of the lucky ones already with optoma 3dxl boxes....
if not, aside from the polarizers, how are you separating the left & right hdmi channels.
pb_maxxx is offline  
post #245 of 2269 Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
He said a few posts back he doesn't have the 3DXL's. Of course you can hook both projectors straight up to your htpc and use iZ3d or DDD drivers, but there is no bluray 3d player solution for this yet that I know of. It is, however, the only way to game at 1080p in 3D at more than 24 Fps. World of Warcraft should be amazing on your RBTO's system.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #246 of 2269 Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Big news - I received tonight the new firmware update for the 3DXL to enable 24p output for Bluray 3D.

Travelling right now, but will test this out before the weekend is over!

Also, have ordered samples of a variety of 3D screen materials, but in the meantime I have ordered replacement fabric for my existing BD2 frame. So hopefully next week I'll have the SI Solar 1.3 in house so that I can complete testing of the final configuration.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #247 of 2269 Old 01-28-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pb_maxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,386
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

...Of course you can hook both projectors straight up to your htpc and use iZ3d or DDD drivers, but there is no bluray 3d player solution for this yet...

well i guess it's time for me to put together an affordable HTPC then.
it's been a while since i've built one for myself, but here's what i've got so far...

Antec 2 full ATX case - $55
Azza 550watt PSU - $35
AMD Phenom II 560 - $75
ASUS MB /w USB 3.0 & SATA III - $110
4GB OCZ DDR3 1333 - $50
HDD - already have
HP combo BD + DVDRW - $85
ASUS ATI HD6850 - $195

hmmm... that's a already $605 without the software and glasses!?! maybe i should wait and just get the 3DXL boxes instead.

i was thinking ATI Radeon over Nvidia 3DVision (kit + card = $350)?

i've got a family of 8 (6 kids under 7)... and that's a lot of glasses.
pb_maxxx is offline  
post #248 of 2269 Old 01-30-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFAN007 View Post

rdjam - Are you going to test 3D broadcast from cable and/or satellite as well as BD playback with the 3DXL?

Got word from Optoma that they have tested OK for 720p and 1080p side-by-side by using the "SBS Mode" button. And DirecTV 1080i SBS is detected automatically.

Personally, I have Bluray 3D being demuxed now with two 3DXL units - one for the Left and one for the right - feeding two projectors. All working perfectly.

Also - I'm now one step closer to the ultimate 3D system now, as I loaded the new firmware update today on both 3DXLs and I'm now getting 24p OUTPUT FROM BLURAY 3D!! Yes...

Also, I have a new SI Solar 1.3 screen arriving this week, which is supposed to retain circular polarisation, plus various other screen samples to test and compare.

Once the new screen arrives, I'll finally be able to watch the first movie on this setup!

We're almost there!

EDIT - by the way, watched a lot of "How to Train Your Dragon" Bluray 3D tonight, split into two 24p streams by the 3DXL boxes - the frame interpolation in the RS40 units made the 3D output SO SMOOTH! Each eye was getting 48p projected at 96 hz. Just dying for this screen to arrive to have the first viewing.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #249 of 2269 Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
stuart628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Almost Heaven West Virginia
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Got word from Optoma that they have tested OK for 720p and 1080p side-by-side by using the "SBS Mode" button. And DirecTV 1080i SBS is detected automatically.

Personally, I have Bluray 3D being demuxed now with two 3DXL units - one for the Left and one for the right - feeding two projectors. All working perfectly.

Also - I'm now one step closer to the ultimate 3D system now, as I loaded the new firmware update today on both 3DXLs and I'm now getting 24p OUTPUT FROM BLURAY 3D!! Yes...

Also, I have a new SI Solar 1.3 screen arriving this week, which is supposed to retain circular polarisation, plus various other screen samples to test and compare.

Once the new screen arrives, I'll finally be able to watch the first movie on this setup!

We're almost there!

EDIT - by the way, watched a lot of "How to Train Your Dragon" Bluray 3D tonight, split into two 24p streams by the 3DXL boxes - the frame interpolation in the RS40 units made the 3D output SO SMOOTH! Each eye was getting 48p projected at 96 hz. Just dying for this screen to arrive to have the first viewing.


YEAH about directv...cant wait for this box to get here!
stuart628 is offline  
post #250 of 2269 Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
EUREKA!!!!

I have stumbled onto the SOLUTION for the JVC projectors giving off HORIZONTALLY polarised light!!!

If anyone read some of the testing posts I made, I found that the horizontal polarisation of the JVC units meant that standard RealD glasses would not function in an optimal manner.

You see, all circular polarisers have a layer that is actually a linear polariser built in. And, for the best extinction ratios, the linear component in the glasses must be 90 degrees offset from the linear component in the projector lenses.

In the case of our system here, RealD glasses' linear component are Horizonal, and my projectors are ALSO horizontal, meaning that to get the best extinction, I either had to hold the RealD glasses sideways, or hold the projector sideways (chuckle), neither of which was what I wanted. (RealD projectors in the theater are vertically polarised before the circular polarisation is applied).

SOoooooo - the Solution???

It turned out to be very simple, and the light bulb went off after I did some more reading about the physics of the optics involved.

You see, if you combine two quarter wave plates (the film used to make the circular filters), you can create a half wave plate, which is COMMONLY USED to change the orientation of polarisation in lasers and projectors!!

That means I can EASILY convert the HORIZONTAL polarisation of the JVC projectors into VERTICAL!!!

MAN am I happy right now!!! I will be able to use my stock of RealD glasses after all, and no custom work will be necessary.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #251 of 2269 Old 01-31-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
AND ANOTHER THING!

Being able to rotate the polarisation of the projector now means that we can ALSO use a LINEAR polarised passive system on these JVC units, not just circular.

This really changes all my considerations.

We can use a half wave filter plate like a mentioned, to change the JVC's horizontal polarisation -45 degrees for one eye, and +45 degrees for the other. It will THEN work with the STANDARD 135/45 degree linear glasses available anywhere.

SWEEEEEEET........

I will be adding linear passive back into my system options and testing that here also. Will also edit my opening posts to reflect the new info.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #252 of 2269 Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

EUREKA!!!!

I have stumbled onto the SOLUTION for the JVC projectors giving off HORIZONTALLY polarised light!!!

If anyone read some of the testing posts I made, I found that the horizontal polarisation of the JVC units meant that standard RealD glasses would not function in an optimal manner.

You see, all circular polarisers have a layer that is actually a linear polariser built in. And, for the best extinction ratios, the linear component in the glasses must be 90 degrees offset from the linear component in the projector lenses.

In the case of our system here, RealD glasses' linear component are Horizonal, and my projectors are ALSO horizontal, meaning that to get the best extinction, I either had to hold the RealD glasses sideways, or hold the projector sideways (chuckle), neither of which was what I wanted. (RealD projectors in the theater are vertically polarised before the circular polarisation is applied).

SOoooooo - the Solution???

It turned out to be very simple, and the light bulb went off after I did some more reading about the physics of the optics involved.

You see, if you combine two quarter wave plates (the film used to make the circular filters), you can create a half wave plate, which is COMMONLY USED to change the orientation of polarisation in lasers and projectors!!

That means I can EASILY convert the HORIZONTAL polarisation of the JVC projectors into VERTICAL!!!

MAN am I happy right now!!! I will be able to use my stock of RealD glasses after all, and no custom work will be necessary.

To bad I can't use this method to change the polarization of only one color.

Great job though.
vladd is offline  
post #253 of 2269 Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post

To bad I can't use this method to change the polarization of only one color.

Great job though.

Too true. Based on what I now know, I could only recommend a projector where either there is no polarisation, or it is linear polarised with all colors at the same angle.

I think most projectors should fall into that category, but testing the polarisation is a critical step.

But I am just so happy that I can do linear with these without losing much light - throws out all the estimates we all discussed at the start of the discussion about losing 50% of the light - we will end up keeping almost all of it.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #254 of 2269 Old 01-31-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yeah. Luckily (since I don't fall into either of those categories), I at least have the 8350 and it's mounted < 12ft back. So I can afford to lose some light.
vladd is offline  
post #255 of 2269 Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am sure I read somewhere about someone taking their projector apart and turning something to change the polarization. Maybe not.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #256 of 2269 Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
vladd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,469
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yeah, I'm not ready to void my warranty yet. Especially not on two projectors.
vladd is offline  
post #257 of 2269 Old 02-01-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Interesting - it appears that Infitec are making a big announcement this week about a new lense design. Don't know if that means something that will perform better with our projectors, or if it is just a commercial announcement. But it may be something to watch.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #258 of 2269 Old 02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Member
 
RBTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Idaho
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's another tidbit that might be newsworthy relative to this forum. I've been in contact with HDFury which currently sells a dongle for converting HDMI to component, and they're indicating that a HDMI 1.4 demultiplexer is in the works. They are pretty tight lipped about it right now, but are saying it will be introduced within a few weeks on their website. This might be a worthy competitor to the dual 3D-XL boxes we have to use right now. I'll post anything I see as soon as I see or get word of it. I'm hoping it's in the form of a compact dongle that can just drop in the (HDMI 1.4) line and be line powered, with two 2D HDMI outputs, but time will tell. Very interesting development, nonetheless.
RBTO is offline  
post #259 of 2269 Old 02-01-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBTO View Post

Here's another tidbit that might be newsworthy relative to this forum. I've been in contact with HDFury which currently sells a dongle for converting HDMI to component, and they're indicating that a HDMI 1.4 demultiplexer is in the works. They are pretty tight lipped about it right now, but are saying it will be introduced within a few weeks on their website. This might be a worthy competitor to the dual 3D-XL boxes we have to use right now. I'll post anything I see as soon as I see or get word of it. I'm hoping it's in the form of a compact dongle that can just drop in the (HDMI 1.4) line and be line powered, with two 2D HDMI outputs, but time will tell. Very interesting development, nonetheless.

That certainly sounds interesting - a lot will depend on whether something that small and simple sounding will be able to recognize and separate all the various 3D formats.

For Bluray 3D, the task of demuxing is dead-easy, as it truly is mutliplexed and follows a cut and dry standard - but other SBS and TAB formats are not truly multiplexed and need to be interpreted or manually directed.

But the more options the better.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #260 of 2269 Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok - I was unable to resist the temptation to put everything together before the arrival of my new 3D screen...

Completed the assembly tonight with a crude stacking methodology (ie the pjs are literally "stacked" on top of each other), and fired them at my BD II, even tho I know the BD II is not retaining proper polarisation.

The results were far more impressive than I thought! All surface structure on the screen disappeared. Ie the sparklies disappeared, and the terrible surface distortions were gone too. Very interesting.

However, because of the loss of some circular polarisation on the BD II, there was significant ghosting in some scenes.

Nevertheless, I watched A LOT of films tonight in 3D. Very nice.

I took a few shots without the RealD glasses on the camera...

And let me tell you... This setup is BRIGHT!!!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #261 of 2269 Old 02-02-2011, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
stuart628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Almost Heaven West Virginia
Posts: 598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
oh man I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stuart628 is offline  
post #262 of 2269 Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart628 View Post
oh man I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish these pictures could do the scenes justice. I picked shots where the scenes were just FILLED with depth - glass, leaves, dust, debris filling the air, and multiple planes of scenery... but of course, none of that can be seen in a 2D snap - just lots of double image.

I cannot stress enough how BRIGHT the image is - I estimate that each eye is getting three times the light that they are when I do single projector with shutter glasses, given the black frame insertion and the flashing.

Only issues remaining are (1) Screen is not circular polarisation compatible, and new screen arrives this week (2) Denon 4311CI does not seem to be giving the identical output on both it's HDMI outs, so the new HDMI splitter arrives this week also.

Once the HDMI splitter is in, I will turn on Frame interpolation so I can double the real frames and make the films much smoother - very important in 3D, IMO.

Finally - after discovering that I could get a wave retarder built-in to my projector filters and rotate the polarisation of the RS40s, I have decided to go with a linear polarised system over the circular. The linear is supposed to have better extinction ratios, which is a number one priority for me at this time.

So I've ordered a set of Advisol filters through their dealer - they are custom building them to include the wave retarders and rotating the polarisation of each projector so that they will project a standard 45/135 degree linear 3D picture that most linear glasses are built for.

The new filters should be here soon, and in the mean time I'll be playing with the circular setup, so I'll have test results for both.

Stoked!!!

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #263 of 2269 Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Member
 
zaytser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am way out of my element lol. I was curious if one could use a couple of Sim2 HT300 E Link pj's in a setup like this. I know they are only 720p but, I currently use an Optoma HD65 which works great and not really too obsessed with 1080p. If I was to go the into a new 1080p pj I would just save up for a JVC or Sony that could do everything out of the box, but I don't mind tinkering a bit and there are Sim2 pj's that are very good quality that people don't seem to want anymore. Any links or info to put me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
zaytser is offline  
post #264 of 2269 Old 02-02-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaytser View Post

I am way out of my element lol. I was curious if one could use a couple of Sim2 HT300 E Link pj's in a setup like this. I know they are only 720p but, I currently use an Optoma HD65 which works great and not really too obsessed with 1080p. If I was to go the into a new 1080p pj I would just save up for a JVC or Sony that could do everything out of the box, but I don't mind tinkering a bit and there are Sim2 pj's that are very good quality that people don't seem to want anymore. Any links or info to put me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

You would be fine doing a dual projector setup like this as long as: (1) You test the pj to see what the situation is with the light polarisation, per the first page of this thread, and (2) the projector can accept a 1080p24 signal and convert it to whatever it displays

Now, my GUESS would be that the light is "probably" unpolarised, on that DLP unit, but there is no substitute for testing yourself (and maybe posting results here for others)

However, I don't know if that unit can accept a 1080p24 signal, in looking at its specs online, there is nothing concrete. I don't know if we can tell the 3DXL to output 720p60 as a workaround, so you'd have to get more info on the pj, or test it with a Bluray at 24p.

Other 3D formats are likely to be displayed at 60p or 60i and may be less of a worry, perhaps, but testing and investigating a speficic unit to ensure input flexibility is important.

Hope this helps!

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #265 of 2269 Old 02-02-2011, 02:43 PM
Member
 
zaytser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the heads up. I need to read up more on this polarization issue as I know nothing about it. Also, you are probably correct about it not accepting 1080p @ 24 as I think just like my old optoma and being this Sim2 model has long been discontinued, it probably will only accept 1080p @ 60. I really appreciate you pointing that out for me as I would hate to buy two of these and not be able to use them for a 3D set up. I was mostly just interested in the apporx 6000 hour lamp life.
zaytser is offline  
post #266 of 2269 Old 02-03-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
dlp's do not polarize the light at all. I would look the projector up. They might have upgraded the firmware, or been one of the early 24fps supporters.
wnielsenbb is offline  
post #267 of 2269 Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

dlp's do not polarize the light at all. I would look the projector up. They might have upgraded the firmware, or been one of the early 24fps supporters.

Definitely worth him checking, yes.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rdjam is offline  
post #268 of 2269 Old 02-03-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikemav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Leesburg, VA ,USA
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnielsenbb View Post

He said a few posts back he doesn't have the 3DXL's. Of course you can hook both projectors straight up to your htpc and use iZ3d or DDD drivers, but there is no bluray 3d player solution for this yet that I know of. It is, however, the only way to game at 1080p in 3D at more than 24 Fps. World of Warcraft should be amazing on your RBTO's system.

Well, I'm sure the checkerboard output on DLP rear projection sets does have it's own problems (halving the horizontal resolution among them), but technically I can and do game at 1080p/60 in stereo 3D on my PC using Nvidia 3D Vision, their active shutter glasses, and the Mitsubishi 60" DLP TV. However, it's not the same as dual-link DVI to a 3D PC monitor, which is not halving the horizontal res (and beyond the capability of HDMI 1.4.)
mikemav is offline  
post #269 of 2269 Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mikemav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Leesburg, VA ,USA
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How will this dual passive setup work with 2d content? Is one projector simply turned off for 2d? Is everything then a little off-center?

Also, maybe this is an advantage of the Dolby method not requiring a silver screen,since in 2d those silver screens may hotspot too much? What about the filters, do they need to be moved from the lightpath every time to watch 2d?
mikemav is offline  
post #270 of 2269 Old 02-03-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wnielsenbb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 2,058
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
yes, checkerboard is not real 1080p. It is however much better than halving the horizontal resolution. That is how current passive lcd's work, and it leaves much more visual problems than checkerboard, which is a really brilliant solution to hdmi limitations and much better to look at.

Good silver screens don't hotspot. I have a Vutec Silverstar screen and hotspotting isn't a problem at all, but a shimmer on really bright scenes is. It very seldom shows up in movies, and isn't bothersome to me.

How you handle 2D is a really good question.
wnielsenbb is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off