post #271 of 562 Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBARN View Post

Fraisa:

I am having trouble deciding on a screen for the 9700UB. Because of my room setup (built in speakers), I will need an acoustically transparent screen. I am looking at a 110" Stewart Filmscreen, the rep is telling me to go with Studiotek 130 G3 1.3 gain screen. The Da-Lite rep is telling me to go with a 1.1 gain 106" screen. Neither of them liked the idea of a gray screen with a gain of less than 1.0. I like your ability to watch with lots of ambient light. I do not have a controlled lighting situation during the daytime. Would like to have reading lights on at night as well. Help! Very confused since I really like the results you have.

I myself am not a Da Lite fan what so ever..
Since you are comparing between these two companies ,
I would choose Stewart any day over da lite,

You should check out that new High Gain Stewart Screen that Bob has mentioned...
I haven't seen it yet so i cant comment on its performance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 562 Old 02-06-2011, 09:47 AM

Liked: 10
Fraisa:
should I consider going to a High Contrast Grey Screen instead of my Matte White 1.0 Screen? I have a totally light controlled room and the walls including the ceiling are all painted light absorbing Gray. The rooms is only 12x12 and right now I have a 92 inch Diagnol screen and was considering a 100 inch screen.
Thanks
post #273 of 562 Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 AM

2 issues I need help with

1. Out of the box settings. Some bright scenes especially white bleed the screen thru. Window look for lack of a better description

2. Fraisha, can u post your daytime settings and nighttime settings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
post #274 of 562 Old 02-06-2011, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigredCali View Post

2 issues I need help with

1. Out of the box settings. Some bright scenes especially white bleed the screen thru. Window look for lack of a better description

2. Fraisha, can u post your daytime settings and nighttime settings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Already done Vivid Settings last page
post #275 of 562 Old 02-06-2011, 05:31 PM

^^ thanks, any thoughts on the bleed thru? I have a dalite with 1.1 gain
post #276 of 562 Old 02-06-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Between those I would use the firehawk for your room conditions. Another to consider would be Stewart's new 5D fabric. It is a 2.0 gain screen and the extra brightness might help with ambient light.

The only problem I see with it is your speakers might be too close to the screen. The microperf screens work best when your speakers are 12 inches behind the screen. In wall speakers directly behind the screen will cause more acoustic problems.

The Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K screen material would work better for acoustics if speakers are directly behind the screen but it is a basic white screen so you won't get any gain or ambient light rejection from it.

You have to choose your tradeoffs.

Bob

Bob: thanks for the recommendation. I actually built my room with a wall that I can get behind through a hidden bookcase access. My speakers are "through" wall, but I can get to them and move them backwards or forward as needed. I have a 50" Pioneer plasma mounted flush with the wall. The screen I am looking for will be ceiling recessed, and come down in front of the plasma for what I thought would be night time projector viewing, but I am rethinking being able to watch projected content during the day, after seeing Fraisa's results with all his lights on. Still a little confused now on a 2.0 gain screen. I guess I am looking to get good contrast during viewing with ambient light now.
post #277 of 562 Old 02-06-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdarnell View Post

Fraisa:
should I consider going to a High Contrast Grey Screen instead of my Matte White 1.0 Screen? I have a totally light controlled room and the walls including the ceiling are all painted light absorbing Gray. The rooms is only 12x12 and right now I have a 92 inch Diagnol screen and was considering a 100 inch screen.
Thanks

THeory says that if you have a total light controlled room you are okay with a matte white screen...
But you have to make sure blacks are black...

you really cant go on others opinions to make your call.
you need to do your homework and work with a dealer and demo some screens in that type of room...
post #278 of 562 Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBARN View Post

Bob: thanks for the recommendation. I actually built my room with a wall that I can get behind through a hidden bookcase access. My speakers are "through" wall, but I can get to them and move them backwards or forward as needed. I have a 50" Pioneer plasma mounted flush with the wall. The screen I am looking for will be ceiling recessed, and come down in front of the plasma for what I thought would be night time projector viewing, but I am rethinking being able to watch projected content during the day, after seeing Fraisa's results with all his lights on. Still a little confused now on a 2.0 gain screen. I guess I am looking to get good contrast during viewing with ambient light now.

My Ambient light pics are with a .8 gain screen...
post #279 of 562 Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 AM

These were shot using your Vivid Sports setting... The game looked incredible, even if I do only have cable...

Thank's

Tony

Tony Gambaro
post #280 of 562 Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgambaro View Post

These were shot using your Vivid Sports setting... The game looked incredible, even if I do only have cable...

Thank's

Tony

Those are awesome,
those settings really bring out the detail...
post #281 of 562 Old 02-07-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
RLBARN,

A 2.0 gain screen is its brightness level. A reference white can be seen anywhere in the room as light is reflected in all directions equally. We refer to this as 1.0 gain and the baseline reference. A basic gray screen depending on how dark of a shade of gray would absorb some light and is considered a negative gain material and is less than 1.0, typical .5-.9 gain. A typical gray screen can also be seen anywhere in the room equally well but lowering the black levels gives us a perceived better contrast even though it lowesr white levels as well.

When we talk about a gain greater than 1.0 it will reflect more light towards the viewing area and less towards the sides and above and below. Similar to a lamp with no shade radiates light in all directions where a flashlight has a mirror to reflect more light in a given direction. So the viewing area of a gain screen is smaller. Another advantage of a gain screen is ambient light coming from outside of the viewing cone does not affect the picture quality as much as a screen which reflects light equally in all directions like the basic white or gray screen.

So a 2.0 screen is twice as bright as a 1.0 but has a smaller viewing area. The larger the gain the smaller the viewing area for the desired affect. For reference the Studiotech 130 is a 1.3 gain and is 30% brighter than a basic white screen. The Firehawk is a 1.25 gain or 25% brighter than a basic white screen. The Firehawk does have a smaller viewing area because it is built from a gray base which would be a slightly negative gain. So while it is 1.25 gain overall it is probably about a .6 gain gray screen with ~2.0 coating since it has similar viewing cone as the 5D.

With Stewart all of their front projection screen materials can be micro-perfed where the screens get tiny holes pouched in them for sound togo through. You lose about 10% of light because of the perforations. Acoustically they work best when the speakers are about a foot behind the perforated screen.

With the other screen I mentioned the Screen Excellence Enlightor 4K material the speaker can be closer to the screen. Although placing it 12 inches back can also improve sound it is not as detrimental as the Stewart screens if placed closer to the screen. The disadvantage of this screen is it has a slight negative gain of about .9 and does diffuse light in all directions which isn't as good for ambient light situations. So to get the same affect as a gain screen you'll need a brighter projector.

As I said it is about tradeoffs and which is best for your situation. There are number of online calculators for figuring foot lamberts that would reach your screen. Stewart has on on their site for their screen materials but doesn't include the new 5D screen.

hope this helps.

Bob
post #282 of 562 Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Edit....
Noticed in your shots that the epson logo next to the bulb is upside down...
That logo can be turned around.
Just push one side in and you can flip the logo......
you may have already done that...[/quote]

I had no idea I could flip that! I'm going to do that as soon as I get home from work today
post #283 of 562 Old 02-07-2011, 12:35 PM

I hosted a Super Bowl party last night to celebrate my new 9700ub (same as 8700ub) Everyone was amazed at how bright and clear the image was. The party was a totall success!
My Family room/Theater is in the middle of the house, next to the Kitchen. We had several lights on so I set the color mode to Vivid with lamp in the bright setting. Color and Brightness were excellent.
I installed the projector about a week ago, and have been enjoying it completely. Convergence is perfect and the THX setting is very very good. I am using a 120" motorized screen by Favi. It's a 1.3 gain white material. (200 bucks - Shipped - from Amazon)

I also posted this in the 8700 thread, as it seems to have more activity.

[here is another iPhone screenshot - the cell phone picture screwed with the color, but who doesnt love screenshots?]
post #284 of 562 Old 02-07-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome screen shots ,
thanks for sharing...
Got to get mine up....
Got a question sent in by pm regarding throw distance
Thought i would post this page from the owners manual discussing
Throw distance Chart...
Enjoy....

post #285 of 562 Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the best PS3 settings for use with the 9700UB?
Thanks
post #286 of 562 Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Does anyone have any experience with the best PS3 settings for use with the 9700UB?
Thanks

Would think your same ps3 settings would work from your other projector.
When i did my room i had a Sammy Plasma before,
and when i switch to the the 9700 i didn't touch anything with regards to the settings on the ps3
post #287 of 562 Old 02-07-2011, 07:02 PM

It just looks to me that the actual blacks are not very deep with Vudu and Netflix and the media bar in general. Not like watching a Blu-Ray, so Im not sure if there is something I can adjust in the PS3 settings.
post #288 of 562 Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It just looks to me that the actual blacks are not very deep with Vudu and Netflix and the media bar in general. Not like watching a Blu-Ray, so Im not sure if there is something I can adjust in the PS3 settings.

I dont use either vudu or Netflix so cant really say regarding those,
But the blacks on my menu have never been an issue..
post #289 of 562 Old 02-08-2011, 08:20 AM

Has anyone tried X.V Color setting, Not sure what it does? It seems to creat some deep blacks right out of the box when using Vudu and Netflix on the PS3.
post #290 of 562 Old 02-08-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Has anyone tried X.V Color setting, Not sure what it does? It seems to creat some deep blacks right out of the box when using Vudu and Netflix on the PS3.

i have looked at it but you cant adjust much with it alot of options are greyed out...
With my screen already being black do really need that xv color setting...
post #291 of 562 Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Fraisa:

Although I have a 9500 the similarity to the 9700. So I tried both your thx, and vivid settings on mine. I have to say Never looked better. I watched the Super Bowl on the Vivid sports setting and it was totally amazing. I used the reg vivd you suggested for American Idol and your THX for a couple of Movies. All are terrific. Thanks for your posting them.

post #292 of 562 Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Fraisa:

Although I have a 9500 the similarity to the 9700. So I tried both your thx, and vivid settings on mine. I have to say Never looked better. I watched the Super Bowl on the Vivid sports setting and it was totally amazing. I used the reg vivd you suggested for American Idol and your THX for a couple of Movies. All are terrific. Thanks for your posting them.

Glad u like them.....
I find those settings make the image so crisp in detail....
If you have an image with a shot of a woman with highlighted hair you notice all the diffirent Colors
post #293 of 562 Old 02-13-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

post #294 of 562 Old 02-13-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

How is the 9700 for gaming?

Have a Xbox 360 with kinnect, Ps3, Wii with no issues.
I use my vivid settings for gaming
post #295 of 562 Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

Have a Xbox 360 with kinnect, Ps3, Wii with no issues.
I use my vivid settings for gaming

Great. Thanks.
post #296 of 562 Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Trying to set my buddy up w/ a new PJ.
He's has a dying/dead Vidikron 60.
He is no video/audiophile.
Room is not fully light controlled.
He has a 110" Firehawk Screen(Grey). Dont know full details on it.
17ft from PJ to screen.
Center of Lens is 24" down from ceiling; Screen top is 21" down.
I want to keep the mount in the same place, so there may be some horizontal shift.
It will mostlikely stay w/ the current component wiring, unless he wants to upgrade EVERYTHING.
I'm hoping the 9700 will work for him.
And that he'll accept a black PJ in his room. I guess he could always do the 8700 if he has to have white.
post #297 of 562 Old 02-14-2011, 10:56 AM

I noticed last night on some of Fraisa's settings, there was jitter in action scenes. anybody else have that experience? do I have a setting wrong?
post #298 of 562 Old 02-16-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigredCali View Post

I noticed last night on some of Fraisa's settings, there was jitter in action scenes. anybody else have that experience? do I have a setting wrong?

No judder here ...
Please post your settings if its continuing....

post #299 of 562 Old 02-17-2011, 12:59 PM

I've enjoyed reading the input from this thread. I bought the Sony VPL-VWPRO1, but I'm recommending the Epson 9700 UB for my brother-in-law. His theater will be built in the great room portion of his basement, where as mine is more in a closed-in theater room. As far as I'm concerned, all the new projectors have great pictures. It's pretty much apples and apples to me. I do prefer Epson's longer warranty over the Sony, but bought the Sony because it was in stock at the time. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the current line of projectors, whether they be JVC, Epson, Sony, etc. The debate over which is best is really subjective anyway, but it's great to see screen shots and see and hear about the different installations. My previous InFocus In-83 had an amazing picture and to tell you the truth, once calibrated I can't really tell that much difference between it and my current projector. I love the Black Diamond screen, unfortunately, I too had to go acoustic, so compromised and went with an Elite Lunette for now. I would like to purchase an SmX Acoustic Curve someday, but for now I'm happy with what I have. Theaters are all about compromises, a small trade here for a more important return there, but I haven't personally seen any projectors/screens, etc that I don't like. If you want greater than a 100" screen and don't have a mint in the bank, you plop your money down for a 1080p projector and start juggling with screen selection.
post #300 of 562 Old 02-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

FYI
The Ceiling mount that comes with the 9700ub is not a Flush Mount
But an extended mount..
It extends 6-8 inches from the base.

that isn't the right link... the mount with a 9700 has a flat pan that screws to the unit... with a twist on bracket. hangs the projector 11 inches from the ceiling and can extend to 15 inches. Real heavy duty.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 9700ub Projector 3lcd 3 Chip Technology
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page