post #451 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim4519 View Post

Fraisa.

I have been following this thread for awhile and thank you for all your screen shots, experience, etc. I have been in the final stages of deciding in a new projector for multipurpose media room in my basement that will be used for all sorts of viewing (football, movies, etc.). I was originally going to go with the JVC RS40 with a lumagen VP for CMS, as well as an A-lense since I will be using a 2.35:1 screen.

Here is my dilemma. The 9700 looks sexy as hell and does support an A-lense natively. The RS40 is having Major lumens issues as are all the newer JVC projectors. I am slightly RBE sensitive, so unfortunately DLP is out.

Here is the question. Have you experienced the RS40 and can you compare it to a 9700? I am looking for better light output than the RS40, great clarity (as close to DLP as possible). I will be using a Stewart Firehawk G3 130" 2.35:1 screen with Microperf for AT.

Thoughts?

I have seen the JVC but dont have as much experience with it like the epson 9700.
I dont know of all the issues with the Jvc models so i really cant compare issue wise.
Will say this regarding the Epson 9700 i have had no issues with this unit and there has been no issues reported by other owners in this thread.

I have seen the 9700 with the addon lens for 2:35 in action and it was on a Stewart Firehawk and it was really impressive.
The Firehawk didn't handle reflective light scatter as good as the black diamond does and also didn't shine like the bd in ambient light.
Thats the main reasons why i went with the bd over the firehawk...

If i where you go with the epson and get the add on lens its incredible.
and much better than the cheat poor mans mode...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbar3870 View Post

Fraisa,

I too have been following this thread for some time and am close to sealing a deal for an Epson 9700 in my all purpose bonus room. Thinking of 110" screen with seating 13 ft back or so. However, there will be off-angle viewing. Thinking of Black Diamond. Would like improved G3 series but not available yet.

Can you take some side shots of that Black Knight scene that you've posted previously? That's a great shot with ambient lighting, but I'm concerned about reduced viewing angle issues associated with the Black Diamond.

Thanks,
Kbar.

The Epson 9700 paired with a SI Black Diamond is a match made in Heaven with huge benefits to the viewer....
So great that in Home Theater mag they have the 2 paired side by side in the screen it article...

The G3 series of black diamond has been shipping since Dec of 2010.
They just updated it on there website.
If you where using off angle viewing then you should go with the 1.4 gain bd.
as it has better off angle viewing vs the .8 gain

Here is a link to my Ambient light photo album on my facebook page,
I have many off angle shots here.
Let me know if you have problems with the link.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fb...04003626295737

Just a note i do sit 16ft back and my chair is located 2 feet outside of the 113 inch frame on my black diamond and i am very happy with the results...
and thats on the .8 gain...
post #453 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessfyn View Post

Thanks for all your help fraisa! I was really looking forward to getting the Epson and hear its an amazing projector for the price. But 2.35 is pretty important to me as well so I may take a slight hit in picture quality and dive in with the Panny AE4000 for its lens memory feature (and its really cheap right now). I've also heard/read about the new Epsons soon including this feature as well, and that would be amazing, but Im not sure I can wait until fall since my room should be complete around June. One thing I've learn in my years working/playing with technology - You can always "wait" for the next big thing, but at some point you just have to jump in right?

The Panny 4000 is one of the worst projectors on the market that i have seen.
Yes it has a lens memory feature but what good is that when it produces a picture that undoubtedly , unquestionably and absolutely SUCKs...

that would be a huge step in the wrong direction for you.
Your better off with a mits 6800 vs that panny unit.

My comments are a little strong because i demoed this unit this past week and i was so dissapointed in the results.
And there was a reason why it was on Clearance ...

The colors out of the box where so so so far out it was Sick.
That would be a royal pain in the u know what to calibrate....

Getting the Panny would be one of your worst electronic purchases of your life....

Its like Going with a Painted DIY Screen vs buying a Stewart Firehawk....
post #454 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Totally off Topic...
But behind the door on the Right see that netting ,
Thats my Indoor Batting Cage Room.....
post #455 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraisa View Post

The Firehawk didnt handle reflective light scatter as good as the black diamond does and also didnt shine like the bd in ambient light.
Thats the main reasons why i went with the bd over the firehawk...

If i where you go with the epson and get the add on lens its incredible.
and much better than the cheat poor mans mode...

I wish I could go with the BD1.4. The challenge I have is that they don't make an AT version of the BD yet. If they did, BD 1.4 it would be. If you have heard anything about them possibly releasing an AT version of BD screens, please do let me know!!
post #456 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swim4519 View Post

I wish I could go with the BD1.4. The challenge I have is that they don't make an AT version of the BD yet. If they did, BD 1.4 it would be. If you have heard anything about them possibly releasing an AT version of BD screens, please do let me know!!

An Electric version Pull Down of the bd 1.4 gain is coming out this summer I heard Late june mid July....

Dont know of a Speaker behind the screen placement type model though.....
post #457 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
The Panny 4000 is one of the worst projectors on the market that i have seen.
Yes it has a lens memory feature but what good is that when it produces a picture that undoubtedly , unquestionably and absolutely SUCKs...

that would be a huge step in the wrong direction for you.
Your better off with a mits 6800 vs that panny unit.

My comments are a little strong because i demoed this unit this past week and i was so dissapointed in the results.
And there was a reason why it was on Clearance ...

The colors out of the box where so so so far out it was Sick.
That would be a royal pain in the u know what to calibrate....

Getting the Panny would be one of your worst electronic purchases of your life....

Its like Going with a Painted DIY Screen vs buying a Stewart Firehawk....
Wow! you really feel strongly about that! Are you sure it was really THAT bad? Maybe you had a bad/old unit shown to you? I know it wont look quite as good as the Epson, but after researching and comparing projectors for my theater for what seems like a year (plus I work for a custom installer so I get to see many projectors in person) this is the first time I've heard such a strong/if any negative about the AE4000. I will revisit the Mitsu though. It may do the trick.
post #458 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow! you really feel strongly about that! Are you sure it was really THAT bad? Maybe you had a bad/old unit shown to you? I know it wont look quite as good as the Epson, but after researching and comparing projectors for my theater for what seems like a year (plus I work for a custom installer so I get to see many projectors in person) this is the first time I've heard such a strong/if any negative about the AE4000. I will revisit the Mitsu though. It may do the trick.
Ya Definetly is still a sour taste in the mouth since it was just last week,
and ya it didnt have alot of hrs on the bulb...

I was just use to seeing color and skin tones on my Epson that when i viewed the same material i was really really shocked out of the box.

I just find that Panny has put most of there eggs in the flat panel basket and have been reducing and pulling back in the projector world.
which they at one time really owned.
You should look at the mits for the memory option it will do you well.
There is a 6800 thread in this section you should visit it.
Thats a good unit, for what your looking for.
They also just came out with a Mits 9000 that is suppose to be amazing...

Good luck
post #459 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Ya Definetly is still a sour taste in the mouth since it was just last week,
and ya it didnt have alot of hrs on the bulb...

I was just use to seeing color and skin tones on my Epson that when i viewed the same material i was really really shocked out of the box.

I just find that Panny has put most of there eggs in the flat panel basket and have been reducing and pulling back in the projector world.
which they at one time really owned.
You should look at the mits for the memory option it will do you well.
There is a 6800 thread in this section you should visit it.
Thats a good unit, for what your looking for.
They also just came out with a Mits 9000 that is suppose to be amazing...

Good luck
Fair enough. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a Epson vs Panny thread. I'll check out that Mitsu a bit. Thanks for the link!
post #460 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Fair enough. Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a Epson vs Panny thread. I'll check out that Mitsu a bit. Thanks for the link!

All is good,
Wish you the best for your Room,
Please comment back on what you ended up with once you pull the trigger...
Thanks
post #461 of 562 Old 04-25-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Okay this past week have gone past the 1000 hrs on the bulb

At 1050 and still nice bright image,
as per brand New....

I am thinking i will hit 2500 hrs by Nov.
And if ever needed i have that Brand New Bulb that came with this 9700
on my shelf in my office....
That is a very nice thing to have is a on hand back up bulb...

You would be amazed at how many Projector Owners dont own a back up bulb..
Regardless of the Projector Model i would always buy a new extra bulb with any purchased projector...
Again with the 9700 it comes with that brand new extra bulb....
post #462 of 562 Old 04-26-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Just curious how do you guys clean the lens on your pj. Appreciaate some info.

post #463 of 562 Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
Just curious how do you guys clean the lens on your pj. Appreciaate some info.
I have a Camera Lens Cleaning Kit,
Picked up at my local camera Store.
Included a Mini Spray , Soft Cloth, Blow Gun, And mini Duster..

For dust i use the Mini Duster brush and then the Blow Gun..

Once a Month i do clean the Lens with the Soft Cloth and Mini Spray....

Works like a charm
post #464 of 562 Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have a Camera Lens Cleaning Kit,
Picked up at my local camera Store.
Included a Mini Spray , Soft Cloth, Blow Gun, And mini Duster..

For dust i use the Mini Duster brush and then the Blow Gun..

Once a Month i do clean the Lens with the Soft Cloth and Mini Spray....

Works like a charm
thanks

post #465 of 562 Old 04-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Re. post 411 on 4/22. The Disney screen shot, the uniform blue background looks clearly dimmer on the edges of the screen. Recent off angle shots, the near edge looks brighter than the far edge. Do you see much sparkling from the screen grain?

Black Diamond looks interesting, but I watch in the dark mostly, so don't care that much about watching with lights on. Does it boost perceived contrast/black levels if you're watching in the dark? The recent magazine review ended with a vague remark about underperforming standard screens in the dark. Have you done a comparison?
post #466 of 562 Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.West View Post

Re. post 411 on 4/22. The Disney screen shot, the uniform blue background looks clearly dimmer on the edges of the screen. Recent off angle shots, the near edge looks brighter than the far edge. Do you see much sparkling from the screen grain?

Black Diamond looks interesting, but I watch in the dark mostly, so don't care that much about watching with lights on. Does it boost perceived contrast/black levels if you're watching in the dark? The recent magazine review ended with a vague remark about underperforming standard screens in the dark. Have you done a comparison?

You cant judge screen dimming based on a screen shot ,
Ie the Hockey screen shot that was posted...
As for dimming your own eye has to be the judge live and in person.

As for Sparkling that is greatly reduced on the gen 3 vrs.

If you watch with lights off that is where this screen paired with the epson 9700 really shines because it rejects light scatter and if you have a room like mine it stays dark.
So it is all application driven based on the room and how you watch.

Yes with a ST 130 Stewart you will have a wider viewing cone but if you dont have a black room it also is going to light it up enough to land a plane.

So again its all application driven and the Epson 9700 will shine on both...
post #467 of 562 Old 05-02-2011, 12:24 AM

Had my 9700 THX calibrated today and was really blown away by the difference. The sharpness, the blacks the color accuracy all greatly improved. The guy who did my calibration noted a couple of things:

1. it was not entirely possible to correct the color accuracy of the reds. He said this was pretty common on midrange projectors.

2. His overall impression of the projector was that it's default THX mode was better than a lot of projectors he has calibrated. He knew the Epson line but had not yet done a 9700. He noted that most projectors lock most settings in THX mode but that the Epson did not and that was a nice touch.

3. He noted a higher gain screen would be a better match for the 9700 (I have a Da Lite Electrol Countour 110" - which is .8 gain). I'm checking to see if my dealer will make the upgrade.

I ran "The Dark Knight" armoured truck chase scene after and was giddy like a little kid. It was amazing. I could not be happier with this unit.
post #468 of 562 Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F. V2 View Post

Had my 9700 THX calibrated today and was really blown away by the difference. The sharpness, the blacks the color accuracy all greatly improved. The guy who did my calibration noted a couple of things:

1. it was not entirely possible to correct the color accuracy of the reds. He said this was pretty common on midrange projectors.

2. His overall impression of the projector was that it's default THX mode was better than a lot of projectors he has calibrated. He knew the Epson line but had not yet done a 9700. He noted that most projectors lock most settings in THX mode but that the Epson did not and that was a nice touch.

3. He noted a higher gain screen would be a better match for the 9700 (I have a Da Lite Electrol Countour 110" - which is .8 gain). I'm checking to see if my dealer will make the upgrade.

I ran "The Dark Knight" armoured truck chase scene after and was giddy like a little kid. It was amazing. I could not be happier with this unit.

Chris,

This is great to hear, particularly with regards to the THX mode out of the box. How long did you wait in terms of bulb hours to have your calibration done? Do you feel that the normal early bulb dimming has leveled off? Finally, are you happy with the brightness of the image in your room with the .8 gain screen?

I had planned for months to get the 31000, but as it has not yet materialized, I'll probably go with a 9700. I'll be using a 120" wide 51" tall 2.35:1 screen with a gain of 1.0-1.1 in my room, but my room will be a bat cave. I have a couple months before the room is complete, though.

Glad you're happy with your setup.
post #469 of 562 Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You SHould look at the bd 1.4 G3 screen from SI..
It will be alot better than the Da Lite...
post #470 of 562 Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I totally disagree with this Statement.

I have correct red color accuracy on all of my saved color modes.

My method is adjusting the the RGBCMY
in depth adjustment to the R,M...

And my skin tones have the proper Red Color Balance
you want to gauge for Not Red and Not Orange in skin tones

I have calibrated setting for Lights On and Lights Off...

post #471 of 562 Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

the screen shots above show how you can calibrate the red in on the 9700...

Also in the shot above of the TV News Guy,
you see the strips on his Suit jacket and can also make out the detail

If this was a flat panel that jacket would all be blended with no detail...

Here is an updated link to my Ambient Shot Album from facebook
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...closeTheater=1
post #472 of 562 Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:

I totally disagree with this Statement.

I have correct red color accuracy on all of my saved color modes.

My method is adjusting the the RGBCMY
in depth adjustment to the R,M...

And my skin tones have the proper Red Color Balance
you want to gauge for Not Red and Not Orange in skin tones

I have calibrated setting for Lights On and Lights Off...

fraisa:

Admittedly, I am no pro. I can only go by what I had explained to me and what I saw. The gentleman who did my calibration used a color spectrum analyzer and software. To get the proper color balance, he had to nearly max out a few of the color values under RGBCMY. The picture looks amazing and very accurate IMHO.
post #473 of 562 Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:

You SHould look at the bd 1.4 G3 screen from SI..
It will be alot better than the Da Lite...

fraisa:

Is BD making an electric screen yet? My room is such that I need a drop down (preferably motorized) screen so that I can enjoy the room both as a theater and then as a music / listening room with natural light.
post #474 of 562 Old 05-10-2011, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

fraisa:

Is BD making an electric screen yet? My room is such that I need a drop down (preferably motorized) screen so that I can enjoy the room both as a theater and then as a music / listening room with natural light.

Is to be ready to order Late June...Last date i remember..
SI also has another screen called the Lunar .85 Gain
they have it in motorized drop down
Ready Now....
I find on my 9700 the Lunar does a really good job in a Medium light setting
and has a much wider viewing angle.
Almost double a BD .8 Gain..
For me I found the Test Sample to produce a decent image at half of the normal ambient light that i normally watch.
It also wasnt as good with Light Scatter.
but it has its other strengths...
post #475 of 562 Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Here is an example below of how hard some shots are to take...

In this shot the challenge is to what do i want to do to her shirt..
Keep it pink or make it a light blue..
To keep it pink with all the light in the room
my Walls become an orange tone and you can see some of the orange on my blacks in the bottom corners...
but if i correct that than the effect on the image is a blue tone shows up changing her shirt...
Screen shots are not as easy as they look especially taking them in ambient light..
thats why few venture in doing it....

post #476 of 562 Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Test of the 9700 on 3 screen fabrics...
First main screen is Black Diamond .8 Gain...
Then Big Sample of Stewart Firehawk G3...
then Smaller sample of Black Diamond 1.4 Gain...
EnJoy...

post #477 of 562 Old 05-14-2011, 08:21 AM

The 9700 comes with a projector mount - can someone tell me if this is a flush mount or an extension mount and what the length the extension is. TIA.
post #478 of 562 Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh55 View Post
The 9700 comes with a projector mount - can someone tell me if this is a flush mount or an extension mount and what the length the extension is. TIA.
Okay,,,,
The mount can either be flush or you can use the extender Arm which is 8-13 Inches long of extension.
Is a Prem.Mount that is designed Exclusively for Epson.

In my room i use the mount Flush so i had to take out the arm.
post #479 of 562 Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fraisa those are some amazing pix you posted of your setup.
post #480 of 562 Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievoviii View Post

Fraisa that is some imagine pix you posted of your setup.

Every Time i go into my Room i think to myself ,,,
Someone Pinch me and Call Me Susan I cant believe this is Mine......
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 9700ub Projector 3lcd 3 Chip Technology
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page