Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 345 Old 10-16-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
1/22/11 Update:
It's been reported that the Peerless PRG mount will also work with the new RS series.

Also some options on the Chief to consider:
Lateral shift option (-/+ 3" shift) LSB-100
Lateral or horizontal shift (-/+ 3" shift left/right OR forward/backward) LSB-101
16" Joist Mount with adjustable mount point CMS390 (24" is the CMS391)

If your ceiling joists run perpendicular to your PJ, then the LSB-101/100 with the CMS390/391 would give you full left/right AND forward/backward adjustment.

If your ceiling joists run parallel to your PJ, then the LSB-101 and the CMS390/391 would give you the same placement flexibility as above.

Additionally, if you have the space, using a Chief adjustable mount pole would give you the last dimension that could need adjusting but the smallest pole offered is the 6"-9".

1/14/11 Update:
Currently the Chief RPA 281 is the best solution for mounting the new RS series. AVS sells them for the going rate. This includes a custom mount designed for the new RS series.

Here's a pic of the mount: mount pic
  • If you currently own an RPA, the interface you will need is the SLB281.
  • If you currently own an RPMA, the interface you will need is the SLM281.
  • If you are looking at buying a complete mount/interface kit, your choices are:

RPA281

or

RPMA281
    RPMB281
    RPMC281

The RPMs differ in the keys for the locks.

More on the SLB281 need/usage:
Custom Projector Interface Bracket for RPA, RPM and Smart-Lift Series
Compatible with the RPA, RPM and Smart-Lift projector mounts
NOTE: If you need an interface bracket for the RPMA/RPMB/RPMC projector mounts with Q-Lock Security, order the SLM

The kits come with the following bolts:
M5 screws: 12mm long + M5 flat washers but another user reported that for some application a 20mm may be needed or better.

==============
Original Post:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted to know if anyone has found a good ceiling mount for the new JVC RS series of projectors. The basic info copied from a Gary_B post in the main new JVC RS thread is included below.

From Gary's post and the pics below, the older RS 35/25/15 etc. mounts are not compatible unless they are "universal mounts" and even then there is no guarantee.

but @ a max weight tolerance of 33 lbs, well, that would be pushing it for either projector. I typically want 10 lbs or more leeway in a mounts capacity and what I would use to allow for mounting of my anamorphic lens, for instance. Something with a 50 lb capacity is likely the minimum necessary.

Obviously we all will likely have different height requirements but most if not all of the mounts have extension options. Any other finds/ideas?

Also, ideas for mounting an anamorphic lens on the same plain as the PJ would be great. Currently just considering a board that the PJ mount would mount to and then mounting the PJ and lens to that. That would obviously expand the number of mounts that one could use as long as the overall weight could be handled.

Weights:
RS40/X3 - 14.7Kg (32.41 lbs)
RS50/60/X7/X9 - 15.1Kg (33.29 lbs)
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 345 Old 10-16-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I've had great success over the years with the Chief RPM mounts. I don't think they have part numbers yet for the upcoming RS40/50/60 series, but if history is any indication then these will be available by the time the units are shipping.
post #3 of 345 Old 10-16-2010, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How about this one with 20kg/44lbs capacity:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=5466
post #4 of 345 Old 10-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I have the cheaper monoprice one now (the one rated for only 33 lbs), and I plan on trying it with the RS40 when it comes. I wouldn't swing from it, but it's a pretty sturdy unit. It's pretty conservatively rated - I think it'd hold alot more than 33 lbs as long as you could anchor it well enough and didn't need much angle on it. It's weaker more with respect to torque from an adjustment in pitch versus the actual strength of the mount in holding the load vertically. I think it's more likely it would slip a bit and lose it's pitch angle from a heavy weight, and I think that's more why it's rated as it is. I'm expecting I'll be hanging the RS40 pretty flat, so I'm really not that concerned about it.

Having said that, I also always use a "safety line" in case something does fail - just a thin piece of cable anchored on both the ceiling and the projector, so if say an earthquake struck the prairies...

If I were buying new (and I still may), I agree with the OP's idea in a larger margin of error.
post #5 of 345 Old 10-16-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Chief Universal mount - you'll never have to buy another mount again. That thing is built to hold all but the largest (i.e. $20K+ behemoth) projectors.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

post #6 of 345 Old 10-16-2010, 06:15 PM

we sell mostly chief mounts. YOu can get the one specifically made for you model, you can get the universal chief mount or if you already own a chief mount,you can get replace the piece that goes on the projector itself

Chief will have a dedicated mount for the projector as the projector ships. I dont know what relationship manufacturers and Chief have, but they always have the mount ready
post #7 of 345 Old 10-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omicronian View Post

How about this one with 20kg/44lbs capacity:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=5466

Probably won't work out of the box. Here is one comment in the reviews of this mount:

" My projector is JVC DLA-HD950-B. The projector bracket did not work out of the box: The 4 arms were too short even with extension. My contractor built longer extension. The installation was easy. Before you buy it for your projector, make sure it the arms are long enough. "
post #8 of 345 Old 10-18-2010, 11:34 AM

I agree with Fat Dave's comment on the 33lbs Monoprice mount. I'll probably end up ordering one for the RS40 as its hard to beat for the price.

Looks well made.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #9 of 345 Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 AM

I'm considering getting the Peerless PRG-UNV for my RS40.
post #10 of 345 Old 10-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post

Probably won't work out of the box. Here is one comment in the reviews of this mount:

" My projector is JVC DLA-HD950-B. The projector bracket did not work out of the box: The 4 arms were too short even with extension. My contractor built longer extension. The installation was easy. Before you buy it for your projector, make sure it the arms are long enough. "

Well this could definitely be a problem then. I'll have to go home and measure, and see if it has the span to mount on the new JVC's.

Thanks for that heads-up on that one - I wasn't even thinking the span would be insufficient.
post #11 of 345 Old 10-20-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

Well this could definitely be a problem then. I'll have to go home and measure, and see if it has the span to mount on the new JVC's.

Thanks for that heads-up on that one - I wasn't even thinking the span would be insufficient.

Keep in mind that was for the 44lbs mount. Your 33lbs should/might be good as it has a longer universal bracket. Let us know your measurement.
post #12 of 345 Old 10-20-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

As an installer I can tell you that those pivot point designs (like the one pictured above) are really bad. They don't stay in position, especially with the heavier projectors.
post #13 of 345 Old 10-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

I forgot to update this thread with my measurements on the baby Monoprice unit.

The Monoprice site says it's rated for 33 lbs, but both the box and the manual spec it as 50 lbs / 23 Kg. Not sure why the discrepancy - perhaps Monoprice is being more conservative on their website. I double-checked the unit to make sure that's the one I have, and it is - Product ID #6528. It's called the MHP-20, and it's actually labelled as a Monoprice brand. Go figure.

As for measurements, the "spider plate" arms span out to a maximum diagonal of about 13", which equates to a square of about 9" per side (and assorted rectangular configurations). I have no idea as to the mounting bolt hole locations on the new JVC's, so I can't say whether this span will work or not.

As I noted, it seems pretty sturdy, but as Jason pointed out it'll have the most problem holding an angle or an off-centre load. If the "spider plate" can be centered over the projector's centre of gravity at the angle required, I think it'll be fine. If it has a notable weight torquing it off-centre, I agree there's a possibility that moment arm could tweak the pivot point out of alignment.

Unless you set it well with a judicious amount of Loc-Tite...

Or tig the screws in place...

As for construction, the "spider plate", the ceiling mount plate, and the centre of the "u-joint" are 3/32" steel, most of the rest is 1/16". The decorative surround for the ceiling plate is plastic, as is the knob for the quick release. The rest is steel.

The allen bolts for the angle adjusters are 12-24's [edit - M5's more likely], so they're reasonably beefy. The quick release knob and the screws that hold the spider arms in place are 1/4-20's [or M6's or similar].

The spider arms are 7/8" wide channel, about 5/16" deep, also from 1/16" steel.

What else can I tell you?

ummm, flat black powder coat.... comes in a lovely box...
post #14 of 345 Old 10-26-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I have my SIM Lumis mounted on a Chief Universal mount. They work great.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #15 of 345 Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If these are like the RS1 the mounting holes are the same ones as used for the feet (which are removed for mounting). The feet pattern is 13.25 x 11.5 which unfortunately seems to big for the Monoprice mount.
post #16 of 345 Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Definitely - if the mount attaches to the location of the feet (which does seem likely considering the diagrams don't show any other mounting holes), then this Monoprice one will be too small.

Guess that gives me a good excuse to add a chief mount to my order!
post #17 of 345 Old 10-26-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

Definitely - if the mount attaches to the location of the feet (which does seem likely considering the diagrams don't show any other mounting holes), then this Monoprice one will be too small.

Guess that gives me a good excuse to add a chief mount to my order!

You won't be sorry you did.
post #18 of 345 Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 AM

Liked: 12
I have a Peerless mount that I think is maybe a bit nicer than Chief mounts, I had bought it for an Infocus SP8602 but changed my mind and ordered the RS40. The Peerless mount has a nice custom plate for the Infocus and I would like the same for the JVC, any of you had a Peerless with a custom adapter plate for any of the older JVCs? I wonder if I should keep that mount and see if a custom adapter will become available, don't like to go with the universal adapter legs as they seem flimsy compared to the plates.
post #19 of 345 Old 11-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Hello everyone. Some of you mentioned the Chief Universal mount, but there are several. It looks like the most basic one, is the RPAU. I'm not familiar with these type since my current projector is an RGB. I have ordered a JVC DLA-RS40.

My drop ceiling is 3 inches down from the joists. It looks like I need to order a mounting plate and an extension column. There is a Chief CMS-003, which is a 3" column, and a Chief CMA115, a 6x6 plate with 1.5" NPT opening.

Does that seem about right? Thanks.
post #20 of 345 Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM

post #21 of 345 Old 11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

the bek wrote

Hello everyone. Some of you mentioned the Chief Universal mount, but there are several. It looks like the most basic one, is the RPAU. I'm not familiar with these type since my current projector is an RGB. I have ordered a JVC DLA-RS40.

My drop ceiling is 3 inches down from the joists. It looks like I need to order a mounting plate and an extension column. There is a Chief CMS-003, which is a 3" column, and a Chief CMA115, a 6x6 plate with 1.5" NPT opening.

Does that seem about right? Thanks.

I also ordered an rs40 and have been speaking both to AVS Mr. Turk and Chief about mounting options.

I was told the rpa model along with cms 003 and cma 101.

I am curious as to the difference between the cma101 plate and yours cma115?

I have a drywall ceiling maybe you have a different product. I am now concerned that another dealer states to wait for the dedicated mount from chief as they are supposedly sturdier than the universal option from them.
post #22 of 345 Old 11-22-2010, 02:02 PM

Liked: 88
Author deleted question
post #23 of 345 Old 11-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

I also ordered an rs40 and have been speaking both to AVS Mr. Turk and Chief about mounting options.

I was told the rpa model along with cms 003 and cma 101.

I am curious as to the difference between the cma101 plate and yours cma115?

I have a drywall ceiling maybe you have a different product. I am now concerned that another dealer states to wait for the dedicated mount from chief as they are supposedly sturdier than the universal option from them.

Chief online support also confimed the compatibility.

I did end up with the cma101 added to my order with the projector. I think any of the plates would work in my case because they are out of site above the ceiling. With your drywall, the cma101 looks better at least to me. I also switched to the cms006, which is 6" long instead of 3", to give some more room, as it will go through a hole in the ceiling tile.

Someone who owns one would have to comment on the sturdiness.
post #24 of 345 Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 PM

Chief has the RPA which is their standard model and their is the RPM which is their more advanced model. The RPM has more movement ability. If you are going to drop the projector down, you will need a ceiling plate, square metal with one screw in each corner and the plate has a hole for the rod. YOu can buy fixed sized rods like 3 or 6 or 9 inch. Those are cheap. Or you can buy an adjustable rod that does 6-9 inches 12-18 and so on. These more money. The only other piece you may want is the lateral shift piece that allows you to laterally shift the projector 3 inches each way. Its great if you intended to put the lens dead center on screen and you missed or if the mount is off center for whatever reason and you can shift it to the proper place
post #25 of 345 Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post
Chief has the RPA which is their standard model and their is the RPM which is their more advanced model. The RPM has more movement ability. If you are going to drop the projector down, you will need a ceiling plate, square metal with one screw in each corner and the plate has a hole for the rod. YOu can buy fixed sized rods like 3 or 6 or 9 inch. Those are cheap. Or you can buy an adjustable rod that does 6-9 inches 12-18 and so on. These more money. The only other piece you may want is the lateral shift piece that allows you to laterally shift the projector 3 inches each way. Its great if you intended to put the lens dead center on screen and you missed or if the mount is off center for whatever reason and you can shift it to the proper place
Author deleted question
post #26 of 345 Old 11-23-2010, 10:17 PM

Andy, you can call Chief yourself and you can ask them about the different options you may need. They are very knowledgeable about their products. Google Chief MFG and ask away
post #27 of 345 Old 11-24-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post
Andy, you can call Chief yourself and you can ask them about the different options you may need. They are very knowledgeable about their products. Google Chief MFG and ask away
Author deleted comment
post #28 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
damnsam77 confirms that the RPMA-U doesn't fit.

I confirm that the RPAU doesn't fit either.

damnsam77 did a mod. Check it out on the RS40's owner's thread...

GO HABS GO!
post #29 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 AM

Hopefully Chief will get upgraded brackets soon in time for when our RS40 ships from the AVStore.

Can you guys help me on this?

I want to secure the sheetrock for where the RS40 bracket will hang. I'll be using whisper clips with two layer of 5/8 and GG for the ceiling. Is simple plywood on top of the sheetrock should be good for the 32lbs projector? I don't want to screw the projector bracket in the joist to keep it decoupled from above. (Don't want it to shake if people walk on the first floor.)

Is this how you guys mount it?
post #30 of 345 Old 12-09-2010, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post
Hopefully Chief will get upgraded brackets soon in time for when our RS40 ships from the AVStore.

Can you guys help me on this?

I want to secure the sheetrock for where the RS40 bracket will hang. I'll be using whisper clips with two layer of 5/8 and GG for the ceiling. Is simple plywood on top of the sheetrock should be good for the 32lbs projector? I don't want to screw the projector bracket in the joist to keep it decoupled from above. (Don't want it to shake if people walk on the first floor.)

Is this how you guys mount it?
Personally I don't like screws in plywood - I'd suggest something like a 2x10 and make sure screws aren't near the edges (which can split the wood). The 2x10 is double the thickness of 3/4" ply and it will hold screws/lag bolts better. One word of caution is do not overtighten - that will reduce it's holding strength considerably.

Geof
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs40u , Jvc Rs50u , Peerless Prg Mount , Chief Speed Connect Rpmau Projector Ceiling Mount With Keyed Locking Rpmau

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page