Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #451 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Yeah, I have used it for that. Good point. It will come down at least once more since I am finally looking to paint my walls and ceiling. Wife won't let me go too dark but I am tired of beige.

XBox: King Nuthin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My theater is a deep burgundy (actually the wife's choice) but still has the white ceiling. She was happy that she could pick an 'intense' color. I am thinking about putting up some thin black cloth in the area of the screen. The room is basically two bays with a beam down the center. I have taken down all the lighting in the screen side bay. I could staple some thin black cloth to the ceiling. Don't know how much this would affect the picture though.
post #453 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The cap is easy to miss. We expect it to be black. It is clear and rather flimsy. Stronger than dust though. Smile.

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP
post #454 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 12:36 PM

Went and looked in the parts box and the box it came in. No Cap.

Kevin
post #455 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Kevin-
Deep burgundy actually sounds like a good color for a theater to me. I find "bat cave" home theaters more than a little depressing. I started with a very very dark chocolate, flat color and it was too depressing. That's how we ended up with the green walls we now have. Using black cloth might be OK if all you ever do in the room is watch movies, but I'd suggest staying away from it if you read, watch sports, or otherwise spend time in the room with some ambient light. Just my opinion.

One of the nice things about not being absolutely addicted to the lowest possible black levels is that you don't mind owning a DLP projector ... and you don't need to paint walls, ceilings, and furniture flat black while wearing flat black clothes and face makeup.
post #456 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 01:21 PM

If I do it, I was going to do the "bay" on the screen side. We sit under the other bay (just in front of the projector) and that bay would remain white. Not sure if I will even try it because the projector looks great. My room is dedicated to audio/video and a spare bed (on a futon) when the rest are full.

Also, we have Navy black out shades on the two window that control almost all the light even on a sunny day.

Kevin
post #457 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

My wife wants me to go with blues. I'm pretty open to anything though I do have all my movies in a red bookshelf on the other side of the room (I'll probably only paint 3 walls and possibly the ceiling). I'm not crazy addicted to blacks but I would like to change up the room and maybe get rid of some of the reflections up front. I've been watching sports with the lights on 15-20%, enough that I can see my netbook when I want to surf and watch, and I've been absolutely satisfied with the levels I get. If anything I'm most annoyed by the quality of the cable broadcasts during the long 3/4 overhead shots which certainly isn't the projector's fault.

post #458 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 01:30 PM

Last night I did find that the technical quality of production more noticeable. Where the local inject commercial just used to look bad, now look really really bad some to the point illegibility in the graphics. Even watching a show on HGTV last night, you could see the difference of the cameras on the shoot as some shots appeared softer than others.
post #459 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 03:08 PM

She who must be obeyed has deemed that our first movie will be the latest Harry Potter BluRay. It is her birthday weekend so we will go with it.
post #460 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I have yet to watch the Harry Potter movies, figure I'll buy the complete box set when they are done with the series. Still will be a few years before my boy is ready to watch though. I am going to let him watch Star Wars for his 3rd birthday in October though.

I need a good movie for tonight, tomorrow is a full day of sports.

post #461 of 858 Old 06-03-2011, 05:16 PM

Picked up several of the Harry Potter series on BR for $10 each at Sam's Club. You just never know what they are going to have though.
post #462 of 858 Old 06-04-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Kevin and Corey. Glad you are enjoying your Vangoes. I wish I new more about the plate but I suspect it will do the job no matter how you orientate it.

Kevin. Its a little early to call Tom Huffman who calibrated your unit. I suspect he forgot to put the cap on the lens when he packed up the projector after calibration. I have one for my projector and I will send it to you by US postal. Can you imagine how much UPS would charge to ship the cap?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #463 of 858 Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 AM

Mark, the mail will be fine. The same address will work but I will send you a preferred one via email if you have not already mailed it.

Kevin
post #464 of 858 Old 06-04-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Kevin. I haven't even gotten hold of Tom yet. I will mail you the one I have on Monday provided I can find it. I do have it somewhere in my HT cramned full of four projectors. Its a real bitch trying to stack for projectors but its very bright when you do so.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #465 of 858 Old 06-04-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mark can you check to see why I did not receive two additional studs/thumbscrews for the mount like Kevin did? I am sure 4 will hold up fine but I wouldn't mind the piece of mind that the full 6 would give me.

In the meantime, back to enjoying my projector. USA vs Spain, Bruins Stanley cup, Portland Timbers and UFC today. When I was using a traditional lamp I maybe would have watched the Bruins on the PJ and the rest on my LCD in the office. Wonder if I can put the 2 year old into hibernation?

post #466 of 858 Old 06-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Corey,

The best peace of mind it gave me was one now fits through the keyhole in the mount. When I was hanging it, the one in the keyhole made me think I could recover from a small slip. I did not really look at the head side of the studs but got no visible deflection when I screwed the feet in all the way. So, I think they were a very minimal head screw or maybe a welded stud.

Kevin
post #467 of 858 Old 06-04-2011, 09:22 PM

Now this is the way to watch hockey!
post #468 of 858 Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post

USA vs Spain, Bruins Stanley cup, Portland Timbers and UFC today.

Ummm... hmmm. So much for my glorious day.

Can't wait to watch the Heat play tomorrow.

post #469 of 858 Old 06-05-2011, 12:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post

Now this is the way to watch hockey!

Did you watch it with the standard calibration or in the extra white ice mode Mark was talking about?

post #470 of 858 Old 06-05-2011, 12:47 AM

Too bad about the outcome of both games. They were really good. I wound up watching with normal calibration. I tried the plus one on the contrast on my lumagen and liked the original setting better. I think my cable box feeds a little higher contrast at least compared to my Oppo BDP-83 bluray player. I am going to play with it some over the next few weeks and see if I can get it where I like it better.

As for brightness, it is much better than my Dwin. I had my lights on at my normal 30% and did not even notice they were on.

Maybe this will be a home an home series with the B's taking game 7 in Vancouver.
post #471 of 858 Old 06-05-2011, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post

Maybe this will be a home an home series with the B's taking game 7 in Vancouver.

I'd prefer they just win 4 straight. And not give up crappy breakaways 15 seconds before/into OT. As nice as it was that the Vancouver will destroy them meme hasn't held up, these have been heartbreakers.

I haven't tweaked the settings for the games either, for the most part they are very pleasing but the cable box is definitely a limiting factor. It also forces me to use component due to HDMI handshaking, though I may try again since the Denon has received a few firmware updates since October. Do you have any issues with that? The Marantz and Denon are pretty similar software wise I believe.

post #472 of 858 Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Corey. Please post a picture of what is missing. I have to deal with a shipping ladyhundreds of miles away who probably won't have a clue about a missing screw. Talking about missing, I spent about a half hour looking for my Vango lens cap, its somewhere in my HT or in a nearby room but I dunno. Tom remembered taking it off Kevin's Vango but that is about it. It is rather flimsy, being something like a big gulp drink cap and Tom may have confused it with same, throwing it out. I wonder if our maids cleaning up my home theater might have done the same thing. But I shall find something. I have my ways. Heh. Heh. But I ain't telling.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #473 of 858 Old 06-05-2011, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Kind of a noob here, but I am considering this projector. On the website, it shows a maximum vertical shift of -25%. how do i calculate if that will work for my room? (sitting inside a shadow box)
post #474 of 858 Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 AM

Corey,

I had handshaking problem through the Marantz when using the Dwin. Those seem to be gone now with only an occasional blip of the screen when the Oppo changes resolutions as it goes through startup, trailers and then the movie. I have none with the cable box.
post #475 of 858 Old 06-05-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Kevin, my HDMI handshaking issues now also appear to be gone. Adjusted a few other settings and think I am getting a much better picture now.

post #476 of 858 Old 06-07-2011, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This will be my first projector. I am considering a starter projector like the BenQ W6000 or just jumping into the deep end with the Vango.

I decided to go with a 58x137 (148" diagonal) 2.35 Carada Brilliant White.
58x103 (118" diagonal) for 1.78. The screen is already up. I will use side masking and I hope to grow into an anamporphic lenses. I have dark brown ceilings, dark blue walls and cream colored carpeting (will fix that eventually). I will have pretty good light control but was hoping for some ambient light tolerance for sporting events. The unit will get used by the kids for gaming, family movie night (DVD and BD) and directv. The light source longevity and consistency are very appealing aspects of the Vango.

My throw distance needs to be between 15 to 16 feet. It will be a ceiling mount. Given these characteristics can anyone take a guess if I will have enough brightness for this screen size and configuration?

Is anyone aware of a place to see a Vango in action in either Austin/San Antonio area or Chicago?

Thanks,
post #477 of 858 Old 06-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Looks like the Vango with a Long-throw lens might work. The manual does not give 2.35 measurements but based on your 103" (manual give 100 & 106) give minimum distance of 15.1 and 16.0 respectively. You are somewhat on the boarder of the short and long throw.

As far as lighting it up. I am not sure. I think my projector is bright. (I have a short-throw mounted 12.5 feet from a 110" diagonal 16:9. Currently, I am not using the color box but, I will be trying it this week (hopefully)

Here is the link to the pag with the manual.

http://www.entexpinc.com/truvue/truvue.htm
post #478 of 858 Old 06-08-2011, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I throw on a 119" diagonal 16:9 screen and at that size/distance you'll be fine for 16:9, not sure about anamorphic 2.35 though, I think it could leave something to be desired in the brightness department but that's your call and I don't know - I do know that many here would consider the FL I have to be unacceptable but it works for me. Depends what you may be used to already I guess as this was a step up in brightness from where I was before.

I have the short throw and am about 13 or 14 feet from the screen.

post #479 of 858 Old 06-08-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You would use the short throw lens. Throw distances are always based on the 1.78 size of the screen (here 103 inches wide). You would divide that distance into the throw distance in inches as well. A throw ratio of about 1.8. That would be fine for an anamorphic lens set up using the new prismasonic lens. Your screen sq footage area at 1.78 size would be about 41.5 sq feet and the Vango would be fine for that size. At 2.35 size, the sq footage is about 55 sq ft. At that size you would be fine for brightness with the rated screen gain of 1.4. Please give me a call and we can discuss the specifics and pricing.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #480 of 858 Old 06-10-2011, 06:07 PM

Well, I finally got the DB9 to Ethernet cables pinned and up. Played with the color box a little. Had my lights on the whole time. (either 30% or full up) noticed a color shift and higher fan noise when I went to High Brightness mode but not that much brighter.
No photos yet. I will get to those. With my lights at 30% the projector is great for TV though we still watch movies in the dark to make it more theater-like experience.

One thing I did find is that my memory somehow got set to HDMI color gamut instead of User Control. Not sure how that happened but Tom had sent me the numbers so I was able to check that everything was still as it should be. I don't think I hit the memory to change it.

Next the studying on the Lumagen so I can make setting for my old SD sources.

Then see if I can get my Monster remote to control it all. Right now I am using 7 remote controls and still don't have remote on my Zwave lighting. If that does not work then I think I will try iRule.

Kevin
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page