AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
here is the link

http://avscience.com/2010/07/enterta...-a-quick-look/

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 857 Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post

Christian,

What RGB issue?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

the issue is that the projector doesnt receive ypbpr because the black level is locked to 0 IrE... The workaround is to set the projector to rgb as well as your source/ processor and pc black levels...

Cheers,

C

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #543 of 857 Old 11-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Christian,

Thanks. More info is almost always better.

K
post #544 of 857 Old 12-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been running the Vango for just over a year. Nary a hiccup. I brushed a bit of air borne dust from the lens a couple of times. Other than that it just works. I don't miss the churning that accompanied the G90 CRT, the D-ILAs, the LCDs. I am surprised a year has passed. I have no idea how many hours are on it. I never look.

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP
post #545 of 857 Old 12-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlubbers View Post

I have been running the Vango for just over a year. Nary a hiccup. I brushed a bit of air borne dust from the lens a couple of times. Other than that it just works. I don't miss the churning that accompanied the G90 CRT, the D-ILAs, the LCDs. I am surprised a year has passed. I have no idea how many hours are on it. I never look.

Hey Vince,

Merry Christmas. Ditto with me, 16 months and counting. Do you know how to find the hours info?

John

PS. Much better December weather than last year.

Regards,
John
post #546 of 857 Old 12-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

John,

Try page 41 in manual (Projector Mode/Status/Power On Timer). I will interrogate mine when I am down there next. You have me curious.

The wettest year on record in KY. I hope it has gotten it out of its system.

Vince

post #547 of 857 Old 12-25-2011, 09:44 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

John,

Try page 41 in manual (Projector Mode/Status/Power On Timer). I will interrogate mine when I am down there next. You have me curious.

The wettest year on record in KY. I hope it has gotten it out of its system.

Vince

Ah yes....RTFM. Got it.

Regards,
John
post #548 of 857 Old 12-26-2011, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I've got 1300+ hours over the past 10 months on my Vango and I'm trying to decide if it is losing light output or not. I've seen two HDTV shows and a movie in the past week that just look too dark. I strongly suspect it is the source, but this wouldn't be a hobby if I didn't worry about something.
Has anybody measured any loss in Lumens after 1000 hours? I've seen conflicting reports.
post #549 of 857 Old 12-27-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I strongly suspect it is the source, but this wouldn't be a hobby if I didn't worry about something.

So try a movie or other source you're familiar with

Noah
post #550 of 857 Old 12-28-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:

I've got 1300+ hours over the past 10 months on my Vango and I'm trying to decide if it is losing light output or not. I've seen two HDTV shows and a movie in the past week that just look too dark. I strongly suspect it is the source, but this wouldn't be a hobby if I didn't worry about something.
Has anybody measured any loss in Lumens after 1000 hours? I've seen conflicting reports.

i just recently emailed the vango team regarding loss of overall light output(about 20%-30%) and some constant fluctuation in light output and colour when dynamic black is enabled. i got prompt responses from the vango team and my vango is on its way to the factory at their cost all the way from mumbai india. very impressed with their response.
how does one find out how many hours the vango has been used?
i have had the vango for about a year with a lot of usage. this problem has surfaced over the last 3 weeks of usage.
post #551 of 857 Old 12-28-2011, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

i just recently emailed the vango team regarding loss of overall light output(about 20%-30%) and some constant fluctuation in light output and colour when dynamic black is enabled. i got prompt responses from the vango team and my vango is on its way to the factory at their cost all the way from mumbai india. very impressed with their response.
how does one find out how many hours the vango has been used?
i have had the vango for about a year with a lot of usage. this problem has surfaced over the last 3 weeks of usage.

The counter is accessed via the menu function (Projector Mode/Status/Power On Timer).

All of my interactions with Vango, in anticipation of purchase, were stellar. Please post the rest of the story when you know it.

post #552 of 857 Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:

The counter is accessed via the menu function (Projector Mode/Status/Power On Timer).

All of my interactions with Vango, in anticipation of purchase, were stellar. Please post the rest of the story when you know it.

thank you for the info.

will keep you posted
post #553 of 857 Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 AM

Hey, I just got the Vango back and finished setting it up and I'm really happy to see it in all its glory!!!
I'm very impressed with the after-sales service of the Vango team which actually sent me a replacement projecter because there was a delay in the repairs to my unit due to the unavailablity of repair staff. The after- sales service of the Vango team is definitely very commendable.
I had emailed them to enquire about the reason behind the overall 20-30% loss in the light out-put, coupled with the fact that when Dynamic Black was enabled, there would be constant occurence of colour shifts and inconsistency in the image. to this they responded that they will update me as soon as their repair staff is available and they figure out the reason for the problem.
post #554 of 857 Old 01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

manoharshetty9,

I think you are saying that they elected to replace your projector as a convenience to you? If so, I am impressed. Reassuring, although I have not had a hiccup. Thanks for the feedback.

Ciao

post #555 of 857 Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:

manoharshetty9,

I think you are saying that they elected to replace your projector as a convenience to you? If so, I am impressed. Reassuring, although I have not had a hiccup. Thanks for the feedback.

Ciao

that is exactly what happened. to avoid any unnecessary delay and therefore any inconvenience to me they replaced the projector. extremely commendable.
post #556 of 857 Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

So try a movie or other source you're familiar with

OK, I re-watched some Blu-Rays and as far as I can tell, my projector is as bright as ever. I suppose that means I could have lost a bit of light output, but I honestly cannot tell.

Almost one year after purchasing the Vango, I'm still thrilled with its picture quality.
post #557 of 857 Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

nothing to maintain.

You may want to clean the fan every now and then but the LEDs do not need anything.

how does one go about cleaning the fan and vents effectively cause i see a lot of dust collecting in the intake vent over a period of time
post #558 of 857 Old 01-22-2012, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Page 44 of the user manual merely prescribes vacuuming the two air flow ports. No mention of a filter or anything internal. I wonder if this is typical on liquid cooled systems.

post #559 of 857 Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I believe the light path is sealed on this machine so you would not have to worry about through dust into the mix. Yes the only thing I saw in the manual is to vacuum it out.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #560 of 857 Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

BTW there is a pixel by pixel mode on the Vango.

how does one access this pixel by pixel mode?
post #561 of 857 Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think there is one.
post #562 of 857 Old 02-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

If there were projector-based patterns I would be interested. I have not been able to locate anything. On the other hand, mine never seems to need adjustment.

post #563 of 857 Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:

finally got an update on what was wrong with the projector. Tom Bond emailed me the following

"Hi Manohar, Here is the current update. The projector had a large amount of sand and soil inside the unit. The factory believes this caused the failure. I would make sure you add some type of filtering of the air wherever you have the projector located and keep the projector away from any open windows. Tom."

previous to the Vango i had been using an NEC HT 1100 projector, which i bought in 2003, untill 2010. 7 years. there could have been some amount of dust but sand and soil? in the same room along with the Vango(bought in Dec 2010) i also have a Nad T763(2003), Oppo BDP 83(2009), Parasound halo P7 multichannel analogue Pre-amp(2009), Parasound Halo A51 Five channel Power Amplifier(2009), 5.1 Dynaudio Audience Speaker system with front left and right being the Audience 72(2003) and Stewart Studiotek 130 G3 102" Diagonal 16:9 Aspect Ratio Retractable Electriscreen with Horizontal Electric Masking(2009). All of this hooked up to an online ups power stabilizer/supplier.

none of the above have been affected by the environment in my theatre room, aside from the regular dust that accumulates over a period of time, which also happens to be my bedroom where i sleep. my apartment is on the 19th floor of a high rise building in Bombay city, nowhere close to a desert.

Sand and soil? OK.
post #564 of 857 Old 02-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Usually when I think of airborne dust, I think of dust blobs or temperature thresholds.

Despite the fog of sand and soil, their customer service remains 'unsoiled.'

Best of luck going forward.

post #565 of 857 Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Usually when I think of airborne dust, I think of dust blobs or temperature thresholds.

Despite the fog of sand and soil, their customer service remains 'unsoiled.'

Best of luck going forward.

i agree with you just like i did earlier that their customer service is top notch and that they will, and should, stand by their comittment of the Vango's long term performance.

but by fog of sand and soil do you mean lack of clarity like a smoke screen or diversion from the long term performance(50,000 hours) issue of the LED lights?

Also what is the relevance of temperature thresholds with airborne dust.

Sorry for my ignorance, just trying to understand.
post #566 of 857 Old 02-16-2012, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

manoharshetty9,

I used fog to describe the uncertainty. Facts are scarce and apparently insufficient to determine exactly what happened. Rather like the 'fog of war.'

Dust affects temperature by gradually clogging filters on a lamp-driven machine. That reduces air flow. It is possible that dust could insulate the radiator on a water cooled system. Will it? I don't have data.

I lived many years outside the US in different cultures. Your ability to grasp nuances and communicate seems superb. I was always quite pedestrian.

There are electrostatic foams. Dark gray, maybe 5-6 mm thick that could guard the air inlets on your projector and hardly be noticeable. The moving air creates the charge. They did not seem to impede air flow much if at all when I used them on a hush box. By chance, is you machine upright on its feet? Or upside down? I suspect the former.

post #567 of 857 Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:

manoharshetty9,

I used fog to describe the uncertainty. Facts are scarce and apparently insufficient to determine exactly what happened. Rather like the 'fog of war.'

Dust affects temperature by gradually clogging filters on a lamp-driven machine. That reduces air flow. It is possible that dust could insulate the radiator on a water cooled system. Will it? I don't have data.

I lived many years outside the US in different cultures. Your ability to grasp nuances and communicate seems superb. I was always quite pedestrian.

There are electrostatic foams. Dark gray, maybe 5-6 mm thick that could guard the air inlets on your projector and hardly be noticeable. The moving air creates the charge. They did not seem to impede air flow much if at all when I used them on a hush box. By chance, is you machine upright on its feet? Or upside down? I suspect the former.

quite poetic for a pedestrian i must say. most wars that have gone on for too long have been due to lack of clarity. Weapons of mass destruction strike a chord?

my machine is upright. you guessed right. may i know how you knew that?

these electrostatic foams that you talked about, are you suggesting that i use them on the Vango air inlet? why electrostatic? i wonder if that might restrict air flow leading to inadequate ventilation, causing overheating. if it does'nt i would gladly use it. besides the vacuum does'nt really reach the radiator of the cooling system through the grill.
post #568 of 857 Old 02-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

quite poetic for a pedestrian i must say. most wars that have gone on for too long have been due to lack of clarity. Weapons of mass destruction strike a chord?

my machine is upright. you guessed right. may i know how you knew that?

these electrostatic foams that you talked about, are you suggesting that i use them on the Vango air inlet? why electrostatic? i wonder if that might restrict air flow leading to inadequate ventilation, causing overheating. if it does'nt i would gladly use it. besides the vacuum does'nt really reach the radiator of the cooling system through the grill.

manoharshetty9,

Here is a generic link to a filter material.

http://www.airclean.com/products/ele...t-air-filters/

It appears similar to what I used. Here is my thinking. Filters work by either trapping particles or attracting them. Paper filters, pleated too, reduce the size of the holes and trap dust. This also makes them restrictive. Then you have fibrous filters that use something sticky like an oil. Here the particles must actually touch the oil to be stuck. And oil sounds like a bad idea. The electrostatics use a static charge to attract the particles. So they can be less restrictive without oil. Plus they are inexpensive and could simply be lightly fastened in front of the inlets on the outside. I think you will find they are not at all restrictive but you might ask Vango. Usually humidity is the enemy of a static charge. Does Mumbai have humidity he asked somewhat facetiously.

On the orientation, I assumed the circuit boards were on the bottom. If it was upside down the 'sand and soil' would have fallen away from the components and it might never have caused an issue. Its existence is still puzzling. Vacuuming through the grills is a joke IMHO.

post #569 of 857 Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:

manoharshetty9,

On the orientation, I assumed the circuit boards were on the bottom. If it was upside down the 'sand and soil' would have fallen away from the components and it might never have caused an issue. Its existence is still puzzling. Vacuuming through the grills is a joke IMHO.

recieved this mail from the Vango team:-

"Hi Manohar,

The final report is the sand caused the unit to fail and was the cause for the dim light output. I would definitely look into a way to filter the air.

I'll ask the factory about the foam. I saw the pictures of the contaminated parts and will send them to you shortly. After the parts were cleaned the lumens output was within specs.

Tom"

i guess that means the projector needs regular cleaning to keep lumens within specs depending on the inflow of "Sand And Soil" = "Weapons Of Mass Destruction" now that we have photographs.

awaiting feedback on the Foam/Filter recomendations.
post #570 of 857 Old 02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

manoharshetty9

I suspect the electrostatic filters are biased, in efficacy, toward airborne particles that can carry a charge. My uninformed guess is that 'sand' is not something they are good at. I am more than curious to see the images.

Vince

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page