Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

Old 12-03-2010, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My unit just shipped from AVS! Got the color box as well. I'm going back to DLP after 3 years with LCoS (currently running Alan G's old JVC RS-20) - pretty exciting considering one of my favorite projectors was the Samsung H710AE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness View Post

My unit just shipped from AVS! Got the color box as well. I'm going back to DLP after 3 years with LCoS (currently running Alan G's old JVC RS-20) - pretty exciting considering one of my favorite projectors was the Samsung H710AE.

Let me know how the color box goes as I am thinking of getting it too.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Sometime in December I will be doing an AVS meet in my house in Brookeville, MD to demonstrate the Vango, the EE color box, and the Darby processor. The Darby processor will be included in the EE color box but at this time only as a demonstration product.
Mark,

I don't think I am familiar with a Darby processor. What is that? And is this a software capability that can be retrofitted to the existing color boxes?

Vince

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP
Old 12-06-2010, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi Vince,

Mark talked about it in a thread over in Video Processors.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19251102

Reference your email, I'll get back to you. Hope FedEx finds your house tomorrow.

John

Regards,
John
Old 12-06-2010, 08:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 589
The Darby process takes mucho processing power. No way does the present EE box have the numbers crunching ability to do it. Future boxes might but I have no definite time table and it could be a over a year off. Darby will have some boxes for demoing the process and I will sooner or later be getting one. Only recently has the chips become available to process the video stream in real time and be enclosed in a small relatively inexpensive (but not cheap)box.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post

Hi Vince,

Mark talked about it in a thread over in Video Processors.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post19251102

Reference your email, I'll get back to you. Hope FedEx finds your house tomorrow.

John

Ah, what a difference the spelling makes. A wholly different kettle of fish.

Thanks John.

The X-37B is back on the ground at Vandenberg. A game changer coming in below the radar.

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP
Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks again!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quick question for Vango owners, how does it handle ambient light? We have our projector in the living room and watch TV with a lamp (40w) in each corner 17ft from the screen. Its hardly optimal but its watchable and we aren't straining to see detail.

Do you think the Vango could handle something like that and still be watchable?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What type of screen material do you have?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post

Quick question for Vango owners, how does it handle ambient light? We have our projector in the living room and watch TV with a lamp (40w) in each corner 17ft from the screen. Its hardly optimal but its watchable and we aren't straining to see detail.

Do you think the Vango could handle something like that and still be watchable?

Hi Daniel,

I'm not one of the experts around here but the first question I would ask concerns your screen. Size, gain, aspect. Second, what's your current projector? Third, are there windows also? Fourth, the term "watchable" is kind of a personal preference thing so hard to quantify.

I would guess it would be very watchable, but can not say for sure without more info. Also, I've seen it written more than once that unless you have optimal viewing conditions, your rate of return on an expensive projector might be less than a less expensive one.

When I get home, I'll check the wattage on my sconces. With all four on I think I have what many would consider a "watchable" picture.

John

Edit: I see an "expert" has beat me to it.

Regards,
John
Old 12-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, screen standard 1.0, size 100", Aspect 16:9, currently using a Sharp Z15000. We watch TV in the 'Natural' mode (900 lumens with a new bulb according to projector reviews)

Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post
Ok, screen standard 1.0, size 100", Aspect 16:9, currently using a Sharp Z15000. We watch TV in the 'Natural' mode (900 lumens with a new bulb according to projector reviews)
I would say that it would do fine in a situation with a little amibient light, not directly hitting the screen. As someone said , "watchable" is very personal preference, but when I have 6 60w downlights at the back of my theater on, it is watchable to me.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Understand that ambient light is the enemy of front projection. You can throw 10000 lumens at it and sure, it will be easier to see, but the quality of the image won't necessarily get better.

That being said, with ballpark 700 lumens (long lasting) to work with, it will do about as good as anything else (or better) in the sub $10k range.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to demo a couple LED projectors in NY next week (Rochester is a bit far away from where we will be unfortunately) so I can get an idea but the Vango does sound promising

Old 12-09-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No worries... The closest in comparison is the Mico 50/60 from Sim2... Though even that isn't quite as bright...
Old 12-10-2010, 01:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am getting a Vango and EE color box next week for demoing to interested AVS members in the Washington DC area. It will take me a while to get it set up and to have several qualified calibrators set it up withe EE color box which enables it to reach color performance levels far above that possible with gray scale adjustments and primary adjustments with a CMS. The EE color box has a traditional CMS using the correct formulas for deriving the secondaries but that is just the starting point for working the magic that the box can do to compensate for how ones eyes react to colors under different room lighting conditions including the black pit that is my theater.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk View Post
Understand that ambient light is the enemy of front projection. You can throw 10000 lumens at it and sure, it will be easier to see, but the quality of the image won't necessarily get better.

That being said, with ballpark 700 lumens (long lasting) to work with, it will do about as good as anything else (or better) in the sub $10k range.
Yes, understood, I have been a projector owner for quite some time and when it's movie time or 'serious' viewing time, the lights go out. If it has enough lumens that we can still watch 'Bones' with a couple of lights on then it gets 'wife approved design'

I am still trying to persuade her that a 3 chip projector is actually a reasonable investment

So am I right in thinking that, if you set the Vango to maximum brightness, you also push the color gamut higher? I am betting that, whilst not accurate, that might help with ambient light. I guess I can try it out next week

Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Daniel,

I live in central NJ (~40 minutes from NYC); I have the Vango set-up in my basement theater (on a 100in diagonal firehawk g3 screen with ~11ft throw). I don't have the color box.

PM me if you are interested in stopping by.

Allen
Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

can someone please post detailed calibration settings for the vango and EE colorbox. i hace a Stewart studiotek 130 G3 102" 16:9 screen in a completely light controlled room with dark blue walls and ceiling. the projector is projecting from 12 feet with a short throw lens.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:53 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 35
I was able to work on one of these yesterday. They can have excellent color after calibration. My i1 Pro missed the mark by a wide margin. With this technology a much better spectrophotometer is required.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I am getting a Vango and EE color box next week for demoing to interested AVS members in the Washington DC area. It will take me a while to get it set up and to have several qualified calibrators set it up withe EE color box which enables it to reach color performance levels far above that possible with gray scale adjustments and primary adjustments with a CMS. The EE color box has a traditional CMS using the correct formulas for deriving the secondaries but that is just the starting point for working the magic that the box can do to compensate for how ones eyes react to colors under different room lighting conditions including the black pit that is my theater.

Mark

Keep us posted when is it possible to demo the color box in your theater. Alan told me that their are some new color algorithms for the box and that if you need them give him a ring...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

can someone please post detailed calibration settings for the vango and EE colorbox. i hace a Stewart studiotek 130 G3 102" 16:9 screen in a completely light controlled room with dark blue walls and ceiling. the projector is projecting from 12 feet with a short throw lens.

You cannot copy settings...it will not work. That being said, do you currently own the Vango and color box? If so, how long ago did you get it (reason for my asking)?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:

You cannot copy settings...it will not work. That being said, do you currently own the Vango and color box? If so, how long ago did you get it (reason for my asking)?

just ordered it and it has been shipped. I am from India. will be recieving the Vango and colorbox on the 22nd of Dec. what should i do?
Old 12-10-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Christian. Thanks. I already have the needed info being an AVS sales team member.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 PM

i live in portland area. wondering if there are any vango owners that would'nt mind a demo of the vango for a fellow avsmember ?

i have been an LCOS/DILA owner who is picky about colors (i've always used external CMS's) for past several years ...am interested in checking out the picture the vango throws. especially if you have the color box as well.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

just ordered it and it has been shipped. I am from India. will be recieving the Vango and colorbox on the 22nd of Dec. what should i do?

Ah...well you would have to hire someone to calibrate it for you...I wasn't sure who your salesperson was...
Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Ah...well you would have to hire someone to calibrate it for you...I wasn't sure who your salesperson was...

Bobbijean was my salesperson. does the EE colorbox have a manual? does the Vango have an iris and is it manually adjustable?
Old 12-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

I need your opinion. I will be moving into a new house we built in 2 weeks and am looking to purchase a front projector. My theater room will have a Vu Tech VisionX 100inch diagonal screen with 1.3 gain. The distance from the projector to the screen will be about 21 feet (no option for closer placement). This limits my projector choices significantly as I need a long-throw lens (about 3.3:1 throw distance). I very much would prefer to go with an LED DLP projector such as the Vango for all the advantages described in this thread but am concerned that the light output will not be enough. The room is not perfectly light controlled, although it has black-out shades. The ceiling is barrel-shaped and about 11.5 feet high and painted white. The walls are a beige. Considering my throw distance requirement of about 21 feet, I'm very concerned this projector will not be bright enough. Do you agree? Are any of the LED DLP with a long-throw lens option bright enough?
Old 12-15-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Any TruVue Vango owners with an EE Color Box in the Denver area willing to show off their PJ for a prospective buyer? I saw the Mico 40/50 but would really like to see what the color box has to offer.

Thanks.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Nhey,

Please read my post, which was entered the end of October. I believe all your questions will be answered. This projector is fantastic and I have been enjoying it with no issues of any kind.

Regards, Kim

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3