TruVue Vango - Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #631 of 778 Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Did I mention, I hate HDCP. Oh yeah, I hate HDCP. The handshake is my arch enemy raising its' head when I least expect it. The other night it blanked by picture while watching the extras on a BluRay. Had to cycle the power on the Vango to get it back. I really don't think that the pirates have any trouble getting around the copy protection any more than I could defeat Macrovision on a VHS with a Time Base Corrector. It is just a pain in the behind for the consumers.

and on another note, I hate HDCP.

Rant Off

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 778 Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
+100

Regards,
John
post #633 of 778 Old 01-14-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post

Did I mention, I hate HDCP. Oh yeah, I hate HDCP. The handshake is my arch enemy raising its' head when I least expect it. The other night it blanked by picture while watching the extras on a BluRay. Had to cycle the power on the Vango to get it back. I really don't think that the pirates have any trouble getting around the copy protection any more than I could defeat Macrovision on a VHS with a Time Base Corrector. It is just a pain in the behind for the consumers.

and on another note, I hate HDCP.

Rant Off

Kevin

Kevin-
I used to get that blanked screen sometimes after changing channels my Tivo - I think it was my DVDO that was getting confused by the resolution change between some stations. Anyway, I set it up so the DVDO will re-handshake when I change sources, so all I need to do is quickly change to another source and then back to whatever I was watching and my picture comes back.

And on another note, I hate HDPC. It is so infuriating that you can kind of understand why some people rip their Blu-Ray collection to eliminate it as a problem. That, however, is another real pain in the butt. As you wonder, it seems senseless that video pirates avoid these issues, and those of us who pay for the stuff also have to deal with the pain of copy protection.
post #634 of 778 Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM

I will try that if it happens again. This time it was the changing res between a movie and the extras on a BluRay.

Still love the pic the Vango throws.

and did I mention, I hate HDCP. smile.gif

Kevin
post #635 of 778 Old 04-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Could someone please tell me what the latest firmware version for this projector is and also what site to download it from?
post #636 of 778 Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I cannot answer your question with confidence. The firmware on my machine is 656.205.47. Whether that is the latest version or not I cannot say. I tried to find a source to cross check but I failed. I, too, would like to have a back-up copy of the firmware in the event of some untoward event.

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP
post #637 of 778 Old 07-12-2013, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello everyone -
My Vango has been chugging along doing a great job night after night. This evening, something kind of scared me, though. I was selecting a TV show from my Tivo's menu and thought the projector sounded funny. I rested my hand on top of the box and the picture suddenly went very (very) dim. I turned it off, reseated all the cables, and turned it back on. Still dim. I got out a flash light to check it out, and everything looked and smelled OK. I then tapped it lightly on the side, and suddenly the picture re-appeared at full brightness. We watched a TV show for an hour with no problem.

I'm glad it came back, but I'm not feeling confident the Vango is going to be OK. During my inspection, I did see a fair amount of dust on the radiator so I'm thinking that perhaps it overheated. It seems to me that it would be a good idea for me to vacuum the radiator. I could blow some air across the radiator and improve the situation slightly, but vacuuming is a much better choice. Unfortunately, I'd need to open the box to do so - has anyone done that themselves?

I'm going to try asking EE what they think I should do, but I thought I'd ask you all as well.

Tim

[[I]edit: it may not have been overheating - it has done it again on startup after it had been turned off for a couple of hours. I'm worried I'll be sending it back to get repaired[/I]]
post #638 of 778 Old 07-13-2013, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for posting this and please keep us informed. Issues with these projectors have been rare.

post #639 of 778 Old 07-14-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm thinking of using this as a dust filter for my Vango:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999234

The opening for the Vango's air intake is ~ 140x120, so the filter will cover the hole nicely. I'd describe it as a medium mesh filter with nice magnetic system for attaching. Easy to clean. Does anyone know if it would cause air flow problems when clean? My computer is watercooled and came with similar filters, but the computer has a lot more fans.
post #640 of 778 Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Not an expert --- though I did have a hush box with electrostatic filters on the intake side that were remarkably effective. Could you buy two filters such as you linked, and sandwich a piece of electrostatic furnace filter between them. You would have to determine air flow after you mock it up. Also, the case has other gaps, such as around the lens. If the filtered portal resistance increases the air will follow another course. I do understand your frustration but other than enclosing the entire projector in a clean environment I am not sure I see a solution. I suspect that is what manufacturers conclude as well. I need to inspect mine to increase my anxiety levels.

post #641 of 778 Old 07-15-2013, 10:22 AM

Hyrax,

Are you sending yours in? I had to send mine in a while back. Now as good as new. Tom was very responsive and easy to work with. I was very worried due to working with a boutique company that seems to have moved past projectors but everything was good.

Kevin
post #642 of 778 Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Kevin -
First of all, I blew the dust off the water cooler's radiator and the problem seemed to go away. There was more dust than I expected. So it may have indeed been overheating. I emailed Tom, but have not heard back yet. He could be on vacation or traveling, or he could be trying to get an answer for me. I dealt with him a year ago and was also pleasantly surprised are their support.

I may go buy a bulb for my backup projector - the last time I used the backup, it was shocking how much brighter the Vango was.
post #643 of 778 Old 07-15-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlubbers View Post

... I need to inspect mine to increase my anxiety levels.
Sorry, if I did that! I suspect most of us bought these projectors so we could basically forget worrying about the projectors and just enjoy what they do.

I dust around the projector all the time, but I never looked in the vent until this started. I'd day I'd lost about 50% air flow due to dust.

I'm going test with the filter and see if it changes the flow much.
post #644 of 778 Old 07-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Hyrax,

Does this imply you decided to open the case?

If I blew air to clean I would likely have a large shop vac nozzle on the downwind side to collect whatever the compressed air blast dislodged. But that almost necessitates opening the case.

If you had not mentioned the dust, Dormie1360 would have done it because he knows I can be obsessive and he likes to see me sweat. So I am not looking!

post #645 of 778 Old 07-15-2013, 03:32 PM

Hyrax,

Glad your Vango is working again. Of course I am now going to check mine for dust. smile.gif It was worked on about a year ago so I don't think it would be too dirty.

On another note, has anyone used iRule to automate your system with the Vango? Of course they do not list it as a compatible device. I wonder if there is some way to input the codes or does the Vango use the same codes as something else.

Kevin

On edit:

I did find a device to input IR codes but it is $75. In the grand scheme of things not so much but it looks like a one time use for me.
post #646 of 778 Old 07-15-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 144
This makes me feel comfortable about my NuVision ProVu P2 (Runco Q750i clone) not having filters. I'm wondering if the LEDs are in a sealed chamber. I know they act as the color wheel as well and I'm curious if they can be affected by dust and degrade picture quality/brightness over time? I'll have to shoot an email over to tech support to see if that's the case, probably not seeing how they're air cooled unlike the water cooled solution the Vango uses. Hmmm...
post #647 of 778 Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Sorry, if I did that! I suspect most of us bought these projectors so we could basically forget worrying about the projectors and just enjoy what they do.

I dust around the projector all the time, but I never looked in the vent until this started. I'd day I'd lost about 50% air flow due to dust.

I'm going test with the filter and see if it changes the flow much.

So when you looked at the radiator from the outside you could see that is was covered with dust? I must be in a low dust area because I'm not sure if I've ever cleaned mine......maybe once. I looked at it again tonight and it looks clean.

Regards,
John
post #648 of 778 Old 07-16-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't open the projector; I'm waiting until I've got some more spare time. I blew the dust bunnies towards the exhaust fan in the hope they would accumulate there.

Dormie - Yes, it was covered by a fair amount of dust. I've got dust filters on my heating system, and we don't get much dust during the winter ... but 5 months a year we have the windows and doors of my house wide open all day long. Dust (and pollen in the spring) does accumulate then.
post #649 of 778 Old 07-17-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:

I didn't open the projector; I'm waiting until I've got some more spare time. I blew the dust bunnies towards the exhaust fan in the hope they would accumulate there.

Dormie - Yes, it was covered by a fair amount of dust. I've got dust filters on my heating system, and we don't get much dust during the winter ... but 5 months a year we have the windows and doors of my house wide open all day long. Dust (and pollen in the spring) does accumulate then.

That's probably explains it. My projector is in an enclosed room in the basement.

Regards,
John
post #650 of 778 Old 09-21-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlubbers View Post

The firmware on my machine is 656.205.47

Mine is 659x.205.47

Do Anyone know how to enter service menu ???
post #651 of 778 Old 10-18-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:

Hello everyone -
My Vango has been chugging along doing a great job night after night. This evening, something kind of scared me, though. I was selecting a TV show from my Tivo's menu and thought the projector sounded funny. I rested my hand on top of the box and the picture suddenly went very (very) dim. I turned it off, reseated all the cables, and turned it back on. Still dim. I got out a flash light to check it out, and everything looked and smelled OK. I then tapped it lightly on the side, and suddenly the picture re-appeared at full brightness. We watched a TV show for an hour with no problem.

I'm glad it came back, but I'm not feeling confident the Vango is going to be OK. During my inspection, I did see a fair amount of dust on the radiator so I'm thinking that perhaps it overheated. It seems to me that it would be a good idea for me to vacuum the radiator. I could blow some air across the radiator and improve the situation slightly, but vacuuming is a much better choice. Unfortunately, I'd need to open the box to do so - has anyone done that themselves?

I'm going to try asking EE what they think I should do, but I thought I'd ask you all as well.

Tim

[[I]edit: it may not have been overheating - it has done it again on startup after it had been turned off for a couple of hours. I'm worried I'll be sending it back to get repaired[/I]]

I have had the Vango now since 2010. I had a problem with the Vango in 2011 December and Tom helped me out very promptly and efficiently with the issue which was a dust issue causing the Vango to go dim and also produce colours that would keep going slightly light and dark. and eventually the Vango would just go off after a while of operation.

I am having the same issue again now and have informed Tom of the same and he has advised me to give the projector to the factory for repairs. Hope I can get this repaired and dealt with soon cause when the Vango does work properly it produces a very enjoyable image. I also hope the guys out there can work on some thing that I can do at home to overcome the dust issue if indeed the dust is causing the said problem.
post #652 of 778 Old 10-19-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

I am having the same issue again now and have informed Tom of the same and he has advised me to give the projector to the factory for repairs
I've been meaning to let you all know how I'm doing with the Vango. Tom has been extremely busy on a new project, but has been most helpful trying to figure out my problem.

The problem I've got is that my projector will randomly go very dim. It usually happens infrequently - I can go months between episodes, but it can also happen several times an hour, which can be very irritating. When my projector goes dim all I need to do is rest my hand on top of the box, and the picture comes back perfectly. This is not too a big deal, but whenever anything shakes the house too much the projector needs attention.

It seems most likely that I've got a loose heat sensor and I need to get the projector to them to tighten things down.
post #653 of 778 Old 10-19-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post

I have had the Vango now since 2010. I had a problem with the Vango in 2011 December and Tom helped me out very promptly and efficiently with the issue which was a dust issue causing the Vango to go dim and also produce colours that would keep going slightly light and dark. and eventually the Vango would just go off after a while of operation.

Mano-
I wonder if a hushbox could also help you by filtering a bit of the dust your projector is collecting. I don't know if Dave Beatty is still making them, but you might try contacting him at www.whisperflow.com.
post #654 of 778 Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 AM

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue:

I'm having an issue where the vango will randomly shut off and attempt to restart.  As it attempts to restart the home screen fades in and out.  Eventually the video will come back on, but sometimes it shuts off immediately going through the cycle over and over.  If i shut off any video input the vango will come on and stay on with the blank screen.

I shut off the projector, receiver and any inputs for a few minutes and start it back up again.  That seems to solve the issue for a while.  Sometime it will immediately shut off and go through the cycle again.  Often we'll go weeks without this occurring, other times it happens a lot more frequently.  It's getting very annoying.  

I've reached out to Tom at EE and he's suggesting that I send it in to get the power supply and cables replaced. But he doesn't know for sure that the power supply is the issue.  

Anyone have any suggestions?

post #655 of 778 Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamin View Post

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue:

I'm having an issue where the vango will randomly shut off and attempt to restart. ...
I had what sounds like a similar problem a couple of years ago. There was a field upgrade kit for solving the problem, but I never really got the details of what was in the kit. The projector was still under warranty, so it was fixed with minimal fuss. I simply sent the projector to EE and they fixed it.

On a related topic, I just got my projector back from Tom a couple of weeks ago. We had determined that the problems I'd reported earlier were cause by a lose video card. The cards have been firmly reseated, locktite has been applied, and the problem has been apparently banished.
post #656 of 778 Old 11-18-2013, 12:16 PM

Thanks Hyrax,  How long did it take for them to make the repairs and send it back to you?  Also, I did touch the projector and notice not signs of over heating.  I also attempted to move it to see if anything was lose that was causing the problem.  Movement didn't seem to alter the issue any.

post #657 of 778 Old 11-18-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been unlucky. My projector has been "in the shop" twice. They had it for a little over week each time - and with shipping times I was without a projector for over two weeks each time. It might take longer if they need to get parts. Also, my problem wasn't urgent, so it took awhile before I sent it in.

The first time it was in the shop it exhibited symptoms much like you've described, except it rapidly got to the point where I never could get it to operate properly.

The second time was because of the loose video card. I suspect the card became loose ether during shipment or even possibly things didn't get tightened correctly as a result of the earlier repair. The projector looked great for two years before the video card problem appeared, so it could have been anything that caused it. As part of this service, you just might want to ask them to make sure the video card is well seated and they use something like locktite to help keep it in place.
post #658 of 778 Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 AM

Just giving everyone a quick update.  Tom as EE suggested that I send the projector to the manufacturer in Taiwan for repair.  Mainly due to his team domestically didn't have the resources available since they were working on a new project.  

I've sent the projector to the manufacturer as Tom suggested and they emailed me today stating that they'll be replacing the video board, power board and power cable.  I've asked them if they're replacing those items because they've replaced the issue or if this is just a proactive measure in hopes to fix the issue.  Awaiting a response...

post #659 of 778 Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 PM

Pamin,

Any update on your projector? I just had a problem show up tonight. (See Photo) I emailed Tom before I read this thread (have not been here for a while) How much did it cost to send the thing to Taiwan and how did you send it?

Thanks

Kevin

post #660 of 778 Old 01-13-2014, 06:53 AM

Hey Kevin,

Unfortunately, they weren't able to replicate the issue, but they suspected the source of the problem is the power board and cable. They've replaced both.  Additionally, they fixed something on the video board as well.

I'm expected to get the projector back this week.  The repair was delayed due to end of year inventory and holiday schedules.  I'll update the group once I get it back and confirm that the issue has been fixed (for now).  But my issue was intermittent so it may not present itself right away.

The total cost of the repair was $721.  Of that, $550 was shipping to Taiwan!  I preferred that Tom fix it locally when I first reached out to him, but he said he couldn't due to his team working on another project.  Hope this helps Kevin.

Good luck,

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page