post #721 of 817 Old 04-07-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I sold an LED projector to someone in China and it sat in customs for almost 6 weeks before it was finally released. It's quite strange that it sits there for so long. It was shipped via FedEx.

They probably took it apart to confirm that you were not sending a bomb. smile.gif Just kidding.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 817 Old 04-07-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What bothered me is that the status from DHL alluded to needing input from the receiver. Also, I had sent emails to my contact and have yet to receive a reply.

We shall see.

K
post #723 of 817 Old 04-07-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

They probably took it apart to confirm that you were not sending a bomb. smile.gif Just kidding.

Well then maybe they will be able to fix it when they put it back together. smile.gif
post #724 of 817 Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 PM

Good News everyone. The projector was delivered and has the correct name as the signee.

K
post #725 of 817 Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Now the big question about the race. Is it fixed?

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #726 of 817 Old 04-08-2014, 08:12 AM

Mark,

I think that when it will be fixed is the next question.

K
post #727 of 817 Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Sorry. I thought you got it back rather than it finally got to the factory.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #728 of 817 Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Sorry. I thought you got it back rather than it finally got to the factory.

No worries. I am just hopeful for a positive outcome at this point. With the misdiagnosis and all trouble with shipping, I am beyond frustration. I have been on the Dwin since mid January. Just glad I did not send it to electronic recycling last summer like I almost did. At least I have a projector to watch and we are not stuck watching a 32" LCD.

I have even started looking at new projectors just in case. The only part I am not disappointed with on my Vango is the picture. I only have about 1600 hours on it and it has been to the shop twice now. if it is dead, it was quite expensive per hour watched.

Next time, I will be going with a main-stream producer with state-side repair. Over the years championing the little guys has been a burden.

K
post #729 of 817 Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 PM

Another week goes by and no communication with the factory. DHL shows the correct name for the signature. I just sent an email asking for an update. We shall see.

The rest of you please enjoy your 1080p picture for me. I am still stuck with a Dim Lamp Dwin. I have another lamp but do not remember if it is good or I just kept it for the cage.

Kevin
post #730 of 817 Old 04-17-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Kevin-
So sorry to hear you're still without your Vango. I thought my experiences were a cautionary tale about buying non-mainstream projectors, but what you're going through is a lot worst. Hopefully, you'll get it back soon and will be happy as a clam (at least until 4K media becomes commonly available).

Tim
post #731 of 817 Old 04-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Thanks Tim,

What is beginning to worry me is that I did not even get an email when they received the projector. I asked for an update yesterday and nothing. Some of the previous emails have gone unanswered as well.

Kevin
post #732 of 817 Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 AM

Tom was finally able to get an update for me. It seems that my problem was the DMD board. Now they are saying that there is a problem with the zoom in the lens. I never noticed it before so i don't know what happened. Maybe it was not right from the get go. They said that they were trying to source a lens. This worries me as what the cost is going to be.

At least I now have verification that it was received and they are actually working on it.. Only had the DHL confirmation before this.

Thanks to Pamin, I know that I am not alone in this lack of communication from the factory.

Now we have to work out the refund for the unused boards and paying EE for those.

I have been down since Mid Jan. I hope none of you have to go through this.

Hopefully, it will come back soon.

This forum has become a place of moral as well as technical support.

The saga continues................
post #733 of 817 Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM

Well now it is May and my saga continues. I send email to the the the contact for repair at the factory and again, no response.

I ask questions, no response. I ask for time to estimated repair, no response. I ask for more detail for the part of the repair that I had no knowledge that it was needed when I shipped it, no response.

I am beginning to wonder if I will ever get my projector back or what ransom will have to be paid to do so.

I hope none of you have to go through this.

Kevin
post #734 of 817 Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

This is bad news for all of us. On top of everything else, you're missing the Stanley Cup & NBA playoffs. Stinks.

Manufacturers are generally not setup for dealing with end users, so you might have better luck working AVS or Tom Bond.

Does it seem to you that AVS (and perhaps the whole Internet market place for AV gear) changed about the time we bought our Vango's? Did Jason and Alan leave for a reason?

Myself, I'm making plans for the day I need to replace my Vango, and this time I'll buy from a local dealer.

Tim
post #735 of 817 Old 05-01-2014, 03:34 PM

I too am leaning towards a local dealer for the next purchase. The only problem for me is that the local selection is limited. I have a very few custom install places, one real dealer and Best Buy (Magnolia). The other dealer here has gone out of business but towards the end they did not have much.

Tom Bond has been helping out but, I don't want to bother him too much. If he sends an email there is a response. I just seem to be ignored. I have a contact email and a name but the only email that I got direct to me has been the one with the shipping address and DHL account number.

AVS pretty much just referred me to Tom.

It does worry me that the found a problem that I was not having when I sent it.

I do have the Dwin back up but after watching the Vango, it is difficult to go back.

Also, I waited for a new shipment through most of the Stanley Cup the year I bought it.

Kevin
post #736 of 817 Old 05-01-2014, 04:02 PM

Tim,

Pulling for the B's in the Cup. Was a fan when I was a kid and first found hockey. Plus, Chad Johnson was our goalie at UAF.

Kevin
post #737 of 817 Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Kevin-
You can get a BenQ W1070 pretty cheaply either from AVS or eBay. It will probably not much more than a bulb for your DWin, if you go used/refurbished. It most likely will be a lot brighter than your Dwin, and be 1080p. I nearly got one when as a backup when my VanGo needed to be fixed.

Bruins are losing frown.gif ... Third period, 7:51, 3-2 Canadiens: It was all Bruins to this point, but it only takes one shot to turn it around.
post #738 of 817 Old 05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 177
I honestly wouldn't even bother. The w1070 is such big step back from the raw performance of the Vango it's basically a waste of time. For around $1000 I'd pick up an Epson 8350. They have AWESOME bang for the buck value. But then again, that's only if he feels he needs an intermediary projector other than his dwin.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #739 of 817 Old 05-01-2014, 08:44 PM

We shall see how much longer this continues. If the lamp goes out on the Dwin, I think I have another. I would have to check it as I know I have one the box is beside my desk. The question is: is it good.

Summer is fast approaching and we will be more busy outside.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kevin

2OT loss. i hope that this is just a minor setback. Price was hot in net tonight.
post #740 of 817 Old 05-06-2014, 03:22 PM

Yesterday, I started to get a little angry over this. I don't know what good it serves. With the lack of communication from the factory, I wonder if this ever will be resolved. My projector has been down since late January.

Thanks all for giving me an ear. This is getting really old.

This is the last info I got (22 April) and Tom Bond had to be involved to get that response. I don't know what it means. I had no lens problem when I shipped it.

"We replace the DMD board and we found the function of Zoom got some problem and we try to check the stock of lens.
I will try to provide the repair fee ASAP."

I had no lens problem when I shipped it.

Kevin
post #741 of 817 Old 05-07-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
This is bad news for all of us. On top of everything else, you're missing the Stanley Cup & NBA playoffs. Stinks.

Manufacturers are generally not setup for dealing with end users, so you might have better luck working AVS or Tom Bond.

Does it seem to you that AVS (and perhaps the whole Internet market place for AV gear) changed about the time we bought our Vango's? Did Jason and Alan leave for a reason?

Myself, I'm making plans for the day I need to replace my Vango, and this time I'll buy from a local dealer.

Tim

Alan moved to Florida to enjoy warmer weather and play with his DCI projector. We still talk to him regularly. I assure you nothing has changed at AV Science. I was once a customer - and now I work here. Same great folks, products and service.

Quote:
I too am leaning towards a local dealer for the next purchase. The only problem for me is that the local selection is limited. I have a very few custom install places, one real dealer and Best Buy (Magnolia). The other dealer here has gone out of business but towards the end they did not have much.

Tom Bond has been helping out but, I don't want to bother him too much. If he sends an email there is a response. I just seem to be ignored. I have a contact email and a name but the only email that I got direct to me has been the one with the shipping address and DHL account number.

AVS pretty much just referred me to Tom

As a home theater / projector owner myself, I feel bad for your situation. We do what we can, but at some point it is up to the manufacturer to make things right. There is only so much any dealer can do. Heaven help us all if Sony or JVC ever go out of business. That said, I hope they get your projector fixed soon. But even JVC's, Sim2's - any projector can have problems - like a light engine going bad. If it happens several years out of warranty - there isn't anything any dealer - local or not - can do for you, other than help you get a repair estimate. .

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #742 of 817 Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM

Not really several years out of warranty. It had a two-year warranty. It will be June before the projector is 3-years-old. (went down in January)

I have been waiting on the promised (ASAP) estimate for the new found problem for a couple of weeks now. I get no additional communication without Tom being involved. Thank God for him or I would have a brick. Still might. Often when the customer, dealer and mfg rep all are asking, there is more, shall we say, motivation for the repair center to get things done. Here, as I stated before, AVS just referred me to Tom.

Maybe that is all you can do at this point.

Kevin
post #743 of 817 Old 05-13-2014, 08:41 AM

Well some good news on the repair front.

It seems that the company is in the process of moving. An understandable delay but I wish I had known. That knowledge would have helped me endure.

Also, they are taking care of whatever the lens problem was themselves. This really elevated my opinion of them by not having to get into a conversation of when, where how or who. A very nice gesture.

The message then states: "our operator will finish the repair later." I am not sure what that means but at least there is progress. I do have to give credit where it is due as the lady on the other end does much better in a second language that do I.

I don't really feel optimistic yet but at least am no longer pessimistic.

Maybe my old Dwin can hold out for the duration.

Kevin
post #744 of 817 Old 05-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Man this is brutal... Hopefully you'll have success soon! It sounds like there's some light at the end of the tunnel and it doesn't involve your pj being 6 feet under.

Joe.T
post #745 of 817 Old 05-17-2014, 05:39 PM

Not optimistic yet. Kind of neutral right now. I now do believe it will be repaired. The big question is how long will it take. I do not know what "finish the repair later" means. I know that we are operating with language limitations.

Thank you all for listening to my rant. it does make me feel some better to vent my frustrations here with folks that can understand what going without your good projector means.

We use the projector every day be it movies, recorded TV or just to decompress after a long day with Big Bang reruns. At least the Dwin is soldiering along. We watched the BR of Bull Durham last night and let's just say I miss the Vango.

If If had to replace it, I don't know where to go. If the Vango is no more, I would feel bitten by the high cost per operating hour. It would be hard to justify going to LED again when replacement lamps even every 1000 hours and the cost of my own calibration setup would be much cheaper.

i do like the sharpness of DLP and don't care if I ever have 3D. .95 chip DLPs are not in inexpensive units but would feel like I have regressed if I went with a .65. I have not gotten a price on any DPI PJs but the one I saw from another mfg (with a .95) was in the $8K range.

I am still really hoping that the Vango comes back and is my bridge to 4K.

Oh, and did I mention that you have to wire-transfer the payment? That is another $40-50 just to pay.

Kevin
post #746 of 817 Old 05-18-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
When I sent my JVC RS40 for repairs I thought shipping it to California was ridiculous. My experience sounds like peanuts compared to yours.

I don't think I'll ever purchase another projector from a manufacture that doesn't have good customer service. People don't factor that into the purchase enough. (Not pointing fingers at you.) Definitely something to think about when purchasing a projector if you plan to hold onto it long term.

Joe.T
post #747 of 817 Old 05-18-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post

If If had to replace it, I don't know where to go. If the Vango is no more, I would feel bitten by the high cost per operating hour. It would be hard to justify going to LED again when replacement lamps even every 1000 hours and the cost of my own calibration setup would be much cheaper.

i do like the sharpness of DLP and don't care if I ever have 3D. .95 chip DLPs are not in inexpensive units but would feel like I have regressed if I went with a .65. I have not gotten a price on any DPI PJs but the one I saw from another mfg (with a .95) was in the $8K range.

I would go right for the Runco LS-3 or LS-5. The lamps are practically free, brand new Osram lamps are ~ $80, can't get much cheaper. They last a good 2,000 hours and start out with several hundred more lumens than the Vango was capable of producing.

I hope it works out, keep us posted.
post #748 of 817 Old 05-18-2014, 01:26 PM

Buttabean,

The service has really been a mixed bag. Tom Bond of Entertainment Experience has been outstanding during both this and the previous (warranty) repair. The down side has been any time he or I have to deal with the "factory." They are slow as molasses in a Fairbanks winter. (or maybe even Delta Junction. Has anyone else has a Ft Greely experience?) That includes waiting on a new shipment of projectors when I originally purchased.

I realized that I was take somewhat of a chance at the outset being a "boutique" company (Note that I am a Dwin owner as well) but it was a way into, what I thought, was a low maintenance projector (LED source) at a price I was will to spend. When it is working, it does keep the gremlin of do I need to calibrate out of my head and I just enjoy what I am watching.

Zombie,

My first thought was Runco. The only fully service home theater dealer here in Anchorage sells them. (and Sony it think but that is not DLP) If this does not work out, (right now I think it will given some time) I am going down there to see what they have and what kind of pricing. Really hoping I don't have to.

Once again, thanks to all for the concern for my plight.

One note: The upside on some savings was being able to use their shipping rates vs. rack rate. Most likely more savings than the cost for the wire transfer.

Kevin
post #749 of 817 Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 PM

Now June has come and still no love.

The Dwin Soldiers on.

K
post #750 of 817 Old 06-28-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Reading Kevin's posts makes me ill.

I've dealt with the intermittent "power cycle" issue and am scared of having to send my unit in. It began a long time ago but usually happened once or twice and went away. Lately I can't get anything going.

I started testing after reading back the thread and it seems more like it could be an HDMI seating issue, and I probably did switch to cheaper cables when I first began to experience the problems. I noticed that HDMI 1 is a little "wobbly" when pulling the cable and HDMI 2 seating is firm. I plugged into HDMI 2 and had no issues then moved to 1 which works for now. I am going to have to try with some better quality cables that seat better.

Since I'm out of warranty has anyone ever opened up and tightened everything down to any results?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page