Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #751 of 778 Old 06-28-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
And that last post may have been premature.

I'm now testing with shorter, better quality HDMI cables (had to run through a pass through device) and at first glance no problems.

Maybe I'll try to watch both world cup matches on Monday downstairs and follow up with a movie for a true test.

So many reasons to think it was a power issue that if it really was a cable issue I'm baffled, but relieved for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 778 Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Glad you had a good outcome. I am using a 30 ft (I think) from Blue Jeans cable. Never had a problem even using an L shaped adapter to help eliminate cable strain. It fit tightly in the socket.

Now only if I could get my projector back. Going to send another email tomorrow.

Kevin
post #753 of 778 Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Today's findings are less encouraging. Got some experimenting to do though.

Definitely it is some kind of handshake issue causing the power cycles.

Going into the receiver menu while connected seems to have given me a stable connection. Also in the past the issue may have been resolved by input changes and other triggers to the receivers OSD.

Not sure if it may also have to do with powering on and off the receiver after the projector.

Problems started when I did some theater upgrades in my old house - one to put power above the projector mount but the other was a HDMI through Cat-5 which brought on all kinds of fun issues. I need to find the original cabling I was using but am at a bit of a loss.

Last edited by CoreyM; 06-29-2014 at 09:13 PM.
post #754 of 778 Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 AM

I have had the occasional handshake issues. Cycling the power on everything always fixed it.

Hope you find the problem.

Kevin
post #755 of 778 Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Turned on for World Cup today and no issues whatsoever (using the cheap long cable, no pass through).

I did notice my Harmony turns on the receiver first. Will probably reprogram to turn on the projector and wait 15 seconds. Projector is the one device not controlled by IR.
post #756 of 778 Old 07-01-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Fired up again for USMNT match, no problems.

Seems once I started troubleshooting as a handshake issue all the problems have leveled off. HDCP is truly the devil.
post #757 of 778 Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 AM

First let me say, I hate HDMI handshake protocols and I hate HDMI handshake protocols. I could go on.

I do have good news! I just got the info that my projector will be repaired by Friday and the bill in $855 including shipping. (and lost sleep) So around $900 including the wire transfer fee to the bank.

Still have to work out the credit for the unneeded boards that they sent via EE so I can finally pay that $500 bill.
CoreyM likes this.
post #758 of 778 Old 07-07-2014, 02:18 PM

Tom Bond is trying to help with the board return. (with maybe a restocking fee) The factory folks had said no return on them. This is after they were the ones who diagnosed the problem and said I needed these boards.

Tom is a great guy. I wish that EE had continued in the PJ business.

K

Last edited by PhotoKevin; 07-07-2014 at 02:22 PM.
post #759 of 778 Old 07-07-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
No reason for you to pay if its their fault they didn't diagnose the issue properly. Did they ever say exactly what the issue was? Sounds like a scaler/DMD controller board issue.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-07-2014 at 03:11 PM.
post #760 of 778 Old 07-07-2014, 02:33 PM

It turned out to be the formatter board.

They also found an issue with the lens assembly that was not there on shipment. They repaired this a no charge.

Might have to eat this cost just to get my projector back.

On Edit: I think I am am mistaken and it was not the formatter board. Will update when I find the info

K

Last edited by PhotoKevin; 07-07-2014 at 04:12 PM.
post #761 of 778 Old 07-07-2014, 04:03 PM

Right now, I pretty much regret buying the Vango.

I bought it to make my life simpler. It has made it more complex.

K

Last edited by PhotoKevin; 07-07-2014 at 05:00 PM.
post #762 of 778 Old 07-07-2014, 04:14 PM

Went back and checked. It was the DMD board that was replaced. They sent me a formatter and and the video board initially.

The string of email is very, very long.

K
post #763 of 778 Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM

Well boys and girls, I have just decided to pay all the bills and hopefully get my projector back. I have grown very tired of this. Even though the factory was the ones who misdiagnosed the problem and sold me the wrong boards (through EE), I am just going to get them back and hold for any future problems.

So all totaled, about $1400 including shipping and the parts I didn't need. The factory did a "complementary" repair of the lens problem they found (which did not exist on shipment)

Tom Bond at Entertainment Experience has been very helpful in the process so kudos to him.

The factory folks (intentionally left blank in line with my mother's teachings)

I hope the thing actually works when I get it.

I hope that all your Vangos work well until you are ready to replace them. No one should have to go through this.

I will update when it gets here.

Kevin
post #764 of 778 Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM

Good news.

Shipment notification on the projector. DHL does not give an estimated delivery.

K
post #765 of 778 Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post
Good news.

Shipment notification on the projector. DHL does not give an estimated delivery.

K
Great news! Hopefully you'll be back enjoying the projector soon.
PhotoKevin likes this.
post #766 of 778 Old 07-16-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Great news Kevin.

Mine has been working perfect as of late. (curse you HDMI/HDCP).

It's hard to say if this is the smartest purchase I ever made but in the grand scheme of things this hobby has had plenty of hits and misses and when things are great they are definitely great. I wish EE stayed in for the long haul but I guess that was always something we knew could happen.
PhotoKevin likes this.
post #767 of 778 Old 07-17-2014, 08:35 AM

I am going to play a little more with the EE color box when I get the PJ back. Tom says it is the "best." Mine has been sitting in the box for most of the time I have owned it.

My projector was calibrated without it so, I never used it much. I am going to see what it can really do.

I think that this color technology was EE's real focus all along.

Kevin
post #768 of 778 Old 07-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I am going to play a little more with the EE color box when I get the PJ back. Tom says it is the "best." Mine has been sitting in the box for most of the time I have owned it.

My projector was calibrated without it so, I never used it much. I am going to see what it can really do.

I think that this color technology was EE's real focus all along.

Kevin
I would interested in your findings WRT the EE box. I have one I never bothered to install. I frankly never sensed a need. One of my rationales, perhaps not borne up by facts, was that the EE box drove the power supply harder and possibly the LEDs and the attendant cooling apparatus. I regret your sad repair saga but I do maintain that you will always have a story---long after you lose interest in projectors.
post #769 of 778 Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlubbers View Post
I would interested in your findings WRT the EE box. I have one I never bothered to install. I frankly never sensed a need. One of my rationales, perhaps not borne up by facts, was that the EE box drove the power supply harder and possibly the LEDs and the attendant cooling apparatus. I regret your sad repair saga but I do maintain that you will always have a story---long after you lose interest in projectors.
I will report what I find.

It did drive the projector harder. At least the fan was louder when I tried before. I still have the wiring in the wall to make this work so, I will play a little.

As to the story: I have always said that it is about a good story and not necessarily what happened.

K
post #770 of 778 Old 07-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I will report what I find.

It did drive the projector harder. At least the fan was louder when I tried before. I still have the wiring in the wall to make this work so, I will play a little.

As to the story: I have always said that it is about a good story and not necessarily what happened.

K
As Samuel Clemens, inter alios, so aptly demonstrated.
post #771 of 778 Old 07-18-2014, 05:45 PM

Good News Everyone! (to borrow a phrase)

Projector is here, hung and working. I have yet to check to see if the calibration is in memory. I will do that next week.

I have it on and will leave it run for a while to make sure that there is no quick failure.

I do have two of the boards for replacement if they fail. Could not get out of paying for those. Also, I had to pay a duty to customs. Don't really know where that came from but I just wanted my projector back.

I am back to where I can tell the difference in quality between different feeds on cable. Maybe we will watch a movie on BluRay tonight.

Now I need a repair on my Oppo BR player. The tray sometimes does not want to come out. It does work most of the time and almost always after it warms up.

The Dwin will go back in the box and on the shelf. I have learned the value of a backup.

Thanks to everyone for the moral support. I have really needed a place to vent during this nightmare. I sincerely hope that none of you have to go through this. Almost six months between failure and repair.

Kevin
post #772 of 778 Old 07-18-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Kevin -
Really glad to hear you got your projector back! I think I would have gone ballistic way before you did.

Did you just quote Professor Putricide:
"GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I've discovered a Plague, that will wipe out all life on Azeroth!",
or Professor Farnsworth:
"Good news everyone! Several years ago I tried to log on to AOL, and it just went through! Wheee! We're online!"?

I've been thinking I'd send my EE color box to Tom and try to get the latest firmware. The hardware seems interesting, but I really didn't spend much time with it. The last time I tried it everything seemed quite good except skin tones seemed a little orange. Perhaps all I needed was a color tweak once it was enabled.

Best regards,
Tim
post #773 of 778 Old 07-19-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Its not firmware. Its the tables which are pre loaded and these are generated not by EE and are not locked in concrete as being correct. they are compromises to offset room conditions and the changes they affect on a given set of eyes. Over the years they have changed but its a trade off.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #774 of 778 Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 AM

Hyrax,

I was really thinking of Farnsworth but in this case Putricide might be more apropos.

Here is a link to the ee color box info with the TruView Application software.

http://www.eecolor.com/index.php/products/

There is also a link to calibration software on the page. (I need to investigate this)

I have yet to play with it but plan to. I might have issues as I will first try through Parallels on my Mac but I do have a Win XP box sitting in the closet. I do have the Lumigen Mini so I don't know how the ee box compares as Tom told me that it can be used for calibration.

We watched some television last night. I really need to get the colors back set as it was (relatively) neon. To say it had a little pop would be a gross understatement. I did not change it from what I think was a factory reset. I will look into that next week when I have more time.

Kevin
post #775 of 778 Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Its not firmware. Its the tables which are pre loaded and these are generated not by EE and are not locked in concrete as being correct. they are compromises to offset room conditions and the changes they affect on a given set of eyes. Over the years they have changed but its a trade off.
Quote:
Hyrax,

I was really thinking of Farnsworth but in this case Putricide might be more apropos.

Here is a link to the ee color box info with the TruView Application software.

http://www.eecolor.com/index.php/products/

There is also a link to calibration software on the page. (I need to investigate this)

I have yet to play with it but plan to. I might have issues as I will first try through Parallels on my Mac but I do have a Win XP box sitting in the closet. I do have the Lumigen Mini so I don't know how the ee box compares as Tom told me that it can be used for calibration.

We watched some television last night. I really need to get the colors back set as it was (relatively) neon. To say it had a little pop would be a gross understatement. I did not change it from what I think was a factory reset. I will look into that next week when I have more time.

Kevin

When I got my Vango, I had Jason calibrate it (D65) before he sent it out. I know it would have been better to calibrate on my Stewart screen in my room. None the less, for my eyes the colors are spot on. I played with the EE box some and never bought into the concept of needing to add something to a properly calibrated projector. I tried using the different "adjustments" with different room lighting. Nothing made me go wow, or say "that's really better".

Just my opinion.

Regards,
John
post #776 of 778 Old 07-19-2014, 12:52 PM

John,

Mine too was calibrated before I got it. Tom Huffman did mine. (he did the color on the PJ and the black on the Lumagen) He sent me the numbers and I can punch them in if they are not still in memory. I too first played with the ee color box and found that i did not need it and put it back in the box.

I guess that this time I just want to play around with it a little more. I did note that the setting on the pj was ee color when I was going through the menus to set the correct orientation.

I am really wanting to play with the ee box for calibration and find out how it compares to the Lumagen. I only tried it as enhancement the first time around but Tom Bond says it is great for calibrating the display.

Last night, as always, we were watching in a darkened dedicated room. The color might have better with the lights up as they tend to wash out a little on my Stewart Studiotek 130.

Kevin
post #777 of 778 Old 07-19-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Use of the tables in the box is too adjust the colors to account how your eyes see specific colors under different room lighting conditions. Not all colors can be addressed and its half art rather than science with testing as to what most people might be seeing. There is no absolute correction for the effect light has on eye's eyes.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #778 of 778 Old 07-19-2014, 05:45 PM

At this point all I know is what Tom Bond sent me.

"You can us it as a calibration box(superior to all on the market) or you can use it to boost colors for dark, dim or bright viewing environments."

Kevin
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page