post #811 of 834 Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
Seegs. If only Heath Kit was still around and you could build your own projector. You would have made a great FP stack or blend EVERY BOARD modified CRTer.
Mark, it looks like I missed my true calling then.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 834 Old 08-20-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Status update:

Went to do some test with a BluRay. Would not start same as before. Opening the case to push on the place with the problem connector.

more to follow

Kevin
post #813 of 834 Old 08-20-2014, 04:12 PM

So far I have tried pushing on the plate that holds the video card per Tom's earlier instructions. No luck.

Might be tomorrow or Friday until I can take it apart and reassemble.

K
post #814 of 834 Old 08-21-2014, 12:06 PM

Now apart and reassembled putting an additional spacer under the Formatter board to push the problem connector together. No luck.

Also, found a screw missing from the formatter board.

Actively working with Tom Bond.

Kevin
post #815 of 834 Old 08-25-2014, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Man this is brutal.

Just wanted to say I've had mine hung the whole time. I actually pondered if this was causing the issue that turned out to be HDMI related. I managed the AV department at a university for a number of years and hanging the Vango felt clunkier than any of the dozens I installed and occasionally took down on campus. The custom hanging plate still leaves me scratching my head at times. But in the end it works.

Crossing my fingers for good luck to you.
post #816 of 834 Old 08-26-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyM View Post
Man this is brutal.

Just wanted to say I've had mine hung the whole time. I actually pondered if this was causing the issue that turned out to be HDMI related. I managed the AV department at a university for a number of years and hanging the Vango felt clunkier than any of the dozens I installed and occasionally took down on campus. The custom hanging plate still leaves me scratching my head at times. But in the end it works.

Crossing my fingers for good luck to you.
Thanks Corey,

I was a Multimedia Manager in the Air Force so I have a little experience as well. I know that I have seen some much better metal work when the fabrication guys would help us out and make something. You are right though, it does work.

No success on the projector. Have not heard from Tom for a few days. I am about ready to throw in the towel on this one. We may be moving soon so this projector may not make the cut.

I still seems that there is a problem between the video card and the formatter card. I have tried changing the spacers and no luck. I think that this may be a design or manufacturing issue. Not robust enough or on the edge of the manufacturing spec. But hey, what can you expect for $10K?

One screw was missing from the formatter card when the PJ was returned and I don't have one to replace it with. (sorry for the bad sentence) Maybe next week, I will be able to play with this a little. One thing is for sure, I am not ready to throw good money after bad since I have seen the attention to detail of the factory repair. One of the screws for the computer input is missing as well. The only way I would go back to them would be at no cost and they say this is a new problem and have washed their hands.

Anyone need an anchor for their boat?

Kevin
post #817 of 834 Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll gladly take this burden off your hands.
post #818 of 834 Old 09-08-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Just picked up a brand new unit (with a warranty...pfew ). Pretty excited to check out one of these Chi-Lin LED projectors. I believe this is the same projector as the Sim2 Mico 50 and Wolf Cinema DCL-200FD. Though I believe this unit is a little unique in that it adds in an extra white LED for extra brightness if needed.

Last edited by Seegs108; 09-08-2014 at 03:10 PM.
post #819 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 08:46 AM

I hope it is trouble free.

Kevin
post #820 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Just picked up a brand new unit (with a warranty...pfew ). Pretty excited to check out one of these Chi-Lin LED projectors. I believe this is the same projector as the Sim2 Mico 50 and Wolf Cinema DCL-200FD. Though I believe this unit is a little unique in that it adds in an extra white LED for extra brightness if needed.
like your going to have it long enough to use the warranty...

speaking of which, sounds scary to have to deal with.

how different is this projector going to be vs. the Runco 750 + clones?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #821 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

It (the Vango) is water cooled instead of air cooled, so there should be no fan noise [there is a power supply noise to both the Runco and the Vango, though].

I believe the Vango is also slightly (but enough to notice) brighter.

I checked out the Runco and liked it, but I thought the potential for the Vango plus the EE color box was higher. And it was cheaper.
post #822 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
like your going to have it long enough to use the warranty...

This projector has a totally different light engine, optics and processing suite compared to the Runco clones. The Runco and it's clones are all based off of the Delta OEM design (which is the same light engine, optics and processing as the PD8150). This projector is based off of a Chi Lin OEM design. It uses a newly designed light engine, with water cooled LEDs, newer video processing, and has higher end (motorized) optics. The lens on this thing looks like a beast. Jeff Meier measured 800:1 ANSI contrast and a little over 10000:1 with the "DI" enabled. Though there's a neat feature to drive the LED's harder if you want more light output. Supposedly it can crank out close to 1000 lumens if you want it to. So it should be able to fill an enormous screen if you wanted it to. Contrast performance is still pretty typical of a higher end DLP projector and should be right around where my DC4 PD8130's is at. This is the same projector as the Sim2 Mico 50 and Wolf Cinema DCL-200FD.

Last edited by Seegs108; 09-09-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #823 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Though there's a neat feature to drive the LED's harder if you want more light output.
My Vango is going to hit the 8000 hours and it still is like the first time I turned it on.
Which is the neat feature to have more light output ?????
post #824 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualunquemente View Post
My Vango is going to hit the 8000 hours and it still is like the first time I turned it on.
Which is the neat feature to have more light output ?????
There's a high brightness mode you can enable for more lumens. In this video it talks a little bit about doing this:

post #825 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Warranty is not a problem until you have to deal with a factory repair. Tom Bond fixed my first repair in little time. The only small trouble I had was shipping.

I am still trying to get my Vango to work. I hope to get back to it later today.

Kevin
post #826 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This projector has a totally different light engine, optics and processing suite compared to the Runco clones. The Runco and it's clones are all based off of the Delta OEM design (which is the same light engine, optics and processing as the PD8150). This projector is based off of a Chi Lin OEM design. It uses a newly designed light engine, with water cooled LEDs, newer video processing, and has higher end (motorized) optics. The lens on this thing looks like a beast. Jeff Meier measured 800:1 ANSI contrast and a little over 10000:1 with the "DI" enabled. Though there's a neat feature to drive the LED's harder if you want more light output. Supposedly it can crank out close to 1000 lumens if you want it to. So it should be able to fill an enormous screen if you wanted it to. Contrast performance is still pretty typical of a higher end DLP projector and should be right around where my DC4 PD8130's is at. This is the same projector as the Sim2 Mico 50 and Wolf Cinema DCL-200FD.
I think you should overclock the LED's to a cool 1500 lumens. Run an external pump + heavy duty radiator.

Once calibrated, what realistic advantages will it have over the 8170? (besides the LED vs. lamp of course)

post #827 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Higher ANSI, sharper picture, slightly better motion processing, no RBE, I'm assuming its quieter, and possibly brighter. I should have it tomorrow. My unit is shipping from Tom Bond himself who lives in Rochester.
post #828 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I think you should overclock the LED's to a cool 1500 lumens. Run an external pump + heavy duty radiator.

Once calibrated, what realistic advantages will it have over the 8170? (besides the LED vs. lamp of course)
1) no raibows
2) no lamps to buy
3) constant performance
4) constant calibration
5) no warm up or warm down
6) blackout effect black screen
7) 10 bit drivers
8) liquid cooling
9) motorized zoom and focus
10) Eecolor processor (if you dont want to use it for extra color gamut you can still use it for state of the art calibration)
post #829 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

it all sounds good on paper (or screen), but would like to know what real visual advantage there is once the lights are out. I am extremely RBE sensitive and the Planar 8170 DC4 I have here is excellent in this regard.

the planar does a very good job at holding calibration and the OEM lamps are practically free. My DC4 planar was so inexpensive there would have be a major visual advantage unless you got a killer deal on it. now if it did 3D with 1000 lumens, man that would be exciting.

I thought these models weren't being sold anymore? What does Tom Bond's company do these days?

post #830 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

As well as it does with RBE I still see it on the PD8170 I have. It's especially evident with the new bulb I just installed. You asked me a similar question about the three chip DLPs I had. The extra brightness and higher lens quality really did make a visual difference in picture quality. It was definitely a major step up in apparent image quality. So if this can do around 1000 lumens in the high brightness mode and then factor in the extra brightness the nature of LEDs brings to the table (with higher color saturation), it should resemble the 3-chip DLPs in most ways.
post #831 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You also never got back to me about the PD8170 vs 1000ES. Let me know your findings when you get a chance.
post #832 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

let me know about the iris activity and how it compares. I've been so busy outside the HT I promise to get back to the Planar and VW1100 soon.

I'll have to bookmark the date so I can count down the time before it goes MIA.... although this one I would tempted to overdrive the LED's and run a cool steam-punk themed external water cooler.

post #833 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I would imagine the power supply and Osram RAPCUR LED driver can't give enough power to the LEDs for that kind of lumen output. Plus I'd need to know how to gain access to the driver controls to do that.
post #834 of 834 Old 09-09-2014, 02:57 PM

Well I changed out the formatter card to go with the new video card previously installed. Was looking to see if that board pair was a better fit in the connectors. Made sure all the video card screws near the infamous connecter were tight.

No change. Maybe I should just throw in the towel.

Kevin

On edit:

Or maybe I have gone insane doing the same thing over and over hoping for different results.

Last edited by PhotoKevin; 09-09-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page