TruVue Vango - Owner's Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #871 of 900 Old 05-25-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Kevin. Which team do you predict will win the cup? Before last night, I was picking the Ducks. The Ducks won. I think the finals will be Ducks vs Lightening. With the Ducks winning in 5.

Last edited by mark haflich; 05-26-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 900 Old 05-26-2015, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hoping for a Ducks/Lightening Final. Mostly, I just want to see good hockey. I do watch some during the regular season but during the playoffs it seems like they step it up into high gear. The effort goes off the scale.

I used to go to games when we traveled to an NHL city. We very rarely got good seats because none were available. I like watching games in my theater better. Only one time would I pick to watch live. That time, a friend of a friend who was a season ticket holder sold us that tickets. Can't seem to get anything like it unless you are connected.

K
post #873 of 900 Old 05-27-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
After last nights game and based on ranger's history, it looks like the Rangers vs Ducks. This will make Thrang happy
post #874 of 900 Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 PM

Just want to see good hockey.

Last edited by PhotoKevin; 05-27-2015 at 06:55 PM.
post #875 of 900 Old 09-07-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quiet thread.

Is no news good news? For me it is. Football (actually, all sports), streaming, PS4, and Blu-Rays still look fine to me. Most of the time everything looks so natural that I don't even think about the projector.

In other words, I am still enjoying my Vango immensely, and I hope everyone else out there is also.

Happy Labor Day.
post #876 of 900 Old 09-16-2015, 10:35 AM

How is it going Hyrax? Glad to see that someone is still around here.

I too have been enjoying my Vango but just yesterday found something disturbing. I am breaking down our theater in preparation for our move to America. When I took the projector down from the mount and was wrapping it to go in the box I heard the sound of a loose screw bouncing around in the case.

On the bright side, I found the missing screw that the inept tech in Taiwan had lost in his (partial) repair.

The down side is I have to once again take it apart to fix something the "qualified" technician was supposed to fix.

(This now makes three things he did improperly)

The scary part is this could have shorted out something. I guess I dodged the bullet on that one.

Funny story: the folks buying the house asked that the projector and screen be included. (My screen is a nice fixed one from Stewart Filmscreen) I told them I would sell it but they might not like the price.

Kevin
post #877 of 900 Old 09-23-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Kevin-
Good to hear from you. I hope it is good news that you're moving to the lower 48.

Your 'screw loose' story got me thinking I ought to open the Vango and give it a good cleaning. Did you have any trouble opening the box? It kind of looks like a computer case to me, so I'm thinking it should not be all that hard. Is there anything that I need to watch out for?

I passed 8000 hours on my projector several days ago, and it is still looking as good as ever. I'm not sure I'd want to sell mine until 4K projectors and content are as common as HD is now. Also, I told my wife that the projector was a sensible purchase because would last me 10 years or more (I don't think she really bought that line, tho)

Tim
post #878 of 900 Old 10-08-2015, 11:53 AM

Sorry for the delay. We have been on the road.

The case is straight-forward to open. I can almost do it in my sleep now. You have to spread the case a little when you pull it off. No big thing though.

I will be setting up in a rental house for a while. Trying to get the stand for my screen and thinking about a rack for the equipment and set the projector on top.

JIS screwdrivers are helpful but not required. They fit the "phillips" screws a lot better. Just be careful with regular ones.

Kevin
post #879 of 900 Old 10-11-2015, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
All,

I'm just wondering, can this projector still be purchase or is the company out of business. I couldn't really find concrete evidence on the internet. I see people still posting and referring to some one name Tom. Are these being sold outside the country now?

Thanks

Andre
post #880 of 900 Old 10-11-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2774 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
All,

I'm just wondering, can this projector still be purchase or is the company out of business. I couldn't really find concrete evidence on the internet. I see people still posting and referring to some one name Tom. Are these being sold outside the country now?

Thanks

Andre
The company is not out of business, however, they don't sell this projector anymore. I bought the last three units directly from Tom last year. I believe they still sell and develop the eeColor processor, however.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!!
post #881 of 900 Old 10-24-2015, 05:38 PM

Well boys and girls, I finally got time in the move-in process to pop the case on my Vango and fix the other thing that the barely competent tech at the factory missed.

After taking the screws out of the cover (something I can now do with my eyes closed), I pried back the edges and the loose screw fell to the ground. This puppy in the wrong place could have done some serious damage. I fully removed the cover and put the screw back to where it should have gone in the first place.

Now I have to make a stand for my screen since I am not allowed to put holes in the rental house. I have a projector stand coming from MarkerTek. (along with a resupply of gaffer's tape) The bluray player is off to OPPO for a minor repair and then we will be back in business. (With OPPO, I expect that this will be right the first time) Hopefully we will be in a permanent place soon so I can do a proper install.

I do wish that the folks associated with our projectors on the other side of the pond were as good as the ones on this side. My experience would have been much more pleasant. I still like to picture this throws.

May none of you have to experience a repair from the factory.

Kevin
Seegs108 likes this.

Last edited by PhotoKevin; 10-24-2015 at 05:43 PM.
post #882 of 900 Old 11-05-2015, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
image slightly dull

Hi there,Had a similar issue like Photokevin a couple years ago when I sent my unit to the Taiwan factory because my vango would go into a loop on startup. They repaired the unit(Warranty expired) and sent it back, but when I fired it up, the day I received the unit, the zoom on the lens was not working. There was no issue with the lens when I sent it so I called up the factory to inquire and they told me that it is a new issue and I would have to pay extra for it and most likely involve replacing the lens. Since it had already cost me a thousand dollars(including shipping) I tried to see if I could manually adjust the zoom since once set it rarely required adjustment. Luckily the zoom can be manually adjusted and the lens focus still works via the remote so I did not send it back. Everything else was fine unitll the past 10 days.Tthe picture seems to have become a little dull. I had this issue in the past when my unit was in warranty and Tom fixed the issue for free. there was some kind of dust build up on some part that I can't remember right now but the issue has been posted on, in detail, in this thread with pictures somewhere earlier. Wonder if it is the same thing. Can I do a cleanup/service on my own if I get my hands on a service manual? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 11-05-2015 at 12:32 AM.
post #883 of 900 Old 11-05-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post
Hi there,Had a similar issue like Photokevin a couple years ago when I sent my unit to the Taiwan factory because my vango would go into a loop on startup. They repaired the unit(Warranty expired) and sent it back, but when I fired it up, the day I received the unit, the zoom on the lens was not working. There was no issue with the lens when I sent it so I called up the factory to inquire and they told me that it is a new issue and I would have to pay extra for it and most likely involve replacing the lens. Since it had already cost me a thousand dollars(including shipping) I tried to see if I could manually adjust the zoom since once set it rarely required adjustment. Luckily the zoom can be manually adjusted and the lens focus still works via the remote so I did not send it back. Everything else was fine unitll the past 10 days.Tthe picture seems to have become a little dull. I had this issue in the past when my unit was in warranty and Tom fixed the issue for free. there was some kind of dust build up on some part that I can't remember right now but the issue has been posted on, in detail, in this thread with pictures somewhere earlier. Wonder if it is the same thing. Can I do a cleanup/service on my own if I get my hands on a service manual? any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sent you a PM

K
post #884 of 900 Old 11-05-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post
Sent you a PM

K
That's not fair. We would like to know the fix.

Jack
post #885 of 900 Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
That's not fair. We would like to know the fix.
Have not had that problem. So I don't have the fix. I just have the Service Manual and asked for his email.

K
post #886 of 900 Old 11-05-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Sent you a PM

K
Thanks for your quick reply photokevin I have replied to your PM
post #887 of 900 Old 11-05-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply photokevin I have replied to your PM
You are most welcome.

Email sent.

K
post #888 of 900 Old 11-19-2015, 12:33 AM

Finally some hope to a solution. Got a reply from Tom today and a couple of days ago from Ruby Lee at T.Q. Tech., Taiwan(not Chi Lin Tech.) regarding the issue and the replacement parts. Have asked Tom to send me some instructions to repair the Vango myself. Fingers crossed. It is a great projector when it does work properly, therefore my efforts.
post #889 of 900 Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 AM

Anybody had this issue. In the last week or so when dynamic contrast is enabled there is a slight fluctuation in the image where there is a slight increase in redness in the entire image that comes and goes. If I disable Dynamic contrast the image stays stable. Seems like either a software or LED issue. Any solution anybody aware of. Can somebody give me the configuration of a calibrated Vango (including figures entered in the advanced individual USER CONTROL colour settings)

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 11-25-2015 at 09:29 AM.
post #890 of 900 Old 11-26-2015, 06:44 PM

I will find mine and send but, I do have a lumagen and some of the settings were done in it for calibration.

Most likely tomorrow as I have to dig for the email.

I have not had the problem though. I don't use the dynamic setting.

K
post #891 of 900 Old 11-26-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Anybody had this issue. In the last week or so when dynamic contrast is enabled there is a slight fluctuation in the image where there is a slight increase in redness in the entire image that comes and goes. If I disable Dynamic contrast the image stays stable. Seems like either a software or LED issue. Any solution anybody aware of. Can somebody give me the configuration of a calibrated Vango (including figures entered in the advanced individual USER CONTROL colour settings)

Sent you an email of what I got when the projector was calibrated.

K
post #892 of 900 Old 11-27-2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Sent you an email of what I got when the projector was calibrated.

K

Thanks PhotoKevin for the mail.

I went ahead and opened/dismantled the lens module and the chamber in the light passage to extract the mirror. The process was not that difficult. There was a lot of dust and some spots that looked like rust on the metal front coated optical glass mirror used to reflect the light from the LED light source. Apparently the chamber that holds the mirror is not sealed/airtight according to an email from the factory and needed cleaning(a design flaw I think). In addition to that the chamber is directly in front of the radiator fan(it doesn't require cooling I think as there is no heat source in it) which constantly blows external intake air onto it causing dust build up. I was told to clean the mirror's metallic surface with ethyl/isopropyl alcohol, which I am a little apprehensive about, as they do not have a spare mirror at the factory. Replacing this mirror with a new clean one seems like the best option but now I might have to attempt at cleaning the mirror. Hope I don't damage the metallic(looks like aluminium or silver) coating on it.

By the way while dismantling the lens module I noticed that one of the two wires in the cable for the zoom operation on the lens had come out of the two pin connector. That is why when I received the Vango from the factory the zoom was not working. I reconnected the wire to the pin and now the zoom is working perfectly. Went through over a year without remote controlled zoom because of a silly oversight by the factory.

Saved on the cost of transportation plus new lens as proposed by the factory just by reconnecting the broken wire.

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 11-27-2015 at 03:33 AM.
post #893 of 900 Old 11-27-2015, 09:42 AM

If it is a front silvered mirror like on on a camera, you need to be very careful in cleaning it. I would get some very good alcohol to clean it with our else you might be cleaning the solution residue.

I have eclipse solution for cleaning camera sensors. I would use something like that. Very pure alcohol.

More coming email soon.

K
post #894 of 900 Old 12-24-2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
If it is a front silvered mirror like on on a camera, you need to be very careful in cleaning it. I would get some very good alcohol to clean it with our else you might be cleaning the solution residue.

I have eclipse solution for cleaning camera sensors. I would use something like that. Very pure alcohol.

More coming email soon.

K

Tried using a third party mirror but Got a LED STRIKE FAILURE ERROR. I replaced the original mirror and the projector is working again but very dull due to the rust on it.

I have tried to ask for a replacement mirror from the factory but they do not have one. I have emailed Tom to see if he has one or even if he could tell me the specs of the mirror. I am awaiting his reply. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime I have found out that it is not actually a regular opaque mirror in the true sense. It does reflect the LED light source onto the chip but there is a sensor placed behind the mirror that is out of the light path attached externally to the mirror chamber which senses the light that is bouncing off the mirrors surface. It can do this because the mirror is not opaque and a part of the light gets transmitted through the mirror onto the back and out the light path through a hole in the chamber behind the mirror where the sensor is. The sensor in turn uses this light to further modulate either the LEDs or the DMD chip. That is why when I used the third party opaque mirror the projector would not work(LED Strike Failure).

If anyone knows what kind of mirror is used in this design and give me the specs maybe I could get it locally in case Tom or the factory fail to do so.

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 12-24-2015 at 03:55 AM.
post #895 of 900 Old 12-24-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Tried using a third party mirror but Got a LED STRIKE FAILURE ERROR. I replaced the original mirror and the projector is working again but very dull due to the rust on it.

I have tried to ask for a replacement mirror from the factory but they do not have one. I have emailed Tom to see if he has one or even if he could tell me the specs of the mirror. I am awaiting his reply. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime I have found out that it is not actually a regular opaque mirror in the true sense. It does reflect the LED light source onto the chip but there is a sensor placed behind the mirror that is out of the light path attached externally to the mirror chamber which senses the light that is bouncing off the mirrors surface. It can do this because the mirror is not opaque and a part of the light gets transmitted through the mirror onto the back and out the light path through a hole in the chamber behind the mirror where the sensor is. The sensor in turn uses this light to further modulate either the LEDs or the DMD chip. That is why when I used the third party opaque mirror the projector would not work(LED Strike Failure).

If anyone knows what kind of mirror is used in this design and give me the specs maybe I could get it locally in case Tom or the factory fail to do so.

I know that there are other projectors that used the ChiLin light engine. I don't know who they are but I am sure that someone here might. You might could source the parts from that brand.

Kevin
post #896 of 900 Old 12-24-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2774 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
The other projectors using this Chi Lin light engine are the Sim2 Mico 50 and the Wolf Cinema DCL-200FD. Sim2 seems to be using this light engine in the Mico 60 and even the M.1xx line but they've added in their custom video processing to the M line and may have made some changes to the light engine, but the Mico 50 and Wolf unit I mentioned use the same vanilla Chi Lin light engine as the Vango.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey!!
post #897 of 900 Old 12-24-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I know that there are other projectors that used the ChiLin light engine. I don't know who they are but I am sure that someone here might. You might could source the parts from that brand.

Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The other projectors using this Chi Lin light engine are the Sim2 Mico 50 and the Wolf Cinema DCL-200FD. Sim2 seems to be using this light engine in the Mico 60 and even the M.1xx line but they've added in their custom video processing to the M line and may have made some changes to the light engine, but the Mico 50 and Wolf unit I mentioned use the same vanilla Chi Lin light engine as the Vango.

Thanks for your advise PhotoKevin and Seegs108. Just got some information about Chi Lin Tech. Ltd. Check this out
http://www.agiledisplaysolutions.com/about/history

According to them ChiLin Solutions spun out of Chi Lin Tech and Agile Display solutions was formed last year in its stead with an American office at
9375 SW Commerce Circle,
Suite A7, Wilsonville,
OR 97070, USA.
Phone: +1-503-570-3366
Fax: +1-503-570-6111

That is kind of what the factory was telling me saying that they do not deal with projectors anymore. I am going to try and speak to Agile after the holidays and see if they have the mirror I need. Hope they can help.

Also just got a reply from Tom and he has said that he will try to source the mirror from some parts supplier. That's the first sign of hope after days of negative response from the factory(T.Q. Tech.).
PhotoKevin likes this.

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 12-25-2015 at 02:52 AM.
post #898 of 900 Old 12-26-2015, 02:36 PM

Tom is a stand up guy. I know if he can help, he will.

Kevin
post #899 of 900 Old 01-03-2016, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Tom is a stand up guy. I know if he can help, he will.

Kevin
Fingers crossed. On a separate topic I am planning to shift the Vango to another room. The max. Throw Ratio in that room is 1.44. I am currently using the standard Short throw lens which has a minimum T.R. of 1.5. I have emailed Tom inquiring about the availability of a shorter T.R. Lens. I had read about an Ultra short Throw Lens being offered for the Vango. Hope it is still available.
post #900 of 900 Old 01-03-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally got rid of a ED RPTV (you cannot call a 720p TV HD) that I used for gaming and watching TV with the lights turned on. I replaced it with a Samsung SUHD JS8500TV. It is interesting comparing it to the Vango because somethings it does a lot better and others it does worse. The most obvious benefits of the Samsung TV are usually better contrast and brightness. The two most obvious benefits of the Vango are that its contrast is constant across the entire screen (light objects in dark surroundings get an annoying halo around them on the Samsung) and the Vango's superior viewing angel. Oh, and the screen size of the Vango cannot not be matched by a LCD TV. My TV room lets in a fair amount of late afternoon light during the winter so that football, movies, and TV all look better to me on the Samsung during the daytime. At night the benefits of the Vango are more obvious. I am happily keeping the Vango for my evening movie and football watching, but am surprised at how good the picture is on the Samsung.

Just thought I'd let you know that, at least in my opinion, LCD TVs have gained a lot of ground on DLP projectors. I didn't think a year ago that even the most expensive LCD TVs were worth getting. It sure would be nice to get a new generation of DLP projectors...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page