TruVue Vango - Owner's Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #901 of 960 Old 05-11-2016, 10:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi there. It's awfully quiet. Is everybody doing ok?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 960 Old 05-13-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am doing well and still watching mine in a temporary setup in a rental house after we moved to the Seattle area. I have had the projector go off a couple of times soon after startup but a cold boot has fixed it each time.

Looking forward to when we put down roots again and I can build a new theater.

Kevin
post #903 of 960 Old 05-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post
Hi there. It's awfully quiet. Is everybody doing ok?
System has worked without a hiccup since day one. I have switched to tubes, horns and two channel which I realize is contrarian. So is the Vango. I don't expect to look over my shoulder and see folks following.

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP

post #904 of 960 Old 05-13-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlubbers View Post
System has worked without a hiccup since day one. I have switched to tubes, horns and two channel which I realize is contrarian. So is the Vango. I don't expect to look over my shoulder and see folks following.
I have considered going to tubes. I have some small Horns on my upstairs system. Klipsch Heresey II. They are way over powered by a Nakamichi PA-7 which is a Threshold design in another skin. As I understand, it was a little too close for the Threshold folks which gave rise to the PA-7 II.

I do wish I had the house for a pair of K-horns. I have wanted a pair since I was 12 or 13.

So it would appear that even though I am not following, I am in your neighborhood.

Kevin
post #905 of 960 Old 05-13-2016, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been lugging LaScala's since 78 from country to country and state to state. If I had done Khorns I likely would have had to abandon them somewhere as too big to deal with. They say in the end what sticks in your craw will not be what you did but what you did not do. I don't have many regrets, but khorns are one of them. The faithful are gathering in Hope next weekend. We will be at Barber for the Historics but maybe next year. https://community.klipsch.com/index....016-may-20-22/

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP
post #906 of 960 Old 05-13-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlubbers View Post
I have been lugging LaScala's since 78 from country to country and state to state. If I had done Khorns I likely would have had to abandon them somewhere as too big to deal with. They say in the end what sticks in your craw will not be what you did but what you did not do. I don't have many regrets, but khorns are one of them. The faithful are gathering in Hope next weekend. We will be at Barber for the Historics but maybe next year. https://community.klipsch.com/index....016-may-20-22/
LaScala's would be very nice as well. I pretty much love the Heritage line, current and past. I did pass up a good deal on some K-horns but the house was small and I was in Alaska. I just paid a high price to move in the last few months. Those would have jacked the price even more.

I am still hoping that I will get mine one day. Or maybe a Home Theater with K-horns and Heresey Satellites or maybe with a Cornwall Center.

Kevin

Last edited by PhotoKevin; 05-13-2016 at 05:57 PM.
post #907 of 960 Old 06-07-2016, 11:52 AM

I am having an intermittent problem. Last night, the screen blanked with what I would call a pattern of the old analog snow when getting no signal. I restarted the projector. The screen was normal for a minute or so, then the projector shut down. (the latter had happened before)

I unplugged the projector and restarted. Everything was normal for the rest of the night.

If I have a real problem, I hope it is one of the boards that I have. The way it acted last night (the snow) I would lean to the input board. At least I have one of those.

After all my trials and tribulations, it would appear that I got the lemon of the bunch.

Here is hoping your mileage is better.

Kevin
post #908 of 960 Old 06-07-2016, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post
I am having an intermittent problem. Last night, the screen blanked with what I would call a pattern of the old analog snow when getting no signal. I restarted the projector. The screen was normal for a minute or so, then the projector shut down. (the latter had happened before)

I unplugged the projector and restarted. Everything was normal for the rest of the night.

If I have a real problem, I hope it is one of the boards that I have. The way it acted last night (the snow) I would lean to the input board. At least I have one of those.

After all my trials and tribulations, it would appear that I got the lemon of the bunch.

Kevin
Kevin,

I have been following your travails since they started. You certainly have my sympathy. As a suggestion, you might try the PF1500 LG LED projector. I've had mine for over a year now without a hiccup. It's full 1080p and casts a great picture. There are even some very good settings on the thread(New LG PF1500 LED Projector) that make it look 95% as good as my JVC RS40. It wouldn't surprise me if the video quality was as good as the Vango as it is dlp and led. Probably uses the same TI assembly and LED assembly; just in a newer package. It can be bought for less than $1,000 on Amazon and of course sent back if it doesn't measure up to the Vango, although I think it will.

Jack
post #909 of 960 Old 06-09-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Kevin,

I have been following your travails since they started. You certainly have my sympathy. As a suggestion, you might try the PF1500 LG LED projector. I've had mine for over a year now without a hiccup. It's full 1080p and casts a great picture. There are even some very good settings on the thread(New LG PF1500 LED Projector) that make it look 95% as good as my JVC RS40. It wouldn't surprise me if the video quality was as good as the Vango as it is dlp and led. Probably uses the same TI assembly and LED assembly; just in a newer package. It can be bought for less than $1,000 on Amazon and of course sent back if it doesn't measure up to the Vango, although I think it will.
Thanks for the advice. It has worked since I did a cold boot of the projector. The analog snow pattern is what is interesting. I have never seen that before in a digital device. Since I only reset the PJ, I can't think that it was anything else in the chain.

Kevin
post #910 of 960 Old 06-09-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. It has worked since I did a cold boot of the projector. The analog snow pattern is what is interesting. I have never seen that before in a digital device. Since I only reset the PJ, I can't think that it was anything else in the chain.

Kevin
Kevin-
Sorry to hear of your troubles. The Vango is a essentially special purpose computer, so resetting it could cure all sorts of things. I find it works wonders on my Windows computers.

I would say that my experience with the Vango was rocky as well. When it worked, it looked wonderful, but I did have to send it back twice to get fixed. A few months ago I semi-retired it and started using a UHD LCD TV for most of my watching. The Vango still works great, but I got tired of its noise and got tired of having to keep the curtains closed all of the time. I never really enjoyed afternoon sports because of the screen being slightly washed out. Now I can watch a baseball game with the windows open. Anyway, at first I'd use the Vango when we watched movies at night, but more and more we just use the flat screen (perhaps because it is still light at 9 PM this time of year).
post #911 of 960 Old 06-09-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Kevin-
Sorry to hear of your troubles. The Vango is a essentially special purpose computer, so resetting it could cure all sorts of things. I find it works wonders on my Windows computers.

I would say that my experience with the Vango was rocky as well. When it worked, it looked wonderful, but I did have to send it back twice to get fixed. A few months ago I semi-retired it and started using a UHD LCD TV for most of my watching. The Vango still works great, but I got tired of its noise and got tired of having to keep the curtains closed all of the time. I never really enjoyed afternoon sports because of the screen being slightly washed out. Now I can watch a baseball game with the windows open. Anyway, at first I'd use the Vango when we watched movies at night, but more and more we just use the flat screen (perhaps because it is still light at 9 PM this time of year).
Since we are now in a rental house, I can't set up my theater as I would like. I do have some light control but am limited on what I can do to block it off. This place has an HOA and I don't think they would be keen if I put aluminum foil on the windows. I don't want to buy blackout shades for my landlord as we hope to be moving in the near future. I do like to watch in a darkened room.

How much 4K content do you get?

K
post #912 of 960 Old 06-09-2016, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4680 Post(s)
Liked: 2332
Quote:
Kevin,

I've had both units here and from what I witnessed the Vango is in a different league compared the PF1500. I'll try and explain some of the differences in design and implementation to help explain why. The PF1500 uses the new .47" DMD whereas the Vango uses the high end DC4 .95" DMD. The light engines are designed completely different due to the way the .47" DMD works, ie the angle in which the light needs to hit the DMD is totally different. The light engine in the Vango is a Chi-lin OEM design and the LG is an in-house design. The Vango is using Phlatlight PT-121 LEDs and the PF1500 uses Osram Ostar LEDs. The control module is also completely different between the two and the differences in which they can control and modulate the LEDs are on two totally different levels. The Vango, like a few of the other higher end LED DLP models uses the Osram Rapcur F9030A module to control the LEDs. The PF1500 uses what seems to be an LG in-house LED driver board and is MUCH simpler in design and as such what it can do with the LEDs. It cannot modulate luminance in real time nor do sequential color anywhere near as fast as the Vango can with it's LEDs and driver board. The Vango can do sequential color that a color wheel with a 18x speed could do (this is 3 times faster than best color wheels). The in-house design on the PF1500 doesn't have published specs, but because I often noticed color breakup artifacts I'm guess it's closer to a 6-8x color wheel in terms of sequential color speed. The Vango never showed a single sign of color breakup. We can then look at the optics on the Vango, they truly were some of the nicest optics I've ever had here. It has a huge oversized lens with excellent uniformity and pixel delineation capabilities. Due to the smaller .47" DMD you'd need a HUMONGOUS lens to be able to resolve the same amount of detail from the mirrors that you get with a bigger DMD. It makes sense right? You don't need to focus as much to see bigger mirrors. Overall a much naturally sharp looking image. The LG simply doesn't have it in it's budget for the kind of lens quality it would need to compete with the Vango. On/off contrast was noticeably higher on the Vango and so was ANSI contrast (thanks to it's stellar lens). Video processing was also quite nice on the Vango, buts that's something you expect to see on a unit costing this much. The one huge issue in the LGs design I thought was it's issue with excessive light scatter in the lens. It would literally cast a halo around the projected image. Unfortunately I confirmed this seems to be an inherent issue with design of this unit. Some members have used some black flock material to catch some of the stray light:

My suggestion would be to look into a used Runco Q750i. In my opinion a better overall projector than the Vango due to it's relatively excellent dynamic contrast system and similar hardware features (same LEDs and driver module, same DLP DMD and similar lens quality). They've been going for very cheap on the used market, around $1500, lately. I just personally think the PF1500 is a huge backwards step if one is coming from the Vango. I also got to compare the PF1500 to the Runco Q750i a while back. Same opinion; the Runco is in a different league.

post #913 of 960 Old 06-09-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I've had both units here and from what I witnessed the Vango is in a different league compared the PF1500. I'll try and explain some of the differences in design and implementation to help explain why. The PF1500 uses the new .47" DMD whereas the Vango uses the high end DC4 .95" DMD. The light engines are designed completely different due to the way the .47" DMD works, ie the angle in which the light needs to hit the DMD is totally different. The light engine in the Vango is a Chi-lin OEM design and the LG is an in-house design. The Vango is using Phlatlight PT-121 LEDs and the PF1500 uses Osram Ostar LEDs. The control module is also completely different between the two and the differences in which they can control and modulate the LEDs are on two totally different levels. The Vango, like a few of the other higher end LED DLP models uses the Osram Rapcur F9030A module to control the LEDs. The PF1500 uses what seems to be an LG in-house LED driver board and is MUCH simpler in design and as such what it can do with the LEDs. It cannot modulate luminance in real time nor do sequential color anywhere near as fast as the Vango can with it's LEDs and driver board. The Vango can do sequential color that a color wheel with a 18x speed could do (this is 3 times faster than best color wheels). The in-house design on the PF1500 doesn't have published specs, but because I often noticed color breakup artifacts I'm guess it's closer to a 6-8x color wheel in terms of sequential color speed. The Vango never showed a single sign of color breakup. We can then look at the optics on the Vango, they truly were some of the nicest optics I've ever had here. It has a huge oversized lens with excellent uniformity and pixel delineation capabilities. Due to the smaller .47" DMD you'd need a HUMONGOUS lens to be able to resolve the same amount of detail from the mirrors that you get with a bigger DMD. It makes sense right? You don't need to focus as much to see bigger mirrors. Overall a much naturally sharp looking image. The LG simply doesn't have it in it's budget for the kind of lens quality it would need to compete with the Vango. On/off contrast was noticeably higher on the Vango and so was ANSI contrast (thanks to it's stellar lens). Video processing was also quite nice on the Vango, buts that's something you expect to see on a unit costing this much. The one huge issue in the LGs design I thought was it's issue with excessive light scatter in the lens. It would literally cast a halo around the projected image. Unfortunately I confirmed this seems to be an inherent issue with design of this unit. Some members have used some black flock material to catch some of the stray light:

My suggestion would be to look into a used Runco Q750i. In my opinion a better overall projector than the Vango due to it's relatively excellent dynamic contrast system and similar hardware features (same LEDs and driver module, same DLP DMD and similar lens quality). They've been going for very cheap on the used market, around $1500, lately. I just personally think the PF1500 is a huge backwards step if one is coming from the Vango. I also got to compare the PF1500 to the Runco Q750i a while back. Same opinion; the Runco is in a different league.

Thanks, Seegs, you have broken open more different Projectors than anyone I know. The Vango still soldiers on with an occasional reboot. I have an input board and a video board. If if fails completely, I will try these. The suggestion of a used Runco is something I could pursue now that I am living down in the land of cheap freight.

Even if the factory could get parts, I am not sure I would go that way if a Runco such as that was available. The workmanship on my last repair was very poor with loose connectors and a screw left loose in the case just lying in wait to short something out.

One of things that drew me to the Vango was the .95 chip. I was impressed with the optics when I got it. (I am a pro photographer) I looked at the Runco before I bought the Vango and liked it as well but not the price.

I have been thinking of playing around with the color box. Tom Bond told me that it is very good.

K
post #914 of 960 Old 06-11-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:

Kevin
Sorry to hear about it Kevin. I also get the same issue on my unit randomly. "Like snow" if you mean the whole screen getting covered by white dots similar to the analogue no signal screen. This happens every once in a while when viewing a video but it only comes in the middle of a viewing and stays for about 5 to 10 seconds and then it goes away and returns to the regular video. Luckily I don't have to restart the unit. I had even mentioned this to Tom in one of my emails a couple of years ago before I had sent it for repairs. It still happens occasionally but the frequency has gone down. Try reseating all the boards properly. I think that's what brought the frequency of the snow down to almost rare for me.

On a separate note if anyone is Scrapping their Vango I would be interested in parts for my unit.

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 06-11-2016 at 10:14 AM.
post #915 of 960 Old 06-11-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear about it Kevin. I also get the same issue on my unit randomly. "Like snow" if you mean the whole screen getting covered by white dots similar to the analogue no signal screen. This happens every once in a while when viewing a video but it only comes in the middle of a viewing and stays for about 5 to 10 seconds and then it goes away and returns to the regular video. Luckily I don't have to restart the unit. I had even mentioned this to Tom in one of my emails a couple of years ago before I had sent it for repairs. It still happens occasionally but the frequency has gone down. Try reseating all the boards properly. I think that's what brought the frequency of the snow down to almost rare for me.

On a separate note if anyone is Scrapping their Vango I would be interested in parts for my unit.

Thanks for the note. It is somewhat comforting to know that is not just me. The "snow" did not go away on mine and when I restarted without unplugging, the projector shut off in less than a minute. The menu was available for shutdown even with the snow. I am leaning towards it being the input board or the connector that goes to the video card. Tom once told me that this connection could be problematic. This was the first time for snow but I have had the projector shut down once or twice over the past few months. Each time, a cold reboot brought it back. I have not had to crack the case again.

I do have spare input and video boards due to misdiagnosis from the factory on my past problem. No refund even though they made the trip to Taiwan. I think they broke my projector during a move. They "graciously" fixed something with the lens even though 'it may have happened in shipping.' With how quickly they offered, I think they were saving face.

During the whole process, Tom Bond did pretty much everything he could. From my standpoint, they factory support and workmanship was poor. This experience taught me a lot about the process when someone has something built by another company. It is a wonder that we get support on many of the products we buy given that so much of manufacturing is now contracted out. The brand you see is not the brand that made it.

Kevin
post #916 of 960 Old 06-11-2016, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As I said earlier, take a look at the LG. Seeqs is right in that it doesn't measure up to the Vango or The 750i but it works and works. It cost $1,000 and they cost $10,000 and $10,000+. They're 5 year old technology, the LG year and a half. I see no color artifacts as Seeqs says and the processor boards would naturally be smaller and simpler. In three and a half years technology moves quickly and a long way. I've also read the threads on the two big hitters. They are noisy. The LG only in maximum light mode to some who have sensitive ears. The LG has 20 pt. white balance adjustment and a CMS for tuning. It's plenty bright in a light controlled room. In mine it looks best at the lowest brightness setting. It puts out very little heat. It has a great Netflix streaming app that looks better than when I run it off of an external source. Did I say it has AC wireless for Netflix.

Weakness? The lens is plastic and the focus is delicate. But it doesn't change over time like many inexpensive projectors. And the zoom has a short range, like around 15"s for 100" screen.

Buy one on Amazon and return it if it doesn't satisfy you.

Jack
post #917 of 960 Old 06-11-2016, 04:56 PM

Newer does not mean better. I'm not trying to knock the PF1500. For it's asking price for a new unit, you get a lot of value packed into your purchase. I'm simply saying, and no offense, the image looks like a bad joke when you compare it to the Vango and other higher end LED DLP units. Literally evert component inside these machines is a big step up in quality (yes, even the older video processing solution is higher quality) and the sum of those parts makes the cumulative image quality you see on screen that much better. Personally, if one is leaving the Vango, the PF1500 is a big step back.

Last edited by Seegs108; 06-11-2016 at 05:01 PM.
post #918 of 960 Old 06-12-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Newer does not mean better. I'm not trying to knock the PF1500. For it's asking price for a new unit, you get a lot of value packed into your purchase. I'm simply saying, and no offense, the image looks like a bad joke when you compare it to the Vango and other higher end LED DLP units. Literally evert component inside these machines is a big step up in quality (yes, even the older video processing solution is higher quality) and the sum of those parts makes the cumulative image quality you see on screen that much better. Personally, if one is leaving the Vango, the PF1500 is a big step back.
Most anyone on these AVS video threads would trade off a bit of quality of the image for one you could trust. What good does it do to watch a better picture if you can't trust the projector that's showing it. Just ask all the early JVC buyers who couldn't trust the bulbs in their projectors. Just ask all of the Sony owners who are scared their sxrd panels are going to develop the product life problem.

Jack
post #919 of 960 Old 06-12-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Most anyone on these AVS video threads would trade off a bit of quality of the image for one you could trust. What good does it do to watch a better picture if you can't trust the projector that's showing it. Just ask all the early JVC buyers who couldn't trust the bulbs in their projectors. Just ask all of the Sony owners who are scared their sxrd panels are going to develop the product life problem.
In this hobby, everything is a compromise. Do I wish my Vango was more reliable? Yes. Ultimately, do I regret the purchase. No. Then again, I am a pro photographer and a electronics geek. The image quality matters more to me even though equipment problems can spawn strong language to spew from my lips. (and keyboard)

Also, the chip size of the LG would worry me as well. I had not seen reference of the .47" chip size for home theater before this. If it were a .65 with a better lens then I might not worry as much. The Vango sports a .95 chip. That is one of the things that attracted me initially. With my background, I know that all pixels are not equal and that is before we get into the lens and processing. As to processing, I own a Lumagen box and a the box from EE that came with my projector (Tom Bond has told me that it is a very good processor) so I might have a leg up on weak color processing but could not over come a poor lens.

For a new projector, the LG does look pretty interesting from a price/performance standpoint but for my interests, I think I would look to the used market especially if the Runco could be had for a couple of grand or less.

Would I recommend that a friend who wanted only a new projector and had little in the way of technical expertise consider this projector? Probably yes.

In my photo world, I would make the analogy like this: Would I prefer my older D800 with its FX chip and 2.8 series glass to a new point and shoot (or even micro 4/3s) camera with a built in or kit lens. I would pick the D800 every time. Yes, it is more complex and some might consider finicky but, for my purpose, the D800 or even a D3x.

Were there times in my saga did I regret the purchase? Yes.

What would I trade my Vango for? The similar Runco or the competing Sim 2 but at the time, they were much more expensive so I made the decision to go with the Vango. In context, I had a Dwin before so boutique companies were in my wheelhouse. I had been left high and dry once before but liked what the Dwin and then the Vango offered in price/performance.

Do I think I got the lemon of the bunch? Yes. Others have had flawless operation. Having had the projector open many times, I think the connector design could be better and the repair workmanship from the OEM is poor.

Would I recommend Mr Tom Bond and the folks at Entertainment Experience. Yes, without question.

Would I recommend the OEM of the Vango? Not so much. Then again, they have restructured and are basically not the company that produced these projectors.

Can I make the call for any one else? No, of course not but this would be my call if I had to make it today. Tomorrow? Who knows what the future brings?

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks to everyone who frequents AVS Forum. You each bring perspectives, expertise and experience that I do not have. These make my choices, hopefully, a little more informed.

Kevin

Last edited by PhotoKevin; 06-12-2016 at 02:39 PM.
post #920 of 960 Old 06-12-2016, 02:39 PM

All good points Kevin. The PF1500 cannot produce the kind of image sharpness that the Vango and Runco can produce. The lens quality and the DMD size all contribute to this. Single pixel text is a good visual indication of the kind of "resolution" one can expect coming from a projector. Here's a photo I snapped of the PF1500 when I had it here. It's the best focus I could achieve with the unit:

(Taken with my Canon Rebel t3i while on a tripod and a decent canon lens)

And this is the kind of image sharpness one can expect from the Runco (and Vango, but the image is from the Runco's optics):

Again, the price difference of these units really does show itself in these images. This isn't to knock down the LG. For it's price it packs in a lot of value. My only point here is that overall image quality is definitely a big step back in my opinion. There still isn't a single $1000 or less single chip DLP unit that trumps the older expensive single chip 1080p projectors (Marantz VP-xxx units, Sharp XV-Z20000, Samsung SP-Axxx units, Planar PD-81xx units, ect) I wouldn't trade a newer sub $1000 DLP for any of these units as they still haven't surpassed the image quality of these older ones. I've had them all here. I've personally seen it. They're just not there yet. Unfortunately, most of the time with these new cheap units, the lens quality is poor and contrast performance still can't beat these older units. That's the same case here with the PF1500.

Last edited by Seegs108; 06-12-2016 at 02:48 PM.
post #921 of 960 Old 06-12-2016, 03:00 PM

Hope that I am not forced into the decision position any time soon.

K
post #922 of 960 Old 06-12-2016, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All good points Kevin. The PF1500 cannot produce the kind of image sharpness that the Vango and Runco can produce. The lens quality and the DMD size all contribute to this. Single pixel text is a good visual indication of the kind of "resolution" one can expect coming from a projector. Here's a photo I snapped of the PF1500 when I had it here. It's the best focus I could achieve with the unit:

(Taken with my Canon Rebel t3i while on a tripod and a decent canon lens)

And this is the kind of image sharpness one can expect from the Runco (and Vango, but the image is from the Runco's optics):

Again, the price difference of these units really does show itself in these images. This isn't to knock down the LG. For it's price it packs in a lot of value. My only point here is that overall image quality is definitely a big step back in my opinion. There still isn't a single $1000 or less single chip DLP unit that trumps the older expensive single chip 1080p projectors (Marantz VP-xxx units, Sharp XV-Z20000, Samsung SP-Axxx units, Planar PD-81xx units, ect) I wouldn't trade a newer sub $1000 DLP for any of these units as they still haven't surpassed the image quality of these older ones. I've had them all here. I've personally seen it. They're just not there yet. Unfortunately, most of the time with these new cheap units, the lens quality is poor and contrast performance still can't beat these older units. That's the same case here with the PF1500.
I have a SharpVision 20000 and the LG has as good a picture as the Sharp does so the Sharp sits in the closet. The LG is quieter and doesn't produce as much heat. If you want a high quality replacement projector I'll gladly sell you that one, the Sharp. It has a practically new bulb in it and a new bulb spare in a box.

And those photos are useless to compare. One is at an angle and the other is not 1080P.

Jack
post #923 of 960 Old 06-12-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I have a SharpVision 20000 and the LG has as good a picture as the Sharp does so the Sharp sits in the closet. The LG is quieter and doesn't produce as much heat. If you want a high quality replacement projector I'll gladly sell you that one, the Sharp. It has a practically new bulb in it and a new bulb spare in a box.

And those photos are useless to compare. One is at an angle and the other is not 1080P.
I don't know if I'd "buy it" but I'd gladly take it off your hands and pay to have it shipped to me if it's just sitting in your closet. The photo may be at an angle, but it's clearly evident the PF1500 cannot delineate pixels anywhere near as well as the Runco's lens. The mirrors on the PF1500 are literally half the size of the mirrors on the Runco (.95" vs .47"). The PF1500 would need a lens with a resolving power twice as good as the Runco to be able to achieve the same level of pixel delineation. That isn't going to happen at the PF1500's price point. That lens would cost more than a new PF1500.

Last edited by Seegs108; 06-12-2016 at 05:10 PM.
post #924 of 960 Old 06-12-2016, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know if I'd "buy it" but I'd gladly take it off your hands and pay to have it shipped to me if it's just sitting in your closet. The photo may be at an angle, but it's clearly evident the PF1500 cannot delineate pixels anywhere near as well as the Runco's lens. The mirrors on the PF1500 are literally half the size of the mirrors on the Runco (.95" vs .47"). The PF1500 would need a lens with a resolving power twice as good as the Runco to be able to achieve the same level of pixel delineation. That isn't going to happen at the PF1500's price point. That lens would cost more than a new PF1500.
Everything has its price. I notice there is only one on eBay and it is $5,000. Mine is less than four figures.

Jack

Last edited by JackB; 06-12-2016 at 05:25 PM.
post #925 of 960 Old 06-24-2016, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the note. It is somewhat comforting to know that is not just me. The "snow" did not go away on mine and when I restarted without unplugging, the projector shut off in less than a minute. The menu was available for shutdown even with the snow. I am leaning towards it being the input board or the connector that goes to the video card. Tom once told me that this connection could be problematic. This was the first time for snow but I have had the projector shut down once or twice over the past few months. Each time, a cold reboot brought it back. I have not had to crack the case again.

I do have spare input and video boards due to misdiagnosis from the factory on my past problem. No refund even though they made the trip to Taiwan. I think they broke my projector during a move. They "graciously" fixed something with the lens even though 'it may have happened in shipping.' With how quickly they offered, I think they were saving face.

During the whole process, Tom Bond did pretty much everything he could. From my standpoint, they factory support and workmanship was poor. This experience taught me a lot about the process when someone has something built by another company. It is a wonder that we get support on many of the products we buy given that so much of manufacturing is now contracted out. The brand you see is not the brand that made it.

Kevin
Just Curious Kevin, do you have your Vango Inverted/Ceiling Mounted or Upright/Shelf Mounted?

I think an Inverted mount could cause some contact issues for the boards. I have not had the "Analogue Snow" issue since the last time I Uninstalled and Re-installed all the boards a month and a half ago and my Vango is Upright/Shelf Mounted. It definitely was a loose connection issue.

Specially make sure you check the screw which secures the I/O board and the Video Board which is located at the rear of the Vango (Refer to Service Manual). It is the only horizontally oriented screw for the boards which i think is intended for securing the I/O and Video board connector. Try installing the Vango for a few days in an Upright Position after securing all Boards, Screws and connectors and see what happens. It's worth a shot.

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 06-24-2016 at 12:54 AM.
post #926 of 960 Old 06-25-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Just Curious Kevin, do you have your Vango Inverted/Ceiling Mounted or Upright/Shelf Mounted?

I think an Inverted mount could cause some contact issues for the boards. I have not had the "Analogue Snow" issue since the last time I Uninstalled and Re-installed all the boards a month and a half ago and my Vango is Upright/Shelf Mounted. It definitely was a loose connection issue.

Specially make sure you check the screw which secures the I/O board and the Video Board which is located at the rear of the Vango (Refer to Service Manual). It is the only horizontally oriented screw for the boards which i think is intended for securing the I/O and Video board connector. Try installing the Vango for a few days in an Upright Position after securing all Boards, Screws and connectors and see what happens. It's worth a shot.
Currently it is upright. I had it inverted for all the time we were in Anchorage. Since about late November, it has been on a projector stand since I can't make major holes in the walls in this rental house.

I did check all the screws when last I had it open. I to to open it up after we moved (Oct) since the "diligent" technician at the factory dropped a screw in the projector and did not retrieve it. He just left the hole open. Also, he did not attach a connector properly in the section below the video board. That lead to a problem right after it returned from the factory.

I have not had any problem since the one noted above. If it shows up again, I will crack the case and see if everything is still tight. Tom suggested loctite on the screws and I did not put any.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kevin
post #927 of 960 Old 07-18-2016, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
All Vango Owners,

I'm curious if there are any owners of the Vango who's projector is totally broken beyond repair. I have a Christie Matrix Stim LED Projector which uses the Phlatlight P-120 LEDs and it throws the most beautiful image I've ever seen on my screen. Since this projector was created for Simulation application, it's very loud and I'm looking for ways to quiet it down. Because of the design of the case and how air flow is handled, it would be hard build a hush box for it.

Now to my question, do any of you Vango owner have a for parts only Vango projector which you would let go for a reasonable price, I would like to try and take the water cooling system from the Vango and see if I can implement it into my light engine module. The Christie Matrix STIM is a modular design with a light engine which can be easily separated from the projection module and I happen to have two light modules so I have one for experimenting with.

So in the name of DIY Science and to help out a fellow AVS'er, if anyone has a broken one they can let go cheap or even just sale me the water cooling system, please PM or if you know if the gentlemen name Tom which people refer to in this thread is still active, maybe I can contact him to see if he has any busted units.

I've already taken the light engine apart and the mounting/alignment for the PT-120 LED is pretty straight forward and simple. The light module has two fans that blow through the cooling fins. I believe the Vango and Matrix STIM share some common LED components.

Thank you for reading

Andre

Last edited by Fraza; 07-18-2016 at 05:09 PM.
post #928 of 960 Old 07-18-2016, 05:25 PM

For what it's worth I know there is some variation is PT-120s in how their cooled. The ChiLin OEM, which is in used in the Vango, is water cooled. The Delta OEM design that uses the PT-120s is air cooled. So depending on how the Christie is set up you may need the Delta design for parts.
post #929 of 960 Old 07-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Seeg108, thank you for your post, I've contacted Luminus Devices concerning the PT-120's in the Christie Matrix STIM but they will not provide any kind of information concerning the specs of the actual LEDs in the projector due to proprietary restriction on LED specs used in various manufacture LED projectors which utilize the PT-120 and there is no specific number on the LED chip other than the serial number. This has to be strictly a trial by error project. I was able to obtain the second light module from Ebay for a very cheap price and it works so I can take a chance with it.

I've attached some pic of the Light Module torn down, the space is limited but I think I either do an internal or external mount of a liquid cooling solution, just need a Liquid Cooling solution which has three cooling small cooling blocks. All the ones I've researched on the internet are for either CPUs or GPUs and come with one cooling block.

The Matrix Stim is also spec'ed at 600 Lumens and mine has a manufacture date of 2010 which about the same design era as allot of the other 1st gen LED projectors. I know it uses the OSRAM Driver board 9030 which was also used in allot of other High End LED projectors of the same time period.

I hope the pics uploaded successfully, I don't know how to insert them straight into the post.

Thanks

Andre

Quote:
For what it's worth I know there is some variation is PT-120s in how their cooled. The ChiLin OEM, which is in used in the Vango, is water cooled. The Delta OEM design that uses the PT-120s is air cooled. So depending on how the Christie is set up you may need the Delta design for parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Red LED Mount.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	1553537   Click image for larger version

Name:	PT-120 LED with cooling Fins.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	1553561   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Optical Mouting Point .jpg
Views:	19
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	1553569   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christie LED Light Module.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	1553577   Click image for larger version

Name:	Light Module Diagram.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1553601  

post #930 of 960 Old 07-19-2016, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 48
The Vango is just about the loudest home use projector I've ever owned. My wife cannot hear it (lucky her) and I suspect a lot of other people cannot hear it either. It makes a high pitch whine that sometimes drives me crazy. Its cooling system is not intended to be quiet, but to cool efficiently.

I mention this because you might end up worse off that you started. Instead of trying to salvage a Vango's cooling, I'd suggest getting in touch with folks who are expert at PC water cooling (such as Koolance) who may be able to come up with a better solution.

Also, I'd reconsider a hush box. My idea was to try to create a huge hush box for the Vango (or as my wife called it a projector room), but that got nixed. Instead, I use a flat screen for casual viewing and the Vango for movies. Rear projection is another thing I was considering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page