TruVue Vango - Owner's Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #931 of 960 Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
All Vango Owners,

I'm curious if there are any owners of the Vango who's projector is totally broken beyond repair. I have a Christie Matrix Stim LED Projector which uses the Phlatlight P-120 LEDs and it throws the most beautiful image I've ever seen on my screen. Since this projector was created for Simulation application, it's very loud and I'm looking for ways to quiet it down. Because of the design of the case and how air flow is handled, it would be hard build a hush box for it.

Now to my question, do any of you Vango owner have a for parts only Vango projector which you would let go for a reasonable price, I would like to try and take the water cooling system from the Vango and see if I can implement it into my light engine module. The Christie Matrix STIM is a modular design with a light engine which can be easily separated from the projection module and I happen to have two light modules so I have one for experimenting with.

So in the name of DIY Science and to help out a fellow AVS'er, if anyone has a broken one they can let go cheap or even just sale me the water cooling system, please PM or if you know if the gentlemen name Tom which people refer to in this thread is still active, maybe I can contact him to see if he has any busted units.

I've already taken the light engine apart and the mounting/alignment for the PT-120 LED is pretty straight forward and simple. The light module has two fans that blow through the cooling fins. I believe the Vango and Matrix STIM share some common LED components.

Thank you for reading

Andre
Hope you find what you are seeking. I too have been looking for spare parts and have posted regarding the same about a month ago. In case you do find someone please do inform me too.

I am seeking the short throw lens and the folding mirror in the light path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 960 Old 07-19-2016, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hyrax,

Thanks for the information concerning the noise level of the Vango. I thought it would be quieter because of the liquid cooling. After spending the night researching liquid cooling for projectors, I think you are right in that it will probably be cheaper and allot less hassle to put together a hush box. It just that I'm so horrible when it comes to building things but one must try because I really want to get this PJ on the ceiling.

Andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
The Vango is just about the loudest home use projector I've ever owned. My wife cannot hear it (lucky her) and I suspect a lot of other people cannot hear it either. It makes a high pitch whine that sometimes drives me crazy. Its cooling system is not intended to be quiet, but to cool efficiently.

I mention this because you might end up worse off that you started. Instead of trying to salvage a Vango's cooling, I'd suggest getting in touch with folks who are expert at PC water cooling (such as Koolance) who may be able to come up with a better solution.

Also, I'd reconsider a hush box. My idea was to try to create a huge hush box for the Vango (or as my wife called it a projector room), but that got nixed. Instead, I use a flat screen for casual viewing and the Vango for movies. Rear projection is another thing I was considering.
post #933 of 960 Old 07-19-2016, 06:42 PM

I think for this one, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and build a hush box. Because the design of this projector and how the airflow is set up, it will be a little more challenging but I think allot less hassle then trying to implement liquid cooling.

Good luck on your parts hunt and if you ever see a Christie Matrix Stim on Ebay for cheap I would jump on it as long as it has the right lens, it makes a world class picture, even on my 120" diagonal acoustic screen.

Andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoharshetty9 View Post
Hope you find what you are seeking. I too have been looking for spare parts and have posted regarding the same about a month ago. In case you do find someone please do inform me too.

I am seeking the short throw lens and the folding mirror in the light path.

post #934 of 960 Old 09-01-2016, 01:17 AM

I may have access to the mico 50 video board and apparently can be used in the Vango. Was wondering if that video board is different/better than the one in the Vango. Anyone out there have any idea?

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 09-01-2016 at 02:00 AM.
post #935 of 960 Old 09-02-2016, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Out of my depth on that one.

Kevin
post #936 of 960 Old 12-08-2016, 08:51 PM

4K Upgrade

Can the Vango be upgraded to 4K HDR/DolbyVision using the DIY route? DIY upgrade DLP chip and video board?
post #937 of 960 Old 12-08-2016, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2582
Quote:
Can the Vango be upgraded to 4K HDR/DolbyVision using the DIY route? DIY upgrade DLP chip and video board?
No, definitely not. You'd literally need to build an entirely new projector from the ground up. The DLP DMD requires a different controller, entirely new video processing, a different power supply (as would the video processing and control board) and the light path and relay optics would need to be different due to the DMD being a different size and possibly due to a difference in angle the light needs to hit the new DMD. In the end the only thing you'd end up keeping is the lens. And if that's the case why not just buy one of the cheaper 4K DLP units and rig something up so you can reuse the lens from the Vango?
post #938 of 960 Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
No, definitely not. You'd literally need to build an entirely new projector from the ground up. The DLP DMD requires a different controller, entirely new video processing, a different power supply (as would the video processing and control board) and the light path and relay optics would need to be different due to the DMD being a different size and possibly due to a difference in angle the light needs to hit the new DMD. In the end the only thing you'd end up keeping is the lens. And if that's the case why not just buy one of the cheaper 4K DLP units and rig something up so you can reuse the lens from the Vango?
Thanks Seegs for your informative reply.

Going by your information seems almost impossible to change the DMD and the parts directly related to the DMD, the Light Engine and Power Supply.

How about retaining everything and just DIY Replace/Upgrade the video board to Accept/Incorporate HDR-10/Dolby vision processing and maybe (but not necessary) 4K>2K? The Vango currently is showing only about 5500 hours of usage so I guess the LEDs have a lot of lifespan left.
post #939 of 960 Old 12-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Got a call from the owner of the Vango I used to own. Apparently the projector is not working. Is anyone still supporting this projector? I believe there was a "Tom" helping out.

Regards,
John
post #940 of 960 Old 12-17-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post
Got a call from the owner of the Vango I used to own. Apparently the projector is not working. Is anyone still supporting this projector? I believe there was a "Tom" helping out.
Tom Bond from Entertainment Experience was the one. He was very cooperative. Try calling Entertainment experience and inform them of the issue. Just shot you a message. Check your PM.

Could you describe what the problem is?

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 12-17-2016 at 09:00 PM.
post #941 of 960 Old 12-17-2016, 10:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Mine stopped working a few years ago. Sent it to Tom Bond and he fixed it. If I recall he did two fairly simple things - cleaned out a fair amount of dust and reseated a video card. The way he described the projector made it sound a lot like what I do with my computers every spring. So (if EE cannot help) you might suggest to the new owner that he open it up and see if he can figure out how to do what Tom did for me.
post #942 of 960 Old 12-18-2016, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Mine stopped working a few years ago. Sent it to Tom Bond and he fixed it. If I recall he did two fairly simple things - cleaned out a fair amount of dust and reseated a video card. The way he described the projector made it sound a lot like what I do with my computers every spring. So (if EE cannot help) you might suggest to the new owner that he open it up and see if he can figure out how to do what Tom did for me.
Quote:
Tom Bond from Entertainment Experience was the one. He was very cooperative. Try calling Entertainment experience and inform them of the issue. Just shot you a message. Check your PM.

Could you describe what the problem is?
Thanks. Apparently the projector was inadvertently left on in the theater (cable tv) for 20 some hours. When the owner went downstairs the projector was off, flashing red light. Won't start up now.

Regards,
John
post #943 of 960 Old 12-18-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Thanks. Apparently the projector was inadvertently left on in the theater (cable tv) for 20 some hours. When the owner went downstairs the projector was off, flashing red light. Won't start up now.
I forget if mine had a flashing red light or not. Probably did. It sounds as though it mat have overheated and shut down. I assume that the projector has been unplugged for a fairly long time and then tried to boot again.

It is possible that when everything cooled down, the video card or something else lost perfect contact. Cleaning out the dust and reseating the cards might help (only if EE cannot help). I've never opened the box, so I have no idea how difficult this might be. Tom did make it sound not much more difficult than working on a computer, but that is a relative evaluation. I'd never let my brother touch the inside of a computer.
post #944 of 960 Old 12-18-2016, 12:15 PM

The top most card, when you open the case, is problematic on this projector. It can work its way loose especially if it has been serviced and loctite not put on the screws. Tom also provided me with different size strips to put near the connectors. Tom is the one that told me that this connection can cause problems.

I would check there first

The case is not that difficult to open. One screw on the top board can be a pain if you don't remove the case the way the manual says. I don't and use an angle screwdriver for that screw. I find that easier than removing the whole case. PM me with your email and I can send you the service manual. The manual has a list of codes that the LEDs flash. (not here that often anymore but will check back over the next few days)

Seegs108 is another expert on this unit. I am quickly out of my depth but can clean, change the boards and check the connections.

Kevin

Last edited by PhotoKevin; 12-18-2016 at 12:21 PM.
post #945 of 960 Old 12-18-2016, 01:32 PM

If the led is solid (not flashing) red, the manual says over temperature.

I don't see a code for flashing red, unless the blue is flashing as well.

Last edited by PhotoKevin; 12-18-2016 at 02:03 PM.
post #946 of 960 Old 12-19-2016, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoKevin View Post
If the led is solid (not flashing) red, the manual says over temperature.

I don't see a code for flashing red, unless the blue is flashing as well.
Thanks Kevin, do you have a pdf of the manual you could send?

Regards,
John
post #947 of 960 Old 12-19-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks Kevin, do you have a pdf of the manual you could send?
Send me your email via private message so I can attach it.

K
post #948 of 960 Old 12-19-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Send me your email via private message so I can attach it.

K
Sent
post #949 of 960 Old 12-19-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Flashing red light is over temperature. The unit should turn on after cooling for a while. What happens when you try to turn on the Vango now? Did you try contacting Tom on the email address I sent you?

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 12-19-2016 at 11:49 AM.
post #950 of 960 Old 12-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
The top most card, when you open the case, is problematic on this projector. It can work its way loose especially if it has been serviced and loctite not put on the screws. Tom also provided me with different size strips to put near the connectors. Tom is the one that told me that this connection can cause problems.

I would check there first

The case is not that difficult to open. One screw on the top board can be a pain if you don't remove the case the way the manual says. I don't and use an angle screwdriver for that screw. I find that easier than removing the whole case. PM me with your email and I can send you the service manual. The manual has a list of codes that the LEDs flash. (not here that often anymore but will check back over the next few days)

Seegs108 is another expert on this unit. I am quickly out of my depth but can clean, change the boards and check the connections.

Kevin
Hi there Kevin. Been a while. Thanks again for the calibration settings that you sent me back then. Made a world of a difference in the image. How is your unit doing?
post #951 of 960 Old 12-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Flashing red light is over temperature. The unit should turn on after cooling for a while. What happens when you try to turn on the Vango now? Did you try contacting Tom on the email address I sent you?
I don't own the projector anymore. I'm trying to help out the new owner via phone and email. Currently the projector is in the hands of an A/V install company who the new owner uses. They have no experience with the Vango. I have provided the contact number and manual.

I'm not sure on current error codes, but I do believe it is still not powering up. Hopefully, they can troubleshoot and narrow down the problem.

Regards,
John
post #952 of 960 Old 12-19-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Hi there Kevin. Been a while. Thanks again for the calibration settings that you sent me back then. Made a world of a difference in the image. How is your unit doing?
You are most welcome. So many folks here have helped me out. I try to do what I can he pay back the system.

My Vango is stable. It still has a magenta shift for just a second as it first comes up but goes away. I blame HDCP sync as sometimes I have to restart the projector to get my signal. If it ever gets worse, I will put in the other Input card I have to see if it helps. Every once and a while, I have to cold boot it but outside of those tiny issues, it has been good.

I hope you are having a good holiday season.

K
post #953 of 960 Old 12-19-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
You are most welcome. So many folks here have helped me out. I try to do what I can he pay back the system.

My Vango is stable. It still has a magenta shift for just a second as it first comes up but goes away. I blame HDCP sync as sometimes I have to restart the projector to get my signal. If it ever gets worse, I will put in the other Input card I have to see if it helps. Every once and a while, I have to cold boot it but outside of those tiny issues, it has been good.

I hope you are having a good holiday season.

K
Could it be something to do with the firmware? Maybe needs reinstallation after you changed the boards.

Happy holidays to you too.
post #954 of 960 Old 12-20-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Could it be something to do with the firmware? Maybe needs reinstallation after you changed the boards.

Happy holidays to you too.
It has been this way since returning from the "expert repair" at the factory in Taiwan. One would think that they would update firmware. Then again, one would think that they could put all the connectors together and not leave a loose screw floating around in the projector. Those did not happen either.

Kevin
post #955 of 960 Old 12-21-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
It has been this way since returning from the "expert repair" at the factory in Taiwan. One would think that they would update firmware. Then again, one would think that they could put all the connectors together and not leave a loose screw floating around in the projector. Those did not happen either.

Kevin
There is a possibility of the cause of the magenta/reddish shift which I also used to have earlier. There is a light sensor that is placed behind the front surface mirror in the light path which detects the brightness/colour of the light path. This sensor and front surface mirror are located behind the projector lens, so you have to dismantle the lens to access this area.

If the front surface coating of the mirror is slightly worn out at the area where the sensor is located, then the sensor reads too much light/brightness and the Vango tries to adjust the light output/colours. This could possibly be the reason. It was for me and that is why I was seeking an new mirror. I eventually had to stick a piece of white paper tape on the back of the front surface mirror covering the area exposed to the light sensor and colour it with a blue marker pen. That fixed my problem. I have a service manual showing the location to access the mirror which I could email you if you wish. I already have your email address.

There is also a reference to this sensor on the link below for the Mico 50. Essentially the same light engine.

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek...2Mico_Test.htm
post #956 of 960 Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
There is a possibility of the cause of the magenta/reddish shift which I also used to have earlier. There is a light sensor that is placed behind the front surface mirror in the light path which detects the brightness/colour of the light path. This sensor and front surface mirror are located behind the projector lens, so you have to dismantle the lens to access this area.

If the front surface coating of the mirror is slightly worn out at the area where the sensor is located, then the sensor reads too much light/brightness and the Vango tries to adjust the light output/colours. This could possibly be the reason. It was for me and that is why I was seeking an new mirror. I eventually had to stick a piece of white paper tape on the back of the front surface mirror covering the area exposed to the light sensor and colour it with a blue marker pen. That fixed my problem. I have a service manual showing the location to access the mirror which I could email you if you wish. I already have your email address.

There is also a reference to this sensor on the link below for the Mico 50. Essentially the same light engine.

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek...2Mico_Test.htm
Thank you. I would be grateful for any documentation you have. I did not know that there was another service manual.

Kevin
post #957 of 960 Old 12-22-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Thank you. I would be grateful for any documentation you have. I did not know that there was another service manual.

Kevin
Email sent.
post #958 of 960 Old 12-23-2016, 07:27 AM

All,

I don't mean to hijack the Vango Owners thread but we seem to be the only ones still interest in .95 DLP LED projectors since everyone else is chasing JVC but like allot of you, I use my projector more like a computer and I need the longevity of LED.

Just for some holiday fun, please take a look at this Ebay add where the seller has a DPI XG-500 3 Chip DLP projector for sale which has been modded with a HPLED light source. This is interesting to me because I've often wondered if you could replace the lamp in a 3 chip DLP projector and what would the benefit be of adding the LED color spectrum and increase brightness of a more powerful LED light source to a 3 chipper. How would this affect the contrast of the projector?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Proj.../182397509762?

Here is more info on the LED light source being used:

http://www.litessrl.com/?page_id=148

Any thoughts on how hard a converse like this would be and remember this is just for some holiday fun so kick in your opinions.

Happy Holidays

Andre
post #959 of 960 Old 01-05-2017, 10:06 PM

firmware

How do I get the firmware for the Vango just in case in the future I need it. Does anyone have a copy of it and could PM me regarding the same or is there anywhere that I can download it from? I remember someone mentioning installing the Mico 50 firmware in the Vango as an experiment and then re-installing the Vango firmware back.
post #960 of 960 Old 06-03-2017, 11:03 PM

Hi there,

There was some dust at the back of the lens. In an attempt to dismantle and clean it with a microfiber cloth I think I may have eroded the coating (I think Anti-Reflection) on it and now the contrast has taken a hit. The lens now looks clean but it has lost the violet/purple layer that was visible on it which disappeared on the slightest touch. Is there a way to reapply the coating?

Last edited by manoharshetty9; 06-04-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page