Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #151 of 835 Old 01-22-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Vince. I have a fix for you. Paint the outside of the cap black. Then even you will be able to tell from the picture or lack of one on the screen that you left it on. Actually, I see no reason for taking the cap of and on once the projector is mounted. The only thing the cap protects is the outside glass surface of the lens and its pretty hard to damage that if the machine is hung.

I just finished watching the Wizards beat the Celtics and clearly the machine was screwed up, it showed the Wizard's beating my Celtics. clearly some setting must have been off.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 835 Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mark,
The new firmware good? Where can I download it?

Thanks...
post #153 of 835 Old 01-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Vince. I have a fix for you. Paint the outside of the cap black. Then even you will be able to tell from the picture or lack of one on the screen that you left it on. Actually, I see no reason for taking the cap of and on once the projector is mounted. The only thing the cap protects is the outside glass surface of the lens and its pretty hard to damage that if the machine is hung.

I just finished watching the Wizards beat the Celtics and clearly the machine was screwed up, it showed the Wizard's beating my Celtics. clearly some setting must have been off.

I was thinking about a permanent marker label on the clear cap "Take the cap off dummy." However, if we had no one in the audience by that name, we would have to cancel the showing. Life is a struggle.

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP
post #154 of 835 Old 01-25-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I view ALL of my movies with the cap ON. With it off, I was a nervous wreck, checking color balance, depth of contrast, video proc. screw ups, etc. With the cap on, I am now completely relaxed when viewing anything.
post #155 of 835 Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Liked: 12
Hi guys,

I've some doubts about THIS

Thank you so much for some feedback.

actarus
post #156 of 835 Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Actarus,

If I understand you, and your English is not the limiting factor, then I think the EE processor has multiple uses.

First, the most prevalent use might be to 'correct' or re-saturate colors if the LEDs are driven harder and their color components change as a result. Not all scenarios would require additional brightness and this function of the processor allows a customization. Actually, the same logic applies to lamps for non-LED projectors.

Implicit in this reasoning is that the input is encoded to a known and consistent standard. If the input varies, as you say based on the whims of the studio, then a standard 'correction' may or may not be an improvement. I think the design goal of the EE processor was to permit the end user to make these adjustments. The software and perhaps the hardware are rumored to be under revision. I am not aware of any way for consumer projectors to receive such information other that by noting pull-down cadences or frame rate or...

I have the processor but no software. So I am guessing at most of this. I acknowledge that and hope that the ensuing discussion will improve our common understanding. Have you posed this to EE directly?

Ciao

post #157 of 835 Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlubbers View Post

Actarus,

Implicit in this reasoning is that the input is encoded to a known and consistent standard. If the input varies, as you say based on the whims of the studio, then a standard 'correction' may or may not be an improvement. I think the design goal of the EE processor was to permit the end user to make these adjustments. Ciao

Therein lies the biggest problem I had with the EE processor. (At least the original version). The end result varied from film to film. I didn't like the results in all cases. I found myself wondering if the processor was infact restoring the picture to a standard, lost because of some of the issues talked about, or using adjustments based on what may look "better" to consumers. Also, some films are purposely shot in different tones,, etc., how does the EE processor deal with this. I don't think the EE processor was designed for a lot of end user adjustments based on what movie you're watching. I believe the software mentioned is a CM software for the EE box and most consumers probably wouldn't know what to do with it.

My apologies to Mr. Sullivan if I'm totally misunderstanding the technology or purpose.

Regards,
John

Regards,
John
post #158 of 835 Old 02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There are no user adjustments that would permit this. The user can select the EE max color mode vs the max brightness mode, but the only selections are for different room lighting conditions.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #159 of 835 Old 02-19-2011, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm buying a Vango and want to use my current Da-Lite HP screen. I got the screen long ago because my first projector, Sharp 9000, was a bit dim and it seems to have worked well for me ever since. However, I've calculated my screen brightness with the Vango will be approximately in the 32-38 Foot-Lamberts range. Is this going to be too bright to be comfortable to watch?
post #160 of 835 Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

EEColor got a little plug on TV. Click here!
post #161 of 835 Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Try it and see. At worst, you could use a ND filter (high quality) to cut down the brightness. BTW there is a pixel by pixel mode on the Vango.

Mark Haflich

post #162 of 835 Old 02-20-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Try it and see. At worst, you could use a ND filter (high quality) to cut down the brightness. BTW there is a pixel by pixel mode on the Vango.

If you go this route I'd highly recommend getting a decent ND2 filter (which cuts the brightness in half) with a coating such as a Hoya HMC glass filter. I played with ND filters a few years back and the cheap resin type caused terrible reflections which decimated the ANSI contrast. Even the Hoya will do this a little, though it may help to fit it at a slight angle so that any reflected light doesn't bounce back directly into the projector's lens.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #163 of 835 Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mark-
I've got this (perhaps silly) aversion about putting another piece of glass between the lens and my screen. However, it might be a short-term consideration before I can afford a larger, lower-gain screen.

Thanks for looking into the info about the pixel-by-pixel mode. I'm glad to hear that there is such a mode because the online user manual only lists 4:3, Letterbox, Anamorphic, and Panoramic.
post #164 of 835 Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I've calculated my screen brightness with the Vango will be approximately in the 32-38 Foot-Lamberts range.

Just curious, what kind of lumen output were you figuring for the Vango?

Regards,
John

Regards,
John
post #165 of 835 Old 02-20-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I do it with my Samsung SP-A900B. I used a top of the line ND2 filter.

Mark Haflich

post #166 of 835 Old 02-20-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post

Regards,
John

John after a few hundred hours on any lamp projector except 3 chip DLP the Vango or LED driven projectors remain brighter
post #167 of 835 Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I'm buying a Vango and want to use my current Da-Lite HP screen. I got the screen long ago because my first projector, Sharp 9000, was a bit dim and it seems to have worked well for me ever since. However, I've calculated my screen brightness with the Vango will be approximately in the 32-38 Foot-Lamberts range. Is this going to be too bright to be comfortable to watch?

Perhaps the question is whether you are using 728 output lumens in your calculation or something in the low 400's as described in post 129. I suspect this is what Dormie1360 is alluding to. I am using a Carada BW which is slightly above unity on a 128/2.35 screen and the Vango is close to perfect on brightness for ME. That last word is important. And as Alan says, I expect it to remain so. If I wanted more, I could bring the EE processor into play, or change the screen gain or reduce the screen size or use an anamorphic lens. Lots of options.

post #168 of 835 Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's why I said, try it and see. My Vango is plenty bright on my 110 inch 1.78 D screen which is suppoosed to be 1.3 gain but after 10 years is measuring 1.0 gain.

Mark Haflich

post #169 of 835 Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlubbers View Post
I suspect this is what Dormie1360 is alluding to.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. Regardless, when I initially installed the Vango I owned a SilverStar screen. I'm not sure what the real gain is on the SS compared to the HP, however coming from a CRT, which is fairly dim, I did not find the Vango "too" bright on the SS. (and I'm in a Bat Cave). Obviously a personal preference, but like Mark said, give it a try. I changed to a 1.3 gain screen, but that's not because of too much brightness or bad blacks, it was due to other issues the SS had.

I've been using the Vango since August. As Alan says, the picture is still PERFECT.

Regards,
John

Regards,
John
post #170 of 835 Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dormie1360 View Post

Regards,
John

John-
I was using 450 lumens for the low figure (32 ftl) and 540 for the high figure (38 ftl). I've got a fairly small screen (80" wide .... 92" diag). I'm perfectly happy "waiting and seeing", but I need to do something while I'm waiting...so why not worry about the projector being too bright!
post #171 of 835 Old 02-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Well, first you are going to love the projector. As far as what I was watching, I figure I was watching around 25 Ft/L with the SS. This was based on 430 Lumens on a 121" diagonal 16:9. For a gain I used 2.5 which I got from a magazine review. (SS says 6.0, but I don't think the gain is that high).

Let me know what you think when you get the projector.

Regards,
John

Regards,
John
post #172 of 835 Old 02-23-2011, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone in or near Minneapolis have one of these I could audition? My aging G70 is coming off the ceiling soon and this seems to be a viable option for me.
post #173 of 835 Old 02-23-2011, 05:12 AM
Knd

Liked: 11
Quote:

The Vango does not have a moveable iris or lamp or led settings other than normal or the EE max brightness mode.

So is it the general consensus that Jason's early review was using the EE max brightness when he reported the light output (~ 700 lumens)?
post #174 of 835 Old 02-23-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post

So is it the general consensus that Jason's early review was using the EE max brightness when he reported the light output (~ 700 lumens)?

I didn't think Jason has the EE box when he did this. ?
post #175 of 835 Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rosback View Post

Anyone in or near Minneapolis have one of these I could audition? My aging G70 is coming off the ceiling soon and this seems to be a viable option for me.

If you do have a chance to audition it, please post your observations especially with regards to low light scenes, black levels and shadow detail, especially if you had a chance to also view the JVC RS50.

I also had a G70 and finally went digital with the RS20, which produces a very satisfying picture with great black levels that don't leave me missing my old CRT, but the motion blur on horizontal pans has become distracting. The Vango I understand won't produce the blacks of the JVC, but many report the overall picture even on dark scenes can be as stunning as the JVCs.
post #176 of 835 Old 02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've been waffling between the Vango and the Sony ES90 for weeks now. If anyone in or near Portland has either and is willing to demo let me know.

Also, have any owners done a definitive lag test to determine how Vango plays with games? If I bought a Vango I would want to move the Xbox in my office over to the projector in the theater full time.
post #177 of 835 Old 02-23-2011, 01:46 PM

I briefly demoed the calibrated vango vs uncalibrated rs40. I felt like the shadow details were superior on the uncalibrated rs40. However, the difference were not that dramatic. Since neither projector is a light cannon, the differences were subtle. FWIW, I only got to view movies channels on FIOS, no bluray or other content.
post #178 of 835 Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I should have a Vango next week and will try playing Call of Duty on my PS3. What sort of test is definitive? I don't have a PC connected to my projector, so it would have to be something I can do with the PS3.

I was waffling for the past 6 months and finally decided on the Vango mainly because I've alsways enjoyed DLP projectors, but also because it should be without rainbows (for most people) and I'm really sick of feeling the need to replace bulbs. I also got tired of waffling, so just went for it.

I notice that the Vango is no longer in a sticky post at the top of this forum. Is the introductory price for the Vango gone?
post #179 of 835 Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The most definitive tests that are simple to perform are either snapping a pic of a CRT monitor and the digital display with a stopwatch that can clock in the thousandths or a Rock Band 2/3 auto calibration with the RB2 guitar controller (this may or may not be absolute but at least it allows us to measure our results against other displays).

The nice thing about the RB calibrations is you can also check various input types against each other.
post #180 of 835 Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is just to satisify my curiousity...

Possible to stack two Vangos for a 'same-brightness' alternative to 3-chip?

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Stewart Firehawk G3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page