post #3841 of 4216 Old 07-05-2011, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

Did you make that splitter for the 3D emitter? How does it work if so?

negative and I wish I did. I had several people over the other day who wanted to see Yogi Bear 3D. I had 2 pairs of Xpand 103's and 2 of the Monstervision 3D glasses.

I have to find the link to that cable people were using to split the cables. i am going to order it this week and will post feedback once I get it working.

edit: here is the link. I am going to order 2 to piece them together.

http://www.stockcable.com/store/inde...&product_id=50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 4216 Old 07-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

negative and I wish I did. I had several people over the other day who wanted to see Yogi Bear 3D. I had 2 pairs of Xpand 103's and 2 of the Monstervision 3D glasses.

I have to find the link to that cable people were using to split the cables. i am going to order it this week and will post feedback once I get it working.

edit: here is the link. I am going to order 2 to piece them together.

http://www.stockcable.com/store/inde...&product_id=50

Great take pictures, plan to follow your success
post #3843 of 4216 Old 07-05-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just ordered 2 of them to cut apart. I'll use some heat-shrink tubing that I always have laying around from different projects to keep it nice and clean.

I forget.. do you also have the 3D vision glasses? I had 1 for a while and just ordered a 2nd a few weeks ago. I recently went back and watched 3D on my Acer 3D projector and the Nvidia glasses are VERY green tinted, quite distracting compared to the Xpand 103's and the Monster Vision 3D's.

I still find the MV 3D's to be my favorite in regard to the tint. I can't exactly put my finger on it, it just seems more transparent in regard to color shift in my opinion.
post #3844 of 4216 Old 07-05-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

check out Ron's post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19845976

he has an easy to use excel sheet to calculate LUX to lumens.

also, the light meter is here:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-Digita...=5336055023-20

The latter is what I reported back in March as buying and really like it for the price!

Mastech Digital Illuminance/Light Meter LX1330B , 0 - 200,000 Lux Luxmeter

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #3845 of 4216 Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That just sucks, sorry to hear it. Sounds like a problem unit for sure, can't say I have had a similar experience. I did get a new bulb and it's been doing well, have about 500hrs so far...yes it has lost some Lumens, but I just had a bud over to watch a few films and he was blown away by the PQ...still a great projector in the right environment...all things we did not bargain for going off the specs...

+1 (and sorry to hear buddy!) And... VERY concerning since he's the first of us who received a replacement bulb with that many hours on it, resulting in NO improvement over the previous bulb.

Could it be the very reason why JVC is so seemingly amenable to giving out replacement bulbs upon request even after the warranty has expired (like mine)? Not to sound like a conspirator here but I think it's something to consider or at the very least keep in mind when the next poor soul reports the same outcome on their replacement bulb (oh please not me!). If the hardware is the root cause here and JVC knows it, it is certainly easier (and cheaper!) to placate their existing customers than to admit faulty design and issue a massive recall. Food for thought.

Kevin

post #3846 of 4216 Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
so how do we display a 100 IRE full field pattern to measure lux?

do we need to download and write to disc?

is it in the avia disc or the munsil disc?

thanks

Bosng
post #3847 of 4216 Old 07-06-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Most calibration DVD/BD's contain these field patterns but most here use the AVS Rec 709 disc.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Kevin

post #3848 of 4216 Old 07-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
I had the RS40 and RS50 in the same light controlled room. I had to calibrate the RS50 to match the excellent out of the box IQ of the RS40 (which was also brighter)

imo, you can't tell the different in contrast between the two projectors. Save the $$ on the RS50, it's cheaper to own the RS40 and get a better CMS like the lumagen mini 3D.
I think it was a trick by JVC this year. They made the top of the line RS40 their lowest cost model. Must be some kind of marketing experiment.
post #3849 of 4216 Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post
I can't believe how quick these damn bulbs are dieing. I can't afford to spend 300 (or whatever it costs) for a new bulb every few months.
Are you having to buy the bulb, or is JVC replacing it?
post #3850 of 4216 Old 07-06-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Hell no I'm not gonna play JVC to send me another POS defective lamp. There should be a recall if anything.

Update. Lamp has dimmed to half of what it was yesterday. Can't make out anything at all in 3D and 2D is so dim that I have to jack up the To get any shadow detail. Pretty sure lamp is gonna die compeltely within a couple of days.

Im demanding a new projector. I may be both lamps were duds or maybe something in the hardware is causing the lamps to fail early.

Either way the new RS50 is going for sale and I'll probably lose a couple thousand dollars. But you know what, **** JVC. I'll never buy another JVC product again.
post #3851 of 4216 Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hell no I'm not gonna play JVC to send me another POS defective lamp. There should be a recall if anything.

Update. Lamp has dimmed to half of what it was yesterday. Can't make out anything at all in 3D and 2D is so dim that I have to jack up the To get any shadow detail. Pretty sure lamp is gonna die compeltely within a couple of days.

Im demanding a new projector. I may be both lamps were duds or maybe something in the hardware is causing the lamps to fail early.

Either way the new RS50 is going for sale and I'll probably lose a couple thousand dollars. But you know what, **** JVC. I'll never buy another JVC product again.

I'd love to know what your lumen output is on these 2 lamps. I am at 385 hours and going to measure later tonight. I run gamma 'D' to brighten it up as much as possible and it's getting a bit too dim for my preferences even on the HP screen. I might have to reach for that replacement lamp I've had sitting here for a while.

have you ever considered opening a projector review site? it would have the projector companies running scared but I bet the crowd would go wild with direct, 'in your face' reviews.

you're rating system could like the old Roman days.. thumbs up, or 'feed them to the Lions'.
post #3852 of 4216 Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

wow. it seems that the actual cost of these uhp lamps based on useable hours are higher than actual xenon lamps jvc used to use which were high priced but put out better quality light.

way to go jvc.

i'm still at low 100's on my lamp but not looking forward to the eventual early failure.

maybe i shouldn't expect it to fail but the amount of reports here makes me think it's likely.
post #3853 of 4216 Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Don't keep running that bulb. It could go "pop" and you don't want glass fragments everywhere if they refuse to swap out your projector with a new one.
post #3854 of 4216 Old 07-07-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I've boxed up the projector and it's ready to go to the dump for all I care.

I wouldn't mind being a reviewer, I would be good at it as I have a very critical eye and would pick apart any projector or display device for every flaw. However, I doubt I would get many review samples from companies I could setup a paypal account and have people donate money for the purchase of a projector and then raffle it away when the review is done.

My dealer is actually meeting with JVC tomorrow and he will let them know all the issues that I'm having so I'm pretty sure I will at least get a new one, or I put up the offer that he get me a RS40 from JVC and give me the difference in cash or store credit. We will see what happens.

BTW, I LOVE EPSON. Had an Epson for 2 years and changed it 3 times due to various issues. You call them. They send you a new projector the next day. You send your old one back after you get the new one. All at their expense and your not without a projector for a single day. Bonus was I never had to buy a bulb in 2 years I hope Epson comes out with something that blows away everybody else. They have the best hassle free warranty out there. It's so nice not having to worry about anything and dealing with dumb as techs or annoyed dealers.

At this point Im so fed up with projectors that I may move to a Sony LED 929, or Samsung plasma. The Sony actually achieves better blacks then the Kuro with local dimming but some blooming is present, and of course it's only 65"
post #3855 of 4216 Old 07-07-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

BTW, I LOVE EPSON. Had an Epson for 2 years and changed it 3 times due to various issues. You call them. They send you a new projector the next day. You send your old one back after you get the new one. All at their expense and your not without a projector for a single day. Bonus was I never had to buy a bulb in 2 years I hope Epson comes out with something that blows away everybody else. They have the best hassle free warranty out there. It's so nice not having to worry about anything and dealing with dumb as techs or annoyed dealers.

Yes, Epson's exchange program is remarkable! In fact, some users are on their 7th swap and STILL have issues that aren't solved. Swap 'till ya' Drop!
post #3856 of 4216 Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've boxed up the projector and it's ready to go to the dump for all I care.

I wouldn't mind being a reviewer, I would be good at it as I have a very critical eye and would pick apart any projector or display device for every flaw. However, I doubt I would get many review samples from companies I could setup a paypal account and have people donate money for the purchase of a projector and then raffle it away when the review is done.

My dealer is actually meeting with JVC tomorrow and he will let them know all the issues that I'm having so I'm pretty sure I will at least get a new one, or I put up the offer that he get me a RS40 from JVC and give me the difference in cash or store credit. We will see what happens.

Oh dude... if you get the offer for the RS40 take it and use the extra Drachma's for the Lumagen. Mark will get you a very good deal on it!

Kevin

post #3857 of 4216 Old 07-07-2011, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

have you guys read about this small LED projector. It's 720P and puts out 300 lumens. I set it up tonight on my 142" screen and the results were impressive for something this small. There is no screen door effect like my Acer 720P projector and the sharpness is surprisingly good.

It's not much dimmer than my current lamp @ 360 lumens. The JVC is at 14 feet, the vivitek is at 16.5feet and isn't too far in brightness from one another.

screenshots / initial impressions if interested:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post20667733

If this company can do this for $500, JVC should be able to implement LED's in the next few years.

post #3858 of 4216 Old 07-08-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Awesome little projector!!

at 300 lumens it's not very bright and must really not be great for 3D, but for 2D on a smaller screen it looks like a great way to get into HT.

Does it have HDMI 1.4 and would it work with the PS3? Hopefully you can get 3D going and give us some impressions.
post #3859 of 4216 Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Awesome little projector!!

at 300 lumens it's not very bright and must really not be great for 3D, but for 2D on a smaller screen it looks like a great way to get into HT.

Does it have HDMI 1.4 and would it work with the PS3? Hopefully you can get 3D going and give us some impressions.

At 360 lumens, my RS50 isn't very bright either.

I am just using it for quick 30-60 minute viewing times, mainly for TV to keep the hours off the JVC. The pixels structure is much better than the Acer, you can't see the SDE even on my 142" and it's sharper than the Acer as well by a fair amount.

it's only 1.3 and I'll have to drive it with the Nvidia setup on the HTPC. NVidia doesn't see it as a 3D projector, I'll have to spoof an INF file like the Optoma guys were doing a while back.
post #3860 of 4216 Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 PM

just thought i would share a little story with you. As i am a slow leaner, i pre-ordered the new sony "flagship" tv, (not having learnt from buying a x9),which just like the new jvc projectors came with issues. Unlike jvc who have just seemed to ignore their customers, sony investigated it for and have done the decent thing and are replacing all the effected tv's. I no where i am going to be looking for the next pj.
Sadly jvc's tactic seems to be working as nobody over on avs is even talking about it now, good old british stiff upper lip, don't you no.
post #3861 of 4216 Old 07-08-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I just emailed my dealer and asked that he give me a store credit as I'm not comfortable getting another JVC with all the issues they are having. Here's hoping he can pull some strings and get a refund from those bastards at JVC.

I do use the projector more then the average person, and wait until the **** storm hits when many peoples lamps/projectors start failing at an alarming rate. I would not be surprised if there was a fatal hardware defect in these new projectors that JVC is keeping secret.
post #3862 of 4216 Old 07-09-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The cables came in, they look like nice quality. shame I have to cut them up.. it would be nice if there was a splitter out there somewhere.

I'll post photos as soon as I do it, hopefully sometime this weekend. It will be nice to use the JVC emitter and the Monster Vision RF emitter at the same time.
post #3863 of 4216 Old 07-09-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post
Hi..I am wondering if your light meter is not very accurate. In your previous measurements you had a 35% drop from OFF to THX. In your new measurements the drop is only 28%. Typically the drop-off is nearer to 40%. But as everything ages that number cannot ever change as its part of the forced calibration set at the factory.

In fact I think I can see the error. Your max OFF lumens is pretty much the same as your previous reading. But your THX mode is now reading almost 70 lumens higher which would be impossible. Throw changes would change everything proportionally.
Jon, I noticed that also and was wondering the same as you. I think the light meter is not the problem since the OFF numbers are the same. Most like "user error" I have a very large screen now that I didn't have before. Perhaps there is more indirect reflected room light? I would expect that to have effected both reading similarly. Also the throw distance and zoom are a bit different but not sure that should effect things. Well see when I check again in a few more hours.

Mark
post #3864 of 4216 Old 07-09-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

my father has this (not calibrated) and the picture looks WAY too dark. He leaves it on the natural setting, but theres detail lost EVERYWHERE. Last time i was watching something on the tv the picture looked a better but kinda washed out, when i looked it seemed he had it on the 3D mode and had left it like that for weeks =P

anyway, i was wondering if theres a settings thread anywhere? I dont have the knowledge or equipment to calibrate this thing properly, but i could do some minor tweaks with HD essentials or something, but it looks like it may not be passing btb or wth or something. Im just curious what some general goto points are for the settings, all i see the last few pages are people talking about a really bad lamp life =(

Im curious what gamma setting mean what. What is A, B, C, Normal, ect? Which is closest to 2.2? (i think thats the standard right?) And whats up with the color space? Natural is the only one that seems to use 'video' not really sure what that means, most seem to use 'standard' Which ones supposed to be rec 709? is one a 'wide' color space? Right now im watching some anime on it and notice the Animation preset uses a unique color space called 'animation 1' =P would be nice to know wtf all this stuff means, and i wonder if its contributing to the very crushed looking picture
post #3865 of 4216 Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 PM

Updated with latest hours on the bulb. Saw a 12% drop on my User2 lumens from 1176 @51hr to 1032 @178hr. Hopefully it doesnt drop much more...

Picture Mode: THX
Color Profile: THX
Lamp: High
Aperture: 0
Average: 262.78 lux x 2.704m = 710.55 lumens (51 hr)
Average: 266.78 lux x 2.704m = 721.37 lumens (82 hr)
Average: 254.00 lux x 2.704m = 687.11 lumens (178 hr)

Picture Mode: User 2
Color Profile: Off
Average: 434.88 lux x 2.704m = 1175.94 lumens (51 hr)
Average: 421.44 lux x 2.704m = 1139.59 lumens (82 hr)
Average: 381.77 lux x 2.704m = 1032.33 lumens (178 hr)

Color Profile: Cinema 1
Contrast: -4
Brightness: 2
Average: 218.78 lux x 2.704m = 591.58 lumens (51 hr)
Average: 217.22 lux x 2.704m = 587.37 lumens (82 hr)
Average: 193.78 lux x 2.704m = 523.98 lumens (178 hr)

Color Profile: 3D
Average: 279.11 lux x 2.704m = 754.72 lumens (51 hr)
Average: 277.33 lux x 2.704m = 749.90 lumens (82 hr)
Average: 240.44 lux x 2.704m = 650.16 lumens (178 hr)

Picture Mode: 3D
Color Profile: 3D
Average: 278.56 lux x 2.704m = 753.21 lumens (51 hr)
Average: 276.89 lux x 2.704m = 748.71 lumens (82 hr)
Average: 262.89 lux x 2.704m = 710.85 lumens (178 hr)

Picture Mode: Cinema
Color Profile: Cinema 1
Lamp: Normal
Average: 140.00 lux x 2.704m = 379 lumens (51 hr)
Average: 140.00 lux x 2.704m = 379 lumens (82 hr)
Average: 131.78 lux x 2.704m = 356 lumens (178 hr)
post #3866 of 4216 Old 07-10-2011, 02:15 AM

I've just learned that the RS40 suffers from a input lag (latency) of 80 - 110ms. This basically makes it an unacceptable PJ choice for me for video game use.

Since the RS50 has different video-processing, I shouldn't assume that it suffers from the same problem. Can anyone measure the lag and let me know what it looks like? Also, it would help to see if it's consistent across all the video modes. It looks like some people are using the lip-sync auto-compensation setting on their receivers to measure the lag.

Thanks,
John
post #3867 of 4216 Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 AM

Hi,

Calibrated my preamp and got a synchro timer of 110ms in THX mode (X7 / RS50), didn't try game mode if there is a difference. And yes it makes it tricky for some games, but nothing I personaly can't live with.
post #3868 of 4216 Old 07-11-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMabille_UK View Post

Hi,

Calibrated my preamp and got a synchro timer of 110ms in THX mode (X7 / RS50), didn't try game mode if there is a difference. And yes it makes it tricky for some games, but nothing I personaly can't live with.

Thank you!

Just checking: do you have any components between the video source and the x7 (e.g. lumagen)?

It would be useful to know how game mode performs, but from what I've heard it's unlikely to be better.

Thanks,
John
post #3869 of 4216 Old 07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

FWIW, I've decided to move on to the RS40/MiniMe combo and I'm in the process of making that happen (it'll be a week or so until I get the Radiance and an RS40). When I get it all setup I'll post my impressions of the new setup versus the RS50.

PS: Now that I've bailed on the 50 it wouldn't surprise me if JVC releases fixes for the CMS & Gamma issues.........

Hi Geof,

I hope you didn't take too much of a beating on your RS50, but don't worry about JVC fixing the CMS and Gamma. Even if they do your RS40 and Radiance will probably beat the controls on the RS50, and won't it also permit calibrating 3D, something the RS50 doesn't do? The RS40 will still be brighter. Probably the only thing that the RS50 will be better is an imperceptible improvement in contrast.

So stop looking in your rear view mirror, and enjoy!

Larry
post #3870 of 4216 Old 07-13-2011, 01:10 PM

Actually the 50 60 and 40 all calibrate 3d. My Isf calibrator used the user1 as a start point and put the glasses in front of the colorometer and then ran the calman.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc America , Jvc Rs50u

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page