Official JVC RS-50 Owner's Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 4220 Old 12-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just tested a pair of Xpand x104 Youniversal 3D glasses - I don't have a x103 pair to compare but they are a tiny bit darker than the JVC PK-AG1BP. Anyone got a pair of PK-AG2BP tested on an X7 yet?

The X104 automatically found my projector and I was watching 3D quite quickly (charging them fully now). They are comfortable and look forward to other sizes for the kids/wife/guests....

The PC Application is not available yet so I am hoping we can tweak these for polarization etc... Was wondering if the PKAG2 are better than the PKAG1 -- if anyone has compared... also is JVC planning to lower the prices -- X103's have come down significantly -- I know I spent a lot on a projector - just not enough content still available for the price of JVC glasses (have one pair)...

My main question is has anyone tried the 3DTV corp glasses on EBAY or a pair by BLICK? The reason is there seems to be a lot of companies advertising 3D universal glasses that work with the JVC emitter -- but I don't want to buy them if I have no way to know if they work (no reviews)..

The xpand x104's I got for an xmas present (a good one) --

Have been enjoying my X7 for around a year now - no issues so far - StudioTek 130 G3 (1 year old) 100" long throw - in batcave.... 3D is outstanding other than first 30 minutes -- not much ghosting or cross talk to speak of --- I had a fairly negative view of 3D - although Avatar and some other 3D bluray have swayed me a bit... 3D gaming needs some work as well.... What glasses are other JVC owners running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 4220 Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 AM

Hi all, Has anybody updated to the new version 1.5 firmware that JVC has released? In the notes, they claim to have fixed some of the CMS issues.
post #4143 of 4220 Old 01-10-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The only thing addressed CMS-wise is the blanking between adjustments. It is still there but it's shorter in duration. There are other fixes rolled into it such as HDMI handshaking but the CMS is till "quirky" and gamma adjustments still upset greyscale balance.

IIRC 1.5 is basically the same thing as 1.3 (or 1.4)....they just wanted the same firmware version number as the RS40. It shouldn't hurt to update tho if your machine does not have the latest firmware.

Geof
post #4144 of 4220 Old 01-10-2012, 08:43 AM

Thanks Geof.

Sure would be nice to know JVC's stance on whether or not it is ever going to address the known CMS/Gamma quirks...
post #4145 of 4220 Old 01-10-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukeesk View Post

Thanks Geof.

Sure would be nice to know JVC's stance on whether or not it is ever going to address the known CMS/Gamma quirks...

At this point I think the answer is.....it is what it is....

Geof
post #4146 of 4220 Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

At this point I think the answer is.....it is what it is....

When was that released?
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #4147 of 4220 Old 01-10-2012, 07:22 PM

Not sure of the release, just found it the jvc website today, but for all I know it's been there a while. I looked for its release date, but it didn't have anything listed.
post #4148 of 4220 Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukeesk View Post

Not sure of the release, just found it the jvc website today, but for all I know it's been there a while. I looked for its release date, but it didn't have anything listed.

I believe I installed that several months ago when I first got my pj. It will be calibrated in March but it looks fantastic on the THX settings at the moment.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #4149 of 4220 Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 AM

Liked: 12
I need help. I have an RS-50, and I ordered a new lamp from an authorized dealer online. At 334 hours it started go look dark, and at 367 hours, the machine won't turn on, the lamp indicator is on and the bulb is bad. I called JVC, they were rude and wanted nothing to do with it. Had I purchased the lamp from them, they would have helped. I had saved for 5 months to be able to buy a new lamp. My old one had gone so I timed it right to have the new one around the time the first one went. This is only my 2nd lamp since I bought it when it first came out.

I can't believe the support and rudeness. They manufactured the lamp, one would think that after 367 hours a lamp goes bad they would stand by their own lamp. Does anyone know any avenues to get something done about this? His suggestion was to send the projector in for repair, sure, a ton of money to ship and a ton of money only to tell me the lamp was bad. If anyone can help I would much appreciate it. I contacted the dealer but have not heard from them, but probably expecting a negative response there too.
post #4150 of 4220 Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post

I need help. I have an RS-50, and I ordered a new lamp from an authorized dealer online. At 334 hours it started go look dark, and at 367 hours, the machine won't turn on, the lamp indicator is on and the bulb is bad. I called JVC, they were rude and wanted nothing to do with it. Had I purchased the lamp from them, they would have helped. I had saved for 5 months to be able to buy a new lamp. My old one had gone so I timed it right to have the new one around the time the first one went. This is only my 2nd lamp since I bought it when it first came out.
I can't believe the support and rudeness. They manufactured the lamp, one would think that after 367 hours a lamp goes bad they would stand by their own lamp. Does anyone know any avenues to get something done about this? His suggestion was to send the projector in for repair, sure, a ton of money to ship and a ton of money only to tell me the lamp was bad. If anyone can help I would much appreciate it. I contacted the dealer but have not heard from them, but probably expecting a negative response there too.

First...where did you buy the projector from originally? Second, where did you get the lamp from?

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email: jason@avscience.com

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #4151 of 4220 Old 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM

Hi,

I seem to be having some weird issues with my RS50. I have contacted JVC support and they are going to call me back, but in the meantime I'd like to know your thoughts.

I purchased the projector about 18 months ago, and wanted to get it calibrated at some point, but didn't get around to it until now. I've felt it needed a calibration for a while, but didn't see this coming.

Red just plummets after 70 IRE, and if I try to calibrate with CalMan 5 autocal it lowers blue and green a LOT to get it in line, and it just seems to kill the greyscale. The results were collected with an i1display pro, and I've checked with a colormunki photo as well, with similar results. Is the projector defective? BTW the red plummet is evident in every mode and with different sources.

Kind regards,
Simon Westenholz
post #4152 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NainoKami View Post

Hi,

I seem to be having some weird issues with my RS50. I have contacted JVC support and they are going to call me back, but in the meantime I'd like to know your thoughts.

I purchased the projector about 18 months ago, and wanted to get it calibrated at some point, but didn't get around to it until now. I've felt it needed a calibration for a while, but didn't see this coming.

Red just plummets after 70 IRE, and if I try to calibrate with CalMan 5 autocal it lowers blue and green a LOT to get it in line, and it just seems to kill the greyscale. The results were collected with an i1display pro, and I've checked with a colormunki photo as well, with similar results. Is the projector defective? BTW the red plummet is evident in every mode and with different sources.

Kind regards,
Simon Westenholz

I've spoken to JVC and they think it's defective. I feel stupid for not having noticed before, but there you go. The company I bought the RS50 from has dissolved, so I think I'm out of luck, warranty-wise. Will have to get an offer from a service center.

Damn...
post #4153 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

There is no possibility that this is caused by the lamp? I believe Red is usually the color that decreases fastest with these lamps. What does the greyscale look like at 100% luminance?

Geof
post #4154 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

There is no possibility that this is caused by the lamp? I believe Red is usually the color that decreases fastest with these lamps.

Unfortunately I doubt it. The lamp has under 500 hours on it, and I would find it weird if it only affected the high IRE levels. None of the colors track even remotely straight and if I compare it to the charts in the AVForums review (see image) it's another world... I sincerely hope you're right, as that's probably the cheapest fix I could hope for, but I doubt it... frown.gif

From AVForums review of the X7 - THX preset out of box.
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80
post #4155 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

I've spoken to JVC and they think it's defective. I feel stupid for not having noticed before, but there you go. The company I bought the RS50 from has dissolved, so I think I'm out of luck, warranty-wise. Will have to get an offer from a service center.

Damn...

Isn't the responsibility for warranty fulfillment JVC's and not the retailer's?
post #4156 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Those lamps are notoriously bad. And Red is usually the weakest color. I would recommend checking grayscale at 100% but we already know the answer...red is too low.

Geof
post #4157 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Isn't the responsibility for warranty fulfillment JVC's and not the retailer's?

I assumed the same thing but JVC informed me otherwise... The unit turns out to be a US import, so JVC UK (or for that matter JVC Denmark where I'm located) don't cover it. I should be covered by the company that sold me the unit under EU law, but as they've dissolved I'm sadly a bit stuck.

I think all I can hope for is a cheap-ish repair.
post #4158 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Those lamps are notoriously bad. And Red is usually the weakest color. I would recommend checking grayscale at 100% but we already know the answer...red is too low.

If you're right, and it is the lamp, I'll be over the moon! But do you really think a failing lamp would cause such unevenness? I would assume red would fall over the entire range, and not just the top end, but I'm no expert.
post #4159 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Well if your flashlight dims it still puts out light, just at a lower level. Projector lamps put out a broad spectrum but reds are usually the toughest and that projector has a very high native color temp (meaning it has a lot of blue and a lot less red). I certainly can't guarantee the lamp is bad and I'd feel really bad if you bought one and it didn't help but I personally would do that before sending the projector in for a repair. If it's not the lamp then I suspect they'd want to change the optical block and if that's the case you'll probably be better off buying a new projector. So you may end up buying a lamp that does you no good but at the same time if it is the lamp you're back in business with minimal downtime and expense. The "good news" is the latests series 3 lamps are far better than the original series 1 lamps. If you pull out the lamp look for the part number stamped on the glass - it is something like QLL094-00x where x is 1, 2, or 3 (going by memory so that may not be the right number). Good luck with whatever you decide.
NainoKami likes this.

Geof
post #4160 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Yes what Geof said if that lamp with 500 hours was from one of the crap early runs from China. There were reports of them going in the 400 hour range give or take 50. The usual tip off was over a period of just a week or two they would start really losing brightness, and then be at risk of blowing after it got really dim. Nice of JVC to dismiss it so quickly as probably being the projector's fault.
post #4161 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Well if your flashlight dims it still puts out light, just at a lower level. Projector lamps put out a broad spectrum but reds are usually the toughest and that projector has a very high native color temp (meaning it has a lot of blue and a lot less red). I certainly can't guarantee the lamp is bad and I'd feel really bad if you bought one and it didn't help but I personally would do that before sending the projector in for a repair. If it's not the lamp then I suspect they'd want to change the optical block and if that's the case you'll probably be better off buying a new projector. So you may end up buying a lamp that does you no good but at the same time if it is the lamp you're back in business with minimal downtime and expense. The "good news" is the latests series 3 lamps are far better than the original series 1 lamps. If you pull out the lamp look for the part number stamped on the glass - it is something like QLL094-00x where x is 1, 2, or 3 (going by memory so that may not be the right number). Good luck with whatever you decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Yes what Geof said if that lamp with 500 hours was from one of the crap early runs from China. There were reports of them going in the 400 hour range give or take 50. The usual tip off was over a period of just a week or two they would start really losing brightness, and then be at risk of blowing after it got really dim. Nice of JVC to dismiss it so quickly as probably being the projector's fault.

Looking at the prices for a new lamp, I think I'll try that first. Here's hoping it's just that... smile.gif Now to find a place where they stock it nearby, so I can check the production series.

Thanks for your help so far!
post #4162 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not a betting man but if I were I'd take the bet the lamp is bad....smile.gif

The -003 Lamps should be easily available as they have been out for a year now. You can easily recognize them as they have a metal flapper in the air flow opening (shown in the attached photo).

Please let us know what you find out!!

Geof
post #4163 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I'm not a betting man but if I were I'd take the bet the lamp is bad....smile.gif

The -003 Lamps should be easily available as they have been out for a year now. You can easily recognize them as they have a metal flapper as shown in the attached photo.

Please let us know what you find out!!

Thanks for the info... I'm a bit confused about the info on JVC's danish site though... There is the PK-L2312U which they state is for DLA-95R/X75R/X55R/X35, DLA-X90R/X70R/X30 and DLA-X9/X7/X3 and then there is the one you mention, PK-L2210U, but there are no details about that one... I'm reading a bit of conflicting information when I search for the former... Hmm...
post #4164 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info... I'm a bit confused about the info on JVC's danish site though... There is the PK-L2312U which they state is for DLA-95R/X75R/X55R/X35, DLA-X90R/X70R/X30 and DLA-X9/X7/X3 and then there is the one you mention, PK-L2210U, but there are no details about that one... I'm reading a bit of conflicting information when I search for the former... Hmm...
Can't help there...other than to say you want the PK-L2210U. It was only used for two model years...in the RS40/45/50/55/60/65 and in the corresponding X series models. You may not be able to find just a bare bulb but in this case you definitely want the new housing with the flapper so you need the PK-L2210U.
NainoKami likes this.

Geof
post #4165 of 4220 Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Can't help there...other than to say you want the PK-L2210U. It was only used for two model years...in the RS40/45/50/55/60/65 and in the corresponding X series models. You may not be able to find just a bare bulb but in this case you definitely want the new housing with the flapper so you need the PK-L2210U.

Thanks man! I've found a local reseller, so I'll head out tomorrow and see if it's the right one. I'll let you know what happens.
post #4166 of 4220 Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 AM

Bad news...

New lamp installed, and this is the result. Still impossible to calibrate. I'm starting to think one of the internal filters is stuck in the PJ, but I may just be grasping at straws... Was hoping for the easy fix, but no such luck. Any ideas?

post #4167 of 4220 Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I did not expect that....
Have you reset the cuts and gains in the user menu?
Also you may wish to reset the service menu preset for 6500 (if that is the preset you are using).
What meter are you using? Can you verify it (or test it) on another display? I presume the image looks red deficient as one would expect with this response.

Now I feel bad for talking you into buying a lamp....

Geof
post #4168 of 4220 Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Wow, I did not expect that....
Have you reset the cuts and gains in the user menu?
Also you may wish to reset the service menu preset for 6500 (if that is the preset you are using).
What meter are you using? Can you verify it (or test it) on another display? I presume the image looks red deficient as one would expect with this response.

Now I feel bad for talking you into buying a lamp....

No worries about the lamp! smile.gif

I've done a factory reset in the service menu. I've checked and double checked every setting both in the normal and service menus. I've checked with both my i1display pro and my Colormunki Photo, both of which work fine on my Panasonic VT50.

The picture is watchable (I've been watching movies for 18 months on it), but I've always felt it needed calibration. I didn't see these results coming though.

I've spoken to JVC USA and they will service it if I can produce an invoice proving date of purchase, but that means sending it over the Atlantic. I have however checked my home insurance policy, and I have an extra "electronics" insurance that covers items under 4 years old for defects or accidental damage, so I will try and talk to them.

I think that's the way to go from here... If I can get them to cover it I'm golden... biggrin.gif
post #4169 of 4220 Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Best of luck!

Geof
post #4170 of 4220 Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member