Official JVC RS-50 Owner's Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 4220 Old 12-15-2010, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unpacked my new RS50 tonight, man, this is my first JVC projector. My former was my Epson 1080 (non-UB) from 2006. I have not yet hooked it up as it was in a cold UPS truck all day in 20 degree weather and I am leaving it to get to room temp overnight, besides me glasses and emitter will not be here until tomorrow anyway.

I can't believe how heavy this is compared to the Epson, 4 times heavier. And it's just gorgeous. I know the best lies ahead-tomorrow......so I will probably be asking alot of questions about setting, especially CMS because I am totally unfamiliar with it./ I will read the manual tonight. With my new Oppo 93......Oh what a joyous Chanukkah!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 4220 Old 12-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captfluoro View Post

A quick question for the RS50 owners who are doing 3D: How did you install the IR emitter? From what I remeber you can either install it close to the projector and have it bounce off of the screen and reflect back towards the viewer or you can place it closer to the screen and have it beam directly towards the viewer. I'll probably do the former and was wondering if anyone used that method and how did it work?

I have the 40 and have the emitter sitting on a shelf right next to my projector in the rear of the room so it bounces off the screen. Have only watched 1 3d film so far, but it works perfectly.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #153 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 12:42 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Worked on second RS50. This one was completely different than the first. No CMS or color problems with this one. Best color I have seen from LCOS machine.

3D was much better than CEDIA. Appears flicker visibility is dependent on lumen level. Movies were running at 48Hz on JVC. I suspect that is why it flickers when bright. First scope 3D install I have seen on 11 ft wide High Power screen. Powerful combination. Used anamorphic stretch for 2:35 3D in Oppo. Very cool.
post #154 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Jeff, was this a later firmware on the 'better' RS50 or just a variation?

I meant to ask in the earlier post, but I'm guessing that these RS50s can't have more than a few hours on them yet, so I guess you'll be going back to do a touch up? It'll be interesting to see if you find the first one any better after it's put a few hours on.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #155 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by umr View Post

Worked on second RS50. This one was completely different than the first. No CMS or color problems with this one. Best color I have seen from LCOS machine. .....

Thanks very much Jeff

Surely you didn't have annotate somewhere the Firmware realeases of the 2 machines ... Right ??
Can you ask to the owners to check what firm release "Read" in the Service menu page ?

Just in order to check if the problem could depend by 2 different releases ....

Seems the 1st one you calibrated suffers by a "young early release firm sick"

Thanks very much
post #156 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander_AVS View Post

Thanks very much Jeff

Surely you didn't have annotate somewhere the Firmware realeases of the 2 machines ... Right ??
Can you ask to the owners to check what firm release "Read" in the Service menu page ?

Just in order to check if the problem could depend by 2 different releases ....

Seems the 1st one you calibrated suffers by a "young early release firm sick"

Thanks very much

yes,would be great to know firmware so we can address if JVC if there is a difference and any of us 50 owners also have the poopy one...
post #157 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Worked on second RS50. This one was completely different than the first. No CMS or color problems with this one. Best color I have seen from LCOS machine.

3D was much better than CEDIA. Appears flicker visibility is dependent on lumen level. Movies were running at 48Hz on JVC. I suspect that is why it flickers when bright. First scope 3D install I have seen on 11 ft wide High Power screen. Powerful combination. Used anamorphic stretch for 2:35 3D in Oppo. Very cool.

Thanks for the update, it is indeed reassuring.
post #158 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

Thanks for the update, it is indeed reassuring.

Agreed, though also perplexing why JVC would have such a variance between to unit from (presuming) the same production cycle
post #159 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Agreed, though also perplexing why JVC would have such a variance between to unit from (presuming) the same production cycle

As you may know a minor f/w update has been released recently to solve a compatibility issue with some Panasonic 3D BD players (at least the BDT-300). Although that would not explain the difference with the CMS behaviour between the 1st and the 2nd unit calibrated by Umr, it is not impossible that they fixed some bugs with this release, hence the better stability in the second unit.

Given the pressure under which they must be at the production line, I wouldn't be surprised if updating all the units in a batch to the latest f/w was not very high on the priority list.

It may well be the case that they started to roll out the new f/w during the production of the batch, and didn't have time to update the already assembled (an possibly packed and ready to ship) ones, as it's not a vital update and can be done easily at a later stage by the end user.
post #160 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

As you may know a minor f/w update has been released recently to solve a compatibility issue with some Panasonic 3D BD players (at least the BDT-300). Although that would not explain the difference with the CMS behaviour between the 1st and the 2nd unit calibrated by Umr, it is not impossible that they fixed some bugs with this release, hence the better stability in the second unit.

Given the pressure under which they must be at the production line, I wouldn't be surprised if updating all the units in a batch to the latest f/w was not very high on the priority list.

It may well be the case that they started to roll out the new f/w during the production of the batch, and didn't have time to update the already assembled (an possibly packed and ready to ship) ones, as it's not a vital update and can be done easily at a later stage by the end user.

Sorry, no I did not know this - I thought there was a post here or on another thread about a firmware update for Samsung 3D BR players to address some ghosting issues.

There's a firmware update for the JVC's already? Do we know that the current version is, and how one gets the update if there is one??

Thanks
post #161 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
There is indeed a FW update for the Panasonic compatibility but it is not in public circulation. It is provided by JVC on request to them.

There is a firmware issue on the X3/RS40 with gamma switching in 3D mode.

I suspect there will be other little bits and pieces to come, so I suspect that a public distribution will be a while yet.
post #162 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

What does "Axis Position" do?

Affable Nitwit
post #163 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

There is indeed a FW update for the Panasonic compatibility but it is not in public circulation. It is provided by JVC on request to them.

There is a firmware issue on the X3/RS40 with gamma switching in 3D mode.

I suspect there will be other little bits and pieces to come, so I suspect that a public distribution will be a while yet.

I was about to put a panasonic player in the loop to compare to the samsung...so I guess I should call jvc on this?
post #164 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

yes,would be great to know firmware so we can address if JVC if there is a difference and any of us 50 owners also have the poopy one...

I do not know the firmware number, but from what I saw it looked like more than that. I wonder if they had a bad calibration on the first one.
post #165 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

What does "Axis Position" do?

This was asked either earlier in this thread or one of the others. There are so many now and they're so long, that it's difficult to check.

The answer is that Axis Position allows you to select the exact colour at which you make the adjustment. A picture is supposed to be worth a thousand words, so the attached one should help.

I haven't had too much time to play with this yet (I have to support all products, not just projectors), but I will hopefully do so soon.
LL
post #166 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK View Post

I haven't had too much time to play with this yet (I have to support all products, not just projectors), but I will hopefully do so soon.

Gary,

What is the best way to report bugs in the firmware? I am having an issue that Petri has confirmed with his X7. The Nvidia series graphics cards cannot sync with the X3/ RS40 as well. The JVC thinks the resolution is 2880x1080 and will not display the screen.

thank you!

Jason
post #167 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

This was asked either earlier in this thread or one of the others. There are so many now and they're so long, that it's difficult to check.

The answer is that Axis Position allows you to select the exact colour at which you make the adjustment. A picture is supposed to be worth a thousand words, so the attached one should help.

Thanks.

I can't think of a reason to ever touch this.

Can anyone else?

Affable Nitwit
post #168 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

Thanks.

I can't think of a reason to ever touch this.

Can anyone else?

If you want to fine-tune the skin tones of the Navi's in Avatar?
post #169 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Gary,

What is the best way to report bugs in the firmware? I am having an issue that Petri has confirmed with his X7. The Nvidia series graphics cards cannot sync with the X3/ RS40 as well. The JVC thinks the resolution is 2880x1080 and will not display the screen.

thank you!

Jason

I can do it direct to Japan if you have a link to a post with some details (card type, etc.) or if someone can post details here.
post #170 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Gary, it makes sense now.

Could you please double check the clearance with the back wall requirement on the new series? You told us in the UK thread that a minimal distance (like 10mm) should be fine, but JVC US have said that the diagram had to be read the other way, and that 200mm were necessary. Would it be possible to double check with Japan to get a firm position?
post #171 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I just ran a calibration check on my X7 which already had the screen compensation applied.

Colour accuracy was fairly good out of the box. I will try and post some screenshots later. Greyscale as expected tracked with colour temperature too high, although absolutely consistent across the range, and about a dE of 7 from D65. Default gamma was pretty much spot-on 2.2!

I easily got the greyscale under control, requiring as usual, the biggest drop in blue and then green not far behind.

However, I cannot get anywhere with the CMS at all so far. Although the colours are not that far out, the adjustments for hue and saturation seem to have little or no effect from either end of the ranges. Luminance I found a bit more change with. The other REALLY annoying thing, is the screen blanks between each change of value, so calibrating will be a SLOW job.

Anyway, I never had any issue calibrating my HD950, but perhaps I am doing something completely wrong here. I had a look at the new axis control to see if it would help, but the dE was actually lowest in its default position to start with for the colours I was trying.
post #172 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

I just ran a calibration check on my X7 which already had the screen compensation applied.

Colour accuracy was fairly good out of the box. I will try and post some screenshots later. Greyscale as expected tracked with colour temperature too high, although absolutely consistent across the range, and about a dE of 7 from D65. Default gamma was pretty much spot-on 2.2!

I easily got the greyscale under control, requiring as usual, the biggest drop in blue and then green not far behind.

However, I cannot get anywhere with the CMS at all so far. Although the colours are not that far out, the adjustments for hue and saturation seem to have little or no effect from either end of the ranges. Luminance I found a bit more change with. The other REALLY annoying thing, is the screen blanks between each change of value, so calibrating will be a SLOW job.

Anyway, I never had any issue calibrating my HD950, but perhaps I am doing something completely wrong here. I had a look at the new axis control to see if it would help, but the dE was actually lowest in its default position to start with for the colours I was trying.

Do you mean each time you move saturation, hue or lightness one click if blanks? How long is the blank? Regarding the lack of response from each end of the range - that doesn't sound right or good.
post #173 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Do you mean each time you move saturation, hue or lightness one click if blanks? How long is the blank? Regarding the lack of response from each end of the range - that doesn't sound right or good.

Sorry there was a typo in my previous note. It tracks at a gamma of about 2.1 out of the box, not 2.2. Which is roughly what I have had from previous JVCs.

Yes, say you want to adjust hue from 0 to +1, it blanks, then you adjust to +2, it blanks again. The blank is a little under 1 second.

Maybe I am doing something crazy as I haven't calibrated in a long time, but while luminance adjustments seem to show straight away on my screen with just +1 or +2 etc....I have to move hue and saturation to +20 or more before I start to see anything change. And I can't get close to where I need to.

As you will see from my screenshots out of the box, the luminance matching of the colours is exceptional. Red and yellow are the most out, with red out by dE of 10 for saturation and yellow out about the same for hue. But other than that, it tracks very very well indeed.

I think the greyscale on my HD950 out of the box was a bit better, but as I say, it is absolutely normal for them to track low in red out of the box.
post #174 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had the pleasure of having Jeff Meier over last night for a full calibration on my RS50 and it looks incredible now. He also got into the 3D mode and cleaned that up nicely. Everything looks really good now. Very happy Jeff. Thank you. I'll leave it to Jeff to mention any technical details, but he seemed to be able to finesse the rs50 into VERY accurate readings without having to wrestle much. He seemed very happy with everything.

Silence is overrated!
post #175 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi View Post

I had the pleasure of having Jeff Meier over last night for a full calibration on my RS50 and it looks incredible now. He also got into the 3D mode and cleaned that up nicely. Everything looks really good now. Very happy Jeff. Thank you. I'll leave it to Jeff to mention any technical details, but he seemed to be able to finesse the rs50 into VERY accurate readings without having to wrestle much. He seemed very happy with everything.

Could I kindly ask you to go into the service menu and list out the firmware revisions you have? Then I can compare with what I am seeing.
post #176 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 AM

Man, I have been scratching my head all week trying to decide to go with the RS50 or the RS40 plus iScan Duo combo. Doesn't seem CMS on the RS50 is ready for prime time but at the same time I do want the extra CR. Decisions, decisions. Has anyone scene either the 40 or 50 in action on a grey screen? I have a Stewart Firehawk G3 screen with a gain of 1.3. Would this be an issue at all? Also, is HDMI 1.4 absolutly necessary for Blu-Ray 3d? I know its not for other sources like DTV but I'm not wanting to climb up in my attic again to run another HDMI cable but I will if I have to.
post #177 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Adidadi I was interested to know how many hours you have on your RS50 as you've already had it calibrated? I know Jeff is highly respected on here, but I always thought it was considered prudent to wait until at least 100 hours on the lamp. Unless of course you're having him back later for a 'touch up' calibration once it's settled in?

I wondered if the lack of hours might have been the cause of the other RS50's stability issues, hence my question.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #178 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Could I kindly ask you to go into the service menu and list out the firmware revisions you have? Then I can compare with what I am seeing.

Can you post instructions for accessing service menu and i'll try and get that for you. Thanks.

Silence is overrated!
post #179 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi View Post

Can you post instructions for accessing service menu and i'll try and get that for you. Thanks.

Press Up, Down, Right, Left and the OK button as quick as you can. The first thing that appears on the screen will be a list of components and firmware revisions.

Thank you very much
post #180 of 4220 Old 12-16-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

Adidadi I was interested to know how many hours you have on your RS50 as you've already had it calibrated? I know Jeff is highly respected on here, but I always thought it was considered prudent to wait until at least 100 hours on the lamp. Unless of course you're having him back later for a 'touch up' calibration once it's settled in?

I wondered if the lack of hours might have been the cause of the other RS50's stability issues, hence my question.

Mine is at 70 hours right now.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , Jvc America , Jvc Rs50u

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page