post #2971 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

Would anyone mind lending me there emitter for a few days? I'd like to test out the polarization of my ultramatte between x103 and JVC

Also Lawguy will be joining me in hopefully a successful 3 projector shootout.

RS1
RS20
RS40
hooked up via my pc

The polarization won't matter once the X104s start shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Really? Do you have a link to something that shows th x104 will do Horizontal Polarization? Don't see that here... http://www.xpandcinema.com/products/glasses/

The "big" news for the x104 is DLP-link and Bluetooth added - which is not applicable to these JVC models.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #2973 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Liked: 10
Yeah, my 3d emitter and JVC glasses came in today directly from JVC before the projector did. Maybe I should of just order the projector from them as well. I would of had everything by now as they said they would of had them in at beginning of January and they were willing to price match AVS. That is what I get for trying to save money on tax.
post #2974 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
the x104 are also a undisclosed price atm. They have specified that they will be more money as well. I'm guessing they will be priced similar to what other manufacturers msrp are. Mid to high $100 since they will still be selling x103's as entry level

Joe.T
post #2975 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post
Would anyone mind lending me there emitter for a few days? I'd like to test out the polarization of my ultramatte between x103 and JVC

Also Lawguy will be joining me in hopefully a successful 3 projector shootout.

RS1
RS20
RS40
hooked up via my pc
If you cannot borrow or buy an emitter in time for your testing, I suggest you just use a polarizing filter from a camera for the testing. Ideally use a linear polarizing filter, as used with film cameras, but a circular polarizer, as typically used wiith digital camera, can be used by viewing the screen thru the filter in the reverse direction. Also if you happen to have a pair of RealD glasses from when you saw a 3D movie in a theater. then these are also circular polarized and can be used for screen testing by viewing the screen backward thru the glasses. To check for screen polarization project an image from your JVC projector the while viewing the screen thru the filter just rotate the filter and see if the image appears to give maximum brightness at one postion of the filter and to max. dimming at another position (is it does then the filter positions for max and min brightness will be 90 degrees apart). If you do see this dimming effect then your screen is retaining polarization and the relative difference in brightness between the brightest and dimmest images while viewing thru the filter will be essentialy the same extent to which the Xpand glasses will be dimmer than the JVC glasses for viewing 3D with your screen. However, remember that using the actual JVC or Xpand glasses with the emitter for 3D viewing will produce a dimmer image than just using the simple filter, but if using the filter shows the images dims by say 50% at one position vs. the other, then you can expect the Xpand glasses to be 50% dimmer than the JVC glasses do to the Xpands have the 'wrong' polarization.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #2976 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
I received my RS40 a couple of hours ago. Before I take down my existing Epson 6500UB and mount and then I install the new Chief mount an RS40, I decided to place the projector on a small table (about 18" high) that I placed i front of my seats. It's a foot or two too close to the120" screen so I could only get perhaps a 100" image. Also I had to use max. vertical lens shift to get the image centered. Of course all of this will be different once I ceiling mount the projector with the lens position near the same height as the top of the screen (about 7 ft. above the floor) rather than its current test position where the projector is about a foot below the bottom of the screen. I focused the lens and then after perhaps 30 minutes spent setting up the 3D emitter,getting out one pair of JVC glasses and watching the beginning of Avatar 3D, I put in the AVS test disc and put up the congergence grid for a quick check. I looks like I got one of the good ones as the convergence looks to be within 1/4 pixel at the center and all 4 corners. Hopefully as the time on the projector increases to several hours the convergence stays at these levels.

Congrats Ron!! Really glad to hear you finally got yours!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2977 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
hmm..I have to do it fairly quickly.. up/down/right/left/center in order for it to work on mine. please give it a try, I am really curious to see what the built in RGB test pattern looks likes.
I coded a macro key on my MX-850 and it works great every time.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #2978 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post
Are you sure your blu-ray player is set to output 1080p/24 ?

It requires you to ensure this before going into the JVC HDMI menu and choosing over/under.
Yes...of course...But it still doesn't work...
post #2979 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Why so? Do you have any info to indicate the X104s won't be vertically polarized just like the X103s? Or perhaps you suspect that Xpand will take so long to actually start shipping the X104s we will have all given up on 3D by then.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #2980 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k
the one advantage to the Acer is the lack of flicker. This hasn't been discussed much, but I can definitely make out a bit of flicker on the JVC and it's rock solid (to my eyes) on the Acer. I am guessing this is the difference between the 48hz per eye and 60hz per eye if I am stating it correctly.
How does Acer convert 1080p24 to 60Hz per eye? Wouldn't that be back to the old days of 3:2 judder?
post #2981 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM

Liked: 11
[quote=kaotikr1;19809599]I use a 114" carada bw. Works fine.[/QUOTE

I think that I have the Carada classic (not the bright white). I assume that makes a big difference?
post #2982 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
If you cannot borrow or buy an emitter in time for your testing, I suggest you just use a polarizing filter from a camera for the testing. Ideally use a linear polarizing filter, as used with film cameras, but a circular polarizer, as typically used wiith digital camera, can be used by viewing the screen thru the filter in the reverse direction. Also if you happen to have a pair of RealD glasses from when you saw a 3D movie in a theater. then these are also circular polarized and can be used for screen testing by viewing the screen backward thru the glasses. To check for screen polarization project an image from your JVC projector the while viewing the screen thru the filter just rotate the filter and see if the image appears to give maximum brightness at one postion of the filter and to max. dimming at another position (is it does then the filter positions for max and min brightness will be 90 degrees apart). If you do see this dimming effect then your screen is retaining polarization and the relative difference in brightness between the brightest and dimmest images while viewing thru the filter will be essentialy the same extent to which the Xpand glasses will be dimmer than the JVC glasses for viewing 3D with your screen. However, remember that using the actual JVC or Xpand glasses with the emitter for 3D viewing will produce a dimmer image than just using the simple filter, but if using the filter shows the images dims by say 50% at one position vs. the other, then you can expect the Xpand glasses to be 50% dimmer than the JVC glasses do to the Xpands have the 'wrong' polarization.
I might have a telescope polarized lens filter.

Joe.T
post #2983 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Just went to pick up my JVC emitter and glasses. Kinda of sad having both of them without a projector to use them on. I asked the sales representative what is the time frame to when the next batch of projectors will go out and he told me he wasn't completely sure, but he could get one into the store by the 21st. He said he would even price match the price tag I ordered the projector from from the other dealer who seems to be pretty shady. I might just cancel my order and order the projector through the same place I got the emitter/glasses.
post #2984 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 443
[quote=mouradb;19812292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
I use a 114" carada bw. Works fine.[/QUOTE

I think that I have the Carada classic (not the bright white). I assume that makes a big difference?
No. The real world gain dif between the CCW and BW is next to nothing. You will be fine.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #2985 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 View Post
Is there anyway to have AVS test the convergence before shipping the projector out to us for a fee aside from a full calibration? It seems counterproductive if there is a manufacturing problem with the panels to ship the projectors back and forth if we can have that convergence tested before its shipped out, ofcourse there should be a fee for the time and energy needed to do this task, but that fee should be less then shipping as we are doing both avs and us a favor without having to ship back and forth.
A calibration is only like $250 and you get a better picture unless you are a pro at calibrating.
post #2986 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 PM

I am so ready to start watching 3D on this projector. Since I am starting all new with everything, I pretty much already have a PS3 slim, Da-Lite 100" HP Da-Snap screen, JVC emitter and glasses, HDMI 8" 1.4 cable, Call of Duty Black Ops, Gran Turismo 5, Avatar 3D, Despicable Me 3D, Alice in Wonderland 3D, A Christmas Carol 3D, and a Blu-Ray burner with BD-Rs all bought within the last couple of months in preparation for the JVC DLA-RS40 I bought last month. Only thing I need now is the projector to ship and home audio speakers and a new apartment to set everything up in.
post #2987 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Dog... which Sony for 2D? Back to the vw90ES?

Also, doesn't the RS40/50/60 have rgb convergence adjustment?
It all depends...I'll be done trying out projectors in March, so I'll reserve my final decision till then...But the VW90 is gonna be really hard to beat.

Yes, the JVC's have RGB adjustment on them.
post #2988 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post
How does Acer convert 1080p24 to 60Hz per eye? Wouldn't that be back to the old days of 3:2 judder?
Petri can explain it better than I could, but there is something going on in either the Acer, or the PC that is driving the Acer, but we both agreed on one thing. The overall motion is smooth and natural without having a processed, artificial feel to it.

The 3D IQ of this cheap $500 has to be seen to be appreciated. The 3D is rock solid with a nice steady (no flicker) image with absolutely no ghosting to be seen. My pet peeve is the relatively slow color wheel at 3x. If only it was 6x or above. I see rainbows from time to time, but I also see ghosting on the JVC an equal amount so it's a draw sometimes.

The JVC's (3D) advantage over the Acer in 3D is better sharpness, color, contrast, etc. If only we could combine the best qualities each has to offer for the ultimate 3D projector.

post #2989 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post
Gonna ask again....Anybody else out there have the "Magic Forest" 3D disc?...I can't seem to get it to play correctly...It has a start up menu where you are supposed to be able to set it up to play on your player/system...All the examples look like they are over/under...and I tried setting up the projector manually for over/under...I tried "everything"...I tried all the modes on the glasses... and I can't get the disc to play and show up in 3D on my system...Any help would be appreciated immensely...
Okay never mind guys...I finally got it...You have to kinda force the over/under mode in the 3D settings on the JVC...
post #2990 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
It all depends...I'll be done trying out projectors in March, so I'll reserve my final decision till then...But the VW90 is gonna be really hard to beat.

Yes, the JVC's have RGB adjustment on them.
Thanks Dog.... I just wondered if a RS50/60 might figure into your 2D solution given the benefits of the raw native on/off contrast. I recall your saying depending on the 2D content, you would favor the vw90 or the RS40.

I really wonder with full tilt calibration to both a vw90 and a new RS series, just how much your observations might change. I say this because, apparently ALL vw90s get special calibration attention by my old Sony friend Rob McDonough and his crew before they are sent out to dealers/distributors. This may account for the very good calibration specs reported for the vw90 tested in the Cine4Home review as well as your 2D performance observations. While there looked to be some room for fine tuning, overall there specs look very good at 6500K.

Anyway... the landscape should be a little clearer by March. Yeah right. Who do you think we are kidding. The choices will no doubt be just as challenging.

XBL GT:

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log:

post #2991 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Thanks Dog.... I just wondered if a RS50/60 might figure into your 2D solution given the benefits of the raw native on/off contrast. I recall your saying depending on the 2D content, you would favor the vw90 or the RS40.

I really wonder with full tilt calibration to both a vw90 and a new RS series, just how much your observations might change. I say this because, apparently ALL vw90s get special calibration attention by my old Sony friend Rob McDonough and his crew before they are sent out to dealers/distributors. This may account for the very good calibration specs reported for the vw90 tested in the Cine4Home review as well as your 2D performance observations. While there looked to be some room for fine tuning, overall there specs look very good at 6500K.

Anyway... the landscape should be a little clearer by March. Yeah right. Who do you think we are kidding. The choices will no doubt be just as challenging.

You could calibrate the JVC till the cows come home, but it will never hold a candle to the Sony for 2D...(just a different animal)...Anyone who has these two side by side will see what I'm talking about...Looking forward to joerods review....
post #2992 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Why so? Do you have any info to indicate the X104s won't be vertically polarized just like the X103s? Or perhaps you suspect that Xpand will take so long to actually start shipping the X104s we will have all given up on 3D by then.

Software selectable polarization from what I understand. I would have thought that polarization is a fixed, physical characteristic of the lens (then again I really don't know anything about that) but I guess not.
post #2993 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

You could calibrate the JVC till the cows come home, but it will never hold a candle to the Sony for 2D...(just a different animal)...Anyone who has these two side by side will see what I'm talking about...Looking forward to joerods review....

Without knowing exactly how the vw90 and JVC were setup, I don't know how much weight I can give this claim.

There are just too many variables if not optimized can contribute to excellent or less than excellent performance.

This is part of the reason I look forward to some reviews and feedback from owners who have maximized their projector performance by way of good calibration.

XBL GT:

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log:

post #2994 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I can't get into the service menu, no matter how slow or fast I hit the button sequence.

Joe Clark

post #2995 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I don't know that its completely fair to dismiss the JVC's this readily Chuck..I agree that Sony has better 60i motion handling, but I don't think you can discount the black level, shadow detail, film content reproduction, and CMS benefits of the 50 and 60 completely...

To the last point, I won't know how much it matters until March when I get mine calibrated. But I will say that I'm enjoying the performance of the 50 better after 100+ hours than when I first received it. The image appears sharper, cleaner, and generally appealing. I'm even watching some hockey on it now... And for me, 3D performance is better and brighter, though given the paucity of content, this may not be much of a factor for many...

I think JVC does have to fix their CMD technology (unless the artifacts are actually related to HW limitations)

What does it matter anyway? We'll all be here a year from now debating the 95 and the 55 or whatever they call them!

Take care

post #2996 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I can't get into the service menu, no matter how slow or fast I hit the button sequence.

Are you bouncing the signal off the screen or facing the RS directly? Try directly if you haven't..

As Adam Sandler said, try at a medium pace...

post #2997 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Are you bouncing the signal off the screen or facing the RS directly? Try directly if you haven't..

As Adam Sandler said, try at a medium pace...

Slow, fast, medium, bounced, direct. No service menu.

Joe Clark

post #2998 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Just received my RS40 today. Has anyone had syncing issues with an Integra 80.2? I didn't have any sync issues with my HD-1 at all. Furthermore, the RS40 locked up on me while in the setup menu and was completely unresponsive. Had to unplug it and wait for 10 minutes to get it to work again.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #2999 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Slow, fast, medium, bounced, direct. No service menu.

You don't have the standard menu on screen while trying do you? I think the regular menu must not be active..you may know this already, but short of powering down, unplugging for a few minutes, and trying again I'm not sure.

post #3000 of 10013 Old 01-11-2011, 11:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Ric. What makes you believe the angle of the polarization is softeware programmable? I believe commercial theater 3D projectors have a panel which electrically switches polarization by 90 degrees. I suppose it it is possible that the 104 glasses might have something like that but I would expect the costs would be prohibitive. A much cheaper solution would be two sets of clip on polarizers (one set is supplied with the Sony 3D glasses.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page