Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #3331 of 10035 Old 01-15-2011, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I finally got to fire mine up this evening. I need to get the legs for my Chef RPM-U mount unfortunately so I didn't have it in a ideal location. Mark do you know if I have to contact Chief or what is going on with that situation? I purchased the mount with AVS when I bought my RS1 3 years ago.

Out of the box I started watching the Ranger vs Canadians game. At first I was really disappointed with the picture. The blacked looked crushed and the colors were all over. After about an hour it started to change and I was pleased with what I saw. It looked much different then we are normally used too... We noticed color in the ice for one thing. I don't remember ever seeing that at Montreal's rink before. My dad was amazed how black the blacks were. Motion over my RS1 is night and day. The motion in hockey looks fantastic. I played with the Clear motion drive a little but people were getting pissed at me since the screen goes black for a few seconds between settings. I left it on mode 3 and I was very impressed, same as my guests. Everyone agreed there wasn't anything to complain about with motion and sharpness.

After the game, I put UP on. Whoa, colors pop, some character closeups had that 3D feel to it. Big improvement over my RS1. You really see the native contrast shine in that movie. The convergence is spot on(I think blue was off a half pixel vertically in the corners. Nothing to complain about! I hope it stays this way.

One thing I noticed compared to where my RS1 is positioned, I didn't see any sparkles on the Ultramate 150 screen. The Rs40 was about recliner level at the same distance as the RS1 is mounted but about 5 feet lower and I had to use some vertical shift to compensate for having a short HDMI cable. (That's what she said!) lol

Those are just my first impressions but I hope they stay the same as I rack on a few hundred hours.

Joe.T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 10035 Old 01-15-2011, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by diversifiedesi View Post

Hi Dave,
I've been having similar issues with a new Onkyo PR-SC5508 that I installed a few weeks ago. I have the JVC RS-60, which operates fine with another preamp that I have. I have to power the preamp down then power back up in order to get it to sync with the projector. Sometimes, it will not sync no matter what I try. I have updated firmware on the Onkyo and JVC, and still have the same issues. I hooked the hdmi output from the Onkyo to a flat panel tv and had the same issues, so I know its not the projector. I have contacted Onkyo's tech support about the issues, but haven't gotten a solution from them yet.

The only way I can get it to sync properly is to turn on the processing in the Integra pre/pro and set it to "Auto." If I try and set it to "through," it refuses to sync unless it's a PS3 Slim or a Blu-ray 3D disc from an Oppo BDP-93. I'm working with Integra to find a solution.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3333 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I watched tonight's football game on a customer's RS40 I am having calibrated with 10 hours on the bulb. Obviously it will only be a gray scale caiibration, the unit not havng a CMS. I used Darin`s mode serrings but left the iris at 0. After setting contrast and brightness, the picture was really very very good. The red was off no more than two tenths of a pixel and misconvergence or CA of the red was not visible at normal viewing distabces for my 110 inch D screen. I feed the machine 4:2:2 at 1080p 60 with the machine setting on expanded (0 to 255). My lumagen was doing the scaling from ESPN 729p.Uncalibrated I measured really high lumens but I won't post any numbers until calibrated. Throw is a few feet back from closest throw. This mother is sharp, particulary fed by the non ringing scaling of the Lumagen. This is one nice machine.

Mark,

What game are you speaking of...the Steelers game was on CBS and the Packers game was on fox. CBS does 1088i...while Fox does 720p, Neither game was on ESPN....im confused at to you saying the your lumagen was doing the scaling from ESPN 729P.
post #3334 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 03:16 AM

Hi,
I’d like your opinions on the adequate screen material for 3D viewing based on my room set up and constrains.
Screen size: 90”diagonal
Throw distance: 2.8 m – 3m (9,18’ – 9.84’) at most.
Non-dedicated room has light-colored walls and floor with fairly good light control with black out drapes.
Initially, I had considered a ceiling-mounted RS250/Sony HW20 projectors for 2D viewing only.
For this room set up and said projectors, Stewart screen people recommended a 90” luxus deluxus with Firehawk G3 material, but on second thoughts they recommended Greyhawk RS material to avoid possible hotspotting due to the short throw.
Now, as RS250 is on backorder, I decided to go with RS40 to enjoy 3D viewing.
Would I get sufficient foot-lamberts for 3D viewing with the recommended screen material?
I’m aware of the compromise between the need for enough light output off screen for 3D and low screen gain screen material to fight light reflections and hotspotting on my particular setup.
I haven’t yet got back to Stewart regarding 3D application.
Glad to hear comments/recommendations , thanks in advance,
Jose
post #3335 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by diversifiedesi View Post

Hi Dave,
I've been having similar issues with a new Onkyo PR-SC5508 that I installed a few weeks ago. I have the JVC RS-60, which operates fine with another preamp that I have. I have to power the preamp down then power back up in order to get it to sync with the projector. Sometimes, it will not sync no matter what I try. I have updated firmware on the Onkyo and JVC, and still have the same issues. I hooked the hdmi output from the Onkyo to a flat panel tv and had the same issues, so I know its not the projector. I have contacted Onkyo's tech support about the issues, but haven't gotten a solution from them yet.

I have the PR-SC5508 and do not have any sync issues. I always turn on the projector 1st, then the Onkyo and finally the source. Give it a try.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #3336 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post

I have the PR-SC5508 and do not have any sync issues. I always turn on the projector 1st, then the Onkyo and finally the source. Give it a try.

Mike, do you wait until the projector is fully on before turning on your other equipment? Also, I can't get it to sync even if I power cycle all the pre/pro. One final thing, what video resolution do you have the pre/pro set to? Mine refuses to sync if set to "Through," but if it's on "Auto" or 1080p, it will sync. 1080i or 720p won't sync at all.

David Vaughn

post #3337 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Joe. The night game I was watching was the Packers on Fox. I meant to say Fox not ESPN in my post and have corrected my post. I also fixed the typo 729 to 720. The 9 key is next to the the 0 key and spell check won't correct a wrong number. Thanks.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3338 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 216
I have seen a couple of published CIE Diagrams for the RS40/X3 that shows the color space for this projector. The cine4home review of the pre-production X3 and X7 included these. These diagrams showed for the Standard color space setting on the projected, which is supposed to be closest to Rec. 709 standard color space for HDTV, the green color point was the most off. I ran some calibration tests yesterday on my new RS40 (with only between 5 and 10 hours on the lamp), and found that the CIA diagram looked similar to what I had seen published when the projector is operated in Cinema mode and with the color space set to Standard. However, the color points are actually somewhat different, and perhaps overall closed to the rec. 709 standard, when the projector is operated in Film mode with the color space set to Standard. See the two diagrams below.

We do know that colors can change somewhat as the lamp ages, especially over the first hundred hours and that's why I will be waiting a little while to do a full calibration of my RS40. However, I did what I would consider a basic calibration and I ended up with the following settings (Stored as User 1 setting for my 2D viewing only):

Contrast = 0
Brightness = -5
Color = 0
Tint = 0

Red Gain = -1
Green Gain = 0
Blue Gain = -3
Offset Red = -1
Offset Green = 1
Offseet Blue = 5

Note: I have the HDMI input set to "Enhanced" mode (see submenu 2-1 description in the owner's manual) so that it passes thru the full 0 to 255 levels as this makes it a lot easier to correctly calibrate for reference black = 16 and reference white = 235. However, I have let some of the super-white (levels above 235) be displayed to avoid white crush for the cases where the source material does contain video at these elevated white levels.

I also found all of the pre-stored Gamma Settings were poor with low gamma at both end of the curve and high Gamma in the middle (e.g., 1.6 at the ends and 2.4 in the middle) and while I spent some time working on a custom gamma setting I'm not fully satisfied with it so far and will try to get it better when I do a more full-up calibration after I get perhaps 100 hours on the bulb.

CIE - Cinema - 6500K - Color Space Standard - Gamma Normal - PRE-CALIBRATION

CIE - Film - 6500K - Color Space Standard - Gamma Normal - PRE-CALIBRATION

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3339 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Any of the folks with this PJ also have another PJ being used for 2D or "other" duties?

If I got the JVC, I'd use it mostly for 3D, since my other PJ does just fine for 2D material (and I'm not going to get rid of it - I wouldn't get much for it).

Has anyone had success or failure using an HDMI splitter for the run to the two PJs? I'm concerned/curious about whether display devices provide EDIDs only when powered "on" (i.e. not in standby), and therefore if I don't turn on the non-3D PJ the JVC will successfully negotiate for an HDMI1.4 3D signal.

And what about a switch for selecting source? (Any 3D BD player I get will have to bypass my non-HDMI1.4 AVR for 3D, but everything else can go through it for the HD audio and other conveniences.) Any problems to report in those areas?

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #3340 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
After further testing and now more than 30 hours on the bulb I must say that my initial impressions of the RS40 were a little premature. It's like somethimg magical has happened, something that can't be explained or possible. The picture has taken a 180 degree turn and is now silky smooth with NO NOISE!! As gorgeous as the RS20 was this unit is starting to show why it's better in every way, man what a turnaround.

I thank the forum members for all their posts here that their units got better with several hours on them cause if it wasn't for that I would have given up on this unit in the first 10 hours, glad I didn't and kudos to JVC for another fine product. Now I need to get me glasses and an emitter to try 3-D.

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #3341 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Any of the folks with this PJ also have another PJ being used for 2D or "other" duties?

If I got the JVC, I'd use it mostly for 3D, since my other PJ does just fine for 2D material (and I'm not going to get rid of it - I wouldn't get much for it).

Has anyone had success or failure using an HDMI splitter for the run to the two PJs? I'm concerned/curious about whether display devices provide EDIDs only when powered "on" (i.e. not in standby), and therefore if I don't turn on the non-3D PJ the JVC will successfully negotiate for an HDMI1.4 3D signal.

And what about a switch for selecting source? (Any 3D BD player I get will have to bypass my non-HDMI1.4 AVR for 3D, but everything else can go through it for the HD audio and other conveniences.) Any problems to report in those areas?

shinksma

If all you are interested in is 3d, have you thought about grabbing the Acer? People seem to love it and it would be MUCH cheaper than a 40 if 3d is your only goal. There would be no ghosting with the Acer as well, but you might see RBE as some have reported. Just a thought.......

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3342 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I have seen a couple of published CIE Diagrams for the RS40/X3 that shows the color space for this projector. The cine4home review of the pre-production X3 and X7 included these. These diagrams showed for the Standard color space setting on the projected, which is supposed to be closest to Rec. 709 standard color space for HDTV, the green color point was the most off. I ran some calibration tests yesterday on my new RS40 (with only between 5 and 10 hours on the lamp), and found that the CIA diagram looked similar to what I had seen published when the projector is operated in Cinema mode and with the color space set to Standard. However, the color points are actually somewhat different, and perhaps overall closed to the rec. 709 standard, when the projector is operated in Film mode with the color space set to Standard. See the two diagrams below.

We do know that colors can change somewhat as the lamp ages, especially over the first hundred hours and that's why I will be wait a little while to do a full calibration of my RS40. However I did what I would consider a basic calibration and I ended up with the following settings (for 2D viewing only):

Contrast = 0
Brightness = -5
Color = 0
Tint = 0

Red Gain = -1
Green Gain = 0
Blue Gain = -3
Offset Red = -1
Offset Green = 1
Offseet Blue = 5

Note: I have the HDMI input set to "Enhanced" mode (see submenu 2-1 description in the owner's manual) so that it passes thru the full 0 to 255 levels as this makes it a lot easier to correctly calibrate for reference black = 16 and reference white = 235. However, I have let some of the super-white (levels above 235) be displayed to avoid white crush for the cases where the source material does contain video at these elevated white levels.

I also found all of the pre-stored Gamma Settings were poor with low gamma at both end of the curve and high Gamma in the middle (e.g., 1.6 at the ends and 2.4 in the middle) and while I spent some time working on a custom gamma setting I'm not fully satisfied with it so far and will try to get it better when I do a more full-up calibration after I get perhaps 100 hours on the bulb.

CIE - Cinema - 6500K - Color Space Standard - Gamma Normal

CIE - Film - 6500K - Color Space Standard - Gamma Normal

Thanks for posting the charts, Ron. I've played around with all three settings (normal, film and cinema) and I'm conflicted. I like the colors better in film and cinema modes, but the gamma is not as satisfying. Unfortunately, I don't have the skill to do anything with gamma, don't have enough hours on the lamp to have my regular calibrator over, and this particular RS40 is probably going back anyway because of misconvergence. So, I end up bouncing around depending on what I'm watching. Last night, I set up a different mode for football vs movie and TV clips. I prefer having one accurate setting for everything I watch.

Joe Clark

post #3343 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So guys, how would you compare the 2D image to an RS20? Pro's, con's and subjectively - how much of a difference?
post #3344 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dallas View Post

After further testing and now more than 30 hours on the bulb I must say that my initial impressions of the RS40 were a little premature. It's like somethimg magical has happened, something that can't be explained or possible. The picture has taken a 180 degree turn and is now silky smooth with NO NOISE!! As gorgeous as the RS20 was this unit is starting to show why it's better in every way, man what a turnaround.

I thank the forum members for all their posts here that their units got better with several hours on them cause if it wasn't for that I would have given up on this unit in the first 10 hours, glad I didn't and kudos to JVC for another fine product. Now I need to get me glasses and an emitter to try 3-D.

Glad to hear this, Chris. I've sat dumbfounded watching movie clips on the RS40. I had a couple of friends over Friday night, and there were more than a few oohs and aahs over the black level, contrast and color. I'm also waiting impatiently for the 3D emitter - which is supposed to be here Thursday according to UPS tracking. It's torture to see 3D movies flickering away on the screen and realize that I'm just a $79 part away from having big screen 3D at home.

Joe Clark

post #3345 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dallas View Post

It's like somethimg magical has happened, something that can't be explained or possible.

Very interesting.

Is it possible the new panels are exhibiting a form of degeneration when dormant, such as during the transition from the factory to 1st use by the owner, and some how are rejuvenated once the panels are put into use ?

How else could some of the observations be explained?

This theory also kinda fits with the "warm up period" some owners have suggested as contributing to improved image performance.

Hmmmm.... very interesting.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #3346 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, Ron, which Detail Enhance and Sharpness settings are you using on your RS40?

Joe Clark

post #3347 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Hey, Ron, which Detail Enhance and Sharpness settings are you using on your RS40?

Both turned all the way down for the time being.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3348 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

So guys, how would you compare the 2D image to an RS20? Pro's, con's and subjectively - how much of a difference?

Read Sams (damnsam77 who is the OP) posts as he is coming from a 20 and Chris Dallas made a post above who is also coming from a 20.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3349 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Mike, do you wait until the projector is fully on before turning on your other equipment? Also, I can't get it to sync even if I power cycle all the pre/pro. One final thing, what video resolution do you have the pre/pro set to? Mine refuses to sync if set to "Through," but if it's on "Auto" or 1080p, it will sync. 1080i or 720p won't sync at all.

I have the prepro set to "through." I start the JVC, and immediately turn on the Onkyo and then the Oppo. BTW, if you have an Oppo 93, I can only get it to sync if it is set at 1080p, not auto. Aren't hdmi handshakes fun?!?!?!
I have a new JVC X3 coming this week to replace my current one as it has an issue with fine lines of noise in the picture. Hopefully the new one will sync as well as the old one.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #3350 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

One little still photography (and motion picture) trick that seems to work the same way with the RS40's lens. To get accurate focus, zoom in all the way so that the image is as small as it can be on the screen. Focus as well as you can at this point, and the image should remain focused as you zoom out. Do the opposite and you're almost guaranteed to achieve worse results. That is, zoom out all the way and focus as best you can. Zoom back in to the normal range for your screen. It's unlikely the focus will be nearly as sharp as it could be. The trick might get you just a little bit closer to a razor sharp image.

This might help if you zoom to fill a scope screen.

Joe Clark

post #3351 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

zoom in all the way so that the image is as small as it can be on the screen.

But then you'll have a super bright image and you may never want to zoom out again and then you're stuck watching movies zoomed in at only 25 inches :-(

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #3352 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

If all you are interested in is 3d, have you thought about grabbing the Acer? People seem to love it and it would be MUCH cheaper than a 40 if 3d is your only goal. There would be no ghosting with the Acer as well, but you might see RBE as some have reported. Just a thought.......

I was under the impression that the Acer requires the use of a HTPC. I'm not interested in that approach.

If the Acer can be used by just plugging into a BD player and/or Cable/Sat box for ESPN 3D etc, just like the RS40, then I would very much consider it.

shinksma

post #3353 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

shinksma

I use a two projector setup, my RS40 is basically used for blu rays and 3D and my Marantz is for HDTV and sports. I like the Marantz because its a DLP, but the RS40 looks better on sports but not by far. HDTV is a toss up because it will never look as good as blu rays anyways so I don't even want to be disappointed watching the RS40 on it. I don't really watch HDTV as much anyways.
post #3354 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I use a two projector setup, my RS40 is basically used for blu rays and 3D and my Marantz is for HDTV and sports. I like the Marantz because its a DLP, but the RS40 looks better on sports but not by far. HDTV is a toss up because it will never look as good as blu rays anyways so I don't even want to be disappointed watching the RS40 on it. I don't really watch HDTV as much anyways.

Which switches/splitters do you use?

shinksma

post #3355 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

shinksma

Look at the Octava HDMI devices. Unlike some of the more expensive brands of HDMI switchers and distribution amps I've read about (with HDMI handshake issues), the Octava ones I've used just plain work. They almost always cost a lot less, too. They have an HDMI over CAT5 matrix switcher that I'd like to know more about, but I don't have a pressing need for it right now. Monoprice also has some splitters, but I don't have any experience with them.

Joe Clark

post #3356 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I watched tonight's football game on a customer's RS40 I am having calibrated with 10 hours on the bulb. Obviously it will only be a gray scale caiibration, the unit not havng a CMS. I used Darin`s mode serrings but left the iris at 0. After setting contrast and brightness, the picture was really very very good. The red was off no more than two tenths of a pixel and misconvergence or CA of the red was not visible at normal viewing distabces for my 110 inch D screen. I feed the machine 4:2:2 at 1080p 60 with the machine setting on expanded (0 to 255). My lumagen was doing the scaling from FOX N 720p. Uncalibrated, I measured really high lumens but I won't post any numbers until calibrated. Throw is a few feet back from closest throw. This mother is sharp, particulary fed by the non ringing scaling of the Lumagen. This is one nice machine.

Mark,

Glad to hear you are enjoying my projector With the calibration variations reported from various posters, I think getting the thumbs-up from a couple of pros is a little more reassuring than a sealed factory box.

Since I'm in the PNW, my DirecTV Fox feed has been cutoff due to contract dispute between those two. I resurrected a "HD" antenna from the garage just to be watching the "Seagulls" get slaughtered on a plasma right now. Having moved to N. Idaho from Denver only a couple years ago, I'm a little torn to cheer for Seattle or Culter now for the Bears.

BTW, I am also contemplating the Lumagen mini - so we may be able to share setup numbers eventually. Keep those numbers handy from the tests being run today The Lumagen definitely appears to fill in a number of gaps - especially with the RS40 not having a CMS, fixing the 3D ESPN SbS issue with DirecTV, and screwing around with resolutions in a superior way and avoid having my Denon AVR do that. I think the Lumagen's quality scaling of vitually all content to 1080p should be a big bonus for the big screen viewing. Just need to figure out how to sneek this by the wife and before the AVS deal expires

I'm still in search of a lower cost, good quality motorized & tensioned screen with > 1.3 gain and AT (acoustic perforation available)... it's kind of a tall order. I haven't requested any AT samples from the screen makers yet. There's such a huge gap in price and quality between Elite PowerGain (1.8) - perforated vs a Stewart 130 (1.3) w/microperfX2. If anyone has suggestions in this area - please post. Thanks.

PS: If you don't want me to call you at 1:55AM EST, then don't email me at 1:35AM requesting me to call. LOL.

Coolplazma's HT Den project. Early project info. Needs update with final results.
post #3357 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I forgot. Since my Octava is a matrix switcher, it has to negotiate with multiple sources and displays at the same time. Although it occasionally takes a few seconds for it to figure out which combination of sources and displays work together, it gets it right almost all the time. The only significant exception was a Bravia LCD (now replaced with a Samsung 3D plasma). It caused the occasional glitch with HTPC sources. Never did quite get that resolved, but even it was a minor problem. I figured it was just the Sony. A buddy of mine was having issues between his Sony HDMI AVR and a Sony Pearl, and was told by Sony tech support that they had HDMI incompatibilities. I've never used many Sony products in my home theater. So far anyway, the Sony BDP-S570 3D Blu-ray player seems to play nice in my home theater (but it's not going through the Octava.)

Joe Clark

post #3358 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post

I have the prepro set to "through." I start the JVC, and immediately turn on the Onkyo and then the Oppo. BTW, if you have an Oppo 93, I can only get it to sync if it is set at 1080p, not auto. Aren't hdmi handshakes fun?!?!?!
I have a new JVC X3 coming this week to replace my current one as it has an issue with fine lines of noise in the picture. Hopefully the new one will sync as well as the old one.

I have a new 80.2 on the way to do some comparison testing. I think there's something wrong with the HDMI board in the pre/pro that's causing a conflict. It won't sync with any video (except the PS3--weird) when set to through....not even a XBOX360 signal sent via component to the 80.2 and then transcoded to HDMI output. Also, it won't pass 1080p/24 UNLESS it's 3D, then it goes through without any issues.

David Vaughn

post #3359 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 PM

[quote=zombie10k;19656273]It's a bit obvious that we all have different opinions/peceptions as to what we find acceptable in regard to brightness. Tonight is my first night playing around with the RS40 in 2D mode on my 142" 2.8 HP screen. Projector is on-axis, 1.5 feet above the head for maximum gain. I have the aperature at 0 (highest setting), bulb on bright and changed a few other settings. For me, this is 'just right', I personally wouldn't be pleased with a dimmer image, nor a low gain screen. I am also in a bat-cave.
QUOTE]

Hi Jason (and others like Toe, damnsam77, etc)

I wonder if you would mind helping me out here seeing you seem to have direct knowledge on the X3 and HP - I am new, but I have read every post on all the HP and X3 threads but still have some queries...

I'm about to buy an JVC X3 and a Da-lite Cosmopoliton Electril HP (2.4 gain not the 2.8 gain sadly) 295cm wide (116") 16:9 screen and just want to be sure before I go and spend a huge amount of cash (for me at least).

I basically want to confirm that the X3 and HP are going to be the best match.

I have worked out a custom ceiling mount which will drop the X3 down to about 1.8m above the floor level and the viewing head heights will be about 0.9m off the floor. The seats are 4.5m from the screen and the projector about 5m from the screen.

What do you think? Should I go with the HP (ie is the viewing in the cone) or would a normal gain white tensioned screen be better?

Thanks
Dave

PS Has anyone been routing the 3D signal via an Onkyo SR 608 - and will that be a good choise for the X3?
post #3360 of 10035 Old 01-16-2011, 03:35 PM

I Need advice from the rs40/x3 ownners, I'm goin to replace my SONY vpl vw60, and I wonder if the jvc RS40 is brighter and and really sharper than the vw60, or I need to go with the rs50/x7.- I try to get a real difernce - to worth the money

thanks in advance
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page