Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2011, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

So I take it that when the glasses pass over that we should be seeing a black bar instead of the colored squares in the black area?

That dithering video I think is similar to what I have seen, but its a bit hard to tell on that all green screen. The few times I have looked for this/seen it has been with real world material mostly (CARS and The Simpsons Movie I noticed this on when I was up at the screen, and I have also seen it on menu screens and some test patterns on the AVS709 disc). At normal seating, this is a non issue though in my setup.

What bothers me more is this trailing off the letters that I spoke of a while back...........I have been noticing this in the opening credits of some films lately (District 9 last night I could see it from my couch)..........it does not show up in normal material though (meaning normal non credit movie type scenes) so I have not given it much more thought since 2d looks amazing (assuming a good source) in general. I noticed this on Sams 40 as well, so its not just my unit (his was not quite as obvious as mine, but that could just be due to different screens or some other factor) which is another reason I have put it out of my mind for the most part. Not a biggie, but something I hope can be improved upon with next years models (maybe my RS1 had this as well, but I never noticed it). I am sure it is more noticeable having the new brighter HP screen as well.

I would like to stress the fact that these are all nit picky type things though and overall this 40 is definitely the best projector I have ever owned..........I am at ~110 hours on the lamp and loving it! Both 2d and 3d overall have been fantastic

Toe, the left eye should see colored boxes only on bottom white *and* black bars, while right eye should see the boxes only on upper white and black bars. The ghosting against black is very minimal while against white it is quite noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post

Just finished watching the blu rays How to train your dragon and 30 Days of night to test the black levels of this pj. The video was so impressive that I could see more background detail in the dark scenes never seen before with my RS1. The night scenes were inky black. Will be watching the Underworld movies and Alien movies next to appreciate even more this beast.

Ian B

Sounds like my kind of movies! What about Dark Knight? I'm coming from an RS1 as well so I can't wait to see the black level improvement that you are seeing.

I was willing to hang a 150 lbs projector (crt) from the ceiling to get great black levels. Now we can get them in a digital.

Great time to be a projector fan!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

By the way, the 3D demo scene that I started with tonight was the opening of Grand Canyon Adventure. It has striking 3D graphics, mixed with brilliantly colorful live action footage, sharp contrast, deep blacks and a powerful, enveloping sound track that has sonic impact that's a perfect complement to the visuals. It was a huge hit, and it's hard to imagine a better way to start a 3D demo.

No one said a word about ghosting (cause nobody saw any).

Same here Joe, all I could hear was " Oh my God" or "un-f---ing real" over and over .
And you see them reaching out to touch the bubbles that werent really there.
Great demo stuff!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 22
finally got my projector up and running, Loving it.

First watch toy story 3. Loved every bit of it.

can't wait for 3d with this bad boy will post pictures later this week
Old 01-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Sounds like my kind of movies! What about Dark Knight? I'm coming from an RS1 as well so I can't wait to see the black level improvement that you are seeing.

I was willing to hang a 150 lbs projector (crt) from the ceiling to get great black levels. Now we can get them in a digital.

Yes, watched Dark Knight last Thursday and this movie is now in a whole new level of blacks that I had never seen with my RS1. Also, the shadow detail is so deep as well as the bat suit itself. The IMAX scenes also made you feel like you are on the movie set. Could not see any ghosting nor was I trying to look for it as I was fully immersed in the movie.

Ian B
Old 01-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Could someone comment on the performance of JVC glasses vs. xpand glasses when watching a 3D movie on a Seymour screen. Thanks!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, watched Dark Knight last Thursday and this movie is now in a whole new level of blacks that I had never seen with my RS1. Also, the shadow detail is so deep as well as the bat suit itself. The IMAX scenes also made you feel like you are on the movie set. Could not see any ghosting nor was I trying to look for it as I was fully immersed in the movie.

Ian B

Hi Ian,

I thought that ghosting was strictly a 3D issue? Have I gotten this wrong?

Thanks.

Larry
Old 01-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post

I have the same setup as well...but here's the workaround (at least for me it does...) Make sure that you select (HDMI) Sub for Output instead of using (HDMI) Main. This will solve the problem with syncing...but introduce another set of problems altogether...

When you play 3D movies from a Bluray player, you need to make sure that the HDMI output is using Main to work. I dun know whether its the fault of the Onkyo AVR or that of the RS40.

Same goes for my PopcornHour PCH C200 syncing issue as well...it only accept 1080p/60 and not 1080p/24...the workaround is to the a/m step.

What gives...

So does that mean you have to move the hdmi cable to the other output when you use the sub setting?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:

No one said a word about ghosting (cause nobody saw any).

This surprises me to be honest.........I noticed a fair amount in this title as I have mentioned. I will get some timestamps at some point and report back and see if you can see it in these scenes as well. It sounds like there may be some decent/significant unit to unit variation as far as this goes from what Zombie is noticing which sucks One more "roll of the dice" type thing we have to think about when buying one of these Or, maybe there is some other variable which is contributing to this (setup, human/brain and how it interacts with 3d, other???)?

What settings are you using for 3d again Joseph? Where do you have your emitter placed?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuomi View Post

Here are two videos I just posted to youtube. It's nice to see the glasses and the screen in slow motion action

The other video is what I think many of you have discussed here as being noise.

Nice videos, thank you. Could you please confirm whether the dithering video was shot in slow motion too?

Re: the ghosting, this would seem to suggest that these D-ILA panels are better at alternating to black quickly from a mid-tone, vs. alternating to white? Alternating to black well makes sense given how, as previously described in this thread by Cine4Home, JVC's panels go to black for a period between alternating 3D images anyway (while the glasses switch). But I'm not sure why it would more troublesome for them to alternate between full white and a mid-tone (vs. full white and full white) if there is black in between regardless.

-- Peter
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Got the game going in 3d but this workaround is a pain in the a$$.

Ian B

What exactly is this "work-a-round?"...Sorry, I am really behind on this thread...been gone for a while...
Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

I haven't sat down with pencil and paper to do a proper tally, but it feels like ghosting with the RS40 has improved by 80-90% over my Samsung plasma. The difference is that dramatic. The cool thing about the RS40 is that it doesn't ghost where another of its strengths is readily apparent - in dark, high contrast shots. I've read that the JVC loses half its contrast in 3D, but the high native contrast, in addition to the added punch of 3D, doesn't make it feel like that much. And as someone with primarily a DLP projector history, I'm still in awe of the beauty of the RS40 for 2D, especially in dark scenes. The high native contrast is stunning.

I'm with you concerning crosstalk, though. As little of it as I see with the RS40, I'd prefer if it weren't there at all. Still, for a first gen 3D product, and as a projector that does 2D better than any other projector I've ever owned, it's going to provide me a lot of fun. If they solve the orange/blue ghosting, and get the 3D contrast to match the 2D contrast, I'll almost certainly upgrade again next year.

I spent a lot of time in 2010 going to see 3D demos. I've seen all the flat panel 3D displays (LCD and plasma) that have come to town - Panasonic, Sony, LG, Samsung. I've seen the Mits DLP rear projectors. I haven't seen the Acer DLP projector, nor the new Sony SXRD. Of the ones I have seen, the RS40 is easily the best 3D display - no contest whatsoever in my mind. The Panasonic plasma beats the Samsung plasma in some areas, and vice versa. All the LCDs ghost far too much for my taste. The RS40 I can live with happily until the next generation rolls around. Very happily. And unlike puny flat panels, this JVC behemoth throws one BIG picture.

I'm looking forward to next year's 1080p 3D projectors and really good 2D to 3D conversion from a 3D Blu-Ray player or a separate processor - it's coming and that's when I'll get excited again.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Ian,

I thought that ghosting was strictly a 3D issue? Have I gotten this wrong?

Thanks.

Larry

You are right Larry, I was thinking of edge enhancement that was brought up when the blu ray first came out. No issues with the RS40 with this movie, it was spectacular as far as color detail and black levels.

Ian B
Old 01-23-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just picked up my new X3 and noticed in the service menu that it has new firmware: 2010.12.14.2-O
I was under the impression that 1.2 is the latest one (which is the one you can download from JVC website). Does anyone know more about this?

A Never Ending Quest Τowards Visual Nirvana..
Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 AM

All, any idea if one can get the emitter in white?

I want to get a white pj and it wouldnt look very good if the emitter was in black!

I assume that the emitter must go onto of the pj - or in my case below it as it will be ceiling mounted hanging down off a pole.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:

I moved to an X7 from an RS1. Although the X7 has a slightly higher CR then the RS40 i can assure you that you are going to be blown away by the RS40 OTB. Increased black levels, brighter lamp, and (at least to me), just a better picture in every regard. Then there is the 3D, its not a fad, not after seeing it on my X7
Old 01-23-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones View Post

Nice videos, thank you. Could you please confirm whether the dithering video was shot in slow motion too?

Re: the ghosting, this would seem to suggest that these D-ILA panels are better at alternating to black quickly from a mid-tone, vs. alternating to white? Alternating to black well makes sense given how, as previously described in this thread by Cine4Home, JVC's panels go to black for a period between alternating 3D images anyway (while the glasses switch). But I'm not sure why it would more troublesome for them to alternate between full white and a mid-tone (vs. full white and full white) if there is black in between regardless.

-- Peter

The dithering video was shot in 1920x1080 60Hz progressive, and I just slowed it down 50% afterwards so that youtube keeps all frames. If you upload 60fps video there, they drop every other frame. You can read more detailed info from youtube video description.

Yes, the black frame insertion can be seen better with 600fps capture I also did. Though it seems that 720p60 3D mode does not insert black frames. It would be interesting to see if there was a way to turn off the black frame insertion in 24Hz 3D mode and use all that time for panel to settle to desired color instead.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

Why? You like hanging upside down from a ceiling in a box constantly spinning and spinning just to keep some silly bulb from getting too warm?

nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Sorry, just couldn't leave it alone...

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

I feel kind of sick because I swapped out an AV7005 for this unit (wanted XT32) and have ZERO sync issues with the AV7005.

Let me know if you find anything out, I would think its some sort of issue between just the JVC and Onkyo as I don't think the Onkyo unit is faulty....?

Glad to hear you didn't have sync problems with your AV7005. That is what my RS40 will be connected too!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I'm looking forward to next year's 1080p 3D projectors and really good 2D to 3D conversion from a 3D Blu-Ray player or a separate processor - it's coming and that's when I'll get excited again.

Sony's upcoming BDP-S780 BD player (April, $250) has 2D to 3D conversion on it's feature list. It'll be interesting to hear if it does a decent job of it.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ian B

Gulp!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggumsmax View Post

I moved to an X7 from an RS1. Although the X7 has a slightly higher CR then the RS40 i can assure you that you are going to be blown away by the RS40 OTB. Increased black levels, brighter lamp, and (at least to me), just a better picture in every regard. Then there is the 3D, its not a fad, not after seeing it on my X7

Double Gulp!!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtuomi View Post

Toe, the left eye should see colored boxes only on bottom white *and* black bars, while right eye should see the boxes only on upper white and black bars. The ghosting against black is very minimal while against white it is quite noticeable.

Thanks

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Why? You like hanging upside down from a ceiling in a box constantly spinning and spinning just to keep some silly bulb from getting too warm?

nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Sorry, just couldn't leave it alone...

shinksma

Very funny!
Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

to damnsam77 who wrote

Color saturation: up to your discretion (i have mine at 25)

Admittedly I have just started reading the thread and sams comments are on the first page, but I cant find a color saturation button on the rs40.

Please advise.

Is there another tweak thread for this projector?
Old 01-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

Admittedly I have just started reading the thread and sams comments are on the first page, but I cant find a color saturation button on the rs40.

Please advise.

There is a calibration thread started here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1307888&page=1
Old 01-23-2011, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

So does that mean you have to move the hdmi cable to the other output when you use the sub setting?

No need...it can remain at the HDMI 1 (Primary) output.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post

Sony's upcoming BDP-S780 BD player (April, $250) has 2D to 3D conversion on it's feature list. It'll be interesting to hear if it does a decent job of it.

Considering that Sony's 3DTVs are generally considered to have the worst 2D-to-3D conversion of any of the major brands, I would guess that the new players annouced at CES earlier this month from Panasonic or Samsung (also with 2D-to-3D conversion) will likely do a better job for this function.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 01-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

Please advise.

There is a calibration thread started here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1307888&page=1

thank heavens
Old 01-23-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

This surprises me to be honest.........I noticed a fair amount in this title as I have mentioned. I will get some timestamps at some point and report back and see if you can see it in these scenes as well. It sounds like there may be some decent/significant unit to unit variation as far as this goes from what Zombie is noticing which sucks One more "roll of the dice" type thing we have to think about when buying one of these Or, maybe there is some other variable which is contributing to this (setup, human/brain and how it interacts with 3d, other???)?

What settings are you using for 3d again Joseph? Where do you have your emitter placed?

There are a few instances of minor ghosting that I notice in GCA. One is a small tree in the foreground as the filmmaker and his daughter set up a tripod to take shots of the Canyon (it's the most severe, and doesn't go away with warmup). Another two are in the opening scene. One is of the kayaker about to go over the falls (yellow/orange jacket against the white water), and another is of yellow/orange credits in a water bubble. There are also some orange credits at the start and end of the film, which show ghosting. I showed my brother-in-law the opening scene today, and there was ghosting for about the first ten-fifteen minutes of the demo, until the projector warmed up. After that it was very clean.

I experience about 80 to 90% less ghosting with the RS40 than I do with the Samsung plasma.

I'll look for ghosting at the times you note.

Joe Clark