Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 122 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3631 of 10005 Old 01-23-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My RS40 now has 28 hours on it and has been giving me intermittent problems with start-up. Every fourth or fifth power-on results in no picture and the lights flashing three times. The manual says that this is "abnormal electrical circuit". So I am going to invest in a power conditioner that will support the RS40, a Denon AVR, a Denon VP, and a BR player. I'm not anxious to spend a fortune but want something that will cure an "abnormal electrical circuit". Any suggestions?

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3632 of 10005 Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

My RS40 now has 28 hours on it and has been giving me intermittent problems with start-up. Every fourth or fifth power-on results in no picture and the lights flashing three times. The manual says that this is "abnormal electrical circuit". So I am going to invest in a power conditioner that will support the RS40, a Denon AVR, a Denon VP, and a BR player. I'm not anxious to spend a fortune but want something that will cure an "abnormal electrical circuit". Any suggestions?

http://www.google.com/search?source=...&oq=belkin+pur

Joe.T
post #3633 of 10005 Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

There are a few instances of minor ghosting that I notice in GCA. One is a small tree in the foreground as the filmmaker and his daughter set up a tripod to take shots of the Canyon (it's the most severe, and doesn't go away with warmup). Another two are in the opening scene. One is of the kayaker about to go over the falls (yellow/orange jacket against the white water), and another is of yellow/orange credits in a water bubble. There are also some orange credits at the start and end of the film, which show ghosting. I showed my brother-in-law the opening scene today, and there was ghosting for about the first ten-fifteen minutes of the demo, until the projector warmed up. After that it was very clean.

I experience about 80 to 90% less ghosting with the RS40 than I do with the Samsung plasma.

I'll look for ghosting at the times you note.

Sounds good. I will report back when I watch this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3634 of 10005 Old 01-23-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I I can't imagine a power conditioner solving Jack's problem.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3635 of 10005 Old 01-23-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I I can't imagine a power conditioner solving Jack's problem.

Mark,

You could well be right. I was assuming that my electrical outlet was possibly putting out dirty power and that the RS40 had some type of sensor that told itself on occasion that it shouldn't turn on because it wouldn't operate properly. I placed a call to JVC last Monday and stated my problem to the 1st line rep. He said he would get back to me after talking to engineering about this but he hasn't called yet.

The projector has been good other than this problem.

Jack
post #3636 of 10005 Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone watched Piranha 3D with their RS40? I watched it, and it just felt like something wasn't right. I switched from XpanD 103 to the JVC to make sure it wasnt the glasses. Aside from the bad 3d effect because of the conversion, it felt like something was way off... I don't know if it was "flicker" or what the proper term is... in a way it felt like the two frames didn't align properly, but I cant really describe it properly...

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #3637 of 10005 Old 01-23-2011, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I had the same problem. It had something to do with leaving the RS40 on standby after using it once. Powering it up the following time MAY work or I may find that 2 lights flashing 3 times (the red blinking light is the fan cooling down... it shuts off when the fans have stopped, but the other 2 lights continue blinking at the same frequency).

I found that after I put the projector on standby and then wait for the fans to power off and I shut down the power fully to the RS40, the next time I powered it on, it would work.

I returned the RS40 but there weren't any in stock for an exchange. Ended up trading for an RS60.
post #3638 of 10005 Old 01-23-2011, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Has anyone watched Piranha 3D with their RS40? I watched it, and it just felt like something wasn't right. I switched from XpanD 103 to the JVC to make sure it wasnt the glasses. Aside from the bad 3d effect because of the conversion, it felt like something was way off... I don't know if it was "flicker" or what the proper term is... in a way it felt like the two frames didn't align properly, but I cant really describe it properly...

I too am not familiar with the terminology but I'd expect it to be called "ghosting"?

I suspect I wasn't really looking out for it on my RS40 but since I first saw it on the 60, I now see it just about everywhere!!

Particularly bad with the menus of Despicable Me where the edges of the minions show tonnes and tonnes of ghosting (orange against yellow).
post #3639 of 10005 Old 01-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I FIXED MY ISSUE WITH MY 5508....

I hope this works for any of you, when then 5508 is on press and hold vcr/dvr and return at the same time, it will say video processing use, let go of return and press return again and it will say skip. Just toggle until it says skip and everything worked as it should, this is at least a work around until we hear from JVC or Onkyo!!!!
post #3640 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I experience about 80 to 90% less ghosting with the RS40 than I do with the Samsung plasma.

I'll look for ghosting at the times you note.

You know, the JVC is at my limit for acceptance in terms of ghosting. Generally its fine, but there is the odd scene where it really catches the eye. Dogone said that the Sony is a bit worse. But 80 to 90% more ghosting?? I am so glad I didn't invest in an LCD or plasma 3D panel!
post #3641 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 06:09 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

I had the same problem. It had something to do with leaving the RS40 on standby after using it once. Powering it up the following time MAY work or I may find that 2 lights flashing 3 times (the red blinking light is the fan cooling down... it shuts off when the fans have stopped, but the other 2 lights continue blinking at the same frequency).

I found that after I put the projector on standby and then wait for the fans to power off and I shut down the power fully to the RS40, the next time I powered it on, it would work.

Well for what it's worth, I'm not an owner of this yet (hopefully soon), but I learned a long time ago with my old Studio Experience (Sanyo) that I had to turn it off ALL THE WAY, by shutting off the power switch on my surge strip (I have one just for it on it's own outlet) or the projector developed a "blue spot" due I guess to one of the panels slightly warping with the small constant power trickle in standby going through.

I know the two things aren't really technically related, but I just think it's a good practice to totally shut down complicated electronics such as these projectors and of course computers. I don't even want them plugged in when I'm not using them for a while in case of power surges (protectors or not, don't really trust them).

I'll be following the same practice with my new X3.

S A M 33
post #3642 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

You know, the JVC is at my limit for acceptance in terms of ghosting. Generally its fine, but there is the odd scene where it really catches the eye. Dogone said that the Sony is a bit worse. But 80 to 90% more ghosting?? I am so glad I didn't invest in an LCD or plasma 3D panel!

I should have skipped the first generation of flat panel 3D sets altogether. I knew that, but I didn't have the patience. I made a conscious effort not to stress too much about the ghosting, but I'm afraid it might have been impossible with plasma-type ghosting at 110". Fortunately, the RS40 is so much better.

When I can drag myself away from the JVC, I'm going to sit down with a piece of paper and figure out the ratio of ghosting I see on the Samsung versus the RS40. I wouldn't be surprised if it's even more than 9:1. When it's there on the 40, I can't miss it, but it's just not there that often.

Joe Clark

post #3643 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

I too am not familiar with the terminology but I'd expect it to be called "ghosting"?

I suspect I wasn't really looking out for it on my RS40 but since I first saw it on the 60, I now see it just about everywhere!!

Particularly bad with the menus of Despicable Me where the edges of the minions show tonnes and tonnes of ghosting (orange against yellow).

That could be the term, I dunno... it like my eyes couldnt correctly focus anytime there was motion...When something should've jumped out at me, i didnt get that effect, instead I got a blurry mess with colors going nuts... I guess this movie was a 2D to 3D conversion, so that may explain some of it, but when the opening credits came out, instead of the credits popping out, it was just blurry with colors messing up (similar to the piranha jumping out)... maybe it was crosstalk? I don't know.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #3644 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

I did. There were a few scenes out of focus but not too bad IMO. This movie was in deed a 2d/3d conversion BUT it was shot knowing they were going to convert it. If you watch the extras you find out some pretty cool stuff. For example, after every scene they "reshot" the background so that there is less computrer generated content to fill the "void" between the left and right eyes. Well I'm not explaining this right but it was fascinating.

The 3D depth was really good I thought, but there was virtually no pop-out effects which I find disapointing. Come on have a few piranhas jump at me!

Not the best 3D movie but fun and quite frankly this is all I ask of Hollywood. Entertain me.

GO HABS GO!
post #3645 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 07:55 AM

If I set the projected image borders exactly to the screen border and after switch off then on again doesn't stays there. Someone else have this problem?

PROJECTOR :JVC (3D)DLA-X3 ,SCREEN: BYDIUM 108" FIX FRAME ,RECEIVER :ONKYO TX-SR876 , MEDIAPLAYER :DUNE SMART D1
SPEAKERS :front: JBL STUDIO L890, rear: JBL STUDIO L830, center: JBL STUDIO LC1
post #3646 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgar View Post

Same here Joe, all I could hear was " Oh my God" or "un-f---ing real" over and over .
And you see them reaching out to touch the bubbles that werent really there.
Great demo stuff!

Grand Canyon 3D is one of the BEST "under $20" IMAX titles, I have about almost 30 Blu-ray 3D titles, and I would easily place this one in my top 6 titles, as far as 3D bang for the buck.

Other than the intro credits with the bubbles, another 3D worthy chapter is the "River Fun" chapter. Awesome stuff!
post #3647 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

I did. There were a few scenes out of focus but not too bad IMO. This movie was in deed a 2d/3d conversion BUT it was shot knowing they were going to convert it. If you watch the extras you find out some pretty cool stuff. For example, after every scene they "reshot" the background so that there is less computrer generated content to fill the "void" between the left and right eyes. Well I'm not explaining this right but it was fascinating.

The 3D depth was really good I thought, but there was virtually no pop-out effects which I find disapointing. Come on have a few piranhas jump at me!

Not the best 3D movie but fun and quite frankly this is all I ask of Hollywood. Entertain me.

I agree about this movie, it may be the weakest of the bunch, it has about as much depth as Resident Evil, with only a couple of significant 3D pop out scenes. But the T&A more than make up for it, except for some of the scenes where you only get to see the T's since the A's were brutally eaten up by the Piranhas REALY GORY STUFF guys! Not for weak stomachs!

Also I heard that SAW 3D coming out this Tuesday got almost a reference 3D demo quality rating (not to mention the lionsgate 7.1 treatment). I personally hate all SAW movies, they are TERRIBLE in my opinion, but I still pre-ordered it since it's on "sale" for $24.99 at Amazon, and it got 4.5/5 stars for the 3D presentation. But it's yet another very gory and disgusting movie.

There are currently ZERO 3D movies set to be released after March 2011, so I really hope Universal, Disney, Warner, and Sony make some 3D release announcements very soon, because we DreamWorks and Paramount will continue to give us the finger unless we buy more Samsung TVs.
post #3648 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did I just not notice the "Flashing Green LED" light, while the projector is operating, until now? Or is there something wrong with my RS40?

The picture looked great in 2D and 3D, but as long as the projector was on yesterday while watching the AFC/NFC games, there was a Green LED light flashing in the front. I could swear I'd never noticed a flashing light before, it used to be solid Green.

Any ideas?
post #3649 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Did I just not notice the "Flashing Green LED" light, while the projector is operating, until now? Or is there something wrong with my RS40?

The picture looked great in 2D and 3D, but as long as the projector was on yesterday while watching the AFC/NFC games, there was a Green LED light flashing in the front. I could swear I'd never noticed a flashing light before, it used to be solid Green.

Any ideas?

I'm 99.9% sure I have no lights on when the projector is in use.
post #3650 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2000 View Post

Admittedly I have just started reading the thread and sams comments are on the first page, but I cant find a color saturation button on the rs40.

Please advise.

Is there another tweak thread for this projector?

I was just refering to the basic "Color" settings where you can also adjust brightness/contrast/Hue/sharpness...etc. They can all be found under "Pic. Setting" button on the bottom right of the remote.
post #3651 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:

I should have skipped the first generation of flat panel 3D sets altogether. I knew that, but I didn't have the patience. I made a conscious effort not to stress too much about the ghosting, but I'm afraid it might have been impossible with plasma-type ghosting at 110". Fortunately, the RS40 is so much better.

When I can drag myself away from the JVC, I'm going to sit down with a piece of paper and figure out the ratio of ghosting I see on the Samsung versus the RS40. I wouldn't be surprised if it's even more than 9:1. When it's there on the 40, I can't miss it, but it's just not there that often.

Have you checked out "Despicable Me", I had a lot of ghosting on the RS40.
I dont have too many titles, but its the worst. (as far as ghosting) all else with this title looks good!
post #3652 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post

Could someone comment on the performance of JVC glasses vs. xpand glasses when watching a 3D movie on a Seymour screen. Thanks!

The JVCs have the SLIGHTEST (Most Negligible) lighter tint, I cannot explain it, but it was so insignificant on my CHALK 4500 material (same as Seymour AV and old SMX AT material 1.1 gain). I decided to go 100% with the Xpands x103, since that screen material retained virtually no polarization.
post #3653 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any ideas?

Green light solid - projector just turned on and powering up
Green light flashing - Hide mode enabled

So if it was flashing while there was an image, that is very strange. It does not indicate an error condition, so maybe just a glitch. Power off at mains and start-up again and tell us if it still does it.
post #3654 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Green light solid - projector just turned on and powering up
Green light flashing - Hide mode enabled

So if it was flashing while there was an image, that is very strange. It does not indicate an error condition, so maybe just a glitch. Power off at mains and start-up again and tell us if it still does it.

I'd done that already, did a power off and even unplugged the power cable. Turned it back on and it continued flashing while watching for the duration of the two games (almost 6 hours), the image was not hidden, and it looked as perfectly normal and sharp as can be, everything was functional on the remote, lens control..etc. But it was flashing GREEN the whole time. So I turned it off after the games were over last night, and will try it again today.
post #3655 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

No kidding! I'm thinking of buying a 3D flat panel - I'm going to be very, very careful. I might have to wait another year or two.
post #3656 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd done that already, did a power off and even unplugged the power cable. Turned it back on and it continued flashing while watching for the duration of the two games (almost 6 hours), the image was not hidden, and it looked as perfectly normal and sharp as can be, everything was functional on the remote, lens control..etc. But it was flashing GREEN the whole time. So I turned it off after the games were over last night, and will try it again today.

What happens if you "hide" and then stop hiding?
post #3657 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just hooked up my replacement rs 40. I checked and compared the firmware numbers and this is what I found. They are all the same except for the 3rd line. My old one had 2010.11.11.1-0 and the new one had 2010.12.14.2-0 Im assuming the new one has the updated firmware. Can someone verify please?

Thanks in advance.
post #3658 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing when I read that............to me, that would be unwatchable! Makes me appreciate the RS40 that much more! I watched HTTYD again last night and was just as amazed as when I watched it a few weeks ago. Also watched Legend of the Guardians again yesterday which is great.

post #3659 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also I heard that SAW 3D coming out this Tuesday got almost a reference 3D demo quality rating (not to mention the lionsgate 7.1 treatment). I personally hate all SAW movies, they are TERRIBLE in my opinion, but I still pre-ordered it since it's on "sale" for $24.99 at Amazon, and it got 4.5/5 stars for the 3D presentation. But it's yet another very gory and disgusting movie.
I noticed this got a very good 3d report over at bluray.com.........looking forward to checking it out, and the audio should be good if the other films are any indication

post #3660 of 10005 Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 650
what is the easiest way to install the firmware update if it hasnt been done already? Ive never done this before.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page