2Likes

Old 01-31-2011, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ View Post

According to ProjectorCentral's throw calculator, the RS2 and RS40/50/60 have roughly the same throw. Does that sound accurate?

119"
RS2 11'7" - 23'11"
RS40 11'9" - 23'11"

All models from the HD1/RS1 up to the latest models have the same throw/screen size ratios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Its one thing to "play", but its another to troll and be an ass..........DejaVu has definitely crossed the line into trolling status at this point. He has beaten his argument to death and we all uderstood his one sided "opinion" weeks ago.

Hang in there John as the 40 is worth the wait The 2d/3d performance overall for the price (especially your pre-order price) cant be beat!

Just watched "A Bugs Life" and talk about eye candy........WOW. I have found on some of these animated movies that I prefer "wide 1" over "standard"........not as accurate, but it gives some of these titles a nice kick and some great pop. Every time that butterfly spread its wings was just amazing as far as the color/detail..........lots of great scenes in this one though. I even watched the film with CMD mode 3 which I have never done for a whole film, but I actually enjoyed it for this animated movie.

You're right and I apologize. I'll keep my teasing to the Acer threads - you should go over there, I think you'll find it amusing. The only thing I can think of in my defense is that my posts are usually in response to someone's post looking at things in a total black and white way.

Anyway, DO NOT BUY SAW 3D! Don't do it unless you enjoy watching people being cut to ribbons in glorious 3D! Man oh man, it's going to take me a month or two to get through this, if I ever do. Now Step Up has a cheesey story, but the 3D is spectacular and the dancing is amazing - a lot of knee and hip replacements will be on order in the next 20 to 30 years! I also watched Under the Sea - another great IMAX documentary. Nothing like touching noses with a potato fish and some sea lions.

Where did you get A Bug's Life? That one would be fun.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
You're right and I apologize. I'll keep my teasing to the Acer threads - you should go over there, I think you'll find it amusing. The only thing I can think of in my defense is that my posts are usually in response to someone's post looking at things in a total black and white way.

Anyway, DO NOT BUY SAW 3D! Don't do it unless you enjoy watching people being cut to ribbons in glorious 3D! Man oh man, it's going to take me a month or two to get through this, if I ever do. Now Step Up has a cheesey story, but the 3D is spectacular and the dancing is amazing - a lot of knee and hip replacements will be on order in the next 20 to 30 years! I also watched Under the Sea - another great IMAX documentary. Nothing like touching noses with a potato fish and some sea lions.

Where did you get A Bug's Life? That one would be fun.
I agree that SAW was intense/disturbing........that was the first time I have had to dodge human body parts flying at me!

That Potato Cod fish scene is amazing (the whole disc is great actually).......Sam played that for me when I was at his house a while back and I went out and bought the disc a few days later.

A Bugs Life was "just" the 2d version. I kept thinking how cool that movie would be in 3d though as I was watching it since it was one of the more 3d looking 2d films I have seen.

I am hoping to get a copy of Step Up, BOLT or DM by doing a trade for SAW with someone. Curious to see those 3. I love BOLT as a movie as well, so that would be my first choice, but if I can land any of the 3 I would be happy.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaowner View Post
Sorry but WOW thats a bold statement. Lets see... hmmm... RS40 $4500 (no RBE) or the H5360 $500 (no ghosting). Now lets look a little deeper, for $4000 more I get (after 20+ minute warm up) little to no ghosting (certain titles only ) and zero RBE... or for $4000 less I get zero ghosting with all titles and some RBE (if you can see it ) with the Acer.

Yeah right!

Okay I leave you RS40 owners in peace. But I just couldn't resist.
Plasma, you must either be trolling for fun, or maybe just pi**ed that you cannot spend three grand on an RS40. Either ways, you must crazy to think that any of us paid a penny of $3300-$3500 for the RS40. And I will second TOE's statement, and I am sure about 3 dozen other posters on this very thread will too, regarding the RS40/X3 being the ABSOLUTE best bang for the bang for a 2D/3D projector.

Up until you see this projector properly demo-ed at someone's home or at a high end properly tuned showroom, you will not understand how amazing this projector is. The satisfaction rate from what I have read on this thread and the other 3 or more new JVC thread has to exceed 95%. For every 20 new JVC owners of RS40/50/x3/x7 out there there maybe 1 or 2 dissatisifed or less satisifed owners who did not like it. I am not making this up. If you have the time, just tally up all the total feedback from verified owners on this thread alone, and you will see that even the most initial non-believers and nay-sayers are blown away by this projector in both 3D and 2D.

Even Chris from JVC, who's tested them first hand, was amazed at how much better the RS40 looks once properly set up in a nice home theater, and I have a 1.1 low gain screen too, which is 11ft wide, at an 18 ft throw. Even then the picture in 3D looks amazing and virtually ghosting-free. Better than any plasma, LED, LCD flat panel I have ever demo-ed at stores or at a friend's home. I even have a 55" LED 240Hz Sony 3D TV, and while I love it, it cannot hold a candle next to the RS40. Not even close!

Last but not least, if any of us new RS40 owners wanted your wonderful ACER projector so bad, we could have bought them already, we could have bought 6 or 7 of them and distributed them among friends and family over Christmas, but we did not because we appreciate the quality of a JVC projector. So please take your ACER discussions out of this thread, this is an RS40/X3 owner's thread, not a comparison with a $500 ACER projector requiring DLP link emitter, DLP compatible 3D glasses, the wonderful RBE effect and worst of all, an HTPC equipped with BD-ROM, special 3D grahics card, HD-15 cable runs, and everything else that would be a major turn-off to every J6P and soccer mom out there. The RS40 is attractive even at $3000 more than your crappy ACER because it offers the best 2D and 3D experience in one unibody projector using existing technologies such as HDMI, existing PS3s, or just about any $100-$150 3D BD player, and virtually any screen fabric out there, while still offering the best black levels on the market, the highest native contrast ratio, and a virtually ghost and flicker free gorgeous 3D image, and let's not forget once of the top two or threee 2D projectors under $10,000. Now take THAT back to your ACER owner's thread and quit trolling in ours.

P.S: Using a emoticons about a half dozen times in one paragraph does not make your argument more believable. What are we 12?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77

Plasma, you must either be trolling for fun or might be crazy to think that any of us paid a penny of $3300-$3500 for the RS40. And I will second TOE's statement, and I am sure about 3 dozen other posters on this very thread will too, regarding the RS40/X3 being the ABSOLUTE best bang for the bang for a 2D/3D projector.

Up until you see this projector properly demo-ed at someone's home or at a high end properly tuned showroom, you will not understand how amazing this projector is. The satisfaction rate from what I have read on this thread and the other 3 or more new JVC thread has to exceed 95%. For every 20 new JVC owners of RS40/50/x3/x7 out there there maybe 1 or 2 dissatisifed or less satisifed owners who did not like it. I am not making this up. If you have the time, just tally up all the total feedback from verified owners on this thread alone, and you will see that even the most initial non-believers and nay-sayers are blown away by this projector in both 3D and 2D.

Even Chris from JVC, who's tested them first hand, was amazed at how much better the RS40 looks once properly set up in a nice home theater, and I have a 1.1 low gain screen too, which is 11ft wide, at an 18 ft throw. Even then the picture in 3D looks amazing and virtually ghosting-free. Better than any plasma, LED, LCD flat panel I have ever demo-ed at stores or at a friend's home. I even have a 55" LED 240Hz Sony 3D TV, and while I love it, it cannot hold a candle next to the RS40. Not even close!

Last but not least, please take your ACER discussions out of this thread, this is an RS40/X3 owner's thread, not a comparison with a $500 ACER projector requiring DLP link emitter, DLP compatible 3D glasses, the wonderful RBE effect and worst of all, an HTPC equipped with BD-ROM, special 3D grahics card, HD-15 cable runs, and everything else that would be a major turn-off to every J6P and soccer mom out there. The RS40 is attractive even at $3000 more than your crappy ACER because it offers the best 2D and 3D experience in one unibody projector using existing technologies such as HDMI and virtually any screen fabric, offering the best black levels on the market, the highest native contrast ratio, and a virtually ghost and flicker free gorgeous 3D image. Now take THAT back to your ACER owner's thread and quit trolling in ours.
Amen

GO HABS GO!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post
Plasma, you must either be trolling for fun, or maybe just pi**ed that you cannot spend three grand on an RS40. Either ways, you must crazy to think that any of us paid a penny of $3300-$3500 for the RS40. And I will second TOE's statement, and I am sure about 3 dozen other posters on this very thread will too, regarding the RS40/X3 being the ABSOLUTE best bang for the bang for a 2D/3D projector.

Last but not least, if any of us new RS40 owners wanted your wonderful ACER projector so bad, we could have bought them already, we could have bought 6 or 7 of them and distributed them among friends and family over Christmas, but we did not because we appreciate the quality of a JVC projector. So please take your ACER discussions out of this thread, this is an RS40/X3 owner's thread, not a comparison with a $500 ACER projector requiring DLP link emitter, DLP compatible 3D glasses, the wonderful RBE effect and worst of all, an HTPC equipped with BD-ROM, special 3D grahics card, HD-15 cable runs, and everything else that would be a major turn-off to every J6P and soccer mom out there. The RS40 is attractive even at $3000 more than your crappy ACER because it offers the best 2D and 3D experience in one unibody projector using existing technologies such as HDMI, existing PS3s, or just about any $100-$150 3D BD player, and virtually any screen fabric out there, while still offering the best black levels on the market, the highest native contrast ratio, and a virtually ghost and flicker free gorgeous 3D image, and let's not forget once of the top two or threee 2D projectors under $10,000. Now take THAT back to your ACER owner's thread and quit trolling in ours.

P.S: Using a emoticons about a half dozen times in one paragraph does not make your argument more believable. What are we 12?

Amen brother! Sam, you forgot to mention the "wonderful" placement flexibility with the ACER.........I was not kidding when I said I would literally have to put that projector in my lap for my 1.78 image to get the benefit of my HP screen..............a 1.1 zoom lens.......seriously?! I forget the exact range, but it literally fell in the range of my lap........ The other thing to is that when we are comparing prices, lets not forget to factor in the price of either a HTPC or the Optoma box when considering the ACER which seems to conveniently get overlooked by these ACER fans commonly.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Last but not least, please take your ACER discussions out of this thread, this is an RS40/X3 owner's thread,

For a minute I couldnt figure out what thread I was in
Old 01-31-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I think its funny how the Acer is being compared to the RS40. I think 99% of RS40 owners paid less than $3300 for theirs also. Where can you find a better 2D projector for less than 5K? And its a 1080p 3D projector, which shows little ghosting at that. I never seen a 720 3D projector but I'm guess a 1080p 3D image shows a better picture. Some scenes look like I'm there filming.

Also, who has a HT without 2D? What other 2D projector will you group with your Acer? A RS10, 15, or 20? Isn't the RS40 better on 2D than those? My friend has a RS20 and when I saw his last year I could not wait to upgrade my panny 4000. After he saw my RS40, he immediately put his up for sale, so I know a second projector that matches the RS40 will be well over $3000.

I just don't understand the comparison. You will spend way more if you want to match a RS40 with the Acer. You will need to buy a used RS20 or better with the Acer. Unless you have a better 2D projector, I can understand, but if you don't, you need to look into seeing one in action. Just because it does 3D for less, doesn't make it better because its really not

Quote:

Amen brother! Sam, you forgot to mention the "wonderful" placement flexibility with the ACER.........I was not kidding when I said I would literally have to put that projector in my lap for my 1.78 image to get the benefit of my HP screen..............a 1.1 zoom lens.......seriously?! I forget the exact range, but it literally fell in the range of my lap........ The other thing to is that when we are comparing prices, lets not forget to factor in the price of either a HTPC or the Optoma box when considering the ACER which seems to conveniently get overlooked by these ACER fans commonly.

Exactly, and that's not even the half of it. So many cons with the ACER when it comes to streamlined home cinema viewing, let's not even mention the 720P vs 1080P fact. That should shut'em up!

Look Acer fans out there, we're GLAD you love your cheapo ACER 3D projector so much, and hey if that's all you can afford, please don't take it out on the ones who can spend more and endugle themselves with an RS40. There maybe dozens on this forum with the technical capability and research to get 720P 3D to look good on an ACER via a PC, HD-15 monitor cable run, DLP 3D peripherals and all the needed peripherals. But 99% of the world out there would rather watch an old CRT tube than have to hassle with putting the ACER 3D set up together, not to mention all the limitations a cheap projector can add to the equation. There is an old saying that everyone knows, "you get what you pay for." This is what makes the JVC RS40 so attractive, this is why JVC cannot keep up with the demand, it's ease of use out of the box and the streamlined consumer-friendly operation to display 3D out of the box that even a retarded monkey can figure out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

For a minute I couldnt figure out what thread I was in

Yeah, NO SH**! Can we get a moderator in here to weed those trolls out. This is BD vs HD-DVD all over again. Fine, you picked your technology, stick with it if you love it so much. You don't see us trolling in your crappy Acer thread teasing you about the RS40 or RS50, because THAT would be rude.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Re: Re-Calibration after 65 hours

My friend, who calibrated my RS40 just after I purchased it, came over and re-calibrated it. Before he did, he read the entire calibration thread (yes, a good friend). Below are the details:

Calibrated using ChromaPure and a VideoEq
- Screen Size: 100" 16x9
- Screen Type:/Gain: ST130 (1.3 Gain)
Throw Ratio: 2.1
Hours on Lamp: 65

Color Mode: User1
Contrast 15
Brightness -6
Color 10
Tint 1
Sharpness 0
Gain Red -2
Gain Green -3
Gain Blue 0
Offset Red -9
Offset Green -5
Offset Blue 0
Color Space Standard
Lens Aperature 0
Lamp Power Normal
Hdmi Input - Enhanced

"I like to watch" - Chauncey Gardiner in Being There
Old 01-31-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Un...Blu-ray/17444/

Pretty cool documentaty about the 7 wonders of our solar system. Wacthed the whole thing last night with the wife and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Minor ghosting here and there, but great presentation and 3D effects. Definitely worth the $15 price tag.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:22 PM

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an RS40, but 3d is my main reason for upgrading so the level is ghosting is the main concern for me.

I'm trying to take subjectivity out of the equation, can anyone post some ghosting test screens to compare. (I have a panasonic TX-P42GT20B 3d tv for example), I would be interested to see how it compares to something like that or even that lovely acer projector we have been hearing so much about.

Also has anyone played games on this with a pc and have any feedback on the experience. (i've seen plenty of comments on ps3/xbox but keen to hear thought of the pc game experience)

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
God D**m it, 3 hours ago this AXXX projector crap was here and still being argued, come on, where is the moderator to get this troll out of here and end any conversation about it. If I want to learn or read about that "other" projector, won't even call it by name, I will go to that thread. If there is not one, then start one. If you want to compare the RS40 and that one, then start a thread by all means, it is free. Get the frack out of here about that other projector, do you not know the name of this thread, it is about the RS40, period.

You don't want to see me when I am mad.

Ian B.

P.S. Sorry but had to vent about this idiot and now I feel much better. Did I mention that I love this projector for 3d and 2d? Well, I do!!!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:

+1

And now, for some sober mundane, realworld feedback for any lurkers left!

I own the Oppo-BDP-93 and the JVC RS40 and I received my emitter/glasses over the weekend. I assembled the emitter base to the emitter, placed the emitter on the top of the projector and connected it to the jack on the back of the JVC.

My report:

After having run the projector for a half hour, making sure that the panels were nice and warm and ready to play hard-ball, I put in the Blu-ray, selected the 3D version of the movie, set the projector into 3D mode and put on the glasses.

It just worked and worked flawlessly.

Coraline 3D was sharper and clearer than the theater 3D

If you like 3D you will love these projectors' presentation.

I did not experiment with the two Gamma's available in 3D mode because in my setup and playing Coraline, there was no black crush.

'Nuff said!

-----------------------------------------------

On the noise "issue":

After all the FUD, intentional or not about this, I am hesitant to add information which may be used for trolling but this is AV Science!

I can confirm that standing within 2 feet of the screen with any image on pause (though greycale ramps make it easier to spot), there is a noise pattern that was not present in the RS10-era projector series.

This is with ALL sharpness, NR controls at 0, CMD OFF, every processing option I could find set to 0 or off.

There is a pattern which makes me believe that it is amenable to solution without major refactoring, but probably beyond the scope of a firmware upgrade.

If you stand back as far as will allow you to still see the "mosquito" noise, you will note that the patterns have a swirl-like periodicity, as if the cycle of the pattern is confined to defined subdivision of the panels.

If the new panel architecture addresses the panels similarly to the G15 series, there are sub sets of the addressing grouped into "sub-panels".

It appears that the new modulation scheme and perhaps the attempts to address the color fringing and "sharpness" issues through different PWM drive algorithms, have created some heterodyning effects on top of the addressing patterns.

Whatever periodicity is present in the refresh addressing, a pseudo-random cycle has been superimposed on top of that and it shows up as subtle mosquito noise, but the mosquitoes are in formation and appear to be like squads or battalions grouped on a Roman battle field, or like watching the same image on multiple monitors at Video Only, there are parallel patterns swirling which stay located according to a sub-panel division of refresh.

I went into this detail in the hopes that this problem, though imperceptible at the normal viewing position, may be an unintended consequence of fixing some of the above-mentioned issues and may be a no-brainer to address when the dust settles.

Despite this one area of regression, this machine is an engineering achievement to be proud of, and especially at the price point!

Once again, the world of HT addicts can be easily divided into two camps:

One camp looking for movie-like experience at home for an affordable price, available on the market today (temporary backorders notwithstanding) buys the JVC projectors and enjoys the movies!

The other camp, a motley crew, contains those clinging to other technology which delivers less (and trying to justify their decision), those with buyer remorse, buyer paranoia and those frozen with buyer indecision, along with those suffering from a much worse case of OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder) than the rest of us here, for whom nothing will suffice or satisfy, and last but not least, those poor souls who simply enjoy attempting to piss on other people's good feelings and experiences to mask their own lack thereof.

Despite any impressions that some of us perfectionists may be conveying, these new JVC's are unquestionably a step forward in the state-of-the-art; the only contention seems to be how large is the step!

=>><<=robobob
Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I totally agree that the moderators need to clean up this thread and take action to stop re-occurrance. (Please remove this post too).

Part of the problem with a troll is that they keep coming back if you feed them. Sometimes they even bring along friends to be feed. A lot of times, if you ignore them, they'll go away. But when they don't, a very big stick is recommended.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

Old 01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisBP View Post

My friend, who calibrated my RS40 just after I purchased it, came over and re-calibrated it. Before he did, he read the entire calibration thread (yes, a good friend). Below are the details:

- Screen Size: 100" 16x9
- Screen Type:/Gain: ST130 (1.3 Gain)
Throw Ratio: 2.1
Hours on Lamp: 65

Color Mode: User1
Contrast 15
Brightness -6
Color 10
Tint 1
Sharpness 0
Gain Red -2
Gain Green -3
Gain Blue 0
Offset Red -9
Offset Green -5
Offset Blue 0
Color Space Standard
Lens Aperature 0
Lamp Power Normal

First of all, thanks for the update. From the looks of your Contrast and Brightness settings, I'm guessing that your HDMI setting is for enhanced (or whatever PC level 0-255 BTB WTW is called). Is that correct?

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

Old 01-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Pretty cool documentaty about the 7 wonders of our solar system. Wacthed the whole thing last night with the wife and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Minor ghosting here and there, but great presentation and 3D effects. Definitely worth the $15 price tag.

Did you guys trip out whenever there was a scientist talking on screen? The 3d during those scenes was amazing I thought!

Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunti View Post

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on an RS40, but 3d is my main reason for upgrading so the level is ghosting is the main concern for me.

I'm trying to take subjectivity out of the equation, can anyone post some ghosting test screens to compare. (I have a panasonic TX-P42GT20B 3d tv for example), I would be interested to see how it compares to something like that or even that lovely acer projector we have been hearing so much about.

Also has anyone played games on this with a pc and have any feedback on the experience. (i've seen plenty of comments on ps4/xbox but keen to hear thought of the pc game experience)

Thanks.

Yunti, I will make this an easy decision...I have seen the Panny 3D and I also own the Sony 55HX800 which is a top rated 3D TV anywhere you pull it up on the internet, as far as user reviews. The JVC RS40 blows both the Sony and Panasonic (add Samsung and LG) when it comes to the gorgeous 3D image it throws on the screen, even large low gain screens. The main key is you got to have 100% lighting control in the room, not even a sliver of day light!!! The same applies for any other cinema projectors, natural light is the enemy.

As far as ghosting, you can see it in some movies, and in others it's virtually non-existent. But the vast majroity of 3D bluray content out there looks ghosting-free or nearly ghosting-free. I can assure you there is NOTICEABLY less ghosting on the RS40 when compared with the most expensive and best selling 3D flat panels out there. Not to mention the flicker is non-existent to most people who've owned an RS40 so far. A couple of people mentioned noticing some very minor flicker, but I cannot see it for the life of me, and I know exactly what flicker looks like because my 55" HX800 Sony suffers from it, especially on bright scenes. the RS40 on the other hand shows very little and minor ghosting, and to most people, no flicker!

When it comes to gaming, the RS40 doesn't look as good as the much smaller 50"-60" flat panels because, let's face it, all of these 360/PS3 games are in 720p, so they will naturally look sharper and more crisp in 3D on a 55" TV versus a 130" screen. There is simply not enough pixels to go around and make 3D look as sharp as 3D Bluray movies which are in Frame Packed 3D 1080P format. but even with that being said, playing COD-3D and Gran Turismo is HELLA FUN on the RS40.

Yeah I just brought HELLA back!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you guys trip out whenever there was a scientist talking on screen? The 3d during those scenes was amazing I thought!

There were a few scientists interviewed throughout. I'll have to go back and see which part are you talking about. But the 3D was awesome!
Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisBP View Post

Any chance you could post the Chromapure report for ths calibration? I'm interested in seeing how close the colour gamut is without the benefit of an external CMS. However, I've just ordered a Mini3D incase I upgrade my HD350 for an X3 (RS40) at some future point, so it would be moot for me anyway, but I'm interested to see where JVC are at WRT oversaturation.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Old 01-31-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Yunti, I will make this an easy decision...I have seen the Panny 3D and I also own the Sony 55HX800 which is a top rated 3D TV anywhere you pull it up on the internet, as far as user reviews. The JVC RS40 blows both the Sony and Panasonic (add Samsung and LG) when it comes to the gorgeous 3D image it throws on the screen, even large low gain screens. The main key is you got to have 100% lighting control in the room, not even a sliver of day light!!! The same applies for any other cinema projectors, natural light is the enemy.

As far as ghosting, you can see it in some movies, and in others it's virtually non-existent. But the vast majroity of 3D bluray content out there looks ghosting-free or nearly ghosting-free. I can assure you there is NOTICEABLY less ghosting on the RS40 when compared with the most expensive and best selling 3D flat panels out there. Not to mention the flicker is non-existent to most people who've owned an RS40 so far. A couple of people mentioned noticing some very minor flicker, but I cannot see it for the life of me, and I know exactly what flicker looks like because my 55" HX800 Sony suffers from it, especially on bright scenes. the RS40 on the other hand shows very little and minor ghosting, and to most people, no flicker!

When it comes to gaming, the RS40 doesn't look as good as the much smaller 50"-60" flat panels because, let's face it, all of these 360/PS3 games are in 720p, so they will naturally look sharper and more crisp in 3D on a 55" TV versus a 130" screen. There is simply not enough pixels to go around and make 3D look as sharp as 3D Bluray movies which are in Frame Packed 3D 1080P format. but even with that being said, playing COD-3D and Gran Turismo is HELLA FUN on the RS40.

Yeah I just brought HELLA back!

Thanks for your comments damnsam. I'm not clear how any ambient light has an impact on ghosting? Wouldn't it just lower the contrast so there would be potentially less impact?

To be fair I'm not sure if I have seen the Sony model you mentioned, but generally the Sony tv's are known to be not great for 3d (because of ghosting), especially when compared to a plasma. (The sony's have certainly been the weakest tv I have tested).

The danger is with a descriptive view is most people haven't seen much 3d on different projector's, tv's etc... so it's difficult to judge the frame of reference on just a comment (although also still useful to get feedback). So it would be great if someone could post a few comparison pics if possible. That should help get a better feel for it.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Quote:

So you guys were impressed? Maybe you could add your thoughts to the 3D Content forum, because the impression I got looking for reviews of the various titles was that this particular title (The Universe - 7 Wonders...) was not very interesting and the 3D was not very captivating.

Do you think it was it the size of the screen that helped?

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

So you guys were impressed? Maybe you could add your thoughts to the 3D Content forum, because the impression I got looking for reviews of the various titles was that this particular title (The Universe - 7 Wonders...) was not very interesting and the 3D was not very captivating.

Do you think it was it the size of the screen that helped?

shinksma

Jesus YES! SIZE does matter!!!!!! (That's what she said)

GO HABS GO!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM

First impresion of Lumagen Mini 3D: it seem to be taking a 1080i image to the next level right out of the box. Real test is tomorrow when I put it up to the task of upgrading my Canadian sat 1080i signal during the Caadiens/Washington game. I'm praying that it makes the picture better. That is the last thing that is not to my liking in my HT.

BTW, with a 2-3 minute test watching the Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring DVD, the Mini seems at least as good as the OPPO-93 to upscale to 1080p... Seems like a very promising little device. Thanks Mark Haflitch for advocating that device.

GO HABS GO!
Old 01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey gang. Had a hard time this weekend getting the Directv 3d channels to come with the workaround and finally gave up. Decided later to try one last thing, I went to the pj hdmi settings and under 3d switched it from auto to side by side. I then had to switch out of the 103 channel as I was seeing 2 images side by side. When I came back to the 103 and 106 channels, I had a perfect 3d picture with sound through my Pioneer vsx-1020.

I hope this helps someone else having the same problem.

Ian B
Old 01-31-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

Judging by the title, I thought it was a porno lol.

Yeah... I've got that one too Mike... but this Hole is even Scarier!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your comments damnsam. I'm not clear how any ambient light has an impact on ghosting? Wouldn't it just lower the contrast so there would be potentially less impact?

To be fair I'm not sure if I have seen the Sony model you mentioned, but generally the Sony tv's are known to be not great for 3d (because of ghosting), especially when compared to a plasma. (The sony's have certainly been the weakest tv I have tested).

The danger is with a descriptive view is most people haven't seen much 3d on different projector's, tv's etc... so it's difficult to judge the frame of reference on just a comment (although also still useful to get feedback). So it would be great if someone could post a few comparison pics if possible. That should help get a better feel for it.

I have seen the Samsung and Panny Plasmas and no offense, they are a joke when it comes to the 3D image they throw in comparison, just based on sheer size alone and not even comparing either flicker or ghosting which is nearly non-existent in the RS40 compared to those two. I had personally demo-Ed both the Samsung LED and Plasma in addition to the coveted Panasonic. They all just pale in comparison with the comparably priced RS40z

As far as natural light, I was just giving you general projector advice. It had nothing to do with ghosting. It just sounded as if this was going to benyour first projector.

Look, I know you're looking for a subjective and non-biased opinion, but other than the Sony 90ES and the upcoming Sharp, there isn't much out there in the way of 2D/3D cinema projectors under $10k. You don't need to take my word on it, just look at which owner threads are buzzing with ownership excitement and positive word of mouth, and it will be the JVC RS40/50/x3/x7 owner threads, and not because it's baseless hype. There are about two dozen owners posting now, and you don't hear them regretting their purchase. Instead they are still wow-ed at the great 3D and 2D image this projector is throwing. And for the RS40 owners, they paid nearly one third to half what the Sony costs for a better 3D image.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

First impresion of Lumagen Mini 3D: it seem to be taking a 1080i image to the next level right out of the box. Real test is tomorrow when I put it up to the task of upgrading my Canadian sat 1080i signal during the Caadiens/Washington game. I'm praying that it makes the picture better. That is the last thing that is not to my liking in my HT.

BTW, with a 2-3 minute test watching the Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Ring DVD, the Mini seems at least as good as the OPPO-93 to upscale to 1080p... Seems like a very promising little device. Thanks Mark Haflitch for advocating that device.

Thanks for the feedback on the Mini3D, I've got mine on order along with a '93. Then I'll be set to go when a used X3 turns upfor a decent price later this year.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Old 02-01-2011, 03:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Re: My re-calibration after 65 hours

The Hdmi Input is Enhanced (I edited my post to include that info)

If anyone wants the revised Chromapure report, PM me with their email address. I'm traveling this week so it may be Sunday before I can respond though I will try.

"I like to watch" - Chauncey Gardiner in Being There
Old 02-01-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:

I have seen the Samsung and Panny Plasmas and no offense, they are a joke when it comes to the 3D image they throw in comparison, just based on sheer size alone and not even comparing either flicker or ghosting which is nearly non-existent in the RS40 compared to those two. I had personally demo-Ed both the Samsung LED and Plasma in addition to the coveted Panasonic. They all just pale in comparison with the comparably priced RS40z

As far as natural light, I was just giving you general projector advice. It had nothing to do with ghosting. It just sounded as if this was going to benyour first projector.

Look, I know you're looking for a subjective and non-biased opinion, but other than the Sony 90ES and the upcoming Sharp, there isn't much out there in the way of 2D/3D cinema projectors under $10k. You don't need to take my word on it, just look at which owner threads are buzzing with ownership excitement and positive word of mouth, and it will be the JVC RS40/50/x3/x7 owner threads, and not because it's baseless hype. There are about two dozen owners posting now, and you don't hear them regretting their purchase. Instead they are still wow-ed at the great 3D and 2D image this projector is throwing. And for the RS40 owners, they paid nearly one third to half what the Sony costs for a better 3D image.

Agreed there really isn't much competition out there (and really nothing at the moment) although I was very close to considering a dual projector setup (particularly as I already have one projector which would work well). Going with either polarised or preferably using the infitec approach. However those are both an extreme hassle and although the infitec approach is superior to the shutter method used in the RS40 it only works for movies and not for games (unless you buy their convertor etc..). It's a shame as this would work at 1080p and 60fps for each eye which is a substantial improvement over the 24hz limitation of the HDMI 1.4 spec.

So I think the RS40 is probably the way to go for now (but it's hard to know what's round the corner).

But thanks for your feedback on the comparison vs the plasmas, that is very good to know. If it turns out to have less ghosting than my panasonic plasma then I'll be very impressed and that will certainly be good enough for this stage in 3d development.

Now can anyone PM me details of a good dealer? (I'm based in the UK).
Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Now can anyone PM me details of a good dealer? (I'm based in the UK).

Have you tried the AVForums thread? Go to http://www.avforums.com/forums/3d-pr...-owners-thread.