post #4321 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I know this is a JVC thread, but have a look at AVForums review of the Sony

http://www.avforums.com/review/Sony-...or-Review.html

As a lot of the focus in this thread is on 3D, others who have purchased the JVC may be happy to read his section on this. Therefore, deliberately, I will not be posting this on the Sony thread in case I get shot down in flames, despite only being the messenger!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 12:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

This is similar to my brand new setup. I too am impressed with the quality of the 2d and 3d image. I would love to see a link of your setup,

Some photos of the room expansion and conversion from Living-Room to Home Theater Room.

Original room was formal living room 12' by 15'.
We were able to move the exterior wall out by 5' so the room's final size was 17' x 15'

Link to photos

Rick
post #4323 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I know this is a JVC thread, but have a look at AVForums review of the Sony

http://www.avforums.com/review/Sony-...or-Review.html

As a lot of the focus in this thread is on 3D, others who have purchased the JVC may be happy to read his section on this. Therefore, deliberately, I will not be posting this on the Sony thread in case I get shot down in flames, despite only being the messenger!

This does echo the statement of a few ex-VW90 owners, the crosstalk has been the most commonly discussed con for Dogone and a couple of others. But on the other hand it really does seem like the Sony is quite possibly the better projector overall when it comes to 2D presentations, primarily because of the better motion drive on the Sony. But for me the 3D is so amazing on the RS40, for 1/3rd the price of the Sony, and it still offers the best black levels on the market, and the highest NCR, yielding what I see a spectacular 2D picture.
post #4324 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 75
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/index.php?reviewid=163

Looks like this review agrees with some here that the Sony has some major 3D problems. Is there major variance among the projectors? This would be a problem all on its own. JVC looks like the current 2D/3D all in one solution. I did post this on the Sony thread - shoot away!
post #4325 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

This does echo the statement of a few ex-VW90 owners, the crosstalk has been the most commonly discussed con for Dogone and a couple of others. But on the other hand it really does seem like the Sony is quite possibly the better projector overall when it comes to 2D presentations, primarily because of the better motion drive on the Sony. But for me the 3D is so amazing on the RS40, for 1/3rd the price of the Sony, and it still offers the best black levels on the market, and the highest NCR, yielding what I see a spectacular 2D picture.

The Sony is cheaper than the X7/RS50 in the UK, so the comparison is very hard this year. The JVC prices are more globaly aligned.

However, your overall sentiment is absolutely right. In terms of bang for the buck, and stellar performance in both 2D and 3D, the X3/RS40 is the sweetspot for sure.
post #4326 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Anyone try out "Philips 3D TV Glasses PTA03".

They cost 30% less then Xpand 103's and heard there compatible ?

I'd love anyone's performance comparison on Philips VS x103 VS JVC's
post #4327 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5z06 View Post

HERE is the Philips web page for these glasses. It would be interesting to find out if they really are compatible. They look very similar to the Xpand glasses and perhaps Philips (like JVC) are also OEM'ing their 3D glasses from Xpand. They will almost certainly have vertical orientation for their polarizing element (as do the X103s), so if they work with the JVC projectors you would not want to use them if your projection screen maintains a significant amount of the polarization of the projected light.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4328 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

HERE is the Philips web page for these glasses. It would be interesting to find out if they really are compatible. They look very similar to the Xpand glasses and perhaps Philips (like JVC) are also OEM'ing their 3D glasses from Xpand.

I would love to know as well, I was not even aware that they are compatible, and 30% cheaper? meaning two pairs will cost around $150? Where do I sign up! I just need to see an actual review by someone who's pairing them with the RS40/50/60

EDIT: I cannot find the philips 3D glasses for less than $95, which is only $10 more than AVS' price for the X103's (shipped). Plus they seem to be more of an international availability, primarily UK e-tailers. So I am not so sure this is worth the hassle now, just to save $10.
post #4329 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

The Sony is cheaper than the X7/RS50 in the UK, so the comparison is very hard this year. The JVC prices are more globaly aligned.

However, your overall sentiment is absolutely right. In terms of bang for the buck, and stellar performance in both 2D and 3D, the X3/RS40 is the sweetspot for sure.

wow, that much cheaper? why such a drastic price hike in the US? No wonder they're not selling much here. I think if they were to go in the $5000-$6000 range, buyers would show a little more interest, at least the ones getting ready to spend that much on an RS50. Either ways, the ghosting issue is far more windespread with the VW90, but again to many people (primarily the ones who have not seen a good 3D demo) it's more about 2D presentation to them.

I wonder if the Sony's crosstalk has to do with the same "warm-up/foreplay period the JVC's have?
post #4330 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

stevenjw,

I just looked over your "DVD/HD-DVD/BD collection" WOW!... are those hard-copies or ISO's..Impressive library!

Yeah, those are all hardcopies! I've tried to take advantage of trade-up offers, freebies, Black Friday and other sales, local store closing clearances, and a lot of used purchases (AVS, GoHastings, etc). They easily fill four solid bookshelves and many more are stored in media storage boxes.

I've been working on this collection for many years. In hindsight, I should have rented a lot more!

Need to start selling on eBay and Amazon to make room and support my habit.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #4331 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:

I would love to know as well, I was not even aware that they are compatible, and 30% cheaper? meaning two pairs will cost around $150? Where do I sign up! I just need to see an actual review by someone who's pairing them with the RS40/50/60

EDIT: I cannot find the philips 3D glasses for less than $95, which is only $10 more than AVS' price for the X103's (shipped). Plus they seem to be more of an international availability, primarily UK e-tailers. So I am not so sure this is worth the hassle now, just to save $10.

30% based on the msrp price of $130.00 for xpands.

Philips are 90.00 out the door shipped (from what I found).

Not sure on how they perform...
post #4332 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 PM

Sorry if this is a newbie question...

Projector Centrals calculator recommends projector throw to be 16'-4". and the JVC owner manual recommends 12'-6" ... unless I'm reading one of them incorrectly. Which is correct? I can put the projector anywhere in this range.

If both are options, what do you recommend? I assume that the image will be brighter with the 12'-6" mounting. I like a bright image, especially for the 3D experience... But, I really want the best posible picture in all categories.

Equipment details:
JVC RS-40 (Not delivered yet)
ST-130 123-inch screen. (brand new) (1.3 gain) (107" wide by 60" high) (16:9)
Light controlled room. flat black ceiling and screen wall
Chief RPA 281/CMS 115 mount (downrod length to be determined)
First row 13-feet eyeball to screen
Second row 19-feet

I think that's all you need to answer?
post #4333 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:

HERE is one online dealer selling them for $90.99 with free shipping. They are listed as having automatic on (like the JVC glasses) and they are not listed as Universal (unlike the X103s). So they appear to just be an Xpand OEM that may be the same as the JVC glasses except for the orientation of the polarizing element. If that's the case then the real question is are they compatible with the JVC's IR signals.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4334 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecaravello View Post

Sorry if this is a newbie question...

Projector Centrals calculator recommends projector throw to be 16'-4". and the JVC owner manual recommends 12'-6" ... unless I'm reading one of them incorrectly. Which is correct? I can put the projector anywhere in this range.

If both are options, what do you recommend? I assume that the image will be brighter with the 12'-6" mounting. I like a bright image, especially for the 3D experience... But, I really want the best posible picture in all categories.

Equipment details:
JVC RS-40 (Not delivered yet)
ST-130 123-inch screen. (brand new) (1.3 gain) (107" wide by 60" high) (16:9)
Light controlled room. flat black ceiling and screen wall
Chief RPA 281/CMS 115 mount (downrod length to be determined)
First row 13-feet eyeball to screen
Second row 19-feet

I think that's all you need to answer?

My projector is mounted ~14' away, screen size 130" diag fixed 2.4 HP, eyes to screen distance ~12.5'.

I was told by another knowledgeable forum member that the closer you are (within suggested guideline throw spec) the brighter and the sharper the image will be.

The image will be sharper in the center and may appear a tad softer on the edges of your screen. The further you are the better the contrast and you get a more uniform sharpness.

If I am wrong, Id also like to know the difference, maybe others can chime in and offer a more descriptive explanation.

throw (13') VS (18') VS (Sharpness) (Contrast) (Brightness).

If you had to choose ideal projector placement (regardless of real world mounting location) for best viewing specs, which would you go with ?
post #4335 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

HERE is one online dealer selling them for $90.99 with free shipping. They are listed as having automatic on (like the JVC glasses) and they are not listed as Universal (unlike the X103s). So they appear to just be an Xpand OEM that may be the same as the JVC glasses except for the orientation of the polarizing element. If that's the case then the real question is are they compatible with the JVC's IR signals.

According to Petri in his blog that started the discussion on these Philips glasses, they are compatible with the JVC emitter signal. The Philips emitter will not plug in to the JVC though because it's a 6-pin DIN vs. 3-pin. The Philips turns on/off automatically like the JVC glasses, but the polarity is like the X103s as you point out. So, while they're definitely cheaper than the JVCs, they don't provide that polarization boost if your screen maintains it. And they don't provide any univeral function like the slightly higher priced X103s. I guess if you'll never need the universal funtionality, then these may be a good choice since they do provide the auto on/off and are cheaper. Some (most?) may rather spend a little more and push a button on the Xpands for the universal feature. In my case, it's a requirement as I have more than one 3D display.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #4336 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Thanks a lot for this Ron, Steven (and Petri of course). These (Philips PTA-03) seem to be available in the UK from John Lewis at £49.95, including shipping!

That's more than 3 times less than JVC's list price (£160), and about half the price I paid for my Xpand x103 once duties, shipping and taxes to Europe are paid.

My screen (Carada BW) doesn't maintain much polarization (the Xpand are only very slightly less bright than the JVCs), so it's the perfect additional pair of glasses for the kids!

I've ordered one pair to check compatibility, but if it works as it did for Petri, it's a no brainer for me, as I don't have another 3D display at the moment.
post #4337 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

Thanks a lot for this Ron, Steven (and Petri of course). These (Philips PTA-03) seem to be available in the UK from John Lewis at £49.95, including shipping!

That's more than 3 times less than JVC's list price (£160), and about half the price I paid for my Xpand x103 once duties, shipping and taxes to Europe are paid.

My screen (Carada BW) doesn't maintain much polarization (the Xpand are only very slightly less bright than the JVCs), so it's the perfect additional pair of glasses for the kids!

I've ordered one pair to check compatibility, but if it works as it did for Petri, it's a no brainer for me, as I don't have another 3D display at the moment.

How about these for $85.00 bucks, they say should work with our Jvc pj.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ag=autoeone-20

Ian B
post #4338 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 PM

Is anyone using a dnp supernova 0.85 screen with there x3/rs40. The Jvc rep in my area is recommending this screen but I know very little about it, it's a bit pricey but if the performance is worth I will give it serious thought. My room is fully light controlled with dark walls' the projector will be mounted on the ceiling approximately 13-14' back. I am hoping for a 120" screen. I will be watching 60% tv, 30% movies, 10% games and I am hoping to use the 3d function as much as possible

My other choice was the da-lite cinema vision, any recommendation or info is appreciated.
post #4339 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6g72tt View Post

Is anyone using a dnp supernova 0.85 screen with there x3/rs40. The Jvc rep in my area is recommending this screen but I know very little about it, it's a bit pricey but if the performance is worth I will give it serious thought. My room is fully light controlled with dark walls' the projector will be mounted on the ceiling approximately 13-14' back. I am hoping for a 120" screen. I will be watching 60% tv, 30% movies, 10% games and I am hoping to use the 3d function as much as possible

My other choice was the da-lite cinema vision, any recommendation or info is appreciated.

If your room is fully light controlled, I think it would be crazy to use the dnp supenova. It is only useful if one has severe ambient light issues.
post #4340 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

If your room is fully light controlled, I think it would be crazy to use the dnp supenova. It is only useful if one has severe ambient light issues.

And that's what I mentioned to him, but he said the No light performance will be as good as any other screen out there, but I also host allot of sporting event parties, where the lights would be on in the room and in those instances there would be a large benefit.
post #4341 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I agree w/ Sam. Most here enjoy how these movies end up looking on the JVC's wheras the other thread is about the movie quality itself. How else would we know what's going on with 3D performance if not to spin a few and share our thoughts? Just sayin'.

Looks like your package was delivered this evening Sam (on the porch... if it still looks like one!). Enjoy bro!

I did hear from Todd. PM me.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #4342 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And that's what I mentioned to him, but he said the No light performance will be as good as any other screen out there, but I also host allot of sporting event parties, where the lights would be on in the room and in those instances there would be a large benefit.

Maybe true with parties, etc., but I think you pay a heavy price--low gain, hotspotting, etc. I would strongly encourage you to see one of these before getting one.
post #4343 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Maybe true with parties, etc., but I think you pay a heavy price--low gain, hotspotting, etc. I would strongly encourage you to see one of these before getting one.

Have you seen one of these before? I am trying to arrange a demo
post #4344 of 9990 Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Have you seen one of these before? I am trying to arrange a demo

Have seen one only at CEDIA. In the same vein is the Black Diamond screen by Screen Innovations. Some of these were used for JVC's demos at the most recent CEDIA. I believe they are thought to have fewer artifacts than the dnp, but you need to research this more.
post #4345 of 9990 Old 02-10-2011, 05:43 AM

My RS40 arrived yesterday , yeahhh ! here are some pics of my equipment with a ikea rack i made. And the screen for now is a painted screen mix called Scorpion N8 . I dont know the gain of this paint but it will do until i get my HG screen paint. I will have it professionally calibrated when i reach 100 hrs.

Screen : Scorpion N8 paint mix
Gain : ?
Throw : 15'
Screen size : 110"
equipment: oppo bdp-93 , marantz av7005 , ps3 , and emotiva upa-7.

Link here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/e.mann3...eat=directlink
post #4346 of 9990 Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM

What is the point of the black level control (slider) on the RS40? This is distinct from the brightness and contrast controls, and I'm not sure why one would want to have it anywhere other than zero.

Gary/Chris?
post #4347 of 9990 Old 02-10-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill

Have seen one only at CEDIA. In the same vein is the Black Diamond screen by Screen Innovations. Some of these were used for JVC's demos at the most recent CEDIA. I believe they are thought to have fewer artifacts than the dnp, but you need to research this more.
I thought dnp is the people that used to supply screen innovations but now are selling them direct with a improved material
post #4348 of 9990 Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I thought dnp is the people that used to supply screen innovations but now are selling them direct with a improved material
What you say does seem like what I remember, though at CEDIA the SI people seemed to be implying that they were doing it all themselves. Maybe this is consistent with the 'improved material' that you mention. I admit that I am really not up to date on all this since I'm very happy with my Dalite HP and thus haven't followed these new screen developments in detail.
post #4349 of 9990 Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Yes, finally got my money back today from the dealer I first purchased the projector from. Good news is I found someone else who is selling it for $500 cheaper and will have it shipped out tomorrow. Looks like I will finally get to enjoy this projector come next week. Now I have about everything I need: new apartment with big enough room to set up home theater, Da-Lite HP screen, JVC emitter and 1 pair of glasses, PS3, HDMI 1.4 cable, and plenty of 3D movies and games to enjoy. Just need to get some more pairs of glasses for guest, a home theater speaker system, wall shelf to mount projector, and black curtains for my windows.
post #4350 of 9990 Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM

I can't remember, but has anyone posted a picture of all of the addition ports that are behind the panels with the phillip screw? I was just curious what else is back there. Thanks.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page