Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #4501 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Larry, you should check out the Ceiling mounts for RS projectors thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19345495

it was even on the first page of the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

Larry, you should check out the Ceiling mounts for RS projectors thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19345495

it was even on the first page of the forum!

Hi,

Thanks.

Perhaps I missed it, but I couldn't find the specific answers to my questions.

Larry
post #4503 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
If you are seeing that, then it's stolen. And, BTW, no price talk allowed in this forum. Please see the "sticky" at the top of the page. AVS sells these projectors and gives us these forums for free. So they get to make the (fair) rules.
post #4504 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Thanks for having our backs erkq. PM was sent.
post #4505 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM

Does the JVCs upscale and/or deinterlace by default if a source isn't 1080p? Because it just tells me 576p i.e if the source is like that. Does it upscale this signal?

I have a denon 1911 and I don't know if I should let scale the denon or the RS40.
By my eyes it doesn't make a big difference in favour of any of them.
post #4506 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoHD View Post

Does the JVCs upscale and/or deinterlace by default if a source isn't 1080p? Because it just tells me 576p i.e if the source is like that. Does it upscale this signal?

I have a denon 1911 and I don't know if I should let scale the denon or the RS40.
By my eyes it doesn't make a big difference in favour of any of them.

All fixed pixel displays have to upscale lesser resolutions somehow. Yes, it may be difficult to tell the difference between the RS40's upscaling and the Denon's. I don't know which is better technically.
post #4507 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

When Chief refers to a fixed extension pipe of say 24", is that the end-to-end dimension of the pipe including the threads? Likewise for the 18"-24" adjustable pipe is the 24" the end-to-end dimension? If so, to get an accurate idea of the total mounting height we would have to subtract out the distance the pipes are threaded into the ceiling plate and the projector mount?

In answer to one of my questions I found a Chief drawing for adjustable extension pipes that shows that Chief defines the minimum and maximum dimensions between the threaded section of the adjustable pipes, not the end-to-end distance. I couldn't find a similar dimensioned drawing for the fixed extension pipes, but I assume they define the fixed length in a similar manner, i.e. between the threaded portion of the pipe and not the end-to-end distance.

Larry
post #4508 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Hi,

Thanks.

Perhaps I missed it, but I couldn't find the specific answers to my questions.

Larry

Well, I think the idea was to point you in the direction of that thread to ask questions there, since that is why that thread exists - to capture mount-related questions/info there, and allow this thread to focus on the other aspects of PJ ownership. Especially since the mount is universal for all related models (250, 40, 50, 60), and this thread is RS40-specific.

IMHO, not trying to shoo you away, only looking to help keep threads on-topic, what do I know, I'm not an owner yet,

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #4509 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In answer to one of my questions I found a Chief drawing for adjustable extension pipes that shows that Chief defines the minimum and maximum dimensions between the threaded section of the adjustable pipes, not the end-to-end distance. I couldn't find a similar dimensioned drawing for the fixed extension pipes, but I assume they define the fixed length in a similar manner, i.e. between the threaded portion of the pipe and not the end-to-end distance.

Larry

Fixed pipes are measured end-to-end, including threads.
post #4510 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

IMHO, not trying to shoo you away, only looking to help keep threads on-topic, what do I know, I'm not an owner yet,

shinksma

Hi,

Thanks.

I guess if you are correct about keeping on-topic we won't be reading dozens of future reviews of 3D Blu-rays.

Larry
post #4511 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

Fixed pipes are measured end-to-end, including threads.

Hi Matt,

Thanks.

Larry
post #4512 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Is there any setting I can adjust to try and reduce some of the film grain? Im talking about a little bit of graininess I see in NEW BD's such as ironman, T:salvation etc. I dont have any processing outside of the PJ for the signal. Is this just the way they are filmed and is common among all films?

Let me reiterate, this is the first PJ Ive ever owned so perhaps the picture is so clear that there are just nuances I havent seen before. REducing the grain WOULD be nice tho

EDIT: I dont think this is the digital noise some are speaking of as I have right at 100 hours now and the problem is across the entire screen, and is not present when paused.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #4513 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Is there any setting I can adjust to try and reduce some of the film grain? Im talking about a little bit of graininess I see in NEW BD's such as ironman, T:salvation etc. I dont have any processing outside of the PJ for the signal. Is this just the way they are filmed and is common among all films?

Let me reiterate, this is the first PJ Ive ever owned so perhaps the picture is so clear that there are just nuances I havent seen before. REducing the grain WOULD be nice tho

EDIT: I dont think this is the digital noise some are speaking of as I have right at 100 hours now and the problem is across the entire screen, and is not present when paused.

If this is your first PJ, you're only just getting used to the impact of sheer image size, and how that (in itself) will reveal a lot more in any image than you've probably seen before. This is all the more true, the closer you are to the projected image. You'll find yourself noticing all manner of imperfections, artifacts, etc. that just flew under the radar on a smaller direct view monitor.

I haven't seen the movies in question, but If what you suspect is grain goes away when the image is paused, it likely isn't grain in the first place, and may well be noise. I say this b/c grain is part of the film medium, and pausing an image wouldn't (shouldn't?) cause it to magically disappear.
post #4514 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the information.

Which Chief mount did you use?

When Chief refers to a fixed extension pipe of say 24", is that the end-to-end dimension of the pipe including the threads? Likewise for the 18"-24" adjustable pipe is the 24" the end-to-end dimension? If so, to get an accurate idea of the total mounting height we would have to subtract out the distance the pipes are threaded into the ceiling plate and the projector mount?

Is the height of your projector mount 1.75"?
Is the height of the projector approximately 6"?
Do you know the height of the special mounting plate?

Thanks.

Larry

The Chief projector mount I purchased consisted of 3 items as follows (copy and paste directly from my AVS invoice):
Chief RPA281 Projector Mount for JVC RS40/RS50/RS60
Chief CMA-101, 5" Designer Ceiling Plate
Chief CMS012018 Adjustable Extension Column, 12" to 18" I really didn't know the exact length of the fixed length extension pipes (do they count the lenght of the threads or not in their claimed length), but I see Mat already answered that question above.

FYI, all of the JVC projector dimensions are given in the owner's manual which you can download from the JVC web site. The total vertical distance from the bottom of the projector to the top of my attached Chief mount (i.e., to where the extension pipe screws in) is about 9 inches with the Chief mount, including the mounting plate, being about 3 inches of that total and the projector about 6 inches.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4515 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

The films you are talking about have a noticeable grain floor that is intended by the filmmakers. The only way you are going to eliminate it is using a noise reduction technology. The JVC does have this in its advanced menu options in picture settings. What you should do is put on a scene from one of these films and adjust until you find a desired outcome. If the PJ doesn't do what you want, some Blu-ray players feature noise reduction solutions as well that may work better. A warning though, noise reduction typically comes at a price in other areas so tweaking this setting can reduce other image quality attributes such as definition and detail.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #4516 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

A warning though, noise reduction typically comes at a price in other areas so tweaking this setting can reduce other image quality attributes such as definition and detail.

Beware the wax people!
post #4517 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

The films you are talking about have a noticeable grain floor that is intended by the filmmakers. The only way you are going to eliminate it is using a noise reduction technology. The JVC does have this in its advanced menu options in picture settings. What you should do is put on a scene from one of these films and adjust until you find a desired outcome. If the PJ doesn't do what you want, some Blu-ray players feature noise reduction solutions as well that may work better. A warning though, noise reduction typically comes at a price in other areas so tweaking this setting can reduce other image quality attributes such as definition and detail.

Thanks, ill take a look and see if it even is something I want to get rid of in the first place. I just figured that detail would go hand in hand with reduced grain.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #4518 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Hi Beast....

What is your current screen size ? and viewing distance eyes to screen ?

Do you still notice graininess 2' back further from current viewing position?
post #4519 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5z06 View Post

Hi Beast....

What is your current screen size ? and viewing distance eyes to screen ?

Do you still notice graininess 2' back further from current viewing position?

Beast was my car's name, its dead now. my friends call me Bstyle haha, ill take either one.

Screen size is 110" viewing front row is 12 feet, second row around 16-18. On the front row you can see it for sure. Second row it is still visible but just barely. I would say the grain in a full blackout setting would be totally gone once you get to about the 20 foot mark. I have pretty good eyes though, no one else has noticed with the exception of one friend. they dont really know what they are looking for either though

I may be over thinking it I just want to make sure that it isnt something that I SHOULDNT have. But as zenjabil stated, it may just be me getting used to the sheer size of the image and the detail that is inherently lost from going from a 40" TV to a 110"

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #4520 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Beast was my car's name, its dead now. my friends call me Bstyle haha, ill take either one.

Screen size is 110" viewing front row is 12 feet, second row around 16-18. On the front row you can see it for sure. Second row it is still visible but just barely. I would say the grain in a full blackout setting would be totally gone once you get to about the 20 foot mark. I have pretty good eyes though, no one else has noticed with the exception of one friend. they dont really know what they are looking for either though

I may be over thinking it I just want to make sure that it isnt something that I SHOULDNT have. But as zenjabil stated, it may just be me getting used to the sheer size of the image and the detail that is inherently lost from going from a 40" TV to a 110"

I hear you... I see the same thing on my 130" from 12.5 viewing distance. Iron man 2 , is vivid and grainy but gives it that theater film like image.

Have you tried zooming into the smallest screen size and viewing at 12' back, the image is so damn good but small..lol
post #4521 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 PM

For anyone else who needs to position the image with no lens shift, I think I figured out a workaround. Unfortunately it does involve being able to make marks on a wall (best if you can stick a piece of paper to it) and mashing buttons. First, find the leftmost (or rightmost) position that you can shift to (just keep hitting left and a few ups or downs to get the image as far left as possible. In the end you should not be able to move the image up or down at all. Mark off the horizontal center line. Do exactly the same thing to find the topmost (or bottommost) position. You should not be able to shift the image left or right. [You can mark off the vertical centerline for future reference but not necessary]. Now shift the image up so that you line up the horizontal line with the line you previously marked. You now have no lens shift.

Would have been so much easier if JVC had a reset button for lens shift.
post #4522 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 06:20 PM

I can now post in the owners thread though I currently have nothing to add. All the pieces just sitting here but the installers won't be here until Thursday. Wednesday is probably going to feel like the longest day ever. My wife didn't even flinch at the size of this thing she simply said "how are we going to hang this, this thing is huge" me: "with a pole" her: "ok" and with that, the conversation was done. I want to do a movie night with another family but not so much where I'm willing to drop another $500+ for three glasses. If these glasses were at most $50-$60 I would definitely buy more kinda like the number of 360 controllers I have in the house but at their street and even slightly less than street prices for.get.it.
post #4523 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawstar View Post

Would have been so much easier if JVC had a reset button for lens shift.

You can't even tell if it's centered by looking at physical position of the lens either. The horizontal shift on my RS40 broke and I've had to take the PJ down and open the case four times now to rotate the little H-shift gear wheel to try to bring the image back to center.
post #4524 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Yep, I saw those too with the USB charging, but I didn't want to take the risk Any volunteers?

I purchased these 3dtv glasses through amazon.com after talking to the 3dtv technical support. He assured me that model N would work with Jvc rs 40 without any problems. I paid 160 plus shipping. I tried them last night but the results were very disappointing. These glasses do synch with emitter but 3d effects are suboptimal there is some issue with right left polarity. I just sent an email to the seller for a return. For $5 more I bough two more pairs of xpands from amazon today. Stay away from 3dtv model N.
post #4525 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakhtar View Post

I purchased these 3dtv glasses through amazon.com after talking to the 3dtv technical support. He assured me that model N would work with Jvc rs 40 without any problems. I paid 160 plus shipping. I tried them last night but the results were very disappointing. These glasses do synch with emitter but 3d effects are suboptimal there is some issue with right left polarity. I just sent an email to the seller for a return. For $5 more I bough two more pairs of xpands from amazon today. Stay away from 3dtv model N.

Sakhtar:

Thanks for the heads up. I will be returning the order I made yesterday without opening the package. I should have known better. I sent an email to them as well.

John
post #4526 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I don't watch movies anymore on the RS50. I Have this new obsession. It's called the Chroma 5 Pro meter, Chromapure software, and the search for calibration nirvana. If you start, you can guarantee a 4-5 hour sitting session tweaking and changing...

I have visions of repetitive 10-100% IRE screens and CIE charts.

all kidding aside, after I finished my first calibration the other night I watched 'The Road Warrior' bluray. I love this grainy film transfer to BD. Colors and contrast both looked fantastic.

There's enjoyment . . . and then there's Enjoyment! Drop the Chrome 5 or the clown gets it! Really though Jason... watch it this weekend... You're gonna love it (a lot of creepy fun!)!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #4527 of 10031 Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakhtar View Post

Guys, we can discuss other 3D glasses but no price talk is clearly stated in the forum rules. Please respect our host's rules.
post #4528 of 10031 Old 02-16-2011, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

There are more disturbing reports of the new projectors having low light output:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1315110
post #4529 of 10031 Old 02-16-2011, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm upgrading my system and have found a decent deal on a RS40/X3 paired with a 110" SI Black Diamond II 1.4 gain screen. My question: Is there any differences at all between the RS40 and the X3 (other than the gold trim and lettering)? I have both PJs available to me at the same price, and I want to be sure that I'm getting the higher quality model. Thank you for any help/advice.
post #4530 of 10031 Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degicank View Post

I'm upgrading my system and have found a decent deal on a RS40/X3 paired with a 110" SI Black Diamond II 1.4 gain screen. My question: Is there any differences at all between the RS40 and the X3 (other than the gold trim and lettering)? I have both PJs available to me at the same price, and I want to be sure that I'm getting the higher quality model. Thank you for any help/advice.

No difference between them, the warranty might be different. RS40 has a two year warranty but the X3 might have a three year warranty. Other than that, there is no difference between the two
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page