post #4591 of 10016 Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

There does seem to be an abundance of posters right now with issues.

I don't remember this with previous models. The biggies I remember were "bright corners", lens movement and a broken CMS. But nothing like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 10016 Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Hi Guys. Been way too busy to post much. I believe the bulb warranty is 90 days. The problem is that replacement bulbs have been unavailable but should become available around the 20th of this month.

Trust me. Anybody with a defective projector is at the top of our list for a replacement. There are a few out there that have defects but are operational and we have instructed these customers to keep using the machine until we have replacements in the coming mother load.

Alan and I are here to help you. If you have a problem call me at my number below. If I don't answer try back a little later. I take calls till about midnight and I am always eager to talk and help. Try me first before trying Alan.

When JVC ships and we have tracking, I will post. Emails about any news? I don't have anything to tell you. And I will post when they ship.

Emitters are rather plentiful and if you awaiting one, we can probably ship it right away.

Glasses are still in very short supply. One of JVCs major distributors expected to get 600 pairs in last week, and got a grand total of 60, for its 20 distribution centers. 22prs went to Cal and 17 pairs went to Chicago. The other 23 pairs, not a clue. I have no news about JVC shipping more glasses. Please don't drill this into the ground or I just won't post any status. Hopefully, JVC will ship a mother load of glasses shortly but we have received no mother load coming soon news about glasses yet.

I have been informed about posts being deleted by moderators.

If this happens please try and understand what you might have done to get your post deleted. If you have a problem, call me. Please don't post about it. Call me.

I will listen to your side and we will deal with it together. A few here are on the verge of getting banned for repeating posts that have been deleted and publicly bitching about it.
Call me. I don't want to see anyone banned.

Please don't quote me and start an argument over my post. If you don't like my post, call me.

I am extremely busy with my AVS duties. But I care about you all, will make time, and will listen.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4593 of 10016 Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post

They are identical in function and performance--and completely identical except for the cosmetic differences you noted.

Chris

Thank you for clearing this up. I was stressing about this a little as I had no real info to explain why there are two separate models. I guess it comes down to if I prefer gold or black.
post #4594 of 10016 Old 02-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degicank View Post

Thank you for clearing this up. I was stressing about this a little as I had no real info to explain why there are two separate models. I guess it comes down to if I prefer gold or black.

Gold.

All the cool kids are doing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4595 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Hi Guys. Been way too busy to post much. I believe the bulb warranty is 90 days. The problem is that replacement bulbs have been unavailable but should become available around the 20th of this month.

Trust me. Anybody with a defective projector is at the top of our list for a replacement. There are a few out there that have defects but are operational and we have instructed these customers to keep using the machine until we have replacements in the coming mother load.

Alan and I are here to help you. If you have a problem call me at my number below. If I don't answer try back a little later. I take calls till about midnight and I am always eager to talk and help. Try me first before trying Alan.

When JVC ships and we have tracking, I will post. Emails about any news? I don't have anything to tell you. And I will post when they ship.

Emitters are rather plentiful and if you awaiting one, we can probably ship it right away.

Glasses are still in very short supply. One of JVCs major distributors expected to get 600 pairs in last week, and got a grand total of 60, for its 20 distribution centers. 22prs went to Cal and 17 pairs went to Chicago. The other 23 pairs, not a clue. I have no news about JVC shipping more glasses. Please don't drill this into the ground or I just won't post any status. Hopefully, JVC will ship a mother load of glasses shortly but we have received no mother load coming soon news about glasses yet.

I have been informed about posts being deleted by moderators.

If this happens please try and understand what you might have done to get your post deleted. If you have a problem, call me. Please don't post about it. Call me.

I will listen to your side and we will deal with it together. A few here are on the verge of getting banned for repeating posts that have been deleted and publicly bitching about it.
Call me. I don't want to see anyone banned.

Please don't quote me and start an argument over my post. If you don't like my post, call me.

I am extremely busy with my AVS duties. But I care about you all, will make time, and will listen.

Thank you Mark, top notch man !!

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE

post #4596 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I don't remember this with previous models. The biggies I remember were "bright corners", lens movement and a broken CMS. But nothing like this.

There are a couple of differences from previous models that you have to take into account:

In the UK, we've sold more than double the number of 2011 models than we did last year's models at this time. I suspect the US figures are similar.

More projector owners are now forum members than previously. This will artificially inflate reports.

I don't know the situation in the US, but in the UK we've had a grand total of two confirmed faulty units so far. Not bad out of the hundreds we've shipped.
post #4597 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

^ excuses.

Anyway I think it is not that bad to live with risk of getting a faulty unit as long as there is customer service to stand behind it. AVS is there to support us right after the sale, and they are great. However, unfortunately, JVC customer service does not seem to be. Recent post by a fellow member and RS25/HD950 owner:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19992861

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post

Well, had my HD950 for a year and got a pink band along the left vertical edge of the screen that covered the whole edge for about 8 inches on a 105" screen. This was in November....

I thought it my be the bulb and before sending it away I purchase bulb and swap to be sure the malfunction was the projector. Bulb replacement changed nothing.

I send it to my retailer and they send it away to JVC for repair on Dec 3. It is around 1.5 months before I get told that the whole light engine had to be replaced. I was weary about it being serviced, but saw no options.

To my rejoice I hear from my retailer that JVC is giving me a new unit. I was quite happy to hear that to say the least. Fast forward to today and finally pick up my projo and it is in a new box! Get home and open said box and realize it the protective cloth has been opened and retaped with scotch tape.

I think to myself "cool, they opened it and tested to be sure it was working properly to save the poor consumer", but no, the thing is marked up quite badly and is obviously a refurb.

Some may say I am being kinda pissy, but I waited 3 months and was told it would be new. Honestly not impressed at all. I guess new meant that it is not the crapped out one I sent, or the box that they shipped it in.

Gonna fire it up tomorrow and see how it looks. I am hoping it is better than the housing.

post #4598 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post

^ excuses.

Unclemat, you are such a negative poster. It's been a drag to read your posts.

GO HABS GO!
post #4599 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

Unclemat, you are such a negative poster. It's been a drag to read your posts.

Sorry, I guess waiting 4.5 months for projector and receiving DOA does that to one. Please share (anyone) a successful and positive story about JVC customer service. Seriously. I realize people who have bad experiences tend to go out and say/write about it, while happy people typically sit quiet.

So please share something positive to convince me it's worth sticking with JVC after that huge delay, reading about tons of issues with new units (mysterious low lumens output, convergence issues), receiving DOA dud and reading more horror stories about JVC customer service. All I know JVC projectors project fantastic picture when they work well.
post #4600 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

$280.00 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy Crap! Are they made out of Gold?

That's for the kit (a pair of glasses and RF emitter); same as if JVC did a kit for theirs. You can find them cheaper but no stock that I can find right now.

Here's a mini review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2CyRLfDNfc

And as far as Mark's post about AVS's seemingly new censorship policy... Not a good position to take in my opinion. Sometimes bitching is all we have to let others know certain policies or outcome will not be tolerated. A bit disturbing to me.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #4601 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:

Sorry, I guess waiting 4.5 months for projector and receiving DOA does that to one. Please share (anyone) a successful and positive story about JVC customer service. Seriously. I realize people who have bad experiences tend to go out and say/write about it, while happy people typically sit quiet.

So please share something positive to convince me it's worth sticking with JVC after that huge delay, reading about tons of issues with new units (mysterious low lumens output, convergence issues), receiving DOA dud and reading more horror stories about JVC customer service. All I know JVC projectors project fantastic picture when they work well.

you don't have to censor yourself for others that just want to read glowing, honeymoon reports about their new projector. The reality is, these are complex electronic devices and there are bound to be issues. Some will be obvious such as a DOA, others more subtle such as potential lamp issues. Many do not have the tools or means to even know they are having a lamp issue.

I am a little bent that my RS50 lamp is lacking 18-20% of it's red value right out of the box. This means THX mode is useless (something I am certain I paid a lot of $$ for in this particular model). yes it can be fixed with a calibration which I have done, but this is at the cost of light output.

there is already a mile long thread discussing lamp issues with the older models, I wonder how long it will be before we see one for the current lineup. This is my last bulb projector, I am hoping the LED models become more affordable in the next 2 years.

post #4602 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK View Post

There are a couple of differences from previous models that you have to take into account:

In the UK, we've sold more than double the number of 2011 models than we did last year's models at this time. I suspect the US figures are similar.

More projector owners are now forum members than previously. This will artificially inflate reports.

I don't know the situation in the US, but in the UK we've had a grand total of two confirmed faulty units so far. Not bad out of the hundreds we've shipped.

Gary,
Thanks for the info and insight. I don't view your post as anything close to an excuse so please forgive the negative comments. I, along with others, value your help and support in these forums.

Geof
post #4603 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

That's for the glasses AND an emitter. If people took 2 seconds to read the link, before commenting, they would have known that. The glasses alone have the same MSRP as the JVC's.
post #4604 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 09:37 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 722
would you have to plug that emitter in as well as the JVC For both types to work? seems like a waste if they both wont work at the same time...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #4605 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

would you have to plug that emitter in as well as the JVC For both types to work? seems like a waste if they both wont work at the same time...

I read somewhere that you didn't, waiting for confirmation from a RS50 user that bought the kit.
post #4606 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 AM
The Truth Hz

that will be good to know. I like the look of those shades. It will be interesting also to see if their ultra-highspeed claims live up to that. if their performance is truly that much better than the stock JVC's they may live up to their price tag.

post #4607 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

I just received a tracking number from AVS today and I should have the replacement tomorrow. That's an absolutely top notch customer service and just can't be any better. Thanks a lot!!
post #4608 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 10:22 AM

Overall, 40 hrs into ownership of the RS40 (having upgraded from a PRO FPJ-1 / RS2), I'm quite pleased with the unit, and especially the 3D performance.

On most material, I notice no ghosting 95+% of the time. One of the best 3D presentations I've seen thus far is Legend of the Guardians, which excels in depth/layering, if not in pop-out effects. Ghosting-wise, this is the best of the 4 or 5 discs I've seen, with perceptible cross-talk limited to 15 seconds of text/titles at the beginning of the movie (still there after the obligatory 20 min warm-up process). By the way, I thought the credits at the end were exceptional, utilizing 3D to effectively convey backlit objects and casting shadows onto a canvas textured screen..very impressive indeed.

However, one of the worst offenders in the ghosting category is to be found on the same disc in the looney tunes roadrunner short. I can still watch it, but frankly would not be happy with the RS-40 if this was representative of typical 3D performance. Thankfully (judging from other discs I've viewed), this appears to be very much of an exception.

I've noticed others commenting about the RS40 being prone to ghosting with 'orange' shades, and I'm inclined to believe there's some truth to that insofar as the entire road runner short is set in the typical southwestern desert, and saturated in every shade between beige (sand) and brick (rocks, boulders), which, of course, includes the 'problematic' orange region. I found this material to be significantly more distracting than, say, Despicable Me, although that may be due to the fact that ghosting was omnipresent in the road runner short, whilst being largely restricted to the menu, and select scenes in Despicable Me.

Has anyone else noticed the same?
post #4609 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM
The Truth Hz

Quote:
I just received a tracking number from AVS today and I should have the replacement tomorrow. That's an absolutely top notch customer service and just can't be any better. Thanks a lot!!
that is great to hear. glad they get you taken care of quickly.

post #4610 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post
There does seem to be an abundance of posters right now with issues. It'd be very interesting to know the percentage of units that are not performing as they should, and if that failure rate is decreasing in the more newly produced modelsversus early production.

My order is in this upcoming shipment, and as I read more of these reports, I become increasingly happy with having chose the calibration and QC from AVS.

Of course that doesn't preclude the shipper playing football with it on the way here, but it does at least remove the possibility of receiving a factory dud.
Hi Dave,

Perhaps you or Mark Haflich can answer a few questions regarding AVS' calibration and QC service.

What items are checked as part of the QC? Lumens, convergence, etc.?

Is the calibration just for 2D?

If the projector is damaged in shipment do you have to pay for another calibration if the projector has to be replaced?

Does the fee include a touch-up calibration after the lamp has had sufficient hours?

If so, how are the logistics handled? That is, do you have to ship the projector to AVS for the touch-up?

Thanks.

Larry

post #4611 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I pre-ordered the same time as unclemat. Last week or so I received a much appreciated "hang in there" call from AVS. I told her I would wait for the big JVC shipment anticipated for the end of the month. I specifically did not want an RS40 unit obtained by AVS from another dealer. My paranoia would kick in asking "why are they giving this unit up?".

That call and Marks updates are about all one can expect until JVC provides AVS with additional information (hopefully correct). I hope unclemat's replacement unit satisfies him. The only downside to that will be the drastically reduced number of posts on the thread!
post #4612 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Isn't that to be expected from Monster?

Well yeah because they're gold plated like everything else they make

CEDAR PEAKS CINEMA (Now w/ 3D)

post #4613 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

That's for the kit (a pair of glasses and RF emitter); same as if JVC did a kit for theirs. You can find them cheaper but no stock that I can find right now.

Here's a mini review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2CyRLfDNfc

And as far as Mark's post about AVS's seemingly new censorship policy... Not a good position to take in my opinion. Sometimes bitching is all we have to let others know certain policies or outcome will not be tolerated. A bit disturbing to me.

Kevin,
Just noticed your follow up post and I believe the price will probably hit the $200 range when this item hits retail and online stores. I am really curious to see if you or someone can verify this guy's claim as these Monster glasses being noticeably brighter than the default factory 3D glasses. If the brightness difference is immediatly noticeable to the naked eye without having to speculate and measure, then I can totally see a value of having at least two of those glasses for the primary use (spouses/bf/gf/kids), while still using the Xpand/Philips/JVCs for guests. But looking at Monster's website, they still do not have an option to buy the glasses alone without the RF-IR emitter. How many 3D glasses can one Monster emitter handle? And why can't they sell the glasses alone for $150

CEDAR PEAKS CINEMA (Now w/ 3D)

post #4614 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorjam View Post

I pre-ordered the same time as unclemat. Last week or so I received a much appreciated "hang in there" call from AVS. I told her I would wait for the big JVC shipment anticipated for the end of the month. I specifically did not want an RS40 unit obtained by AVS from another dealer. My paranoia would kick in asking "why are they giving this unit up?".

Well, that's way too paranoid, the unit was factory sealed so there was no reason somebody "would not want it". The only downside could be (and was) extra shipping time, especially that it took place just in OEM box.
post #4615 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Kevin,
Just noticed your follow up post and I believe the price will probably hit the $200 range when this item hits retail and online stores. I am really curious to see if you or someone can verify this guy's claim as these Monster glasses being noticeably brighter than the default factory 3D glasses. If the brightness difference is immediatly noticeable to the naked eye without having to speculate and measure, then I can totally see a value of having at least two of those glasses for the primary use (spouses/bf/gf/kids), while still using the Xpand/Philips/JVCs for guests. But looking at Monster's website, they still do not have an option to buy the glasses alone without the RF-IR emitter. How many 3D glasses can one Monster emitter handle? And why can't they sell the glasses alone for $150

What he said! I'd invest in another pair for my theater and pay the same as the JVC price if they were indeed brighter.

S A M 33
post #4616 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Kevin,

I saw on Amazon the glasses alone (almost typed the price, against the rules).
post #4617 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Several comments.

We get units direct from JVC and from JVC distributors. Its all the same. Factory sealed. We do not buy dealer stock.

Next calibrations. Calibrations cost $299. That includes checking to see that all functions work. Zoom, shift, focus, iris, yada yada yada. We check convergence. Basic standard is I wouldn't mind having a unit with that convergence. Its a case by case look at. Of all the machines I have examined, only one had convergence I wouldn't accept. JVC has gotten quite good at producing units with good converge.

Units can be requested calibrated right out of the box or after a short period of hours on the lamp. Putting a long number of hours on the unit, say for example, can be arranged. The price does not include a return touch up.

Gray scale is always done. CMS alignment or primaries and secondaries on units that include a CMS. We set contrast, brightness, sharpness etc but generally you will need to reset those for your specific screen and screen size. A normal calibration will include lumens out after calibration. All this in 2D only.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4618 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks for the info. 2D only sounds good as I don't want to sacrifice lumens for 3D viewing.
post #4619 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Units can be requested calibrated right out of the box or after a short period of hours on the lamp. Putting a long number of hours on the unit, say for example, can be arranged.

Can you give a ballpark for what you mean by short vs long number of hours? 2, 50, 100? What's your recommendation for how long it would take for the lamp to become fairly stable, such that a calibration is meaningful? My understanding is that for the first X number of hours, there is a significant amount of drift. Just not sure what X is.
post #4620 of 10016 Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Good info Mark, as usual.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page