post #4771 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Also, look at other PJ's and companies that come out, or anything else for that matter. First runs are always buggy/faulty. there are those of us willing to take the chance and those of us that want to wait it out until the issues are all taken care of...

I promise if you look into any other PJ with this much tech packed into it, you will find QC issues across the board. you can talk yourself out of just about any of them if you read long enough, the hundreds of happy customers you will never hear from (except perhaps me) cant argue their point since they never came here to begin with.

I was ok with everything so far, until the 15 min shutdown problem came up. I am not ok with any potential thermal issues. That is very serious. While I can stomach replacing a $300 game system (PS3), this thing is at least 10x that cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
RE: Brightness Uniformity

There has been considerable discussion on what is acceptable convergence and lamp brightness decline over time, but I count not find much on brightness uniformity for the RS40. I just calculated the lumens at 755 (high power, aperture=0, zoomed out, etc.) and it was recently calibrated). I have checked the brightness on my RS40 with a lux meter at various lamp hours and the results are similar. This is the current reading

Lamp Hours 95
Throw 2.1
Lamp Power Normal
Screen 16:9 100”
Mount Ceiling – center of lens 6” above top of screen
Horizontally – center of screen

Top Left 103
Top Right 120
Center 144
Lower Left 92
Lower Right 110

I understand that the top to bottom decline results from the distance difference (from the lens), but I don’t understand the left to right difference (~19%). When I hold the lux meter in the center of the screen and move it to the right, the lux reading changes very slowly compared to it changing very rapidly going from the center to the left side of the screen.

For those of you with lux meters, I would be curious to learn whether your projector has a similar brightness profile. To those experts out there, perhaps you could shed some light (pun intended) on this subject.

Jason Turk – you listed uniformity as one of the things you check in your Premium Service – what is “normal” and the limit of “acceptable” brightness uniformity?

"I like to watch" - Chauncey Gardiner in Being There
post #4773 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Did you not read my post? I contacted my local guy yesterday, I will have a replacement by the end of the week or beginning of next week.Thats pretty fast turnaround. My issue isnt a huge deal so i told them to take their time but I know another buyer on here received one DOA and they immediately sent him a replacement. Sounds to me like you have already made your decision that you dont want to take the risk of purchasing right now. There are always excuses to not buy something just have to weigh the pros and cons...

Well I wasn't referring to your case... I was more implying that people here have been waiting for their RS40 to arrive since October of last year... That's quite a few months to wait if you ask me.
post #4774 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM

I haven't been on this site long but I follow the JVC Threads pretty closely, because it is the brand that is closest to what I can afford. *I have champaign taste on a beer budget and the JVC lineup falls in the middle of both categories. *I would call it the medium price bracket or at least the 5K and below bracket.*

I have read where some people are saying that the negative comments being posted on here about the RS40 are taken out of context because the people who aren't having problems don't post. Anyone who believes that AVS purchasers dont post on these threads are either naive or fooling themselves and *I'd like to sell you a bridge in Brooklyn

People who purchase from AVS are fanatics about this site and this company and post here almost religiously. If anything satisfied AVS customers would come on here in droves to defend AVS and JVC.*

What I think the problem might be Is that we have too small a sampling of RS40 units to get a very fair idea if it's a QC issue or a hardware problem.*

*The real test will be when the first wave users hit 500 and above on their lamps. I'm thinking in the next 2-3 months the first wave will hit 500 hrs and then we will know more about the lamps and other issues

I also think once this second waves of projectors hits in the next week or two we will find out just how wide spread the problem of RS40s locking up and shutting down and about bad convergence issues, bulbs dimming after 1 month and ghosting etc

I'm also curious as to how this thread once had over 100 comment a day and it's now just a trickle?? *I've never seen a thread die so quickly? *I hope comments aren't being deleted ? *I for one understand how those that are happy with their purchase don't want to hear from those that aren't happy or to hear from those frustrated users still waiting for their projectors to arrive. *But this is America "free speech" and let's be honest we would all be fools if we didn't research our purchases on web sites looking for honest feedback from other customers. * I want to see the negative comments I need to see them.*

I've had cars and other items in the past that either failed or were faulty. That never stopped me from purchasing from those companies. What stopped me from future purchases was poor customer service. *I know JVC reps follow these threads because they were unhappy with the negative feedbacks here. Why hasn't JVC come out with a simple statement.*

" We are aware of the issues with the new RS lineup concerning lumens, some dimming bulbs, handshake issues, units locking up an requiring to be unplugged from outlets then repowered and some minor convergence problems. We here at JVC want to ensure you that we stand behind our products and are working diligently on solutions. Once solutions are found all purchasers will be taken care of. We thank you for your business and more importantly we THANK YOU FOR YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENTS because it is only through your negative comments that we can continue to advance our technologies and continue to improve and create better products for you the customer. Sincerely JVC Corporation"

Is that so hard?

I've seen what a JVC RS20 can do so I know that JVC knows their stuff when it comes to creating a great projector.*

I sincerely believe though that there are indeed a number of satisfied RS40 owners here on AVS but as one person stated out "out of a total of how many?? And let's not continue to cling to the foolish notion that AVS users don't post once they are happy with their purchase. *AVS users post no matter what time of day or year. They post week after week month after month and year after year*

Let's *see what happens when they hit 500 lamp hrs. And after this second wave of 200-300 users get their hands on their RS40s

I'm going out of country for 2 weeks. I can't wait to see what happens after this next wave of projectors comes in

Good luck to all. And remember JVC does make a good projector. When you get a good unit you will be blown away*
Quote:

Yes but considering the amount of 3d viewing, or even content to view in 3d, versus what you will be watching in 2d on normal lamp mode, which to me is still plenty bright, *will mean the PJ wont be in high lamp for perhaps 1/6th of the life of the lamp. Of course that percentage will be different per the viewer, but in my particular case, I have a couple 3d content discs and recorded stuff, which I spend maybe 2-3 hours per week watching, and then the other 12 hours are on standard 2d with normal lamp.*

When its all said and done, AVS and JVC will do what it takes to make sure you have a PJ operating in the normal parameters it should. If you dont, they will take care of you. the bulbs may have some that have severely decreased lifespans but this in most cases will be taken care of as well. Bottom line, just as others have stated, the number of defective units will look grossly overstated because those that are happy are off watching movies in bliss, while those that are having issues such as myself are here trying to troubleshoot, in most cases being successful. My new PJ should be here by the end of the week or first of next. Im still a happy camper

post #4775 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior View Post

Well I wasn't referring to your case... I was more implying that people here have been waiting for their RS40 to arrive since October of last year... That's quite a few months to wait if you ask me.

No offense, but you're jumping around between several unrelated issues. It really sounds like you're trying to talk yourself out of buying one. If that's the case, then just don't get one. You don't have to defend that decision to anybody.
post #4776 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

No offense, but you're jumping around between several unrelated issues. It really sounds like you're trying to talk yourself out of buying one. If that's the case, then just don't get one. You don't have to defend that decision to anybody.

Huh? Unrelated issues? I'm referring to the RS40 HERE at AVS and from what I've read, it's hard to come by, and it's having issues. There is no unrelated issues except where beastaudio got his RS40 along with the replacement.

Now if he got it here at AVS (He should have said so) then that would relate to what I'm talking about HERE at AVS.
post #4777 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
I agree with you 100%. My only arguement is that the negative experiences will always outweigh the positives when making a decision. Rightfully so I guess. I too am victim. Speaking from my personal experience however, those that I know have 40's from my local guy and many who I have spoken to on here are very happy with their purchase, and those that arent are in the process of remedying their situation(sans those still waiting for their 40's)

It will certainly be interesting going forward what comes of these PJ's but I am confident in JVC standing by their product.

On a side note, the thermal issues are DEFINITELY a problem that I hope we would get an answer from JVC on... if it is truly hardware failure then that would stink, if it is simply a software fixable issue where it wasnt really overheating, a much easier fix would be doable.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #4778 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:

Huh? Unrelated issues?

I didn't mean "off topic". What I meant was jumping from QC problems, to 3D content being dimmer than 2D, to backorder status (as beastaudio noted, it sounds like people who do need a replacement are getting priority, as opposed to new orders)... etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you what you are or are not supposed to talk about. I'm just saying that from my perspective, it really sounds like you've already made up your mind not to get one, but are trying to find a reason for that decision. If it were me, I wouldn't want to spend the amount of money that a PJ costs if I'm already second guessing myself before I pulled the trigger.
post #4779 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Stuff happens, especially with a new chassis at the beginning of the production run.

These problems will be worked out and I highly doubt anyone will be stuck with bad hardware. Waiting is an option if you're concerned. In the meantime those of us with working units (which I truly believe far outnumber bad units) are enjoying a phenomenal picture.

Geof
post #4780 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I didn't mean "off topic". What I meant was jumping from QC problems, to 3D content being dimmer than 2D, to backorder status (as beastaudio noted, it sounds like people who do need a replacement are getting priority, as opposed to new orders)... etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you what you are or are not supposed to talk about. I'm just saying that from my perspective, it really sounds like you've already made up your mind not to get one, but are trying to find a reason for that decision. If it were me, I wouldn't want to spend the amount of money that a PJ costs if I'm already second guessing myself before I pulled the trigger.

Well I didn't jump around... I related the bulb dimming issues with the fact that the RS40 is in a higher lamp mode when in 3D mode. I'm sure that shortens the lamp life. The back orders here is all I really know about, so I am relating the RS40 to what is happening here.

It's the fact that all theses things are what has turned me off in wasting my money for 3D content for now, and I only replied do to those quoting my posts. I now have gave my reasons, so there is no reason for you to defend, or me to reply any further.
post #4781 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOENIGGE View Post

I haven't been on this site long but I follow the JVC Threads pretty closely, because it is the brand that is closest to what I can afford. *I have champaign taste on a beer budget and the JVC lineup falls in the middle of both categories. *I would call it the medium price bracket or at least the 5K and below bracket.*

I have read where some people are saying that the negative comments being posted on here about the RS40 are taken out of context because the people who aren't having problems don't post. Anyone who believes that AVS purchasers dont post on these threads are either naive or fooling themselves and *I'd like to sell you a bridge in Brooklyn

People who purchase from AVS are fanatics about this site and this company and post here almost religiously. If anything satisfied AVS customers would come on here in droves to defend AVS and JVC.*

What I think the problem might be Is that we have too small a sampling of RS40 units to get a very fair idea if it's a QC issue or a hardware problem.*

*The real test will be when the first wave users hit 500 and above on their lamps. I'm thinking in the next 2-3 months the first wave will hit 500 hrs and then we will know more about the lamps and other issues

I also think once this second waves of projectors hits in the next week or two we will find out just how wide spread the problem of RS40s locking up and shutting down and about bad convergence issues, bulbs dimming after 1 month and ghosting etc

I'm also curious as to how this thread once had over 100 comment a day and it's now just a trickle?? *I've never seen a thread die so quickly? *I hope comments aren't being deleted ? *I for one understand how those that are happy with their purchase don't want to hear from those that aren't happy or to hear from those frustrated users still waiting for their projectors to arrive. *But this is America "free speech" and let's be honest we would all be fools if we didn't research our purchases on web sites looking for honest feedback from other customers. * I want to see the negative comments I need to see them.*

I've had cars and other items in the past that either failed or were faulty. That never stopped me from purchasing from those companies. What stopped me from future purchases was poor customer service. *I know JVC reps follow these threads because they were unhappy with the negative feedbacks here. Why hasn't JVC come out with a simple statement.*

" We are aware of the issues with the new RS lineup concerning lumens, some dimming bulbs, handshake issues, units locking up an requiring to be unplugged from outlets then repowered and some minor convergence problems. We here at JVC want to ensure you that we stand behind our products and are working diligently on solutions. Once solutions are found all purchasers will be taken care of. We thank you for your business and more importantly we THANK YOU FOR YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENTS because it is only through your negative comments that we can continue to advance our technologies and continue to improve and create better products for you the customer. Sincerely JVC Corporation"

Is that so hard?

I've seen what a JVC RS20 can do so I know that JVC knows their stuff when it comes to creating a great projector.*

I sincerely believe though that there are indeed a number of satisfied RS40 owners here on AVS but as one person stated out "out of a total of how many?? And let's not continue to cling to the foolish notion that AVS users don't post once they are happy with their purchase. *AVS users post no matter what time of day or year. They post week after week month after month and year after year*

Let's *see what happens when they hit 500 lamp hrs. And after this second wave of 200-300 users get their hands on their RS40s

I'm going out of country for 2 weeks. I can't wait to see what happens after this next wave of projectors comes in

Good luck to all. And remember JVC does make a good projector. When you get a good unit you will be blown away*

Can't really agree with that. Yes, many (but by no means all, or even a majority of) AVS members will post regardless of their level of satisfaction with a projector, but those who are unhappy with any aspect of their purchase will tend to post far more frequently. I'm referring to the volume of negative posts as opposed to the volume of negative posters. Heck, unclemat and aztech alone probably account for half of the negative posts, and most of that was before they even received their projectors!

BTW, what's with the asterisks?
post #4782 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

And im not trying to start anything up Mike, just letting you and others know that even though my unit had issues, apparently that neither my local store nor JVC have heard of on a D-ILA unit (im special in that regard, it always seems to happen to me first) that I am still thrilled with the PQ.

On another note, the highlamp in 3d mode is/could be avoidable by just not using the 3d setting. this would cause a dimmer picture sure, but I have accidentally begun watching without switching on several occasions and still loved the picture. While it is better in 3d mode, if you really want to extend the lamp life, just avoid using this and calibrate a user setting to as close as you can get with NOT using the high lamp mode. I will probably do this one I get my replacement.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #4783 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And im not trying to start anything up Mike, just letting you and others know that even though my unit had issues, apparently that neither my local store nor JVC have heard of on a D-ILA unit (im special in that regard, it always seems to happen to me first) that I am still thrilled with the PQ.

On another note, the highlamp in 3d mode is/could be avoidable by just not using the 3d setting. this would cause a dimmer picture sure, but I have accidentally begun watching without switching on several occasions and still loved the picture. While it is better in 3d mode, if you really want to extend the lamp life, just avoid using this and calibrate a user setting to as close as you can get with NOT using the high lamp mode. I will probably do this one I get my replacement.

See, this is something I need to reply to.. What is the point of paying so much money if you have to constantly worry about the lamp life to not even use it as it's intended for the best picture? Didn't JVC know that a higher lamp mode for 3D will need a quality lamp that can last without losing it's brightness after 100 or so hours? To pay so much money for 3D, and to not get the quality in lasting appeal (Early Dim Bulb by using 3D MODE), or not getting the best 3D pic (Lower setting) seems like a no win situation... Just saying from my perspective.
post #4784 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 01:22 PM

i agree that i think there is a fanatacism here on these forums with people not tolerating any critisism towards there loyalties. that is very odd to witness. it's like people take things personally when somebody points out that something is not kosher.

i don't think people like to hear bad things about the product they just bought, even though it serves as something positive in the long run, with fixes and solutions, and better QC...

i don't think i'm negative... i'm looking forward to my new pj. i have some concerns, but i would say they are justified considering the $$$ spent, and this is my first pj. that doesn't mean i don't want to take the plunge though.
post #4785 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 01:30 PM

i may not even post in this thread on my ownership, as i may not end up being an rs40 owner after all.

i'm on the sony b stock list for the 85, and i am willing to go that route instead...
post #4786 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is also another big risk... If you do decide to buy the RS40 with it being in limited supply, the chance of a speedy replacement for a faulty one will be unlikely. Who wants to spend multiple grand to be stuck with a issues having PJ for months on end?

Quote:

Quote:

Huh? Unrelated issues? I'm referring to the RS40 HERE at AVS and from what I've read, it's hard to come by, and it's having issues. There is no unrelated issues except where beastaudio got his RS40 along with the replacement.

Now if he got it here at AVS (He should have said so) then that would relate to what I'm talking about HERE at AVS.

I agree with Shagg. beastaudio and others, there are Dozens of us with perfectly functional RS40s, RS50s, X3's and X7's...It's not fair to microanalyze the handful of actual defect cases. I feel like not only are you trying to talk yourself out of it, but you're trying to talk others out of it too.

There have been 100's of these projectors sold and shipped, and we only know of a very few number of projectors that we can probably count on one hand which had the noticeable or somewhat severe defect. And in this case, JVC and AVS are making the replacements a priority over new orders. I am not quite sure what the big fuss is, just like any electronic or AV device out there, some will have defects or convergence issues. This has been the case for 20 years.

Honestly no one is out there twisiting anyone's arms to buy one. The great majority of us owners are happy, ECSTATIC with our purchase. 3D, 2D, convergence and everything else in between. Best of luck in your buying decision.
post #4787 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
I don't read through this thread that much but I've heard enough to make me wonder if the availability of these units is because JVC is having so QC issues. Yes, AVS is a very small percentage but it seems like there are a bit of complaints. JVC lowered the price on these a bit this year and there's a chance the QC went down with the lower prices. I'm not pointing fingers at JVC but this does happen frequently in the corporate world when trying to save on costs.
post #4788 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

...t's not fair to microanalyze the handful of actual defect cases. I feel like not only are you trying to talk yourself out of it, but you're trying to talk others out of it too...

I wouldn't take it that way Sam. Your upgrade cost was next to nothing and you got a good unit so you're in a completely different boat.

This is a large purchase for some and it takes some thought and likely these guys are just throwing their thoughts out there and probably want to upgrade but they may be afraid of investing in a product that might not be all that reliable (again, keep in mind this is probably a bigger investment for them than it was for you. Also, projectors are sold in much much smaller volumes compared to TVs and with not many places to go to determine reliability facts people do rely on boards like this to some extent.
post #4789 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

damnsam77

You can think what you like, but I was very interested in getting an RS40. Yet it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together about the lamp life. In order to get the best pic in 3D you need to put it in the 3D mode for a brighter setting, and that shortens it's life. I have realized that now after wanting one, and it is something that will happen with every RS40 that is used in 3D mode a seemingly low amount of hours. There is no getting around that if you want the highest quality 3D pic.

I am not willing to send so much for 3D to get a projector that needs a lamp changed so often to keep the quality... It's just not that smart.
post #4790 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

IMHO, everything looks better in high lamp mode. 2d, 3d, stills, whatever. the added brightness if calibrated correctly will really make this PJ shine even more, but just like EVERY OTHER PJ out there, it will eat into the lamp usage time. Mike, perhaps your best plan of action is to run out and grab an Optoma or similar DLP and wait for the LED's prices to come down. Then there is no worry about lamps. (i considered this if you cant tell )Who knows how long this will take for them to come into the right price range. my 40 was perhaps one of the larger purchases I have ever made for leisure activities btw and I am glad I went ahead and made the purchase rather than wait and debate.

The 40 was my first PJ, I am certainly NOT on any bandwagon as im just learning the ins and outs of true home theater design but I DID build my entire setup myself, from the screen to the new ceiling tiles, and I was much more concerned with finding something to lay on my PJ shelf than waiting for all the kinks to get worked out. I have since enjoyed hours of entertainment that I otherwise would have missed out on. at 500 hours should the bulb crash on me, so be it. that 1 dollar/hour of enjoyment out of the bulb was to me well worth it, heck it would cost more to do that many trips to the commercial 3d theater and I couldnt keep my slippers and sweatpants on. Perhaps at that point they may have found that the bulbs jsut arent cutting it and offer some sort of deal on a new bulb. If it truly is a QC issue with them, i would expect something of the like. If not, then so be it, I will buy another bulb and continue to enjoy my new home theater.

what do they say, better to have loved and lost, than... Oh I cant remember the rest.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #4791 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I passed the 500 hr mark this week and I'm happy to report that neither the lamp or any other components auto-destroyed.

GO HABS GO!
post #4792 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:

See, this is something I need to reply to.. What is the point of paying so much money if you have to constantly worry about the lamp life to not even use it as it's intended for the best picture? Didn't JVC know that a higher lamp mode for 3D will need a quality lamp that can last without losing it's brightness after 100 or so hours? To pay so much money for 3D, and to not get the quality in lasting appeal (Early Dim Bulb by using 3D MODE), or not getting the best 3D pic (Lower setting) seems like a no win situation... Just saying from my perspective.

I just see that as inherent to current 3D technology and lamps. Will 3D cause more wear on your lamp than 2D? Yes, but I don't think there's a way around it at this time. I also don't think it's unique to any specific manufacturer/model. Bulbs that don't lose brightness would be great, but I don't think they're really an option right now. For example, are there any LED based projectors (or some equivalent), or do they all basically suffer from lamp wear?

As far as I know, it's just the nature of the beast that projector lamps wear over time, and current 3D technology will cause higher wear. Maybe the industry will come out with something better in the future.

You're right that there do seem to be RS40s that have dim lamps out of the box, or ones that fade excessively, but my understanding is that those are being covered under warranty.
post #4793 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech View Post

people not tolerating any critisism

Odd. I haven't seen anything like that. Maybe I'm interpreting posts differently, or not reading the right ones. I see some people disagree with particular criticisms (they have the right to their opinion too), but that's not the same as not tolerating them.
post #4794 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:

In order to get the best pic in 3D you need to put it in the 3D mode for a brighter setting, and that shortens it's life. I have realized that now after wanting one, and it is something that will happen with every RS40 that is used in 3D mode a seemingly low amount of hours. There is no getting around that if you want the highest quality 3D pic.

True. But I believe that's going to be true for any 3D projector right now, not just the RS40.

Quote:

I am not willing to send so much for 3D to get a projector that needs a lamp changed so often to keep the quality... It's just not that smart.

I would agree. My interest in the RS40 is mainly for 2D. I wasn't even planning on buying the emitter/glasses for a while. I'll probably get them eventually, and wind up using it for some 3D content, but don't think it'll be the majority of my viewing. I look at the 3D capabilities of the RS40 as more of a bonus, not really the main feature I'm looking for.

Of course, that may change the first time I see 3D on it.
post #4795 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Odd. I haven't seen anything like that. Maybe I'm interpreting posts differently, or not reading the right ones. I see some people disagree with particular criticisms (they have the right to their opinion too), but that's not the same as not tolerating them.

there is expressing opinion, then there is getting flamed, which i have seen. not in this thread or forum specifically, and i'm not saying this happened to me personally either.

it usually happens when people are defending their precious *insert here*.
post #4796 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I wouldn't take it that way Sam. Your upgrade cost was next to nothing and you got a good unit so you're in a completely different boat.

This is a large purchase for some and it takes some thought and likely these guys are just throwing their thoughts out there and probably want to upgrade but they may be afraid of investing in a product that might not be all that reliable (again, keep in mind this is probably a bigger investment for them than it was for you. Also, projectors are sold in much much smaller volumes compared to TVs and with not many places to go to determine reliability facts people do rely on boards like this to some extent.

Nice, haha I guess you have been reading my posts to know my next-to-nothing cost of the RS40. Same goes for ChrisDallas I believe as well, who might as well had robbed a bank when he sold his RS20, LOL.

But going back to the reliability and cost factors. This entire forum is based on high-end projectors $3000+ and typically a JVC pojector of this quality would not have sold for less than $5500 new last year and the 5 years before that. With that in mind, and if someone is considering spending $2500-$4000 on a new 65" 3D plasma, this JVC becomes more of a bargain, or a band for the buck, for the screen size they are getting in return, once they determine they have the proper room set up for a cinema projector. And considering that most cinema projectors by Epson, Panasonic, and other familiar names sell for the $2000-$5000 range, the $3000-$3500 cost of a new 3D capable RS40/X3 is well more than understandtable, hence why they can't make enough of them to fill the orders dating from September to February. I personally would not have been able to spend $3500 on a new projector had I not jumped the gun and sold my RS20 back in late September. But like many others, I had already spend $5000-$6000 on an RS2, then an RS20, this year I chose to sacrifice 2-3 months of a projecter-less theater rather than spend $2000 or more out of pocket to get it.

As far as the reliability factor, I have watched cinema projectors closely over the past 5 years and the RS40 does not have any more defect ratio or initial early bugs than most other comprable cinema projectors released and sold over the past 5 years. It goes without saying that the first 100 units will have more problems than the next 500, and the first 1000 will have more problems the the following 3000 units. QC is an evolutionary process, you simply cannot QC what you don't know about.

But the reason behind the manufacturing and shipment delays is the fact that JVC cannot make enough to go around. The same could have been said about the Wii consoles when first released. It took nintendo more than 2 years and nearly 3 holiday seasons to finally have more supply than demand. I don't fault JVC for making 1 or 5 out of a 100 projectors defected, but I do fault them for being shortsighted about the high demand of 3D projectors and falling short and behind with the pre-orders and new orders.

The active AVS forum members do not even form 1% of the entire AV consumer market. So just think for everyone here on this thread posting about wanting to buy an RS40/X3/RS50/X7, there are literary a dozen or more actual consumers, who never visit AVS or even care about a forum, ordering the same RS40 through RS60 projectors. So in other words, JVC is not behind on their manufacturing and shipment because the 3 dozen people posting on this thread, it's a bigger world out there, there are 100's of people walking into showrooms and AV big box stores buying these projectors and other projector brands every hour and every day. These projectors are really selling like hot cakes, I have called several local dealers in Denver and Houston and they're all saying that they simply cannot get enough from JVC to fullfil orders. My local JVC rep in colorado springs was selling up to 5 of them PER WEEK!!! And this is one dealer, and he does not have an actual showroom, since he is more of a custom install dealer.

So I hope this clears things up a bit about the delays, I am sure there are PLENTY of bad QCing taking place as we speak, but even from a Firmware perspective, there has only been ONE firmware since the original firmware, that doesn't tell me much about any MAJOR QCing or bugs going around. At the same time there are unfortunate incidents such as DOA and Defective units, it could very well be more common with the RS40/50 than previous JVC projectors which were originally manufactured in Japan, and that could also be because JVC is selling a heck of a lot more RS40s and RS50s than they ever sold RS10/20/25/35...etc. So probably similiar or slightly higher QC issues, based on the higher sale numbers.

And last I will leave you with the classic AVS response about reporting bugs. ONLY people who are having problems complain, the rest, like me, TOE, Kevin, Zbroke, Jason, and the dozens of other early owners (from Dec through Feb) are done spending hours of our days posting impressions about 3D and 2D, most of us are off and away in our own theaters enjoying these wonderful projectors, which I hope all others on the order list get to enjoy very soon.
post #4797 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

damnsam77

You can think what you like, but I was very interested in getting an RS40. Yet it's not hard to put 2 and 2 together about the lamp life. In order to get the best pic in 3D you need to put it in the 3D mode for a brighter setting, and that shortens it's life. I have realized that now after wanting one, and it is something that will happen with every RS40 that is used in 3D mode a seemingly low amount of hours. There is no getting around that if you want the highest quality 3D pic.

Mike, first of all, I am not sure why you decided to address me personally by bolding my screenname, that alone tells me you're taking things way too personally, especially with statements like "you can think what you like."

Any of us who bought into a new RS40/50/60 are and were fully aware of the fact that 3D will use highlamp mode as far back as September with the early pre-production units. So this is no mystery that you or others have unraveled. This will be the SAME case across the board with all lamp-based cinema projectors in 3D mode (notice I specifically said "cinema" projectors). But there are simple facts such as DOA and Defective units, it could very well be more common with the RS40/50 than previous lines, but there is a major difference between a projector with wide spread bugs and some plain DOA ones and ones with singificant lumens loss issues. And I hope JVC does improve their QC process for that matter because many of us waited 3-4 months to get our hands on these babies. And I know for a fact that both JVC, and especially AVS, have stoof 100% behind these projectors to the point where they're prioritizing DOA/Defective/Lemon replacements literary within days after reporting the issue. So if you are worried, then Please do buy your projector from AVScience to ensure the best post-sale customer support and replacements.

And secondly, I have more than 300 hours and many others have passed the 500 hour milestone on the lamps, and hardly any of us experienced any percepted loss of brightness, even though I am sure there is some, and so far I have counted exactly 4 people, who reported the light loss issue on this thread and the RS40 Lumen Loss thread, and there will always be more people reporting issues and defects than satisfied owners reporting glowing reports, when people are happy they do not complain, but they also unfortunately do no take the time to leave positive feedback either. But I, for one, project across a big 'ole 11 foot wide low 1.1 gain AT scope screen, and I have absolutely no problem lighting this sucker up in 3D mode, even after 300 hours, and I am still on a -7 aperture settings in 3D and -10 in 2D, and it STILL looks great and stunning in both 2D and 3D! JVC can say all they want about up to 3000 hours lamp life, but we all know than the real average is about 1500-2000 hours before you can crank up the aperture so far up to make up for the light loss. So I am personally prepared to replace the lamp after 1500 hours, and keep the original used lamp as a spare, and enjoy a new lamp every 1500 hours or so. Chances are I will probably upgrade to another 3D projector in 2 years or less if JVC or Panasonic or Epson make noticeable improvement in the technology.

Bottom line, if you think that because of 3D mode (e.g. high lamp mode) on the RS40 you will now have to replace your lamp every 500-700 hours then you're mistaken. Most of the the light loss on a lamp takes place in the first few hundred hours, primarily the first 200 hours or so. And for many of us who have logged 200-500 hours are still Very happy with the 3D image's punch and brightness. Some choose to have a REALLY bright image like Jason (Zombie10K) with the HP screen, and some of is would rather sacrifice a little bit of brightness for aesthetic reasons such as an AT screen wall. But the conclusion after almost 3 months, is that these new Arc 220 watt lamps are still going strong after even 500 hours or 3D and 2D usage.

But I am not going to convince you if you don't trust me word or the word of dozens of other respected AVS members who have gone on this owner's thread and said exactly the opposite of what you're suggesting, except they are all verified owners, and you have yet to take the dive. Again, best of luck to you, the only thing I would recommend to alleviate your fears of the lamp issues is to get a Panasonic 65" plasma or an LED-3D set, it will be a much smaller image, but you will not have to worry about the lamp issue, which is universal on all 3D/2D cinema projectors under $10,000.
post #4798 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech View Post

i agree that i think there is a fanatacism here on these forums with people not tolerating any critisism towards there loyalties. that is very odd to witness. it's like people take things personally when somebody points out that something is not kosher.

i don't think people like to hear bad things about the product they just bought, even though it serves as something positive in the long run, with fixes and solutions, and better QC...

i don't think i'm negative... i'm looking forward to my new pj. i have some concerns, but i would say they are justified considering the $$$ spent, and this is my first pj. that doesn't mean i don't want to take the plunge though.

I fully agree with you dude. I love my RS40 projector, and I can ONLY speak from my experience, which, knock on wood, has been flawless. But you have read my posts, I have publically criticized the way JVC handled the initial pre-orders, and now the following 3 months of orders, which they still cannot catch up to. They came out and said that they really did not think 3D would cause such an upstick in demand, so there weren't enough 3D glasses and emitters made. This is a problem that does not seem to affect as many consumers in the EU region, since their boxes came with 2 pairs of glasses and an emitter. So most of the complaints are probbably US-based. Many of us, myself included, have been very vocal about the lack of 720P SBS support for ESPN 3D on DirecTV and I have came out and said that JVC dropped the ball on this, and they have yet to pick it up, but all we hear is that they are working on it, so we just have to keep the faith.

My point is that if the complaints are valid, meaning based on widespread issues, and not speculations or small one-off defect/lemon cases, then most people on the owner's thread will not act defesively about it. But if someone is going to speculate about the lamp life in 3D, this old dead horse again, then I can see how some people could lose their cool, because this record has been spinning for 3 months now, and to the majority of us who'd had the RS40's or R50's for 60-90 days and have logged more than 300 hours on it with little noticeable lumens loss, are simply tired of hearing the propganda. I mean if it's not about the lamp life in 3D, it's about how much "better" the $700 optoma is. So as you see, it just gets kind of old and annoying after it's been addresses numerous times by numerous verified owners.

At the same time as I had explained above, there are simple unfortunate incidents such as DOA and Defective units, it could very well be more common with the RS40/50 than previous JVC projectors which were originally manufactured in Japan, but now are china-based, so there is a major difference between a projector with wide spread bugs and some plain DOA ones and ones with singificant lumens loss issues. And I hope JVC does improve their QC process for that matter because many of us waited 3-4 months to get our hands on these babies.

As far as reporting of major bugs which are more wide-spread than a half dozen people, I have not seen anything on this forum to think that there is a majaor catastrophy in the QC or manufacturing lines at JVC. I admit I have not been on this forum much in the past month or so, but I have kept up with most of the posts, and again, there isn't much to report but the one-off bad convergence issues and one new owner, I believe Jospeh Clark, who noticed a significant brightness/lumens loss after 100-200 hours. But he is the same one with the Extremely defective unit with the very bad convergence that can be seen a mile away.

I think we should use this owner's thread to report all bugs, and I have made myself available to post new bugs on the first page to report to JVC. But we're not going to publish one-off defect/lemon issues, those are clearly outside the norm, and would be applicable with just about any technology from a dish washer to a $30K DLP projector.

For the soon-to-be owners such as you and Mike and XB, all I can say is wait and see how your RS40/RS50 looks before making any judgement, you literary have a 1 in 30 or 1 in 50 chances of having a defective or buggy projector. You, as post-3months-owners, will have even LESS of a chance of getting a defective or badly converged projector, than many of us crazy early owners who took a huge chance and rolled the dice. My RS40 could have literary one of the first 10 in the entire country and it came in as early as December 3rd, which definitely tells me that my RS40 was one of the ones on the first shipment, and literary the first ship out of China to California.
post #4799 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:

My interest in the RS40 is mainly for 2D. I wasn't even planning on buying the emitter/glasses for a while. I'll probably get them eventually, and wind up using it for some 3D content, but don't think it'll be the majority of my viewing. I look at the 3D capabilities of the RS40 as more of a bonus, not really the main feature I'm looking for.

If I had a pound (or a dollar) for each person who has walked into our demo room saying that and then walked out converted (and with a 3D Blu-ray player on their shopping list), I'd have quite a nice little pile of cash by now
post #4800 of 10035 Old 02-23-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK View Post

If I had a pound (or a dollar) for each person who has walked into our demo room saying that and then walked out converted (and with a 3D Blu-ray player on their shopping list), I'd have quite a nice little pile of cash by now

For sure...there are a number of purists being converted. I keep saying to people, even if you don't see 3D as "purist", it sure is a hell of a lot of fun! So just enjoy it!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page