2Likes

post #4861 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq

Yes, exactly my point. But I think it's wrong and should not be acceptable. You think a guy who buys an M5 is only entitled to 500hp if he has access to a dyno to make sure? You think a 400hp M5 merely has an "other's perception" of deficiency? Am I misunderstanding you?
Yeah, he wouldn't know he's missing something but would feel cheated for sure if he finds out somehow. Same with a projector. I didn't have a projector for about 4-5 years and the one I had was a VGA resolution Infocus X1 projecting on a white wall in a white room... I have certain expectations of what the picture should look like, but am afraid that I will miss shortcomings as well as the closest thing I have seen to this new RS40 was a short demo of a JVC HD550 in a room that was not 100% light controlled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Yes, exactly my point. But I think it's wrong and should not be acceptable. You think a guy who buys an M5 is only entitled to 500hp if he has access to a dyno to make sure? You think a 400hp M5 merely has an "other's perception" of deficiency? Am I misunderstanding you?
an observation that lumens are off by 10% is a perceived deficiency to some, yes. to me it's probably acceptable. i would let my eyes be the judge.

the guy with the m5 is not getting bmw's stated 500hp anyway so let's get away from that analogy. unless you really do think you're getting 500 ponies in your m5 out of the factory, then i hate to be the bearer of bad news... you're short a few ponies
post #4863 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech View Post
an observation that lumens are off by 10% is a perceived deficiency to some, yes. to me it's acceptable.

the guy with the m5 is not getting bmw's stated 500hp anyway so let's get away from that analogy. unless you really do think you're getting 500 ponies in your m5, then i hate to be the bearer of bad news...
Actually you do. BMW would be in trouble if not. The procedure to measure engine power out is very rigorous and pretty accurate. Of course there is sample-to-sample variation, ultimate power depends on the fuel quality, altitude, etc. And of course drivetrain losses mean fewer ponies hit the wheels. Typically like 20% less. Still with cars you get the power you're paying for and while it may degrade over time it will take many, many thousands of miles before that happens. Not so with projectors....

I have 30 hrs on my RS40 and last night I got impression that the brightness dropped noticeably. Not a huge drop but such that I notice. I am going to see if I can measure the light with my light meter and keep track of it.
post #4864 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemat View Post
Actually you do. BMW would be in trouble if not. The procedure to measure engine power out is very rigorous and pretty accurate. Of course there is sample-to-sample variation, ultimate power depends on the fuel quality, altitude, etc. And of course drivetrain losses mean fewer ponies hit the wheels. Typically like 20% less. Still with cars you get the power you're paying for and while it may degrade over time it will take many, many thousands of miles before that happens. Not so with projectors....

I have 30 hrs on my RS40 and last night I got impression that the brightness dropped noticeably. Not a huge drop but such that I notice. I am going to see if I can measure the light with my light meter and keep track of it.
so do you think you actually get the advertised mpg too? i say nay...
post #4865 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
so do you think you actually get the advertised mpg too? i say nay...
Well, that's different, because the EPA procedure for estimating fuel economy is pretty unrealistic and again quality of fuel interferes with the figure. Frigging ethanol alone on my car lowers the MPG by at least 3 mpg (out of rated 24 mpg). And those bastards want to put even more of that crap in the fuel than the current 10%... Then manufactures use the crappiest hardest tires with super low rolling resistance. Usually swapping the tires to something decent takes away another couple mpg.

But seriously with cars you often get more than on paper. Case in point: 335i. Significantly underrated. Ok, enough off-topic.
post #4866 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 02:58 PM

all the more reason to not compare a car to a projector. they are totally different... i'm now leaning more towards the sony b stock vw85 as the days pass.
post #4867 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 03:05 PM

my point was, you hardly ever get what is advertised by a manufacturer. the specs are always a little off. JVC's specs are said to be pretty close to advertised, but even they are under a bit when tested.
post #4868 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post
Nav,
As an owner, you should not hesitate to post or report issues on this thread. This is afterall the owner's thread, and our input is the only verifiable one. Most people that get criticized for posting issues are the ones who are not even owners yet, and in some cases are not even planning on becoming RS40/50 owners and are just here to talk about other projectors or offer their negative speculations based on a handful of defective reports.

If you are an owner, you have 100% right to post your conerns, and even ask the stupidest and most noob-ish questions. This is why we create these owner threads, so that the new owners lucky enough to know about AVForums and AVSforums can share their experiences, both good and bad. So please don't think that most of us are so loyal to one brand or another that we would shun any new owners when and if they report a problem. During my first week of testing I reported several bugs, most of which were caused by my AVR's default scaling and upconverting. But I was the first one to report the "gamma" lock in 3D when cycling back to Gamma A from B using the remote. And 2 weeks later JVC had a firmware update to resolve it. I was also one of the first ones to report the 720P SBS incomptability issue and both Kevin (KRichter1) and myself have been very upfront and vocal about this issue. And I don't remember any of us being shunned or scolded by other members because we made the impression that these projectors are not 100% perfect.

So please do post your impression, good or bad.

Part of it is me being completely new to projectors and I was trying to wait until I hit about 100 hours though I think my issue is independent of lamp life. Basically I wanted to know if it is, hmmm, not sure how to word this but within spec to have my lower right hand corner when I am looking at the zoom grid (also the Disney WOW/DVE overscan pics) if it should be inch(es) below that of the left-hand corner. Almost like someone pinched an edge. I'll attempt to post a picture later on. (Does anyone have preferred camera settings for a Canon XSI? (low light, "no" light, overhead light)).

My screen, center stage xd (I LOVE it!!!), seems fine and when I zoom in the zoom grid seems to have 90 degree angles but as I attempt to fill my screen that when my lower right edge hits the velvet a "long" time before my lower left edge.

Now, Sam, let me say, you were correct in your 3D statements. I was absolutely anti-3D or maybe ambivalent...no, I hated 3D...anyway, W-O-W do we like it :-) Could I live without it ABSOLUTELY because I do love the 2D picture the projector throws. Also, as one of those with SERIOUS ambient light it is more than acceptable to me with lights on and an AT screen (did I say I LOVE my center stage?). Keep in mind everyone that I came from a Mits 65" DLP so keep that in mind while I rave about how good the picture is and take the size difference newness into account as well. My 65' active USB works with Kinect with NO issues, none, which was very important to us.

Now for you picture purists I have to admit almost all of our viewing of content save 3D is through the 360 and Zune marketplace so if someone has 360 settings with Zune HD content then games then Netflix (settings for the content in their respective order) I would greatly appreciate some settings to start with.

My setup:
The room the projector went in: http://gallery.me.com/trueice/100230/IMG_5496_2/web.jpg <---yes the room does get that bright...
RS40
Onkyo TX-SR608
Samsung BD-6800
360 S w/ Kinect
previously had an A35 but just got sold so now I'm down to 360 HD DVD player.
Harmony 900 (YTF is the 900 so bad...half the settings seem to not work...)
DefTech SSA-50
post #4869 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
all the more reason to not compare a car to a projector.
Can we at least still compare our RS40 projectors to windshield wipers, door frames, and tooth brushes?
post #4870 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by c5z06 View Post
A quick note:

Over the past weekend I was able to install my 130" HP screen /4311ci / oppo 93, 9.1 klipsch / rs40. (80% complete on my install)

I had 8" samples up before and only had 8hrs on the bulb. My convergence was off a little and noticed slight digital noise. Corrected convergence blue vertical 1 click.

I am at 28hrs now after my install and absolutely LOVE the image. So far Ive viewed Salt and Red and WOW. No noise, convergence is not an issue and the image is damn nice....I am finally enjoying my rs40 and very very happy. Just hope my bulb life continues to produce the images I am seeing in the future.

Thanks AVS (Jason T and Mark H...) also Zbroke,Zombie10k,jonstatt,sam an others...

Are there any tips to preserving bulb life asides from high lamp mod 3D content etc. For example what power surcharge protector should I get specifically for the rs40 ?
glad to hear you like the projector. The HP screen & the JVC in 3D are a perfect match, especially at 130"+. You might notice some bulb dimming after the first 100 hours, it's a real torch out of the box with the HP screen. Thankfully the HP provides the extra boost when the lamp starts to fade over time.

You can try running in low lamp for 2D mode to preserve some of the bulb life. Here is a thread discussion UPS systems at home. I have an APC 1400watt setup that I use.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1315870

Have you watched any 3D yet?
post #4871 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am not quite sure I understand your main concern with the corners, sorry I've had quite the day at work. But sometimes you will be surprised how slightly uneven soffets, ceiling, and other structural or framing related construction can cause the image to not be level. My screen was literary off level wise from one corner to the other by almost 3/4" so I had to tilt to adjust the height of my DIY framed AT screen and tilt my screen downward on the left side by that much to make it level with the projector which is level. So I am not sure if it is my screen not perfect to the 1/16th of an inch in height across the width of the screen frame, or maybe my soffet above the screen must have been slightly off but on an 11 foot stretch that can really add up to an inch almost. S

As far as xbxo 360 settings I really still use my own user preset from the first page, or the Cinema preset which is recommended by many games to get a slightly better gamma and brightness.

By the way I love my Kinect, but I hate the fact that it's so hard with a front projector to not block the light in the center when playing, I always have to sit on the edges of the kinect camera detection zone, and many times Kinect would ask me to move more to the center but I end up blocking the Projector light path which blows! I only have 8 foot ceilings and the projector is at 7 ft height.

Glad you liked 3D, I knew I was going to like 3D when 3D flat panels came last Spring, but I was not sure how good or better the RS40 would be in comparison to a good LED or Plasma 3D TV. Man was I surprised or what! The RS40 instantly put my Sony 55" to shame when it came to 3D, with the exception of 3D games which do look better on a smaller screen due to the resolution limitations in current 3D games.

As far as presevring precious lamp lumens, which I believe c5z06 brought up, as Jason mentioned above, use normal mode for 2D viewings, and try your best to lower the aperture settings to -5 or even -10 in 3D and 2D respectively. This will help ease the adjustments when the original lamp lumens start to go down. Then you can initially bring the aperture back up as you hit each milestone (500 hours, 1000 hours, 1500 hours...etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavNucST3 View Post
Part of it is me being completely new to projectors and I was trying to wait until I hit about 100 hours though I think my issue is independent of lamp life. Basically I wanted to know if it is, hmmm, not sure how to word this but within spec to have my lower right hand corner when I am looking at the zoom grid (also the Disney WOW/DVE overscan pics) if it should be inch(es) below that of the left-hand corner. Almost like someone pinched an edge. I'll attempt to post a picture later on. (Does anyone have preferred camera settings for a Canon XSI? (low light, "no" light, overhead light)).

My screen, center stage xd (I LOVE it!!!), seems fine and when I zoom in the zoom grid seems to have 90 degree angles but as I attempt to fill my screen that when my lower right edge hits the velvet a "long" time before my lower left edge.

Now, Sam, let me say, you were correct in your 3D statements. I was absolutely anti-3D or maybe ambivalent...no, I hated 3D...anyway, W-O-W do we like it :-) Could I live without it ABSOLUTELY because I do love the 2D picture the projector throws. Also, as one of those with SERIOUS ambient light it is more than acceptable to me with lights on and an AT screen (did I say I LOVE my center stage?). Keep in mind everyone that I came from a Mits 65" DLP so keep that in mind while I rave about how good the picture is and take the size difference newness into account as well. My 65' active USB works with Kinect with NO issues, none, which was very important to us.

Now for you picture purists I have to admit almost all of our viewing of content save 3D is through the 360 and Zune marketplace so if someone has 360 settings with Zune HD content then games then Netflix (settings for the content in their respective order) I would greatly appreciate some settings to start with.

My setup:
The room the projector went in: http://gallery.me.com/trueice/100230/IMG_5496_2/web.jpg <---yes the room does get that bright...
RS40
Onkyo TX-SR608
Samsung BD-6800
360 S w/ Kinect
previously had an A35 but just got sold so now I'm down to 360 HD DVD player.
Harmony 900 (YTF is the 900 so bad...half the settings seem to not work...)
DefTech SSA-50
post #4872 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

an observation that lumens are off by 10% is a perceived deficiency to some, yes. to me it's probably acceptable. i would let my eyes be the judge.

the guy with the m5 is not getting bmw's stated 500hp anyway so let's get away from that analogy. unless you really do think you're getting 500 ponies in your m5 out of the factory, then i hate to be the bearer of bad news... you're short a few ponies

From what I'm reading they're not talking 10%. I think I'd agree with you if that were the case.

And unclemat knows whereof he speaks when it comes to cars. You are not the bearer of bad news. You are the bearer of fake news.
post #4873 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

From what I was seeing, those with defective bulbs were getting something like half the lumens out of it. I would assume a professional calibrator (like Tom or Jason) would probably be able notice that even without a meter. I could be wrong though.

I think they don't state a specific tolerance for the lumens that they measure against, because every projector/bulb will be slightly different. However, I would assume that they would know a defective bulb when they saw one.

You're right though. If that's not the case, and their typical QC won't pick up on a bulb problem like that, I'd have to rethink (again) whether it's worth it. It almost comes to the point where saving the money on their premium service would get me half way towards buying the equipment to check it myself (assuming I can figure out how to do that).

I'm probably just worrying too much.

Hi Shagg,

As others have stated, you are paying a decent amount of money and it is only natural to have concerns about a newly designed projector.

It seems to me that paying $300 for a calibration is reasonable. My only point in my earlier posting was for you to not immediately assume that you are guaranteed that a low lumen situation would be picked up when this is not even mentioned as part of the Premium Service.

As others have stated it is true that a novice might not even initally notice a low lumen situation and would enjoy a great image, at least at first. However, it is also true that a low lumen situation would become more obvious with increasing screen size, as the ambient light levels increase, as the lamp ages, after a typical calibration, and when switching to 3D viewing.

So you are not being unreasonable in being concerned about reports from reliable sources of low lumens. If it is low out of the box following a calibration its certainly not going to improve with use.

Larry
post #4874 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Did you order yours via AVS or a local dealer?

I ordered it from ABT. No problems. Great price and great customer service. Price was actually about $100 less than AVS. I'm not knocking AVS or its loyal customers, just pointing out that there are other options. If people chose to wait for AVS that's great, but don't whine about it.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #4875 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post

I ordered it from ABT. No problems. Great price and great customer service. Price was actually about $100 less than AVS. I'm not knocking AVS or its loyal customers, just pointing out that there are other options. If people chose to wait for AVS that's great, but don't whine about it.

Easy with the price talk...I betcha' $10 Jason will price match, if just on principle.
post #4876 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

That shouldn't be too hard, since ABT is currently selling at MSRP and are backordered.

Larry

Most places you have to call to get the better deal. But I will wait a little while longer.
post #4877 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

edit: I saw your theater build, very nice. if you are a DIY type, you can get the appropriate meter / software for a fair price from Tom @ Chromapure and learn to calibrate yourself. The basics are straightforward and you can correct the majority of the color errors as the lamp ages.

Hi Jason,

Sorry I missed your edit until now.

Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, I've been trying to follow the calibration thread. I might be up to purchasing an inexpensive Colorimeter sensor, but I think an accurate light meter to track lumens as the lamp ages would probably be more than I could justify.

Larry
post #4878 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:

Hi Jason,

Sorry I missed your edit until now.

Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, I've been trying to follow the calibration thread. I might be up to purchasing an inexpensive Colorimeter sensor, but I think an accurate light meter to track lumens as the lamp ages would probably be more than I could justify.

Larry

The calibration thread can be tough to follow sometimes. I have the Chroma 5 pro meter and Chromapure software from Tom Huffman. They will calibrate the meter against an expensive reference meter and build the offset into your specific license of the software. It should be re-calibrated once a year to make sure it hasn't drifted.

Overall I found the price for the meter and software very affordable for it's capabilities. A few notable benefits is that the Chroma 5 meter is fast at reading even in low light and also does not require a dark reading calibration which can take up some time on other meters.

The software is also straight forward to use, and the help guides are easy to read & understand. I think most DIY folks would get the hang of the basic grey scale calibration in a few nights of experimenting with different settings. After the RS50, I went and calibrated my 2 Panasonic G15 Plasma's and they look better then ever.
post #4879 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:

an observation that lumens are off by 10% is a perceived deficiency to some, yes. to me it's probably acceptable.

I'm not worried about 10%, that's probably just within normal tolerance for a working bulb. I'm worried about something more like 50% that some people have been seeing. Am I just worrying too much... probably.

Would the average person notice 400hp vs 500hp in their BMW, probably not. But if there is a perception (right or wrong) that there are QC issues with the engine, they'd probably want to make sure that they were getting one firing on all cylinders when they handed over their money.
post #4880 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The calibration thread can be tough to follow sometimes. I have the Chroma 5 pro meter and Chromapure software from Tom Huffman. They will calibrate the meter against an expensive reference meter and build the offset into your specific license of the software. It should be re-calibrated once a year to make sure it hasn't drifted.

Overall I found the price for the meter and software very affordable for it's capabilities. A few notable benefits is that the Chroma 5 meter is fast at reading even in low light and also does not require a dark reading calibration which can take up some time on other meters.

The software is also straight forward to use, and the help guides are easy to read & understand. I think most DIY folks would get the hang of the basic grey scale calibration in a few nights of experimenting with different settings. After the RS50, I went and calibrated my 2 Panasonic G15 Plasma's and they look better then ever.

Hi Jason,

At close to $600 that package is more than I was considering.

In order to track lumens wouldn't we still have to spend roughly another $200 for a suitable light meter?

Thanks.

Larry
post #4881 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:

my point was, you hardly ever get what is advertised by a manufacturer. the specs are always a little off. JVC's specs are said to be pretty close to advertised, but even they are under a bit when tested.

At least in my case, the concern isn't whether or not the specs are optimistic. It's a matter of making sure that I have a projector working as it supposed to be, versus a QC issue. Newbies have a harder time telling if there is an issue that they should be contacting their dealer about because we don't have any frame of reference.
post #4882 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:

Hi Jason,

At close to $600 that package is more than I was considering.

Keep in mind that if you do want an occasional "tune up" on the calibration, paying someone else to do it for you will exceed that pretty quickly. So it'll end up paying for itself in the long run. This is probably the package I'll eventually get by the time mine would need a tune up.

Quote:

In order to track lumens wouldn't we still have to spend roughly another $200 for a suitable light meter?

A little less than $200, but yes. There's a thread over in the "Display Calibration" forum with some good recommendations for what luminance meter to get.
post #4883 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

...But the reason behind the manufacturing and shipment delays is the fact that JVC cannot make enough to go around...

What are you basing your statement "JVC cannot make enough to go around" when AVS can't even get their pre-orders filled? It appears to me that there's not a lot of units out there and this is why it "seems" that the number of issues seem rather high. If this projector had been out there for some time then the complaints here on AVS wouldn't hold as much weight. However, that just doesn't seem to be the case. I only have one local dealer and I don't think they've had these in very long. I didn't ask any details. In fact those rascals didn't even want to put the lamp in low lamp mode for me and close down the iris so that I could see how good the black levels could go. I felt like I was at Best Buy.
post #4884 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

I'm not worried about 10%, that's probably just within normal tolerance for a working bulb. I'm worried about something more like 50% that some people have been seeing. Am I just worrying too much... probably.

Hi Shagg,

As I mentioned earlier I don't think it is unreasonable for you to be concerned. However, unless AVS changes their Premium Service to specifically assure a certain lumen output there is really nothing that can be done to to guarantee what you will be getting in advance.

So since there is nothing you can do you might as well relax a bit, stop worrying unduly, and rest assured that AVS will make things right in the event you have an obvious problem.

The problem is prospective buyers really don't have sufficient reports on measured lumens to draw any reasonable inferences. For instance, is the following report the norm or a defective lamp?

In this case the initial lumen output looks very encouraging, but the output at 300+ hours is troubling, particularly if the measurements were taken in the normal (low lamp) setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardos View Post

How is the experience with the bulb performance?

Here my measurements in normal lamp mode@D65:

hours lumen loss
000 833 0%
120 630 24%
200 563 32%
220 495 41%
320 495 41%
330 450 46%

I only used the eco lamp mode until yet, but now I have to swith to the loud "normal" lamp mode.

I hope that I only got a bad bulb!! Any comments about that?

Larry
post #4885 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I agree with Shagg. beastaudio and others, there are Dozens of us with perfectly functional RS40s, RS50s, X3's and X7's...It's not fair to microanalyze the handful of actual defect cases. I feel like not only are you trying to talk yourself out of it, but you're trying to talk others out of it too.

There have been 100's of these projectors sold and shipped, and we only know of a very few number of projectors that we can probably count on one hand which had the noticeable or somewhat severe defect. And in this case, JVC and AVS are making the replacements a priority over new orders. I am not quite sure what the big fuss is, just like any electronic or AV device out there, some will have defects or convergence issues. This has been the case for 20 years.

Honestly no one is out there twisiting anyone's arms to buy one. The great majority of us owners are happy, ECSTATIC with our purchase. 3D, 2D, convergence and everything else in between. Best of luck in your buying decision.

+1 !!

Beast is a great example of perspective, not to mention the crap that Geoff went through and I bet neither would trade their machines for any other! And for the record I have had Z-E-R-O issues with my 50 that firmware would (and will) fix.

And this isn't my first rodeo either; I've owned 9 PJ's prior and this one is the king of the mountain bar none!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #4886 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 PM

Liked: 13
So after reading this thread for the last couple of weeks I ordered the RS40 today from my local dealer. Some of the recent posts made me pause. Lumen drop off, early shut down from heating, reds out of adjustment to mention a few. But in the end I have purchased a number of items from the dealer and he has always made sure everything was right.

Nine years ago I purchased my first projector, an InFocus Screenplay 7200. When I look at the projectors today I find it hard to believe that the list price of the InFocus was $7995 when I bought mine. The improvements in the projector field really are amazing. I replace the InFocus a year ago with an Optoma TX-1080 and left DVD's for blu ray. With a 3600 Lumen output I almost needed sunglasses to watch the bright sceens. Alas I just got the bug to go 3D and so off to "Wonderland" I go.

One quick question. My screen is 108 inches long with a 123 inch diagonal. Do I say it is 108 inches or 123 inches?

Regards,
Gary
post #4887 of 10035 Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryArthur View Post

One quick question. My screen is 108 inches long with a 123 inch diagonal. Do I say it is 108 inches or 123 inches?

Regards,
Gary

Unfortunately you have to specify. A while ago it was getting customary to talk about front projection screens in terms of width. But that's not done enough to be a standard anymore.
post #4888 of 10035 Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anson View Post

Ati007: Seriously?? I'll give that a go tomorrow, many thanks. I neglected to mention that the OSD does work when the ATV2 or DVR inputs are selected. Glad you assumed it was not disabled!

Thanks to Ati007, disabling OSD on the Onkyo PR-SC886 fixed the HDMI sync issues with 720p and 1080i signals!

The abnormal electrical error occurred again on startup (2nd and 3rd LEDs blinking simultaneously 3 times, continuously), leaving the projector non-responsive so I had to unplug power and plug in again to reset. Second startup attempt was successful and I was able to verify the OSD fix.

Has anyone experienced this error before? I'm going to experiment a bit to see if startup order is the culprit. I had the pre-pro powered up with no sources on when I tried to start up the projector. But I believe my DVR was already powered up by the time I got a successful startup. I'll have to try other powered up scenarios. Not a nice problem.
post #4889 of 10035 Old 02-25-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

You are not the bearer of bad news. You are the bearer of fake news.

lol good one. If he knew what he was talking about, he would know that BMW actually underrates their horsepower, the 335 for example.
post #4890 of 10035 Old 02-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:

glad to hear you like the projector. The HP screen & the JVC in 3D are a perfect match, especially at 130"+. You might notice some bulb dimming after the first 100 hours, it's a real torch out of the box with the HP screen. Thankfully the HP provides the extra boost when the lamp starts to fade over time.

You can try running in low lamp for 2D mode to preserve some of the bulb life. Here is a thread discussion UPS systems at home. I have an APC 1400watt setup that I use.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1315870

Have you watched any 3D yet?

Hi Jason,

3D is amazing from what I saw just from down-loadable ps3 3d demos.

Thanks for the link on the APC thread. Was wondering on your 1400w are you able to configure auto-shutdown using the JVC's trigger hooked up to your APC? Or when power goes off do you need to turn off the projector manually.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page