Old 02-28-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by S A M 33 View Post

Finally got my hands on a copy of AVATAR 3D.

PS - Oh, and I guess I should point out that mine is a side-by-side copy, so I guess technically it can look even better!

The SBS is a little soft in appearance compared to the real BD disk. Hook up and see it for all it's worth in full frame packed 1080P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The SBS is a little soft in appearance compared to the real BD disk. Hook up and see it for all it's worth in full frame packed 1080P.

Oh I intend to, just as soon as I can purchase one from a legitimate retail source for a reasonable price. I will not pay over 100 dollars to someone on eBay.

Mine's a copy a friend gave me, I didn't buy it. Where it came from I don't know, but I can tell you it looks real good. I do understand though that side by side is technically half -resolution to frame packed, correct?

I have to say I think the whole "exclusive" thing is suicidally dumb on the part of manufacturers who want 3D to take off. They're just shooting themselves in the foot, I won't be forced or tricked into buying a product I don't want to get one damned disc!

To take what is arguably the one film that could most make people want to get a 3D system and do this is just beyond me.

S A M 33
Old 02-28-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario021976 View Post

That was my first and last order with jvc. Never again! Thank you very much jvc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOENIGGE View Post

Who else does business like this? The only thing I can assume is that because of the high demand for the RS40 JVC thinks they have customers over a barrel and if they don't like waiting they can just go purchase elseware. Sony could make a killing right now if they came out with a baby brother 3D projector to the Sony 90.

It will be fun to read the comments on this thread when I get back. No doubt the JVC fanboys will defend JVC and those that have been waiting since October (5months? Ridiculous) will bash JVC. I'm not sure I can blame them for being so upset

I think most folks can relate to you guys being upset about having to wait so long. I've had the RS40 since the 2nd week of December and replaced it with an RS50 a month later.

it sounds like JVC really under estimated the demand and AVS is just 1 company they have to provide projectors to. There are a number of different places you guys could have bought the 40/50 from in the last few months. Some were not much more than the pre-order price, others were gouging out the eyes because they had limited stock.

JVC should extend the pre-order price to all current dealers to make up for the delays and spread the load more evenly.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

There are a number of different places you guys could have bought the 40/50 from in the last few months. Some were not much more than the pre-order price, others were gouging out the eyes because they had limited stock.

You're right we could have gone somewhere else to purchase our projectors or we could have switched to another brand. But we didnt we stuck by JVC and by AVS

So it seems like those of us who have been waiting since October have more loyalty to JVC and AVS than JVC has towards us.

Even if JVC extended the preorder price to all current dealers what does that do for us who have been waiting since October ?? I had to return my previous JVC back in Sept. So I have been waiting for a replace ment since then. I think JVC owes us loyal customers a free bulb or an extended warranty. I know thats a pipe dream but those of you who have had a projector since November or have returned one and upgraded have to realize this Ia getting ridiculous ?
Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh I intend to, just as soon as I can purchase one from a legitimate retail source for a reasonable price. I will not pay over 100 dollars to someone on eBay.

Mine's a copy a friend gave me, I didn't buy it. Where it came from I don't know, but I can tell you it looks real good. I do understand though that side by side is technically half -resolution to frame packed, correct?

I have to say I think the whole "exclusive" thing is suicidally dumb on the part of manufacturers who want 3D to take off. They're just shooting themselves in the foot, I won't be forced or tricked into buying a product I don't want to get one damned disc!

To take what is arguably the one film that could most make people want to get a 3D system and do this is just beyond me.

S A M 33

The exclusives definitely hurt the adoption of 3D in my opinion, and forces the ridiculous pricing we see on ebay.

I've seen SBS of Toy Story 3 and Nightmare Before Christmas. I believe they were recorded from TV and the 3D was preserved. I appreciate the 3D, but the softness of the resolution loss stands out a bit on my 142" screen. I need every bit of the frame packed 1080P quality.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think the BW is a good material.
Do you guys have the Precision or Criterion frames?

Both my screens are the Criterion series. If you are going to mount your projector above or below the actual screen viewing surface, the Precision screen frame will cast a shadow. Probably not an issue for most setups. But, if the projector is mounted quite a bit above or below the respective screen edge, it might be visible.

Rick
Old 02-28-2011, 02:51 PM

"I appreciate the 3D, but the softness of the resolution loss stands out a bit on my 142" screen. I need every bit of the frame packed 1080P quality."

Well I hear you, I have a huge screen too.
But I have to say this SBS AVATAR I have seems to be razor sharp - if it came from foreign broadcast (and I've had some recorded Hi Def discs made that way I got from friends before) it's astonishingly good. Full surround sound, the whole works.

I can hardly wait to see a frame packed version. Like I said, just SELL me one you jerks, and I'll gladly buy it. They're almost ASKING to be ripped off with this policy.

S A M 33
Old 02-28-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Yup. 2012 baby....thanks Jimbo for the "unobtanium"
Old 02-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

You're right we could have gone somewhere else to purchase our projectors or we could have switched to another brand. But we didnt we stuck by JVC and by AVS

So it seems like those of us who have been waiting since October have more loyalty to JVC and AVS than JVC has towards us.

Even if JVC extended the preorder price to all current dealers what does that do for us who have been waiting since October ?? I had to return my previous JVC back in Sept. So I have been waiting for a replace ment since then. I think JVC owes us loyal customers a free bulb or an extended warranty. I know thats a pipe dream but those of you who have had a projector since November or have returned one and upgraded have to realize this Ia getting ridiculous ?

+1 to that!

I'm in exactly the same boat, having pre-ordered very early in October.

After each delay, the frustration builds. I have been weighing the options with more and more consideration. I'm about to the point where I say "f* it" to the RS-40 and look elsewhere or wait until next year.

JVC is certainly not earning any loyalty with this debacle, particularly given the way they've remained silent. Their actions unfortunately serve to cast a shadow on AVS, who are at JVC's mercy as far as receiving shipments.

I sympathize completely with AVS - I'm quite sure they'd love to ship a boatload of these things tomorrow. It seems they're being jerked around and fed only scraps of information from JVC. But as a consumer, to say I'm not happy with this most recent delay is a tremendous understatement.

It's ridiculous.

I'm kicking myself for not jumping on a B-stock Sony to hold me over until next years models.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Please guys. I post and while you don't attack AV Science, all I see is a fire storm that my post giving out the best information I have when I get it causes. Alan, I, and the others at AV Science feel your pain and we want so badly to be able to post good news and have happy customers.

Since I have no reason for the delay, there is no point in speculating why so please don't.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

I'm kicking myself for not jumping on a B-stock Sony to hold me over until next years models.

I didn't see that in time, and...I'm shy to buy a B-stock item with limited warranty coverage, particularly when I'm in Canada and the pj would come from down south. Although the price was crazy low, I still am ok to take my chances with an RS40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewing57 View Post

Both my screens are the Criterion series. If you are going to mount your projector above or below the actual screen viewing surface, the Precision screen frame will cast a shadow. Probably not an issue for most setups. But, if the projector is mounted quite a bit above or below the respective screen edge, it might be visible.

Yeah, that is true. I am planning to aim my projector between the top and bottom of the frame, probably just on the lower side of vertical centre. The other issue with the precision screen is that if your head is below the bottom of the screen, the screen frame itself will block out the screen above. For this reason, and the height issue I mentioned earlier, my initial setup will be a blackout material screen built-up from my older screen frame. Without a set screen frame taking up vertical space and interfering with horizontal issues, I will be able to mount my screen in a better range of positions. Once I figure things out, I'll probably be able to go with a Carada....but....

That being said, I wonder what screen material out there is closest in performance to the Brilliant White Carada screen material. Carada simply refuses to sell their screen material separately. Drives me crazy too, because I'd love to flip the buttons around and make my own custom screen frame to better fit my situation. Anyways, I'm just thinking out loud and getting off topic. Perhaps I'll go visit the screen forum
Old 02-28-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

S A M 33 ^^

Is your copy different than the ones being gouged.....errrrrr.......sold at a premium on Ebay?

I really don't know why anyone would still be paying a high eBay price for the 3D Avatar BD given that you can now get one for free with the purchase of a Panasonic Blu-ray 3D player (details of offer is HERE). If nothing else buy the player, send in for the Avatar 3D BD, and if you really don't need the player (i.e., you already have a Blu-ray 3D player), then go ahead and sell it on eBay.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I really don't know why anyone would still be paying a high eBay price for the 3D Avatar BD given that you can now get one for free with the purchase of a Panasonic Blu-ray 3D player (details of offer is HERE). If nothing else buy the player, send in for the Avatar 3D BD, and if you really don't need the player (i.e., you already have a Blu-ray 3D player), then go ahead and sell it on eBay.

True, but it's still ridiculous to make consumers jump through so many hoops, and besides, depending on what you can get for the player on eBay, you might still take a bit of a thumping cost-wise.

Time, shipping, etc. - Joe or Jane Average is just not going to do this, and it hurts the adoption of the 3D format overall if you ask me.

S A M 33
Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 PM

Mark,

I appreciate the updated information from JVC. Good or bad, knowing is better than wondering. Thanks for keeping us informed.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Thanks S A M 33. Now Jane and Joe have PMed me bitching about you calling them Average. They want all to know that they are Above Average.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones

Quote:

True, but it's still ridiculous to make consumers jump through so many hoops, and besides, depending on what you can get for the player on eBay, you might still take a bit of a thumping cost-wise.

Time, shipping, etc. - Joe or Jane Average is just not going to do this, and it hurts the adoption of the 3D format overall if you ask me.

S A M 33

Thank you. Exactly my thoughts on that. I had just bought that player like a month earlier from Sears before they came up with the special on Amazon. If the price has dropped to around $100-120 I will just bite the bullet.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Well just make sure you tell them they're Above Average on time! Don't make 'em wait!
Or you'll hear about it again and again and it will be all your fault!
;-)

S A M 33
Old 02-28-2011, 08:12 PM

I haven't had a chance to do a firmware update on mine yet cause i have a mac computer. I have virtualbox to use windows . The virtual machine recognize the projector through the usb , but when i click update it says JVC RS40 not found.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I also think a free bulb!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I also think a free bulb!

Maybe we will get free JVC t-shirts. I will take size large. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The HD250 and the RS40/X3 opened JVC to a different market than their previous products were targeted to. Folks who were holding out for the higher end LCD's now found themselves able to afford JVC quality which generally trumps even the best LCD projectors.

I'm sure the JVC HD250 put a beating on Epson this round. Nothing new to show with delays in their new product line, and the unexpected price of the HD250 to compete with the Epson 8700.

Those HD250 became scare pretty quick when they first released. Word got out quick on the RS40/X3 and everyone wants one.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

I didn't see that in time, and...I'm shy to buy a B-stock item with limited warranty coverage,

Maybe in Canada it's different, but my B-stock RS20 had a full warranty. And, BTW I love it!
Old 02-28-2011, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is the Vango LED a 3D PJ?
Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Please guys. I post and while you don't attack AV Science, all I see is a fire storm that my post giving out the best information I have when I get it causes. Alan, I, and the others at AV Science feel your pain and we want so badly to be able to post good news and have happy customers.

Since I have no reason for the delay, there is no point in speculating why so please don't.

Of course we appreciate the information. Good or bad information is better than no information at all. However I don't think people should just sit on their hands and say nothing about JVC's treatment of its customers and of their treatmen of AVS. As I have said before JVC monitors these threads and they need to know their current customers and potential future customers are upset with JVCs handling of this situation.

It's unfortunate that AVS gets some collateral damage or negative comments but I think or at least I hope that Mark, Jason, Daniel, Alan and all the good sales people working for and at AVS understand that our frustrations are with JVC.

I APOLOGIZE if my comments in any way upset mark or the others at AVS BUT I will not just sit by and pretend I am not upset with how JVC is handling things. And enough of the "JVC didn't realize what a big hit the RS40 would be"

There are RS40s out there but for some reason JVC isn't sending them to AVS. Yes I could have purchased my RS40 from another dealer but that's not how I was raised. I was treated EXTREMELY fairly by Alan this past summer when my RS20 failed. I told Alan at that time I'd make my next projector purchase from AVS and I will stand by my word. Maybe it's the 25 years I served in the military but my word means something to me.

The funny thing is JVC could fix most of this simply by having one of their officials post on here. One thing that I have learned in life is that when something negative happens it's an opportune time to turn it into a positive. This is a great chance for JVC to make a huge PR move

I'll try not to post anymore rants on here. However the only way to fix a problem is to speak up and even acknowledge there is a problem. I'm sure when all is said and done we will have our projectors and AVS will make an apology to it's customers. However I don't want an apology from AVS. They hav done nothing wrong. I want an apology from JVC and some other form of compensation like extended warranty a bulb free emitter or pair of glasses. JVC SHOULD make this right.

In conclusion. I am very happy with AVS and mark (my salesman). Alan is a man of his word as is Mark. And I'm sorry if my posts cause some backlash towards them.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 AM

hello,

back again here, I will have my JVC X3 installed and calibrated tomorrow :-)
but in France, the ones who already have their JVC experienced some problems of freezing, no possible escape, only have to unplugged hardly the projector (some have contacted JVC to replace their projector with new one) :-( This issue can appear after 10h like 80h of use and I'm not sure they have found a systematic wrong manipulation which can cause this bug...
Did you experience this problem also?

One guy with already 650h of X3 use noticed also an important decrease of lumens (about 45%) and an unstability of his lightness/gamma before 60min of warming... Has someone the same behaviour or is it an isolated case?

But when this JVC projector works, it delivers a very good image... ouf! ;-)
Old 03-01-2011, 06:28 AM

Is it possible the cause of these delays is JVC trying to source a different bulb? Given the reported shutdown, freezing, dimming problems I just wonder if JVC has just now received enough data from projectors in the field to realize that this bulb just isn't going to cut it long term and they don't want to send any more projectors out with it. I don't know enough about the internals of the projector to know but I assume it would be possible to use a different bulb without stepping back to redesigning the light engine or anything as dramatic as that.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:29 AM

There will be one file for the X3/RS40 & a different file for the X7/X9/RS50/RS60.

These will be downloadable from the JVC website, and will follow the normal update procedure using a Windows laptop connected to projector via USB.

These updates will address many, but not all, of the items noted in these forums.

Chris
Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post

There will be one file for the X3/RS40 & a different file for the X7/X9/RS50/RS60.

These will be downloadable from the JVC website, and will follow the normal update procedure using a Windows laptop connected to projector via USB.

These updates will address many, but not all, of the items noted in these forums.

Chris

Hi Chris,
Good to know JVC is still present. Will new projectors ship directly with this new firmware? Or were the larger batches that we're waiting for shipped before this new firmware was available?
Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Chris

Are these firmware updates valid for all X3 models ? (regardless of their purchase location). I brought mine last week in Spain, and JVC's spanish website has nothing regarding X3 firmware...

(is there a release note available with the changes ?)

Thanks
Old 03-01-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:

Chris

Good news Chris :-)
we hope that one of the corrected items concern the lockout problems...

what will be the number/tag of this new firmware?