Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5131 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
it would be nice if the projector could just update off a USB drive. The Popcorn hour series does this and it's quite easy to upgrade the firmware this way.

I hope some of the calibration issues made it's way into this firmware. Try tweaking the gamma more than a few points and watch the greyscale go nuts on the RS50. definitely not right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

There's a newer one, modified by DrMark. It's based on FlBoy's all screen gain calc. I've found the gain numbers calculated match the actual gain curves better at the calculated vectors.

Here's the post with the info and download link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19889305

It's possible that FlBoy has tweaked his spreadsheet accordingly, but I don't have any info to suggest that he has.

Hi Dave,

Thanks.

Mark's calculator came up with a gain of 1.89 versus 1.67.

Larry
post #5133 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 03:42 PM

Liked: 11
"I'm a Mac user as well and certainly wouldn't be happy to have to buy a license for Parallels and/or Windows for the sole purpose of doing a firmware update."

Exactly. I don't do Windows for a reason.

I guess I may literally have to have a friend come over with their Windows laptop.
Why on earth can't this run off a stand-alone drive or a disc?

S A M 33
post #5134 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I've been running the RS40 with the Integra 80.2 since day 1 and have never had a compatibility issue. I understand this has to do with using the video processing in the Integra vice the projector, which I don't do (considering the video processor is the same in both). David Vaughn mentioned leaving the Integra to through resolves this issue and that is what I would recommend as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Kris,

Thanks.

Actually it seems that the "Through" setting doesn't really bypass video processing and a special setting must be used to disable video processing.

There also seems to be some uncertainty as to whether JVC or Integra/Onkyo is going to provide the firmware fix.

Larry

Quote:

Interesting. Thanks for the info Larry!

Yeah, through doesn't work. You have to completely disable the video processing in the unit for it to handshake. Hopefully this update fixes that issue.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5135 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM

Well I got my RMA number today and my RS40 is on the way back to the distributor as I was never able to get the vertical lens shift working. The replacement i'm told is going to ship Friday or Monday.

Since I waited this long and now that the weather is starting to break along with longer day time hours...if this one doesn't work...I think I will hold off until later summer to jump back into the JVC game.

I am sure many of you are starting to think the same?
post #5136 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Totally off topic post:

Hey Mac users, you know how you brag that Mac is much safer because less prone to virus attacks? Well that's because there are fewer users, I'm sure you know that... The same reason why some companies decide it's not worth it to deliver products for that platform.

GO HABS GO!
post #5137 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Yeah, through doesn't work. You have to completely disable the video processing in the unit for it to handshake. Hopefully this update fixes that issue.

Weird as I have been using the two together since the day I got the RS40 back in December. I've NEVER had a handshake issue.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #5138 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

Totally off topic post:

Hey Mac users, you know how you brag that Mac is much safer because less prone to virus attacks? Well that's because there are fewer users, I'm sure you know that... The same reason why some companies decide it's not worth it to deliver products for that platform.

Sure we know, but that is changing quickly: http://gigaom.com/apple/mac-market-share-surges-in-u-s/ and just today I read that hackers write more and more viruses for Mac as it gains market share. Sorry for the OT as well ;-)
post #5139 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarrior View Post

Who says its the same amount of work? Maybe one has far more
holes/backdoors in it to make things easier, and create more havoc?

Yet a company isn't one that wants to reek havoc to a larger surplus...
They want to sell to EVERYONE possible. So to limit oneself to only the
largest piece of the pie cuts into the size of that pie you can achieve in
receiving... That's just stupid IMO.

It's actually a little more difficult to develop for the Apple... or, maybe it's better to say you have to learn tools and languages you can only use to create programs for 10% of computer users. Like Objective-C... I mean, it's not a bad language and all, but why pick that over the more mainstream C++?

Anyway, my point is this: I've got to write 1 program to get 90% of the market or 2 programs to get 100% of the market. That's the problem. It would have to be 9x harder to write a program for Windoze than the Mac for that to equalize out, and it just ISN'T!
post #5140 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 PM

Liked: 14
Just caught up on the thread after a couple of days. Thanks Mark for the "mother load" update. This additional delay means I will have to send another email to AVS updating my "ship to" information for the forth or fifth time. I've been on the pre-order list since the first week in October, so if AVS can stand the additional update I can certainly wait a couple more weeks.
post #5141 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

It's actually a little more difficult to develop for the Apple... or, maybe it's better to say you have to learn tools and languages you can only use to create programs for 10% of computer users. Like Objective-C... I mean, it's not a bad language and all, but why pick that over the more mainstream C++?

Anyway, my point is this: I've got to write 1 program to get 90% of the market or 2 programs to get 100% of the market. That's the problem. It would have to be 9x harder to write a program for Windoze than the Mac for that to equalize out, and it just ISN'T!

Yes, if that were true.. Yet you have to take into account of what your real % of the home theater market owns a Windows based PC over a Mac.

If you were to actually know the Home Theater market and what software based equipment they preferred, only then you would have an idea of the % of one over the other.
post #5142 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, if that were true.. Yet you have to take into account of what your real % of the home theater market owns a Windows based PC over a Mac.

If you were to actually know the Home Theater market and what software based equipment they preferred, only then you would have an idea of the % of one over the other.

For this upgrade program, I agree. But a lot don't even have an HTPC and just schlep whatever notebook they have in to do this very occasional (hopefully) task. Whatever they have at home...
post #5143 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

For this upgrade program, I agree. But a lot don't even have an HTPC and just schlep whatever notebook they have in to do this very occasional (hopefully) task. Whatever they have at home...

And to those who don't have the means are screwed to buy into Windows software...
Yeah, I just don't understand why they didn't make it so you could update the system from your router like most quality products.
post #5144 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana_moo_ana View Post

good day guys,

I was planning to buy HD250 but know I'm tempting to buy this one, I'm thinking it might save me an upgrade two years when the 3D become popular!!

this will be my first projector coming from 60" LED, can you please help me with these questions:
- what other issue beside the freezing (hope it will be resolved by firmware)I should be worry about?
- I'm planning to through 114" from 11.4ft on carda screen, is it good idea to have it with BW 1.4 gain, or the regular gain will be bright enough for 2D/3D?
- This might be strange question, some users say that the projector will dim fast, my average usage will be around 30hrs a month, will this be good enough for two years before replacing the lamp??

thanks in advance

anyone
post #5145 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Weird as I have been using the two together since the day I got the RS40 back in December. I've NEVER had a handshake issue.

There are a number of us with this exact same issue and JVC/Integra have been able to reproduce it. Fortunately, it's fixable via firmware.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5146 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 PM

Liked: 87
When it is released the new RS40 software can be found at:

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/productupdate.jsp

Please note that the firmware will also work for the X3 (of course).

At this time the new firmware has not been released.
post #5147 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

anyone

EDIT- 30 hours x 24 months = Your answer is 720 Hours

By what many say, you will have a significant brightness loss
post #5148 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Sorry to break-up another OT discussion, but I didn't see anyone mention that the RS40's Version 1.2 firmware was available on the JVC professional website:

Please note that the firmware also works for the X3 (of course).

However, at the time I write this, the RS50/RS60 firmware update does not seem to be available yet.

Description of the RS40 update is:
"DLA-RS40 Firmware version 1.2 update addresses 3D Blu-Ray player compatibility and improves intermittent operational issues."

That has a Dec 16 date on the file. Is this the new one?
post #5149 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by alk3997 View Post

Sorry to break-up another OT discussion, but I didn't see anyone mention that the RS40's Version 1.2 firmware was available on the JVC professional website:

Please note that the firmware also works for the X3 (of course).

However, at the time I write this, the RS50/RS60 firmware update does not seem to be available yet.

Description of the RS40 update is:
"DLA-RS40 Firmware version 1.2 update addresses 3D Blu-Ray player compatibility and improves intermittent operational issues."

Version 1.2 is the one that was released back in December and is factory installed in the X3 and RS40 projectors that have been shipping from JVC USA since about the first of the year. The new firmware (1.3 or whatever) is still a day or two away from being released.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5150 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And to those who don't have the means are screwed to buy into Windows software...
Yeah, I just don't understand why they didn't make it so you could update the system from your router like most quality products.

That would be great. The reason is cost. But it's just a few dollars at most. How much could it be for the DHCP/TCP/IP smarts and menus? $5 per unit?
post #5151 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ana_moo_ana
good day guys,

I was planning to buy HD250 but know I'm tempting to buy this one, I'm thinking it might save me an upgrade two years when the 3D become popular!!

this will be my first projector coming from 60" LED, can you please help me with these questions:
- what other issue beside the freezing (hope it will be resolved by firmware)I should be worry about?
- I'm planning to through 114" from 11.4ft on carda screen, is it good idea to have it with BW 1.4 gain, or the regular gain will be bright enough for 2D/3D?
- This might be strange question, some users say that the projector will dim fast, my average usage will be around 30hrs a month, will this be good enough for two years before replacing the lamp??

thanks in advance

anyone

1. No issues, no locks, no bad pixels, decent convergence, no fuss, lots of jealous friends. Froze once on the known 3d Gamma bug that has been fixed in the last release.
2. ST130 (1.3) gain 128" diag at 14' throw - awesome 3D and 2 D
3. 530 hours in - no dramatic loss of brightness

My experience... Nothing more.

GO HABS GO!
post #5152 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Mikewarrior:
Thank you for your input. Is there a way to imporve this? like having a better lamp in the future, or it depends on the projector itself?

zbroke:
great to hear, I hope I'll have your luck ,I think I'll go with Carada BW 1.4
post #5153 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Version 1.2 is the one that was released back in December and is factory installed in the X3 and RS40 projectors that have been shipping from JVC USA since about the first of the year. The new firmware (1.3 or whatever) is still a day or two away from being released.
Thanks Ron - I'll change my append to indicate that the firmware has not yet been released.

The RS50/RS60 is on version 1.1 right now so that was where my confusion started. Bad assumption on my part.
post #5154 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Mikewarrior:
Thank you for your input. Is there a way to imporve this? like having a better lamp in the future, or it depends on the projector itself?
It could be the lamp, or the fact that the projector needs a higher brightness
for 3D content that taxes any lamp you get. However, it's very possible a
better lamp can help a great deal. The projector itself shouldn't be the issue, except
when it shuts off by itself.
post #5155 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post
1. No issues, no locks, no bad pixels, decent convergence, no fuss, lots of jealous friends. Froze once on the known 3d Gamma bug that has been fixed in the last release.
2. ST130 (1.3) gain 128" diag at 14' throw - awesome 3D and 2 D
3. 530 hours in - no dramatic loss of brightness

My experience... Nothing more.
Of course you have had dramatic loss of brightness in 530 hours. I am sure if you got a new bulb and popped it in, you would say OH, well I guess I have lost quite a bit of brightness.
post #5156 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I think we're lucky to have a user-installable firmware update method at all! None of my previous projectors have ever had a USB port, and I was really happy to learn that the RS40 had one. This sure beats having to send the unit to JVC to have them do it, and it's a lot better than those tricky RS-232 update procedures that are not really meant for end-users to perform anyway.
post #5157 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 PM

I'm sure there are better forums for "my OS is better than your OS" discussions. Can we please keep them off of here?
post #5158 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc View Post
Of course you have had dramatic loss of brightness in 530 hours. I am sure if you got a new bulb and popped it in, you would say OH, well I guess I have lost quite a bit of brightness.
Yeah, I would love to see before and after pics
post #5159 of 10005 Old 03-01-2011, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post
I'm sure there are better forums for "my OS is better than your OS" discussions. Can we please keep them off of here?
Um, that was so 4+ hours ago... get with the times, we are talking RS40 brightness loss now.
post #5160 of 10005 Old 03-02-2011, 03:07 AM

Can somebody suggest what power cord I can get for the RS40 in 15 feet length, as the supplied 6.5 feet power cord is not long enough, from my APC S15 for my instance? [S15 outputs 900 watts max. [unless the power cord is longer than 6.5 feet]

Monoprice has several, but so many gauges of wire. Its probably obvoius, but I think 14 gauge should be good enough [rated at 15 amps], more in the line of overkill right? But I just want to make sure, due to the length, im getting the wattage to the projector.

Thanks everyone.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page