Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 175 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5221 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have three IR bouncers in my theater since my EQ rack is in a separate room in the back. One's in the front by the screen, that one gets blasted by the JVC emitter. The other two are off to the sides by seating in the middle or back, and they are fine. They're the ones I use most anyway depending on where I'm sitting and if I have an audience.

But I have had to adjust the IR receivers in the EQ room to hit the OPPO, A/V receiver, and other two DVD players. They have to be close and almost exactly in front of them now. They used to have no problem, but for some reason it's almost like the JVC's so powerful it's "leaking" into the back room through the opening for the projector!

S A M 33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5222 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuyersremorse View Post

Just put my name on the waiting list for this projector! Couple of questions if anyone could help. I am going to end up with about a 110" screen with about a 11' throw. Was planning on a hp screen but should I look at somthing with less gain with such a short throw to lower black levels? It will be a batcave (flat dark brown walls and only window sealed). Although 3D is not a priority, I would like it to look good when I do watch it. I will be seating somewhere around 8-9' (we'll see). Also I guess it is time to start looking towards the sound side. Although I have been reading the forums here for years I have never jumped to the audio side... Where should I start? It will be in a small 12X12 room and just looking for a starting place. How much should I expect to spend on speakers. Thank you for your help. Brandon

Time for you to look at the audio forums. Speaker choices are endless. This is my favorite... http://axiomaudio.com/hometheaters.html
post #5223 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No news on JVC site yet... Anybody knows if the new firmware is to be made public today ?

Thanks in advance.
post #5224 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by afss View Post

No news on JVC site yet... Anybody knows if the new firmware is to be made public today ?

Thanks in advance.

We'll only know that when it's made available. If it's not available today that's it's not ready yet. IMO, getting it right is better than getting it sooner.

Geof
post #5225 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 AM

The software should be available later today. It will be on the UK site by Monday.

The changes are:

DLA-X3/RS40

1. Improve HDMI Communication issues with some Blu-ray players and receivers.
2. Fix lens shift bug in ceiling mount mode.

DLA-X7/X9/RS50/RS60

3. Improve smoothness of Colour Management adjustment.
4. Fix lock up when going from 2D-3D, 3D-2D.
post #5226 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:01 AM

On 3 occasions last night, my RS40 turned itself on from standby, with no apparent provocation from the JVC remote. That said, it happened at the same time I was fiddling with the remote for my LG BH200 dual format player, though not in a repeatable manner (couldn't figure out quite which keys activated power on). I rarely use the LG BH200, so this isn't a major concern, but thought I'd mention this to others.
post #5227 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenjabil View Post

On 3 occasions last night, my RS40 turned itself on from standby, with no apparent provocation from the JVC remote. That said, it happened at the same time I was fiddling with the remote for my LG BH200 dual format player, though not in a repeatable manner (couldn't figure out quite which keys activated power on). I rarely use the LG BH200, so this isn't a major concern, but thought I'd mention this to others.

If CEC is enabled on both units, this would account for it.
post #5228 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

We'll only know that when it's made available. If it's not available today that's it's not ready yet. IMO, getting it right is better than getting it sooner.

We have received it. So, it's done. It's just a matter of getting it posted. Hopefully today.

Chris
post #5229 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK View Post

The software should be available later today. It will be on the UK site by Monday.

The changes are:

DLA-X3/RS40

DLA-X7/X9/RS50/RS60

4. Fix lock up when going from 2D-3D, 3D-2D.

So it looks like it's not addressing the lock-up issues and low lumen issues that some RS40 owners were reporting. Wondering if it is still worth updating to this when I get mine next week, maybe for possible HDMI handshake issues?
post #5230 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post

So it looks like it's not addressing the lock-up issues and low lumen issues that some RS40 owners were reporting. Wondering if it is still worth updating to this when I get mine next week, maybe for possible HDMI handshake issues?

We have found that some lock-ups can be related to HDMI issues, so it's worth doing.
post #5231 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any indication when the other CMS issues will be addressed?

Affable Nitwit
post #5232 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryB_UK

Gary and/or Chris,
When you say it improves the smoothness of the CMS what exactly does this mean? Does it correct the blanking during adjustment? Does it correct saturation tracking errors when more than a minimal amount of correction is dialed in?

Like Lawguy, I'm curious when the other CMS issues will be addressed.

Geof
post #5233 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:41 AM

I'm having an issue shutting the system down with a harmony one remote. When I turn everything off, the projector prompts for a second command to shutdown. The remote appears to be sending the shutdown command twice but it does not seem to be working. I have upped all of the various interkey timing but can not get it to shutdown without having to pull out its own remote.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to fix this?

Thanks,
Nitemage
post #5234 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

I'm having an issue shutting the system down with a harmony one remote. When I turn everything off, the projector prompts for a second command to shutdown. The remote appears to be sending the shutdown command twice but it does not seem to be working. I have upped all of the various interkey timing but can not get it to shutdown without having to pull out its own remote.

Thanks,
Nitemage

Program the Harmony to send it again. That is what I do. No problems after that.

Affable Nitwit
post #5235 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

That's it with the CMS Fixes? While the blanking between settings is mind-numbing, there's larger issues with the CMS as reported from AV forum review.

grey scale shifts during gamma adjustments is the most frustrating for me at this time. It looks like we'll have to wait a while longer for the real fixes to be made to the CMS and gamma adjustments.
post #5236 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Nitemage

I use a URC MX-900 and after fiddling with various delays I tried sending them one after another with no delay. It works perfectly every time. Try sending 3 without delay as Lawguy suggests....

Geof
post #5237 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Thanks,
Nitemage

As I had posted some time ago, I am using my Harmony (One) with my RS40. I learned both the 'power on' and 'standby' commands in RAW format then to power off the projector I went into the Harmony PC software (under the 'device' power settings for the RS40) and set it to send the 'standby' command 4 times. As long as the projector receives any two of these it will turn off. I found this to be much more reliable than just sending the 'standby' command two times.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5238 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

I forgot to mention that some people have reported the Panasonic packaged disc also works on the PS3 but I have no confirmation of that.

Is there a way within the Blu-ray spec to make a disc only compatible with one brand of player? I didn't think so, from what little I know.
post #5239 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

Is there a way within the Blu-ray spec to make a disc only compatible with one brand of player? I didn't think so, from what little I know.

Within the spec, I would expect no. But just as Sony released "CDs" that were not compliant with the redbook spec, it is very likely that one could produce disks that otherwise seem to be BDs but violate the spec and work only on specific machines.

IIRC, the spec does allow for the copyprotection system to lock out specific players (in the name of anti-piracy), which I don't think that has ever been implemented (not even sure it is in the spec, was a topic when BD and HD DVD first came out), so a tweak of the code would allow you to permit play only on specific players.

Still, the whole "Avatar only plays on Panny players" was just a bad rumor, since you could get it with the starter kit, which obviously is TV-related for the glasses, unrelated to the brand of 3D BD player.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #5240 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

These players can run Java, right? (unfortunately, in most cases) Certainly the Java API has a function to return the equipment make, model, and probably even fw version. Then the program can do whatever it wants, like not run. I'm just supposing here, but it doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility.
post #5241 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Within the spec, I would expect no. But just as Sony released "CDs" that were not compliant with the redbook spec, it is very likely that one could produce disks that otherwise seem to be BDs but violate the spec and work only on specific machines.

I would assume they'd get in trouble for that. Didn't Sony get sued for using the "CDDA" label on a disc that (technically) wasn't?

Yeah, it sounds like just a rumor/myth.
post #5242 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 AM

I've run the original Avatar promotional disc in 3D on the Oppo 93 => Dennon 4311 => JVC RS60 with no problem.
post #5243 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I just did some measurements on my RS40 with about 50 hours on the lamp. With the projector set to Natural mode, Standard color space, 6500K Color Temp, Normal gamma and High lamp mode. I used the AVS HD calibration disc to set the black level and white level with the projector set HDMI input mode for Super White. For White level I set it to display above video standard level 235 but not all the way to 255 (bars on test pattern visible up to about level 245). This results in the setting for brightness (black level) of +2 and the setting for contrast (white level) of +10.

I used the ANSI method by taking measurements for lux at 9 points (3 X 3 grid) and averaged the lux measurements to calculate the lumens. The result was 869 lumens. The max. measured lux was at directly in front of the screen center and the drop near the screen corners was about 12%. Since I am waiting until I have 100 hours to do a full calibration, it will be a little longer before I do a set of measurements for the calibrated lumens. However, my above measurement will provide a reference point that I can use to track lamp dimming over time.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5244 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Gary and/or Chris,
When you say it improves the smoothness of the CMS what exactly does this mean? Does it correct the blanking during adjustment? Does it correct saturation tracking errors when more than a minimal amount of correction is dialed in?

Like Lawguy, I'm curious when the other CMS issues will be addressed.

The firmware allows for smoother CMS adjustment.

Chris
post #5245 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I just did some measurements on my RS40 with about 50 hours on the lamp. With the projector set to Natural mode, Standard color space, 6500K Color Temp, Normal gamma and High lamp mode. I used the AVS HD calibration disc to set the black level and white level with the projector set HDMI input mode for Super White. For White level I set it to display above video standard level 235 but not all the way to 255 (bars on test pattern visible up to about level 245). This results in the setting for brightness (black level) of +2 and the setting for contrast (white level) of +10.

I used the ANSI method by taking measurements for lux at 9 points (3 X 3 grid) and averaged the lux measurements to calculate the lumens. The result was 869 lumens. The max. measured lux was at directly in front of the screen center and the drop near the screen corners was about 12%. Since I am waiting until I have 100 hours to do a full calibration, it will be a little longer before I do a set of measurements for the calibrated lumens. However, my above measurement will provide a reference point that I can use to track lamp dimming over time.

Ron, what is your throw for this measurement? Can you try JonStatt's method of setting color temp to 8500k, lamp high, iris open and turn off the color profile? This should be the most lumens the projector is capable of throwing.

The best I can muster in this mode on the RS50 is a weak 786 lumens at midrange throw. turn on THX mode or my calibrated D65 setting and the lumens plummet even further. I have a replacement lamp that just arrived from JVC and will be testing it this weekend.

as you might already know, several of us are observing low lumen output on the RS50/60 and Art from www.projectorreviews.com had the same low lumen issue with an RS60 that JVC sent him, they couldn't get more than 500 lumens in any color setting mode.

thanks!
post #5246 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Ron, what is your throw for this measurement? Can you try JonStatt's method of setting color temp to 8500k, lamp high, iris open and turn off the color profile? This should be the most lumens the projector is capable of throwing.

The best I can muster in this mode on the RS50 is a weak 786 lumens at midrange throw. turn on THX mode or my calibrated D65 setting and the lumens plummet even further. I have a replacement lamp that just arrived from JVC and will be testing it this weekend.

as you might already know, several of us are observing low lumen output on the RS50/60 and Art from www.projectorreviews.com had the same low lumen issue with an RS60 that JVC sent him, they couldn't get more than 500 lumens in any color setting mode.

thanks!

Jason, do you use 8500K for 2D?
post #5247 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Hi, I'm looking into getting this projector, and I have a question about the 3D mode. It appears that the projector automatically switches to 8500K by default when put in 3D mode. Is this purely for brightness? i.e, is the 8500K color temp a trade-off for high-brightness required for 3D?

Or, is something else going on, such as the JVC glasses have a warming filter so in order to get 6500K to your eyes the screen has to be 8500K?

If it is a trade-off, have people here re-calibrated the 3D mode to 6500K and is there a general consensus of the results (like not bright enough)?

EDIT: I know my room conditions and screen size will play a big part, but let's assume I'll have the iris stopped down for 2D viewing and wide open for 3D. Is the difference from a iris stopped down 8 steps for 2D and wide open for 3D enough to use 6500K for both, or is 8500K required to get an adequately bright image?
post #5248 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 01:50 PM

What am i missing? My projector is shelf mounted,when i set it up i could not find anything about ceiling mounting,i called JVC tech support they told me i had to use lense shift,I explained to him he had to be wrong ,so someone higher up was going to call me back never heared from them so that's what i ended up doing.Now i see something about a fix for ceiling mout mode. Could someone tell me where this is in the menu. Would appreciate any help.
post #5249 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 PM

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon RX7 View Post
What am i missing? ...
What you missed is this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283884

You might start from the end of the thread and work backwards. Plenty of Chief options now.
post #5250 of 9991 Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post
Or, is something else going on, such as the JVC glasses have a warming filter so in order to get 6500K to your eyes the screen has to be 8500K?
That is my understanding (but I'm far from an expert). I think it's to compensate for the glasses.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page