post #541 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 09:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post
JVC really pulled a rabbit out of the hat, maybe a dozen!

I just watched the first half of My Bloody Valentine 3D on the RS40 using the Oppo 93, this is one of the worst 3D movies when it comes to excessive ghosting which I have experienced on the Sony and also experienced on Panasonic and Samsung. DLP based 3D TVs were the only exception.

We now need to add the JVC RS40 with the DLP TVs on that very short list because i saw absolutely no ghosting for the first half of the movie, not even the worst ghosting scene at the beginning showing Harry Warden hiding in the background in the dark (gory hospital scene in the first 5 mins).

I also watched all of the tunnel scenes and again there was absolutely no ghosting.

I am really surprised because every 3D set i tested this movie with showed ghosting to varying degrees with the Samsungs being the absolute worst and the Sony/Panny being the least ghost exhibiting sets, but still showing an 10-20% of ghosting scenes.

Somehow and don't ask me how, the jVC RS40 played it amazingly without one incident of ghosting or even flicker. I was like "holy cow! No ghosting," because i was totally expecting a bad amount of ghosting, and at best case some ghosting, but there was NoNE!!! Zilch! Nada!

You guys are in for a real treat with this projector!

I will also say that the RS40 is not 100% perfect or ghost free, i did see ghosting in some of the DirecTV 3D SBS programming, which is to be expected, especially sports.
You know, Sam, I get more excited with every one of your posts about 3D on the JVC. My Bloody Valentine is among the best titles for revealing ghosting problems. I'm very surprised and pleased to hear it's performing that well. The other piece of good news is that the JVC is doing this with a 96hz frame rate - 48 fps/eye. That means no 3:2 pulldown judder. Very, very cool. The JVC reps kept telling us that the engineers were hard at work behind the scenes, and that we'd be happy with the improvements over the pre-production models. Sounds like that might have been more than just the company line.

You still haven't picked up on any flicker? I'm also very pleased about your early observations on that. Limited ghosting, no flicker, no 3:2 judder, a bright image - sounds like a great recipe for 3D!

And please make sure you write down all the 3D settings that are giving such stellar results. I'm sure I'll do my own tweaking, but I'll use your settings initially.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
There was no lag on BlackOps (2D or 3D) and i have Rockband 1&2 and Guitar Hero World Tour, what should i be looking for to detect any possible lag?
If you have the wireless guitar with the auto calibration you can do the auto calibrate to generate consistent video lag numbers from your source. To be honest I am not so sure that 17ms of lag means that there is only 17ms of lag but I do trust it as gospel that if I get 17ms with one connection or display and 60+ with another that one set is slower than the other.

Roughly speaking lag is 1 frame for every ~30 ms deviation.

It has to be the auto calibration with the Rock Band 2 (or Beatles, or newer guitar), doing the manual calibration will produce wildly different results even on repeated testing. I never get more than 2 ms deviation when I do the auto calibration - in fact I often run it 3 times just to make sure the numbers are consistent.
post #543 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
JVC really pulled a rabbit out of the hat, maybe a dozen!

I just watched the first half of My Bloody Valentine 3D on the RS40 using the Oppo 93, this is one of the worst 3D movies when it comes to excessive ghosting which I have experienced on the Sony and also experienced on Panasonic and Samsung. DLP based 3D TVs were the only exception.

We now need to add the JVC RS40 with the DLP TVs on that very short list because i saw absolutely no ghosting for the first half of the movie, not even the worst ghosting scene at the beginning showing Harry Warden hiding in the background in the dark (gory hospital scene in the first 5 mins).

I also watched all of the tunnel scenes and again there was absolutely no ghosting.

I am really surprised because every 3D set i tested this movie with showed ghosting to varying degrees with the Samsungs being the absolute worst and the Sony/Panny being the least ghost exhibiting sets, but still showing an 10-20% of ghosting scenes.

Somehow and don't ask me how, the jVC RS40 played it amazingly without one incident of ghosting or even flicker. I was like "holy cow! No ghosting," because i was totally expecting a bad amount of ghosting, and at best case some ghosting, but there was NoNE!!! Zilch! Nada!

You guys are in for a real treat with this projector!

I will also say that the RS40 is not 100% perfect or ghost free, i did see ghosting in some of the DirecTV 3D SBS programming, which is to be expected, especially sports.
I bet you it has to do with what JVC learned from the THX 3D certifications that a few were making fun of. See Chris did have a reason to be proud.
post #544 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Booooo! VS is not working with every title, i don't get it. What are the differences that make some 3D blur ays verically stretchable or not? I'd love to know.

So scratch my post below. Too much optimism is my weakness!

Quote:

Yes yes yes!!! It just stretch two bluray movies in 3D (MBV and Open Season) even though neither need stretching since they are 1.78:1.

But bottom line, the Denon AVR has just gotten a new lease of life. I will mot be returning it because the Oppo 93 doesn't always allow for Vstretching in 3D bluray, but the Denon 4311 is 2 for 2 so far, more to come!

Watching My Bloody Valentine 3D to test for ghosting, so far no ghosts have appeared!

P.S: thanks for everyone's input on the Yamaha A3000. Do we know if it can vstretch in 3D bluray?

post #545 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
You know, Sam, I get more excited with every one of your posts about 3D on the JVC. My Bloody Valentine is among the best titles for revealing ghosting problems. I'm very surprised and pleased to hear it's performing that well. The other piece of good news is that the JVC is doing this with a 96hz frame rate - 48 fps/eye. That means no 3:2 pulldown judder. Very, very cool. The JVC reps kept telling us that the engineers were hard at work behind the scenes, and that we'd be happy with the improvements over the pre-production models. Sounds like that might have been more than just the company line.

You still haven't picked up on any flicker? I'm also very pleased about your early observations on that. Limited ghosting, no flicker, no 3:2 judder, a bright image - sounds like a great recipe for 3D!

And please make sure you write down all the 3D settings that are giving such stellar results. I'm sure I'll do my own tweaking, but I'll use your settings initially.
No flicker whatsoever for me or my wife. Unless we are both highly unsusecptinle to flicker, I can attest that this baby is flicker free even with some of the mediocre 3D programming on DirecTV.

I played Wild Ocean and Dinosaurs Alive using the blur ays i have, hardly any shadowing, while the DirecTV 3D broadcast of those same specials shows more ghosting, maybe the SBS technology is subpar in comparison to frame packed 3D blurays.

As far as 3D bluray settings, there is really not much more to the defaults used by the 3D presets, the only thing i change depeneding on content is color, i boost it to 10 or 20. Everything else is the default settings used by 3D preset. I would recommend using the Wide1 colorspace and the B(3D) gamma for sure to maximize brightness and color punch.
post #546 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post
I bet you it has to do with what JVC learned from the THX 3D certifications that a few were making fun of. See Chris did have a reason to be proud.

But the RS40, which is what i own is nor THX certified, unless you're saying that JVC implemented thr same techniques for 3D color accuracy on the RS40 but did nit label it THX certified (wink wink). If that is the case, well that would be amazing.
post #547 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post
Since I have 4 JVC glasses on order with my projector, but have now been considering the Xpand, I am very concerned about this...I use my remotes quite a bit during a movie, changing volume, and other functions. If they keep going out of sync every time you do that I don't want that at all, can anyone confirm if the JVC glasses do this, or has anyone else experienced this with the Xpand glasses?
I currently have two of the Xpand 103 glasses. Each will lose sync so its not just one bad pair or something. This happens when I sent codes for the Comcast DCX3400 STB, the Yamaha RX-V667, or Samsung PN63C8000. YMMV. If I hold the remote at arms lengths then sometimes it does not lose sync. If I hold the remote near my lap or just out slightly in front of me, it loses sync when I press any button - whether using a universal remote or any of the remotes for the devices listed above. When I use the Samsung glasses that came with the TV those never lose sync.
post #548 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Sam - glad you got 3D gaming handled. Why did you increase contrast to +5? That is likely destroying your top end and causing white crush. If the point of this was to increase brightness for some extra pop then the way to handle that is to raise your iris setting...
post #549 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:

I agree... this just gets better (and better... and better) . . .

Oh NO . . . There he is again . . . Oh Great . . .

Thanks Sam! . . .

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #550 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by northrob View Post
Any progression with the measurements?
I actually have been incredibly busy with work at a most inopportune time. I finally got setup today to do some measurements and I'm seeing very similar graphs to what were posted from the pre-production units. I was only able to spend a hour or so but will be back at it tomorrow after a trip to see the family for an early Christmas get together before they leave on a trip.

I want to say that I am as thrilled as Sam about the initital impressions from the RS40. The one issue is convergence. I didn't get as lucky as I could have wished but nothing is over about 1/2 pixel except the very bottom left corner. I will take some pics and post tomorrow. The Gamut is really close in Natural (which was the only setting I had time to measure). I was able to bring it a little closer by shifting tint towards red by a few clicks. The grayscale is very linear with red being high across the board by a few percent and blue low by about the same.

I'm still learning how to do calibrations so tips on the best way to do some grayscale adjustments without a LUT table editor would be appreciated. With my RS@ (FPJ1) I was using a VideoEQ Basic but it won't pass 3D and Spectracal says they don't have any intention of upgrading the firmware like they are doing with the Pro version. I'm less than thrilled but what can you do it's their business after all.

I had a friend over who has over 25 years in the film and video projection business working for the mouse and he was amazed at the picture quality he was seeing. He is now seriously thinking about building his own home theater which is a huge leap from his previous position.

AVS was kind enough to allow me to purchase an emitter and a couple of x103 glasses from them even though I got the projector elsewhere (I saved the tax or would have been waiting with the rest of you) so I will have 3D capavility by the end of the week.

I will post some tomorrow and try and be online with Calman running to answer any questions I can but it probably will be late afternoon before I can get to it.
post #551 of 10005 Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the update xuniman. I´m really looking forward to the results of your measurements.
post #552 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Sam - glad you got 3D gaming handled. Why did you increase contrast to +5? That is likely destroying your top end and causing white crush. If the point of this was to increase brightness for some extra pop then the way to handle that is to raise your iris setting...
The aperture is at he max of zero, not much you can do there. The little contrast boost, and its very little did clean up the picture a bit, maybe its my imagination, but i did notice a slight difference.

Again, this only applies for 3D gaming, we're not talking about film or TV. So i didn't see the hard in being a bit creative and maybe out of the box even though not orthodox.
post #553 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Oh yeah! And The TOE delivers! Bam!!!

Hey man, i may ask for your help to measure the convergence and uniformity using the AVS disc whenever you'd like to come over to check out the 3D and my theater in person. I am free most of the day tomorrow.

Oh and congrats on finally unboxing your new baby!!! You got some serous self control to keep it boxed for 4 days man.
I would be happy to help Sam I am certainly no pro though........I just followed the instructions for the AVS test disc and burned it to a DVD-R and it worked in the 93. I will bring over this disc though when I can get over to your house if you have not tried it out by then.

Honestly, I was not even all that motivated to unbox the 40 until today.........funny how big life changes can put your hobbies into perspective sometimes Wish the GF and/or her kids could have been here with me to share the excitement of the 40 as we had a LOT of great HT hours together over the past 8 years.

On a more happy note............., One thing I forgot to mention is just how incredibly quiet the 40 is. I was really surprised at what a noticeable dif it was from my RS1. The 40 with high altitude mode on (not planning on using this, but was just curious how loud it was) was similar in volume to my RS1 in low lamp mode. The 40 in low lamp mode is incredibly quiet..........I was watching CARS for ~45 minutes with my sound system turned way down (~-40 below ref) since I was wanting to just focus on the video and I simply cant hear the 40 at all even with the volume on my 885 as low as it was. VERY cool!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #554 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First i will start with DirecTV 3D:

I think the reason why i have been unable to play the DirecTv 3D programming out of my HDDVR was because acrualy programming were recorded prior to having the RS40, today i was able to play all the 3D shows i had recorded except for one football game which gave me the the same 720P error. However, i was able to record and play Wild Ocean, Giants of Patagonia, Dinosaurs Alive, Jessica Simpson Xmas Special (did she get fat or what?) and also the Canadiens VS Maple Leafs Hockey game. I was able to watch each of those shows live with the 3D set to Auto (not SBS), plus i was able to play them back from the DVR as well. Everything looked great with some minor ghosting (expected with TV SBS 3D), but Giants or Patagonia showed quite a bit more ghosting and the Hockey game was sadly ridded with Ghosting issues, but still watchable. I think we are at least a ear or two away from seeing good live 3D sports.

No more fast panning motion issues after disabling AVR up converting/scaling:

Disabling Denon's default video up converting And scaling and switching the video mode from Auto to Movie (pass thru), really improved the 3D bluray quality including the weird motion issues i had experienced th first time Thursday night while watching those Fast Panning shots at the convenient store with the bear and deer rummaging through all the candy and snacks. The RS40 now handles those fast panning quick scenes as good as my 55" Sony HX800 which is a significant improvement. Even the PQ of Open Season looks noticeably better and slightly, just slightly brighter with all the Denon junk over processing disabled, there were some improvements in sharpness and color as well.

Also now the same night time scenes in Open Sason 3D seem more vivid than before. I may be going crazy or possibly the Denipon uoconverting and scaling is a stupid son of bit&€!!! Because it made everything look worse from gaming to bluray to 3D.

All i can say, if you are going through a receiver, you better make sure that all that upconverting overproessing scaling crap is all disabled COMPLETELY!!! Otherwise you really are missing out on some awesome 3D movies and 3D gaming.

At this moment, I see this projector as nearing perfection in both 2D and 3D. But again i am not the pickiest of the bunch! But i know when something looks bad though.

No noticeable flicker (for me), Minimal or no ghosting (except on some DirecTV shows), very bright in 3D, good 3D gaming, great picture quality on DirecTV's 2D HD programming, simply phenomenal 2D bluray quality, and a 3D performance that i would call "about as good as it's gonna be for the next 6 months to a year." what else can we ask for!!! Maybe more quality 3D titles? I've got 20 from just the past month. So hopefully the 3D release trend continues after Christmas.
post #555 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I would be happy to help Sam I am certainly no pro though........I just followed the instructions for the AVS test disc and burned it to a DVD-R and it worked in the 93. I will bring over this disc though when I can get over to your house if you have not tried it out by then.

Honestly, I was not even all that motivated to unbox the 40 until today.........funny how big life changes can put your hobbies into perspective sometimes Wish the GF and/or her kids could have been here with me to share the excitement of the 40 as we had a LOT of great HT hours together over the past 8 years.

On a more happy note............., One thing I forgot to mention is just how incredibly quiet the 40 is. I was really surprised at what a noticeable dif it was from my RS1. The 40 with high altitude mode on (not planning on using this, but was just curious how loud it was) was similar in volume to my RS1 in low lamp mode. The 40 in low lamp mode is incredibly quiet..........I was watching CARS for ~45 minutes with my sound system turned way down (~-40 below ref) since I was wanting to just focus on the video and I simply cant hear the 40 at all even with the volume on my 885 as low as it was. VERY cool!

Hey man! Kevin and I are here for ya buddy! I know the whole thing just sucks, but everything happens for a reason. Don't punish yourself man, enjoy the fruits of your labor!

I think you should recite the lyrics for "Smile" by Charlie Chaplin. One of the most beautiful songs ever written, and it always helps me when i am down.

I am glad you're digging the RS40, what an amazng piece of equipment for such an affordable price.
post #556 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Hey man! Kevin and I are here for ya buddy! I know the whole thing just sucks, but everything happens for a reason. Don't punish yourself man, enjoy the fruits of your labor!

I think you should recite the lyrics for "Smile" by Charlie Chaplin. One of the most beautiful songs ever written, and it always helps me when i am down.

I am glad you're digging the RS40, what an amazng piece of equipment for such an affordable price.
Thanks bro......much appreciated I will look up "Smile".

This 40 really is a great bang/buck and I have not even dropped into the 3d aspect yet! VERY happy I missed out on that last RS10 from Jason now with the last B-stock sale. The better masking and FI are enough reason to justify the 40 over the 10 now having experienced both of those.........throw in the better contrast, 3d, etc.............man, what a fantastic projector!

One other thing I forgot to mention is what a nice looking projector this is......when that auto lens cover opened up I think I got one of Kevins TS woodys!

One big test I still have to try out tom is if the lens will stay in place with big LFE hits............I had to pad up around my RS1 lens and I am hoping that this much more sturdy 40 lens will not need that. fingers crossed..........

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #557 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post
This may have been covered, but how good is the scaling and de-interlacing in the RS40? How well does it handle DVDs, particularly 4x3 material, and standard definition TV? When I first got my NEC HT1000 (which I'm waiting to replace with the RS40) they made a big deal of the projector's Faroudja processor. People recommended that video processing be handled by the projector rather than the player or receiver. Would that be true of the RS40 also?

For what it's worth, my player is an Oppo 93, and my receiver doesn't do any video processing.
Grampa, I used to use my HT1000, but upgraded to a Sony Ruby, then Pioneer FPJ1, followed by JVC RS20, and I'm back to using the HT1000 while waiting for my RS40. Since the RS40 sounds like it's (significantly?) better than the RS20, I can tell you that it will be a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE upgrade in PQ over the NEC.

In it's day, the HT1K with Farouda processing was good, but the RS40 uses an HQV Reon for 2D and an in-house chip for 3D. The Oppo BDP-83 uses an ABT2010 with VRS by Anchor Bay Technology. Their new BDP-93 model incorporates Marvell's Kyoto-G2 video processor with the second generation Qdeo technology. From what I've read, I ranked the BDP-83 as the best for DVD processing, followed by the 93 (which may equal or possibly surpass the 83 with future firmware releases), then the JVC. They all are better than the Farouda in the HT1K. So, your Oppo 93 for DVD and JVC for SD should both excel in VP over the HT1K.

I also have the Oppo 93 and plan to send the video directly to the JVC via HDMI 1. It will handling the DVD to 1080p60 (they removed 1080p24 out for DVD) and the JVC will take it from there.

Anyone have a different opinion, please chime in.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #558 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post
Fantastic news. The Oppo 93 does vertical stretch in 3D!!! I didnt try my 4311 since it is difficult to enter the menu to do so. That means that I can do the vertical stretch for 3D and I am very relieved and also so excited I decided on the 93
From everything I've read, the Oppo 93 only does V-stretch for 2D like the 83 and not 3D. I have the 93 myself, but still waiting for my RS40. Can you please confirm that the V-stretch works on the Oppo 93 for 2.35:1 3D material? AFAIK, the only product out there that does this to some degree is the Lumagen XE or XS.

I just wish the JVC did for 3D or at least promised to provide in a future firmware update. If the Oppo 93 really does provide V-Stretch, that would be huge.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

post #559 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 01:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Hi Sam, sorry to hear about your Denon woes, but if the 4311 is like my 3311, the correct settting if you don't want to lose on-screen display is to keep video processing on and switch ip/scaler off. It won't touch your HDMI signal, so you won't get any of the ill effects you experienced when having ip/scaling on, but it will give you on-screen dispay back (I assume you have lost it?).
post #560 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post
As I have been reading through this thread, I am not sure what to do. I don't think my RS50 shipped and won't until Monday. I originally ordered an RS40 but upgraded, due to the THX and the 20,000 additional contrast ratio.They do have RS40's though... I do not know what CMD is, can someone explain in easy to understand terms? Any suggestions if the extra $2000 is going to be worth it? I am using an Elite 150" 1.1 gain maxwhite screen and Oppo 93. Throw distance 14 feet.
You should read this thread before deciding if the $2000 is worth it. I voiced my opinion in the second post there. You should also contact AVS for some very good pricing on various external VPs. You'd be surprised how much $2K buys. I also think a lot depends on how long you're realistically going to keep this gen JVC (factor in depreciation and resale value because everyone upgrades someday).

...Steve

post #561 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 04:05 AM

any real measurement how accurate is the REC.709 setting for the X3! If this is more or less good, than I can stick with my X3 order

Cheers
S.
post #562 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuniman View Post
I want to say that I am as thrilled as Sam about the initital impressions from the RS40. The one issue is convergence. I didn't get as lucky as I could have wished but nothing is over about 1/2 pixel except the very bottom left corner. I will take some pics and post tomorrow.
I didn't get so lucky with my X7/RS50 either. Once it has warmed up (about 10 minutes), then it is within 0.1/0.2 in the main central area. But the top right corner is about 0.8 out with red. Bottom left corner is about a bit in blue but you never really pick up on blue convergence issues.

When first switching on the convergence is different however, with it being about 1.1 pixels out in the top right corner and about 0.4 pixels out in the centre. Basically it is as if the red panels moves rightwards slightly as it warms up. Gary confirmed however that the convergence can change as it warms up. I had not personally noticed this with previous JVCs.
post #563 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Ghosting is not really an issue in general but sometimes you do see it.

Despicable me is an example. The menu that appears before you start the movie shows a 100 IRE white backdrop with an orange menu pushed forward out of the screen. To the right of the menu is an obvious orange ghost.

I have also noticed increased ghosting with PS3 at 720p and side-by-side satellite. My first thought on this, is that both of these will be outputting at 120Hz, whereas 3D blu-rays will in general will result in the JVC working at 96Hz. The lower frequency means less image swaps, or slower frame switching, which may be the reason.

An example of fairly obvious ghosting on the PS3 is the Motostorm Pacific Drift game. First track you have access to as the race starts and you will see it fairly clearly.
post #564 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The other piece of good news is that the JVC is doing this with a 96hz frame rate - 48 fps/eye. That means no 3:2 pulldown judder. Very, very cool. The JVC reps kept telling us that the engineers were hard at work behind the scenes, and that we'd be happy with the improvements over the pre-production models. Sounds like that might have been more than just the company line.
I missed that announcement completely. Where did the JVC guys say that?

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #565 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post
I have the oppo 93 but am waiting on the PJ. Can you tell me how to get to the screen menue to do that? I have the panamorph 480 to do the horizontal stretch.
It's actually just a press of a button on the remote. I think it's called zoom on the remote. It then does vertical stretch, several zooms, and a .5 zoom as well. So I think you have to jog through the options to get back to no zoom unless oppo offers specific code.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #566 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post
I missed that announcement completely. Where did the JVC guys say that?
I think Joseph was referring to this post by Chris: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19484127
post #567 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I think Joseph was referring to this post by Chris
OK, thanks. That post makes no mention of the specifics though, so I guess we're actually in the dark about what Chris meant.

post #568 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 06:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I think Joseph was referring to this post by Chris: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19484127

Yes, there were a few posts like that hinting at improvements, but without any specifics. I took them with a large grain of salt at the time.

Joe Clark

post #569 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

OK, thanks. That post makes no mention of the specifics though, so I guess we're actually in the dark about what Chris meant.

This was around the time you were told that the "production model" you were reviewing was really a pre-production model - despite several assurances by JVC to the contrary. It was a time when many of us weren't feeling much confidence in information coming from JVC. Do you have any idea when you'll be getting a final production model to review, or has that review been shelved?

Joe Clark

post #570 of 10005 Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have any idea when you'll be getting a final production model to review, or has that review been shelved?

Latest info has them arriving in Finland just a day or two before Xmas.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page