post #5851 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnies View Post

My installer installed the emitter on top of the screen. The emitter is 17feet from the projector. He used an extension cable that works fine. I would try to get an extension cable and mount on the ceiling above the screen

This would definitely work, but many have reported good success simply bouncing it off the screen. Less complicated if it works and well worth trying first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5852 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonbdevost View Post

Has anyone here come across any 3D glasses for kids that would work with the RS40?

My 3 year old son loves watching, but complains that the glasses hurt a bit. He is very good about not touching them, he asks me to put them on, take them off, and adjust them (so far so good).

Would love to find some too. My three year old doesn't want to put on the glasses anymore and instead of making him watch a blurry mess (he doesn't complain) for 2 hours I just change to the 2D versions on the Blu-rays I have. Too bad because I would really like to watch more 3D.
post #5853 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Im posting this here since many of us use the Oppo 93 with this pj.
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...e-42-0323.aspx
post #5854 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post

Would love to find some too. My three year old doesn't want to put on the glasses anymore and instead of making him watch a blurry mess (he doesn't complain) for 2 hours I just change to the 2D versions on the Blu-rays I have. Too bad because I would really like to watch more 3D.

Most people don't recommend that kids under 6 watch 3D content. I believe this has to do with development of the eye muscles.

I'd approach this with caution.

Chris
post #5855 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post

Yes, I run my RS40 at 19.7 feet from the screen, and the emitter works just fine -- almost 40 feet round trip.

Mounting it on the projector and aiming it at the screen is the most common method. The cord is there in case you have an unusual install (like in a hush box or some other obstruction). I don't think your distance will cause a problem, although each room is different.

A few people have found the I/R signal can flood/interfere with other I/R control devices, and have had better results using an extension and positioning it at the screen. Unless you are running into that, I'd recommend leaving it back by the projector.

Chris
post #5856 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post

Most people don't recommend that kids under 6 watch 3D content. I believe this has to do with development of the eye muscles.

I'd approach this with caution.

Chris

The brain develops its visual perception centers in the early years, including 3D mapping. I imagine artificial 3D could confuse that process.
post #5857 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfm View Post

below the pictures i have the pixel adjust number... when pixel adjust is on 3 the blue is at the same line with green and red on the bottom of the screen and one pixel up on the top of the screen at the same time!! when pixel adjust is on 2 i have the opposite effect!!!

That is unfortunate... If JonStatt is correct on what is acceptable according to JVC, you're right on the very edge of acceptable - actually from what I see in the pictures, you might be able to make the case that it's slightly more than one pixel out on the edge no matter which setting you choose. It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but if you can see that it's more than 1 pixel out on the top or bottom edge for whatever setting you choose, I'd aim for an RMA.
post #5858 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfm View Post

below the pictures i have the pixel adjust number... when pixel adjust is on 3 the blue is at the same line with green and red on the bottom of the screen and one pixel up on the top of the screen at the same time!! when pixel adjust is on 2 i have the opposite effect!!!

it sounds like my first RS40, the panels were not aligned correctly so a pixel adjust will fix one side of the screen and then throw off the other.

My RS50 blue is off by ~1 pixel, but the panels by chance are evenly aligned so it's easy to fix it to near perfect convergence.

if it's bugging you send it back for a replacement.
post #5859 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you know if online dealers can give warranty on JVC RS40?
post #5860 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Do you know if online dealers can give warranty on JVC RS40?

AVS does so I assume there's no limitation from just being an online vendor. Now... authorized? I'd make sure about that.
post #5861 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM

I posted this in the screen forum but I'm posting it here as well since it's related to the X3 I picked up last night.

Ok so I finally got my X3 yesterday and did a quick setup to check it out. My sceen (not in place yet) is a 2.37:1 ProCurv 140" wide CIH. I thought I had done all the calculations correctly before ordering it, but obviously not (edit I tried the calculator again today on projector central and it states a throw of 15'11" will fill my screen, it does not) My throw is 182" and with the X3 fully zoomed it still leaves 4.25" on either side of the screen not filled. Sigh. It has been suggested that an anamorphic lens will correct this issue and fill the screen. I'm looking for opinions on what to do. The only other option I see is to send it back to SMX and have it cut down. However I'm not crazy about the shipping logistics of this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

thx
post #5862 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl View Post

I posted this in the screen forum but I'm posting it here as well since it's related to the X3 I picked up last night.

Ok so I finally got my X3 yesterday and did a quick setup to check it out. My sceen (not in place yet) is a 2.37:1 ProCurv 140" wide CIH. I thought I had done all the calculations correctly before ordering it, but obviously not (edit I tried the calculator again today on projector central and it states a throw of 15'11" will fill my screen, it does not) My throw is 182" and with the X3 fully zoomed it still leaves 4.25" on either side of the screen not filled. Sigh. It has been suggested that an anamorphic lens will correct this issue and fill the screen. I'm looking for opinions on what to do. The only other option I see is to send it back to SMX and have it cut down. However I'm not crazy about the shipping logistics of this.

thx

182" is 15'2". So, yeah, you are too close. The calculator seems to be correct, your conversion from feet/inches to inches seems have had a hiccup.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #5863 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

182" is 15'2". So, yeah, you are too close. The calculator seems to be correct, your conversion from feet/inches to inches seems have had a hiccup.

shinksma

No I actually had moved it to 15'11" just to try it and it still didn't fill the screen...
post #5864 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post
Since we are on the subject of 3D. I use a PCH A-210 for almost all my content which I believe has been updated to send 3D now if the source was ripped in 3D. However the PCH A-210 only uses HDMI 1.3 spec. If the device generating the 3D is on HDMI 1.3 spec, which goes to my receiver which is 1.3 (Denon 4310) to the projector which is 1.4, will I get HD audio and 3D?
I also use a PH for all of my standard blu-rays. I short the PH will NOT play a standard ripped 3D Blu-ray disc. They added support is for side-by-side (SS) and top-to-bottom (TB) for 720 and 1080 files. I could not get the player to automatically place the projector into the correct 3D mode. It always picks the wrong mode.

So to play back a file you have to:

1) Set the PH's output to 1080i. (1080p SS and TP is not supported on the JVC side?)
2) Start Playing the file.
3) Go into the JVC's menu and go into the HDMI settings for 3d and set it to SS or TB.
4) When done playing the file you will have to go back into the JVC's menu
and set it to 3d, since the PH's screen will be doubled.

Generally it is a pain to play 3d files through the PH, so in general I play my 3d discs via my PS3.
post #5865 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
It looked great on my 142" 2.8 HP screen
What screen do you have? I have wall of size 13 feet 6 inch width. I am trying to decide bigger Fixed frame screen around 140 to 150 inch and would like to make sure that screen is bright enough with the projector.
post #5866 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
No I actually had moved it to 15'11" just to try it and it still didn't fill the screen...
Are you sure you are measuring from the front of the lens to the closest plane of the screen (Not to the actual screen in the middle)?

If it were me I would put it in the next room and knock a hole in the wall. I know it sounds extreme, but sending the screen back sounds extreme to me. Hopefully the projector is not on an outside wall.

If you get an anamorphic lens, you will lose 3d.
post #5867 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psolar View Post
Are you sure you are measuring from the front of the lens to the closest plane of the screen (Not to the actual screen in the middle)?

If it were me I would put it in the next room and knock a hole in the wall. I know it sounds extreme, but sending the screen back sounds extreme to me. Hopefully the projector is not on an outside wall.

Yes I am measuring correctly. It simply doesn't produce the image size that the pj calculator indicates. It's on an outside wall so I can't move it back.
post #5868 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Build an addition!!
post #5869 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Yes I am measuring correctly. It simply doesn't produce the image size that the pj calculator indicates. It's on an outside wall so I can't move it back.

I just did some trig, and if you have the 20' radius Procurv screen, then your effective screen width is just over 146" (i.e. the width of the image if flat projected at the same distance as the center of the curved screen).

So yes, you will have at least 3" of screen on each side not covered by the RS40 at the distance you tried of 15'11".

You either need to find a way to increase the throw distance, or make your screen effectively about 134" wide by using some extra velvet or physically cutting down the screen size.

If you have one of the larger radii screens the effect would not be as severe, but would still be non-zero.

What screen radius did you get?

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #5870 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 06:20 PM
JJ7

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

This would definitely work, but many have reported good success simply bouncing it off the screen. Less complicated if it works and well worth trying first.

Mine has over a 30' round trip (bouncing off the screen) and works fine.
post #5871 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Is Mark H still alive? Havent seen him post in awhile.
post #5872 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Psolar - Is it correct that you lose 3d if you use an anamorphic lens?
post #5873 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why?? You'd have to have a 3D capable scaler, but they do exist.
post #5874 of 9990 Old 03-30-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:

thx
If you have a 2.37:1 screen, then the best solution definitely is an anamorphic lens.

The real question is what is your screen height? I believe the numbers you see on the calculators are based on a 16:9 screen. You have a 2.37:1 screen (approx. 21:9).

I am guessing your screen height is about 59". In that case, 16:9 content from any HD source should fill the height of the screen nicely at the throw distance you have. You will have blank space on the left and right edges. That is normal. My chart shows that with a 59" height, you can have a throw as close as almost 12 feet. So, you are fine.

With "Cinemascope" type content where you still have letter box bars, you engage the V-Stretch (scaling) on the JVC projector, which makes everything tall and skinny, eliminating (or greatly reducing) those black bars. Next, you move an anamorphic lens in front of the projector, which expands the picture to the full width of your screen. This will fill your screen completely (or very close--depending on the exact matting of the particular movie you are watching).

Two concerns: Please note that the V-Stretch function (scaling) in the JVC only works on 2D content. If you have "Cinemascope" 3D content and you want to fill your screen, you need an outboard scaler to do the V-Stretch. Lumagen makes several very good ones.

Also, I don't know the gain of your screen, but unless it's pretty high, it may be a little bit large to get ideal 3D content. THX recommends a 90" diagonal screen based on a 1.0 gain, which translates to about a 113" screen with a 1.3 gain. This is a good guideline for your projector too, even though it is not a THX certified model. A larger size screen would require a higher gain for adequate brightness in 3D, and with a higher gain screen there can be other trade-offs, although many people like them a lot.

Chris
post #5875 of 9990 Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 AM

One more question to those that upgraded from the Older JVC projectors.

How does the Panel convergence and lens sharpness compare to the older series?

I know that it cant get any worse then my old panny, but im still trying to chose between the RS25 and RS40.
post #5876 of 9990 Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
My X9 is much sharper and slightly better converged than my RS35

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #5877 of 9990 Old 03-31-2011, 05:02 AM

Shinksma, Chris (and unclemat lol) thanks for the feedback. While I don't think I can add an addition. I spent many hours with the problem last night. On a flat surface with a throw distance of 15'11" the PJ does create a 140.25" width image. Moving the PJ into the theater with this same throw distance the image is 8.5" short of filling the screen. Shinksma the screen is a 40 radius FYI. However, I have solved the problem. Originally the PJ was going to be mounted in the soffit which limited the throw distance for me. Trying the PJ last night against the back wall (not in soffit) the grid almost filled the screen. Cutting out some drywall and sliding the PJ back a few more inches the PJ now fills the screen. Since there will be fabric frames all around this cutout it will not be seen and I believe this is the best solution to the problem. Chris you are correct with the calculations, the screen height is 59" and the calculators are based on 16:9. The gain of the Cineweave HD is 1.1 and I'm not concerned at this point about 3D content, just very good 2D.

I appreciate the help from everyone as that was a stressful day and a half trying to figure out a solution! Now I'm off to start researching mounts as that obviously wasn't in my original plan!

On a side note, the image this X3 produces is unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post
If you have a 2.37:1 screen, then the best solution definitely is an anamorphic lens.
The real question is what is your screen height? I believe the numbers you see on the calculators are based on a 16:9 screen. You have a 2.37:1 screen (approx. 21:9).

I am guessing your screen height is about 59". In that case, 16:9 content from any HD source should fill the height of the screen nicely at the throw distance you have. You will have blank space on the left and right edges. That is normal. My chart shows that with a 59" height, you can have a throw as close as almost 12 feet. So, you are fine.

With "Cinemascope" type content where you still have letter box bars, you engage the V-Stretch (scaling) on the JVC projector, which makes everything tall and skinny, eliminating (or greatly reducing) those black bars. Next, you move an anamorphic lens in front of the projector, which expands the picture to the full width of your screen. This will fill your screen completely (or very close--depending on the exact matting of the particular movie you are watching).

Two concerns: Please note that the V-Stretch function (scaling) in the JVC only works on 2D content. If you have "Cinemascope" 3D content and you want to fill your screen, you need an outboard scaler to do the V-Stretch. Lumagen makes several very good ones.

Also, I don't know the gain of your screen, but unless it's pretty high, it may be a little bit large to get ideal 3D content. THX recommends a 90" diagonal screen based on a 1.0 gain, which translates to about a 113" screen with a 1.3 gain. This is a good guideline for your projector too, even though it is not a THX certified model. A larger size screen would require a higher gain for adequate brightness in 3D, and with a higher gain screen there can be other trade-offs, although many people like them a lot.

Chris
post #5878 of 9990 Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl
Shinksma, Chris (and unclemat lol) thanks for the feedback. While I don't think I can add an addition. I spent many hours with the problem last night. On a flat surface with a throw distance of 15'11" the PJ does create a 140.25" width image. Moving the PJ into the theater with this same throw distance the image is 8.5" short of filling the screen. Shinksma the screen is a 40 radius FYI. However, I have solved the problem. Originally the PJ was going to be mounted in the soffit which limited the throw distance for me. Trying the PJ last night against the back wall (not in soffit) the grid almost filled the screen. Cutting out some drywall and sliding the PJ back a few more inches the PJ now fills the screen. Since there will be fabric frames all around this cutout it will not be seen and I believe this is the best solution to the problem. Chris you are correct with the calculations, the screen height is 59" and the calculators are based on 16:9. The gain of the Cineweave HD is 1.1 and I'm not concerned at this point about 3D content, just very good 2D.

I appreciate the help from everyone as that was a stressful day and a half trying to figure out a solution! Now I'm off to start researching mounts as that obviously wasn't in my original plan!

On a side note, the image this X3 produces is unbelievable!
Just make sure there's enough air circulation behind the projector for the intakes at the back. Sounds like with your solution that might be a problem.
post #5879 of 9990 Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 AM

Location: Fort Worth, TX (born and raised in Montréal, Québec, Canada)
You seem to know what you're doing but keep in mind ventilation. Air intake is in the back so make sure that beauty can breathe!

EDIT: post 2 minutes too late!

GO HABS GO!
post #5880 of 9990 Old 03-31-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post
Just make sure there's enough air circulation behind the projector for the intakes at the back. Sounds like with your solution that might be a problem.

Thanks Guys. I've cut a 20"x18" opening in the wall above where the PJ will be mounted so I believe that will provide adequate airflow for the X3 to pull air in from the back.

david
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page