Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For anyone coming from an RS20 or RS2/1, this is a considerable 2D PQ upgrade! My DirecTV HD channels look significantly sharper and way more colorful, and this is with Color, brightness, and contrast set to Zero by default. I imagine the more i play with the settings above the better the picture looks. But the overall 2D picture quality straight out of the box blows away my old RS20.

Clear Motion Drive Mode 3 and Mode 4 look great for DirecTV and HD sports.

Also Natural and Anime look best for TV programming as they offer more color punch and slightly more brightness than Film and Cinema mode. But this is my own preference.

Overall, I think this is a big picture quality upgrade for anyone with an RS20 or older. I can totally and proudly say that I would rather watch DirecTV on the RS40 over my slick new 55" Sony HX800 LED. Sure the Sony is slightly a tab bit sharper, but the RS40 is projecting against a screen more than twice the size of the 55" Sony.

Color wise, the RS40 is noticeably more punchy than the RS20, hands down.

I have already discussed contrast and black levels in a previous post. If you cannot see the difference side by side against an RS20 then i suggest an eye exam stat! The RS40 is noticeably blacker and the native contrast even though the same as the the RS20, it looks perceivably better, just the sheer blackness in the Dark Knight arial night scene with the downtown city lights blaring, is a great testimony to the improvement in this projector as far as 2D.

As i am typing this I saw a couple of very colorful HD commercials, and wow the colors are truly beautiful and sharpness is definitely better than i originally described. 2D TV viewing is amazing on this projector, waaaay better than the RS20. It really does almost feel iike watching TV on a 110" Pioneer Or Panasonic plasma. i better Not get used to watching too much TV on the RS40 as i need to keep the precious lamp hours for 2D/3D movies

More impressions to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica watch View Post

I see, no other upgading software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica watch View Post

thank your post so much.
LCD
LUMINIOR
WATCHES-REPLICA1

Is this a joke?

MODS? Please ban this spamming joker and delete his spam posts

Thanks
post #33 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Thanks so much for testing for the color flashing/fringing. You saved me a lot of hassle in having to buy and then return the JVC. I have the Sony and after getting used to Dark Frame Insertion (it does flicker a bit) I CANNOT ever have a projector that doesn't have a usable Dark frame insertion mode. The Sony with DFI produces motion that is better then my VT20 panasonic plasma. Im also used to slight plasma flicker but it doesn't bother me. Again thanks, and enjoy your projector. Im sure it's great other then the problem (which is huge for me, but a non-issue for others).
post #34 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Thanks so much for testing for the color flashing/fringing. You saved me a lot of hassle in having to buy and then return the JVC. I have the Sony and after getting used to Dark Frame Insertion (it does flicker a bit) I CANNOT ever have a projector that doesn't have a usable Dark frame insertion mode. The Sony with DFI produces motion that is better then my VT20 panasonic plasma. Im also used to slight plasma flicker but it doesn't bother me. Again thanks, and enjoy your projector. Im sure it's great other then the problem (which is huge for me, but a non-issue for others).

Again, my only disclaimer is that i am not the best tester to go by, so hopefully most of this will clear up when more advanced users get their hands on their new RS projectors.

And as i said, the color flashing is only somewhat noticeable (if you look for it) on modes 1 and 2 and on fast moving scenes or scenes with sudden moves.

Also can someone tell me which modes are the BFI modes and which ones are the standard FI modes?
post #35 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
BFI will have some flicker. Easy to see if you put up a white screen. Non BI modes will not flicker at all.
post #36 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an FYI, the pictures do not do this projector any justice, it is truly a beauutifully design projector, and it looks much more initimidating in person.

post #37 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:09 AM

Congratzzzzzzzzz on the arrival of your new rs40, it looks damn sexy!!!!! still waiting on mines =(

Was your rs40 calibrated by your dealer ? If not , are you contemplating it or would you recommend a calibration?

How is color accuracy compared to your rs20 since the new rs40 lacks CMS ?

I know screen shots are useless and will not prove anything " but " if you have time can you pleeeeease take some nice high res snap shots showing off the new rs40 projected on your screen (you'll be the first to do so, lol) . Can you use dark night material showing off blacks , the possible digital rain noise artifact and some eye popping vivid color action shots.

Best regards,
Jay
post #38 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5z06 View Post

Congratzzzzzzzzz on the arrival of your new rs40, it looks damn sexy!!!!! still waiting on mines =(

Was you rs40 calibrated by your dealer ? If not , are you contemplating it or would you recommend a calibration?

How is color accuracy compared to your rs20 since the new rs40 lacks CMS ?

I know screen shots are useless and will not prove anything " but " if you have time can you pleeeeease take some nice high res snap shots showing off the new rs40 projected on your screen (you'll be the first to do so, lol) . Can you use dark night material showing off blacks , the possible digital rain noise artifact and some eye popping vivid color action shots.

Best regards,
Jay

Thanks Jay, I did not calibrate it with my dealer as my inboxing photos show a sealed box. As it appears right now, I think the color accuracy is better out of the box than the RS20, honestly every aspect of the picture quality from brightness to contrast to sharpness to color punch and black levels all look better than my old RS20 out of the box, but maybe I am just too excited now, but my eyes are telling my brains that this is a much better projector. I will surely attempt some non-professional self calibration based on what others such as LovingDVD and Darin, Ekkert, among other calibration experts would suggest for the RS40. But for now, the out of box image and color accuracy are fantastic (I hope I am not being under-picky but they do look great), and I am not worried that there is no CMS because the Natural (presumably Rec 709) looks really good!

As far as screen shots, I will do my best tonight, its past 1AM in Denver and I gotta be up in a few hours to go to work. But I will do my best to take some Dark Knight screenshots with my Point and Shoot Canon 13MP camera.
post #39 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:16 AM

Congratulations on getting your projector!

I am getting a little time with an RS60 tomorrow and hope to have a few things to share.

Chris
post #40 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks for taking the time to post your first impressions! Now I'm really getting excited about getting my rs40. My recently sold pj was an rs1, so if a former rs20 owner like yourself is noticing a significant improvement, I think I'm in for a real treat!
post #41 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post

Congratulations on getting your projector!

I am getting a little time with an RS60 tomorrow and hope to have a few things to share.

Chris

Thanks and welcome back Chris, you and Todd (TOE) must come over for some 2D/3D viewing here soon. Two questions:

1- Since you are with JVC in Denver, do you have any 3D emitters I could borrow? I promise to return them as soon as I get the emitter from my dealer. If you can swing this, me and MANY others would seriously appreciate it. If anything, would you know of a dealer in town who will have the emitter in stock?

2- Since we live Mile High, do we REALLY need to use High Altitude Mode? It's really loud, almost as loud as high lamp mode. Please let me know if I have to and why should I use HA mode.

Thanks

P.S: Are you back in town from the Disney trip?
post #42 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Thanks for taking the time to post your first impressions! Now I'm really getting excited about getting my rs40. My recently sold pj was an rs1, so if a former rs20 owner like yourself is noticing a significant improvement, I think I'm in for a real treat!

Dude! Get ready to have your mind blown if you previously owned an RS1
post #43 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fellas,
I will try to post a few screenshots using my Point and Shoot (no flash obviously). But I may not be able to do the all white or all black testing, or the uniformity, and other testing requiring the AVS disc. I will follow up tomorrow after 6pm.

Also, I cannot use my AR lens in scope movies until I have my mount situation resolved.
post #44 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

... the 4 arms on my Chief RPA mount are too short, by almost about an inch.

Congratulations on the new PJ mate

Regarding the mount, I've purchased a Chief RPM universal mount in anticipation of my X3 arriving (hopefully) soon.

Using the dimensions/drawings that Gary posted some time back in the pre-release thread, I've checked that the SLBU plate and arms should be able to extend far enough to reach the four mounting points on the PJ.

On the plate, I had to place the arms in the holes furthest away from the center, though. Did you check that yours is mounted like this? (I don't know if the RPA mount is different from the RPM in this regard)

The RPM/SLBU includes a set of long screws that can be used with, among others, the JVC PJs. Do you not have these?
post #45 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
You can evaluate convergence without a test disc.

Just press up, down, right, left and OK quickly on the remote to enter the service menu. Then press right twice to get to the appropriate menu and choose adjust pattern.

The first pattern that appears is a convergence checker. It shows the red /blue and green lines separated. You need to check the centre first and then check each corner. If you press right, you will see a second pattern that is a 2 pixel white grid which is not ideal for convergence chcking but you will still see if it is out of alignment. Also, if you can do this just after switch-on, and the 20 minutes later to see if it moves, as mine does, as it warms up.
post #46 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
For noise, when you said you checked it on the lens adjust screens, you were looking at the grey box in the middle? Try putting it in 3D mode instead of whatever you had it in, and then try that screen again.

Changing the gamma should not have resulted in any weird errors. I have already flicked back and forth between the 2 3D gamma modes without any issue. Hopefully it was just a one-off glitch.
post #47 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Dude! Get ready to have your mind blown if you previously owned an RS1

Yikes!!! And you haven't even seen 3d yet!

Here's a lame joke: What will our faces look like when watching 3d on our rs40's?

Answer:
post #48 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks and welcome back Chris, you and Todd (TOE) must come over for some 2D/3D viewing here soon. Two questions:

1- Since you are with JVC in Denver, do you have any 3D emitters I could borrow? I promise to return them as soon as I get the emitter from my dealer. If you can swing this, me and MANY others would seriously appreciate it. If anything, would you know of a dealer in town who will have the emitter in stock?

2- Since we live Mile High, do we REALLY need to use High Altitude Mode? It's really loud, almost as loud as high lamp mode. Please let me know if I have to and why should I use HA mode.

Thanks

P.S: Are you back in town from the Disney trip?

Hi Sam,

Yes, I'm back from Disney/Universal. Lots of fun. Rode enough roller coasters to last for quite a while.

Right now I'm in Temecula, CA for some JVC meetings. Spent today a little north of here at our offices in Cypress, CA attending THX training. Very informative.

I personally do not have any emitters or glasses, but I will check with our sales guys if any Denver accounts might have gotten some. They are shipping, just not in large quantity. It would be cool to see your system. PM me and I'd be glad to give you my e-mail/cell phone #.

Regarding high altitude mode, what it does is simply change the fan program to provide some additional cooling to compensate for the demands of higher altitudes. I have not found it necessary in Denver proper with our previous models at all. I do know that once you get any higher altitude, you definitely do need it. Keep in mind, this is me talking, not JVC. The manual has always said to use it over 3,000 feet altitude.

Keep in mind this is an all new light engine, and it does have a higher power lamp, so it may behave a little different. My thought is there is no harm trying it with high altitude mode switched off. The projectors have thermal protection. Worst case scenario is the projector shuts down after maybe 30 minutes, then you let it cool down, switch it back on, and turn the high altitude mode back on.

Chris
post #49 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

PLEASE DISREGARD my "BLUE RAIN DROP NOISE" post, turns out I WAS using bad HDMI cable, I knew it was ppretty old (circa 2007) but this is the only HDMI cable I have that is long enough to reach from the ceiling port to where the PJ is located.

The good news is that I plugged in the Oppo 93 directly using thier HDMI cable and there is ABSOLUTELY NO MORE of this "Raindrop like blue noise." So please breath a big sigh of relief.

The color flashing in CMD Modes 1 and 2 is still visible on high contrast sudden moving motion such as the bright white Oppo logo moving and appearing in random spots during the screen saver mode. But the color flashing is FAR LESS noticeable in modes 3 and 4. Also if you are watching a movie in modes 1 and 2, you may not notice the occasional color flashing unless you really obsess about finding it and looking for it.

Screenshots coming up.
post #50 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

For anyone coming from an RS20 or RS2/1, this is a considerable 2D PQ upgrade! My DirecTV HD channels look significantly sharper and way more colorful, and this is with Color, brightness, and contrast set to Zero by default. I imagine the more i play with the settings above the better the picture looks. But the overall 2D picture quality straight out of the box blows away my old RS20.

Clear Motion Drive Mode 3 and Mode 4 look great for DirecTV and HD sports.

Also Natural and Anime look best for TV programming as they offer more color punch and slightly more brightness than Film and Cinema mode. But this is my own preference.

Overall, I think this is a big picture quality upgrade for anyone with an RS20 or older. I can totally and proudly say that I would rather watch DirecTV on the RS40 over my slick new 55" Sony HX800 LED. Sure the Sony is slightly a tab bit sharper, but the RS40 is projecting against a screen more than twice the size of the 55" Sony.

Color wise, the RS40 is noticeably more punchy than the RS20, hands down.

I have already discussed contrast and black levels in a previous post. If you cannot see the difference side by side against an RS20 then i suggest an eye exam stat! The RS40 is noticeably blacker and the native contrast even though the same as the the RS20, it looks perceivably better, just the sheer blackness in the Dark Knight arial night scene with the downtown city lights blaring, is a great testimony to the improvement in this projector as far as 2D.

As i am typing this I saw a couple of very colorful HD commercials, and wow the colors are truly beautiful and sharpness is definitely better than i originally described. 2D TV viewing is amazing on this projector, waaaay better than the RS20. It really does almost feel iike watching TV on a 110" Pioneer Or Panasonic plasma. i better Not get used to watching too much TV on the RS40 as i need to keep the precious lamp hours for 2D/3D movies

More impressions to follow.

Thanks for the impressions. I presently have a HD750 (RS20) and had contemplated an RS40 (X3 over here) but was put off by lack of CMS and reports that ANSI contrast has essentially remained the same. I wonder in your comparison over your new RS40 with your old RS20 whether you are comparing an ISF calibrated RS20 to the RS40? I must say that when I first bought my HD750 I felt that there was something lacking until I got it properly calibrated and then it suddenly took on a different life. The out of the box colours were off, sharpness was not as good as I wanted et. But calibration made a huge difference. So if I may repeat the question, are you comparing a fully calibrated RS20 to your new RS40? I'm sure you are but thanks for confirming.
post #51 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary_Jules View Post

Thanks for the impressions. I presently have a HD750 (RS20) and had contemplated an RS40 (X3 over here) but was put off by lack of CMS and reports that ANSI contrast has essentially remained the same. I wonder in your comparison over your new RS40 with your old RS20 whether you are comparing an ISF calibrated RS20 to the RS40? I must say that when I first bought my HD750 I felt that there was something lacking until I got it properly calibrated and then it suddenly took on a different life. The out of the box colours were off, sharpness was not as good as I wanted et. But calibration made a huge difference. So if I may repeat the question, are you comparing a fully calibrated RS20 to your new RS40? I'm sure you are but thanks for confirming.

I never calibrated my RS20, only basic picture adjustments. So in a sense I am comparing apples (RS40 present) to apples (RS20 from memory) and there is no denying in my mind that the RS40 blows away the RS20.
post #52 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I never calibrated my RS20, only basic picture adjustments. So in a sense I am comparing apples (RS40 present) to apples (RS20 from memory) and there is no denying in my mind that the RS40 blows away the RS20.

Thanks again. I can only say that from my own experience my fully calibrated RS20 is a radical improvement over how it was OOTB - this is in terms of black level, contrast, perceived sharpness and colours - though after your report I'll be very interested to see an RS40 in action.
post #53 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

For noise, when you said you checked it on the lens adjust screens, you were looking at the grey box in the middle? Try putting it in 3D mode instead of whatever you had it in, and then try that screen again.

Changing the gamma should not have resulted in any weird errors. I have already flicked back and forth between the 2 3D gamma modes without any issue. Hopefully it was just a one-off glitch.

Jon, I am too tiredand sleepy to comprehend any instructions right now its 3:30am and I didn't think I will still be up that late. So I will revisit this post tomorrow and get more clarification.
post #54 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeutsch View Post

Hi Sam,

Yes, I'm back from Disney/Universal. Lots of fun. Rode enough roller coasters to last for quite a while.

Right now I'm in Temecula, CA for some JVC meetings. Spent today a little north of here at our offices in Cypress, CA attending THX training. Very informative.

I personally do not have any emitters or glasses, but I will check with our sales guys if any Denver accounts might have gotten some. They are shipping, just not in large quantity. It would be cool to see your system. PM me and I'd be glad to give you my e-mail/cell phone #.

Regarding high altitude mode, what it does is simply change the fan program to provide some additional cooling to compensate for the demands of higher altitudes. I have not found it necessary in Denver proper with our previous models at all. I do know that once you get any higher altitude, you definitely do need it. Keep in mind, this is me talking, not JVC. The manual has always said to use it over 3,000 feet altitude.

Keep in mind this is an all new light engine, and it does have a higher power lamp, so it may behave a little different. My thought is there is no harm trying it with high altitude mode switched off. The projectors have thermal protection. Worst case scenario is the projector shuts down after maybe 30 minutes, then you let it cool down, switch it back on, and turn the high altitude mode back on.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will PM you later today. Thanks for answering the HA mode question and it would GREAT if you can help me find a dealer that may get the emitter in my hands sooner, and hopefully this week.
post #55 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvestergaard View Post

Congratulations on the new PJ mate

Regarding the mount, I've purchased a Chief RPM universal mount in anticipation of my X3 arriving (hopefully) soon.

Using the dimensions/drawings that Gary posted some time back in the pre-release thread, I've checked that the SLBU plate and arms should be able to extend far enough to reach the four mounting points on the PJ.

On the plate, I had to place the arms in the holes furthest away from the center, though. Did you check that yours is mounted like this? (I don't know if the RPA mount is different from the RPM in this regard)

The RPM/SLBU includes a set of long screws that can be used with, among others, the JVC PJs. Do you not have these?

I think what I have is an RPA mount and I am not sure anymore if it is universal. It did fit the RS20, but the arms are definitely too short for the wider RS40. So I think you, and many others, are OK as long as you measured the extent of the arms against the new PJ measurements, which I did not this whole time, oh well, it will be table top for a while until I resolve this issue or get a new mount
post #56 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Please Note that these were taken at 3AM in the morning using a simple point and shoot Canon. And for the record, none of the screenshots will do the projector's actual pictures any justice. In Real life, the BLACKS are much blacker, the whites are much whiter, and the REDs appear Really red (versus the orange tone my camera makes them appear to be) and same goes for Blue, RED, and Green screen tests, the colors in person are MUCH MORE "Colorful," deep, and punchy. So in other words, the following screenshots are CRAP! But the actual projected image is FANTASTIC! and Color Accuracy out of the box is hands down better than the RS20, I am pretty happy with everything out of the box, maybe in a 100-200 hours I may calibrate it, but the image, sharpness, blacks and colors look great as is.

Also towards the end, I posted the All White and All Black screenshot, and the later being unmistakenly obvious, the all black screen pattern was just PITCH BLACK! As if the PJ turned off completely.

And last in those Dark Knight screenshots, the masked gunmen's lips appear orange in the picture, but they are really red in real life, my camera blows!!! The same applies for the night downtown arial scene, it is sooo much more black, dark, and breathtaking in person than what the screenshot makes them appear to be.

DARK KNIGHT BLURAY:

DIRECTV HD:

SCREEN PATTERNS & SERVICE MENU:

post #57 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

damnsam77,

Thanks for your impressions, much appreciated!

Per Johnny
post #58 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You're welcome!

Another thing to note when viewing the screenshots above. I viewed them using my iPhone4 with it's Retina display and I will say that viewing screenshots on thr iphone4 is the closest to the real thing I see on my screen, versus a monitor or laptop where colors and blacks look somewhat different Just and FYI to view with your iphone4, if possible, for best color representation.
post #59 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 03:42 AM

What's the best technique to "fit" the image on the screen once the PJ is properly hung? Set it on a test pattern then use lens shift accordingly to center then zoom to fill and tweak shift is what I'm thinking... Sorry this will be my first PJ and it's "OUT FOR DELIVERY" and trying to get ready.

BTW, I have a new RPAU mount and will report back asap if it fits(or not) the RS40.

Why does a total noob gets one of those so early you say? Well it's simple: since I redesigned my billiards room into an HT months ago, I have been forced to watch a 26" LCD screen with a nice "little" 128" Stewart Studiotek in the background. Absolutely painful. The gods of HT are rewarding me

GO HABS GO!
post #60 of 10005 Old 12-08-2010, 03:58 AM

Thanks Sam. Appreciate all your effort...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page