Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The performance to me is negligible. I figured I would buy the x103s so that they would be easier to sell if I wanted to dump them. I can get the JVCs for the same price but them it may be alot harder to sell. So one pair of JVCs for me and the rest x103. I have 7 x103s and have only tried 3 of them to this point. I am going to try the rest tonight and at least send back the one with the issues.

I would not hesitate to refer the x103s besides the fact they dont turn on automatically.

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 237
can you guys with the JVC or 103's please let me know about the color tint. is there any noticeable difference? I recall someone saying the tint on the JVC was a more pleasing color than the 103's.

thanks
post #723 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Also, MC/CA will be more pronounced in my situation as I am using near to the shortest throw. This also challenges focus in the corners more as you are using less central glass for the corners. This is good for 3D of course as I am getting a brigher image but will affect my on/off contrast.

Have you checked the focus in the center of the screen both ways? With an RS20 and RS50 we found that the pixels were in better focus in the center of the screen with the projectors closest to the screen for the same image size versus further away. I believe that MTF will be higher for center pixels with the projector at the closer end of the zoom range. Do you think that MC/CA would be worse in the center of the screen with short throw and if so, why (especially if focus is better)?

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #724 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

can you guys with the JVC or 103's please let me know about the color tint. is there any noticeable difference? I recall someone saying the tint on the JVC was a more pleasing color than the 103's.

thanks

hmmm it's really negligble, I think the JVC had very slightly brighter tint or feel, but it had nothing to do with polarization because my screen cannot polarize (I tested the vertical head tilting method with no difference in brightnes).

My wife, in a blind test, prefered the X103 over the JVC, almost instantly, she said they felt "better" and looked better to her eyes, but I think both look virtually the same, I honestly cannot boldly say colors looked better on the JVC, because they felt the same with the exception of very slight additional brightness on the JVCs, sorry I couldn't be of much more help.
post #725 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

The performance to me is negligible. I figured I would buy the x103s so that they would be easier to sell if I wanted to dump them. I can get the JVCs for the same price but them it may be alot harder to sell. So one pair of JVCs for me and the rest x103. I have 7 x103s and have only tried 3 of them to this point. I am going to try the rest tonight and at least send back the one with the issues.

I would not hesitate to refer the x103s besides the fact they dont turn on automatically.

Adam, could you please PM me the price you are paying for the JVC glasses? No one I know of can sell it for less than the $150 price tag, which is approximately 30% more than the Xpand X103 glasses. I wouldn't mind one pair of JVCs to have on the side, but not at $150.
post #726 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Adam, could you please PM me the price you are paying for the JVC glasses? No one I know of can sell it for less than the $150 price tag, which is approximately 30% more than the Xpand X103 glasses. I wouldn't mind one pair of JVCs to have on the side, but not at $150.

Done and Done

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #727 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I already have more than 20 Bluray3D titles on hand, and with how great the ones I have seen so far look, I see the 3D addiction trend continuing. So I figured I list my 3D movies so that other owners of the same movies can discuss how they look (ghosting, flicker, color saturation, blacks..etc)

3D Blurays currently owned:
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 3D
  • Monster House 3D
  • Open Season 3D
  • My Bloody Valentine 3D
  • Michael Jackson's This is It 3D
  • Bolt 3D
  • Christmas Carol 3D
  • Polar Express 3D
  • Alice in Wonderland 3D
  • Legend of the Guardians 3D
  • Despicable Me 3D
  • Deep Sea 3D
  • Under The Sea 3D
  • Space Station 3D
  • Grand Canyon Adventure 3D
  • Dinosaurs Alive 3D
  • Wild Ocean 3D
  • The Universe: 7 Wonders 3D
  • 2010 FIFA World Cup Film 3D
  • Sony 3D Demo Disc

Soon to Own:
  • Step Up 3D
  • Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D
  • Coraline 3D
  • Piranha 3D
  • SAW 3D (maybe??)

I wouldn't mind if we all shared some the important time stamps for the blurays listed above:
  • Scenes showing any ghosting
  • Scenes showing any flicker
  • Scenes showing exemplery 3D effect (MUST SEE 3D )
  • Scenes needing more brightness (dark scenes where detail may be lost).
  • Any other ideas?
So maybe another thread, but I wouldn't want it mixed up with the 3D content thread with all the other flat panel TVs which ARE prone to both flicker and ghosting.

I also would love to test Street Dance 3D since many have said it will be a work out for the RS40 and may be the disc to finally show noticeably ghosting on the RS40, I would like to aquire this disc but not for the import price tag, seems to only sell outside the US. Someone mentioned that they may be able to find a way to get me to test it, but I have not heard anything further about that.
post #728 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

Have you checked the focus in the center of the screen both ways? With an RS20 and RS50 we found that the pixels were in better focus in the center of the screen with the projectors closest to the screen for the same image size versus further away. I believe that MTF will be higher for center pixels with the projector at the closer end of the zoom range. Do you think that MC/CA would be worse in the center of the screen with short throw and if so, why (especially if focus is better)?

--Darin

Hmm...my expectation is that MC/CA would not be worse in the center with short throw. Reading your statement and what I believe to be the case, is that at the short throw end you get better focus in the middle, but getting poorer towards the corner. At the long throw end the focus might not be quite as good in the center but it will be more linear over the whole image. For CA aspects of the lens, in my experience that is always less in the centre of the lens than further outwards. CA can amplify any MC.
post #729 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sam (or anyone else already with an RS40)...any comment on the performance in low to medium light, particularly watching 16:9 football?
post #730 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 01:36 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

That sounds very odd. Hope it is not some sort of bug. If you play normal (non 3D) content and you switch to 3d top/bottom mode, what happens? Anything?

The screen turns black for several seconds and the picture returns with no apparent change. Same as with Top/Bottom 3D content.

Quote:

How about if you switch to SbS? If nothing happens when switching to TnB but something does happen when you switch to SbS then that could indicate a problem exists.

Switching to SbS on non-3D material produces a several second black screen followed by an overlapped combination of the left and right sides of the screen.
post #731 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

Sam (or anyone else already with an RS40)...any comment on the performance in low to medium light, particularly watching 16:9 football?

I don't have natural light, but I will turn on some of my recessed dimmer lights to about 30% tonight while I am watching MNF on ESPN and will let you know
post #732 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
35mm camera lenses that exhibit CA usually have more problems on the edges and less issues in the central portion of the lens. Contrasty scenes - like branches of a bare tree against a bright blue sky - are good scenes to test camera lenses for CA. I don't know how any of this relates to projector lenses but I'd expect CA to worsen as you get further from the center. As to how CA varies with zoom setting I think it depends on the lens design and the various tradeoffs that must be made but it sounds like Darin has discovered it's better at the short throw end.

Geof
post #733 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmblad View Post

The screen turns black for several seconds and the picture returns with no apparent change. Same as with Top/Bottom 3D content.

Switching to SbS on non-3D material produces a several second black screen followed by an overlapped combination of the left and right sides of the screen.

Same behaviour on my X7/RS50. SBS works fine. Top/Bottom causes the projector to think for a moment and then do nothing different.
post #734 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Liked: 18
Just wondering if anyone here has received an X3 yet.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #735 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post

I believe ZBroke did.

EDIT: it was Adam
post #736 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I had a Epson 8500 and got because it had FI. I wanted it for sports. Honestly I could not tell the difference with it on (had it in mode 2) or off. It just did not seem to make a difference.
Can anyone with the RS 40 tell any difference when watching sports with motion using CMD?
post #737 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

I had a Epson 8500 and got because it had FI. I wanted it for sports. Honestly I could not tell the difference with it on (had it in mode 2) or off. It just did not seem to make a difference.
Can anyone with the RS 40 tell any difference when watching sports with motion using CMD?

Mode 3 is fairly mild, Mode 4 more aggressive - yes you can tell the difference I think...Mode 4 looks bad for non-sports, but doesn't seem too "obvious" with most sports material.

It would be nice if there was the option to choose both FI and DFI like the Sony however...
post #738 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post

I've had one for about a week now

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #739 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I already have more than 20 Bluray3D titles on hand, and with how great the ones I have seen so far look, I see the 3D addiction trend continuing. So I figured I list my 3D movies so that other owners of the same movies can discuss how they look (ghosting, flicker, color saturation, blacks..etc)

3D Blurays currently owned:
  • Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 3D
  • Monster House 3D
  • Open Season 3D
  • My Bloody Valentine 3D
  • Michael Jackson's This is It 3D
  • Bolt 3D
  • Christmas Carol 3D
  • Polar Express 3D
  • Alice in Wonderland 3D
  • Legend of the Guardians 3D
  • Despicable Me 3D
  • Deep Sea 3D
  • Under The Sea 3D
  • Space Station 3D
  • Grand Canyon Adventure 3D
  • Dinosaurs Alive 3D
  • Wild Ocean 3D
  • The Universe: 7 Wonders 3D
  • 2010 FIFA World Cup Film 3D
  • Sony 3D Demo Disc

Soon to Own:
  • Step Up 3D
  • Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D
  • Coraline 3D
  • Piranha 3D
  • SAW 3D (maybe??)

I wouldn't mind if we all shared some the important time stamps for the blurays listed above:
  • Scenes showing any ghosting
  • Scenes showing any flicker
  • Scenes showing exemplery 3D effect (MUST SEE 3D )
  • Scenes needing more brightness (dark scenes where detail may be lost).
  • Any other ideas?
So maybe another thread, but I wouldn't want it mixed up with the 3D content thread with all the other flat panel TVs which ARE prone to both flicker and ghosting.

I also would love to test Street Dance 3D since many have said it will be a work out for the RS40 and may be the disc to finally show noticeably ghosting on the RS40, I would like to aquire this disc but not for the import price tag, seems to only sell outside the US. Someone mentioned that they may be able to find a way to get me to test it, but I have not heard anything further about that.

How did you get the Guardians already?

What would you recommend for the nature 3D if any of them?

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #740 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 02:19 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpalmblad View Post

After a bit more testing I've determined that Top/Bottom does not work in 1080i mode. It does work in 720p mode. However I cannot get the RS40 to sync to my SA8300HD at 720p through my Onkyo TXNR 3008 (which is why I set the cable box to rescale to 1080). It will work connected directly, but not through the receiver. I have set all the inputs and outputs to "through" mode on the Onkyo, but nothing seems to allow 720P through the Onkyo to the RS40. This setup never caused a problem with PTAE3000 I used previously.
I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks.
Bob P.
post #741 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
IMAX Under the Sea 3D - Can anyone tell me how the 3D pop effect looks for the fish scene below between 9 second and 11 second. From the demo I saw at cedia, that fish is literally at the tip of your nose. Curious if you get the same effect with the JVC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66Kw6BUALRo
post #742 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Thanks. I'll play around with it on my Samsung just to get familiar with it. I assume it'll be self-explanatory on what to look for. Wondering why they did not make this patterns at 1920x1080...

I think maybe AVS downrezzed it. 1280x720 might be the max they allow for embedded images - not certain about that. I think the original was 1920x1080. I'll upload it to ImageShack later tonight and post again. Gotta run now.

Joe Clark

post #743 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

How did you get the Guardians already?

What would you recommend for the nature 3D if any of them?

I won't get Guardians until tomorrow, but I counted it in anyways

I have not been able to watch the Nature 3D shows like the 6 or 7 I listed above, but I will hopefully get some time to do so this week/weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

IMAX Under the Sea 3D - Can anyone tell me how the 3D pop effect looks for the fish scene below between 9 second and 11 second. From the demo I saw at cedia, that fish is literally at the tip of your nose. Curious if you get the same effect with the JVC

I will try to look at it soon. I can't imagine it being less effective with a production unit than CEDIA using a pre-production demo.
post #744 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I will try to look at it soon. I can't imagine it being less effective with a production unit than CEDIA using a pre-production demo.

The 3D demo I saw at cedia with that clip was not with a JVC. It was an amazing 3D demo with a Barco projector demoed by Peter at Cineramax. The actual scene was well know at cedia as the "Potato Cod" scene if I'm not mistaken.
post #745 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 52
This projector is amazing!!! It's everything I thought it was!!!!
post #746 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Hmm...my expectation is that MC/CA would not be worse in the center with short throw. Reading your statement and what I believe to be the case, is that at the short throw end you get better focus in the middle, but getting poorer towards the corner. At the long throw end the focus might not be quite as good in the center but it will be more linear over the whole image. For CA aspects of the lens, in my experience that is always less in the centre of the lens than further outwards. CA can amplify any MC.

I hope users and reviewers compare the various throw distance and zoom combinations to determine how they affect sharpness/convergence and/or contrast and black levels. Hopefully we can get an idea of the range of image quality we can expect and whether or not there is a 'sweet spot' or range that is better. Perhaps the middle of the zoom is best, but I don't know.
post #747 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Very cool Kevin! Thanks. These should do the trick?................

http://www.amazon.com/1-25-Sorbothan...2249003&sr=8-7

Would it be best to leave the JVC feet on and place these underneath, or take the JVC feet off completely and put these on the bottom of the projector?

Or maybe even these:

http://www.amazon.com/IsoNode-Pro-An...ref=pd_sim_k_4

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #748 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

This projector is amazing!!! It's everything I thought it was!!!!

haha Awesome dude! Another AVS member proving, to me at least, that I was not being overzealous in my initial reviews and nor do I suffer from a severe case of HMS (aka Honey Moon Syndorme)

It's funny that as optimistic I generally am, I really was expecting the worst, I even said in the Mega thread that I would be happy if the RS40 comes anywhere close to the Sony 55HX800 in terms of 3D performance, and many said that I should aim my expectations lower and that the RS40 will probably not be as good in 3D as the 3D flat panels due to sheer size of projected image and "expected" low brightness. But when this baby fired up in 3D and 2D, my heart skipped a half dozen beats and I got instant butterflies in my stomach, even now a week later, I still can't believe that I own this projector and I can play 3D in it's ultimate three dimensional goodness out of a projector in the low to mid $3000 range. No disrespect to Sony, but they really have no idea what's coming to them, the RS40 sales alone will probably more than quadruple Sony's uberexpensive VW90, when it comes to 3D demand.
post #749 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Got home and opened the mail
LL

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #750 of 9990 Old 12-13-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

You and the damn fish!

Look for the train in Polar Express as it comes out toward you! If you can get past the creepy animation of that movie...the soundtrack when their in the north pole sounds like they're in The Overlook Hotel in The Shining...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page