post #7831 of 9990 Old 09-19-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post

Any chance that a firmware upgrade will give us lens memory?

Right now I'm using Eventghost to do it, but it's not that precise.

No - lens memory was discuss a long time ago for the 2011 models and different hardware would be required.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 9990 Old 09-19-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

I usually wait until after the D-ILA boot-up image, before I turn on any of the source components. IE, turn on the projector first and wait for the blue screen and THEN start the HDMI handshake with the sources. I haven't had any problems doing it that way.

When I tried turning on the sources sooner, I was having the same D-ILA screen lockup you are describing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I use a Universal remote with macros and it uses the exact same start-up sequence every time.

Hi Dave,

And despite this you still have occasional lock-ups? What firmware version are you using?

Thanks.

Larry
post #7833 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 03:58 AM

Hi I am soon to be an owner of an x3 ! Is crosstalk a major problem and should I have waited for the next model ? Got my x3 at a good price though !
post #7834 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

Now that the RS45 is coming out, a secret signal is being sent to your projector that freezes it.

Seriously though, i havent heard that complain from anyone else. If i hear of a solution or cause, I will try to pass it along to the members

Seriously, mine also locks-up. Purchased at AVS. AVS needs to get an answer from JVC for its customers.

I don't have a Vista or XP computer (have Windows 7) so can't download the newer firmware. Called JVC twice about it. JVC customer service just shrugged it off. Said their expert would call me back, but never did.

What's the solution? Does the updated firmware fix it? If yes, can JVC provide a driver compatible with Windows 7?
post #7835 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrant View Post

Seriously, mine also locks-up. Purchased at AVS. AVS needs to get an answer from JVC for its customers.

I don't have a Vista or XP computer (have Windows 7) so can't download the newer firmware. Called JVC twice about it. JVC customer service just shrugged it off. Said their expert would call me back, but never did.

What's the solution? Does the updated firmware fix it? If yes, can JVC provide a driver compatible with Windows 7?

FYI - the 32-bit version of Win7 can be used for the update. I used a netbook running Win7 Starter (32-bit) to do the firmware update and it worked. If your only PC/laptop is running Win7 64-bit then perhaps you should check to see if any of your friends has a laptop you could borrow that is running WinXP or another 32-bit version of Windows.

One of the changes in the first available firmware update was supposed to correct lockup issues caused by HDMI handshake issues. I haven't had any lockup issues on my RS40, but I still only have a limited number of hours of use. From what I have read it appears that lockups are related to the specific devices connected to the projector via HDMI and also perhaps the order they are turned on or turned off.

Ron Jones
post #7836 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Dave,

And despite this you still have occasional lock-ups? What firmware version are you using?

Thanks.

Larry

The latest firmware (not sure of the version)...I updated it myself months ago.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #7837 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

FYI - the 32-bit version of Win7 can be used for the update. I used a netbook running Win7 Starter (32-bit) to do the firmware update and it worked. If your only PC/laptop is running Win7 64-bit then perhaps you should check to see if any of your friends has a laptop you could borrow that is running WinXP or another 32-bit version of Windows.

One of the changes in the first available firmware update was supposed to correct lockup issues caused by HDMI handshake issues. I haven't had any lockup issues on my RS40, but I still only have a limited number of hours of use. From what I have read it appears that lockups are related to the specific devices connected to the projector via HDMI and also perhaps the order they are turned on or turned off.

FYI - Yes, I'm have 64-bit. However, the above post seems to indicate that the newer firmware isn't the solution. Devices: Oppo 93 > Lumagen Mini3D > RS40.
post #7838 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

If you have Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate, you can run virtual XP.
post #7839 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley161 View Post

Hi I am soon to be an owner of an x3 ! Is crosstalk a major problem and should I have waited for the next model ? Got my x3 at a good price though !

crosstalk on the x3/rs40 is not a major problem if you let the projector warm up in high lamp mode for at least 20mins.
crosstalk is getting worser with lamp aging - but this should be equal to other projectors.
the problem with the jvc is the 120hz panel - well in fact it is 96hz for 3d blu-ray (48hz per eye), which is not good for people who are sensitive to flicker. a native 144hz panel (72hz per eye) or a solution like sony's sxrd with 240hz panels would be the better way.

if you got a very good deal - good. no brainer. otherwise I would have waited for the rs45/x30. i am still very satisfied with my rs40. the 3d performance is superb, almost crosstalk free. the only thing is: i am sensitive to the 48hz flicker and i really hope jvc will come out with new panels next year...
post #7840 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoHD View Post

crosstalk on the x3/rs40 is not a major problem if you let the projector warm up in high lamp mode for at least 20mins.
crosstalk is getting worser with lamp aging - but this should be equal to other projectors.
the problem with the jvc is the 120hz panel - well in fact it is 96hz for 3d blu-ray (48hz per eye), which is not good for people who are sensitive to flicker. a native 144hz panel (72hz per eye) or a solution like sony's sxrd with 240hz panels would be the better way.

if you got a very good deal - good. no brainer. otherwise I would have waited for the rs45/x30. i am still very satisfied with my rs40. the 3d performance is superb, almost crosstalk free. the only thing is: i am sensitive to the 48hz flicker and i really hope jvc will come out with new panels next year...

Thanks for that. Bit more confident now . A very good deal £2495 boxed new and 3 year warranty . Thats very good for a uk price ! Although we dont yet have a price for the x30 and we always pay more here than the US for anything electrical which is a pain !
post #7841 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

I usually wait until after the D-ILA boot-up image, before I turn on any of the source components. IE, turn on the projector first and wait for the blue screen and THEN start the HDMI handshake with the sources. I haven't had any problems doing it that way.

When I tried turning on the sources sooner, I was having the same D-ILA screen lockup you are describing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I use a Universal remote with macros and it uses the exact same start-up sequence every time.

You mean you use the exact same start-up sequence as mine above. Or you use the exact same start-up (different than mine), and sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.
post #7842 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Several of their firmware updates have fixed issues with HDMI handshake lockups. The latest firmware is better, but I don't think they fixed it 100% yet.

I thought it was 64bit vs 32bit that was the problem with their installer, not necessarily which version of Windows you have. I could be wrong though, been awhile since I looked into it.
post #7843 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can anyone list the updates to date or a link to where JVC has published what they have issued? The latest available is labeled 46.zip.

Jack
post #7844 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Can anyone list the updates to date or a link to where JVC has published what they have issued? The latest available is labeled 46.zip.

This is where I usually go.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/productupdate.jsp

The filename is different depending on if you go to the "Pro" site (RS40) or the "Consumer" site (X3), but it's the same firmware. The current version is 1.5.

"46.zip" is the current file on the Consumer site. No idea what the "46" means, but it's the same "version 1.5" that everyone else is talking about.

They don't give much information about what has been changed for each udpate, other than a brief (usually one sentence) description of the current update. I don't think they maintain a historical list of changes anywhere. At least, not that I've found.
post #7845 of 9990 Old 09-20-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is our current version listed in the Info section of the projector display? I don't have mine on right now and my memory fails me.

Jack
post #7846 of 9990 Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is our current version listed in the Info section of the projector display? I don't have mine on right now and my memory fails me.

As I recall you will find it within the service menu and only some of the listed firmware files are being updated.

Ron Jones
post #7847 of 9990 Old 09-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:

As Ron mentioned, it's in the service menu. Unfortunately, I don't think it's actually going to say something simple like "1.5". There are several different sub-parts of the firmware, and each has a big ugly number next to it. JVC certainly doesn't make their versioning system simple. It's probably something that makes complete sense to their engineers, but is overly confusing for regular humans.
post #7848 of 9990 Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 PM

my bulb has about 800 hours on it.
projector is hung from ceiling about 16 foot from screen.
110 inch carada bright white screen.

the other night when watching thor, and then the next night watching tv,
It seemed I was getting...Washed out brights? ...dont know how to describe it exactly, but the light colored scenes seemed washed out.

Also, seemed to be having real bad over color saturation.

I normally keep the color a little above 0, around 3 to 5 because I like a little color. I had to move it down into the negative 3 or 5 to get it to look somewhat normal.

Reset all the picture modes, and then it seemed really dark, even on full lamp. If i set it to full lamp, on the natural setting, and increased the contrast and brightness a little bit, and toned the color down a bit, it looked almost normal.

any suggestions about what may be going on?

any suggestions about a way to make my image brighter?
ie..
move the projector closer,
different screen maybe,

Thanks....
post #7849 of 9990 Old 09-22-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie1965 View Post

my bulb has about 800 hours on it.
projector is hung from ceiling about 16 foot from screen.
110 inch carada bright white screen.

the other night when watching thor, and then the next night watching tv,
It seemed I was getting...Washed out brights? ...dont know how to describe it exactly, but the light colored scenes seemed washed out.

Also, seemed to be having real bad over color saturation.

I normally keep the color a little above 0, around 3 to 5 because I like a little color. I had to move it down into the negative 3 or 5 to get it to look somewhat normal.

Reset all the picture modes, and then it seemed really dark, even on full lamp. If i set it to full lamp, on the natural setting, and increased the contrast and brightness a little bit, and toned the color down a bit, it looked almost normal.

any suggestions about a way to make my image brighter?
ie..
move the projector closer,
different screen maybe,

Thanks....

Sounds to me like your lamp may be failing. The same general symptoms presented with mine at about the same time. Look for an even sharper and more rapid decline in brightness and deterioration in the color accuracy. I ordered another lamp so it wouldn't pop on me like my first RS40's lamp did.

Joe Clark

post #7850 of 9990 Old 09-23-2011, 06:35 AM

so, what did you have to do when the bulb popped?
always wondered what would happen if you kept the bulb in to long.
were you able to clean and repair yourself?
any damage to your projector?
post #7851 of 9990 Old 09-23-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

so, what did you have to do when the bulb popped?
always wondered what would happen if you kept the bulb in to long.
were you able to clean and repair yourself?
any damage to your projector?

The first lamp popped at about 270 hours. That RS40 was already going back because of a serious misconvergence problem. At that point I boxed it up and put up my Panasonic 4000 until I got a replacement. That was the first time I'd seen the Panasonic since getting the 40. Despite the lamp problems, the quality difference was striking. The second RS40 has almost perfect convergence. Despite the problems, I love the projector.

Joe Clark

post #7852 of 9990 Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM

Shorty after my complaints of ghosting, my bulb popped. The new one finally showed up today (but I'm leaving to go camping in the rain so can't play this weekend). JVC was supposedly waiting on these lamps to come in so should be from one of recent batches, but is still a '5' series. My first lamp was neither a '5' or a '7' series (a '1' series?). There is a handwritten number on each of them, the new one also has a green dot next the to the number along with an extra rubber/plastic piece on the one wire going in. The number on the other side of the bulb ends in 002 on the new lamp instead of 001. Wish me luck with this one, think I'm going to watch every 3d bluray I have in the next couple of weeks on the new bulb. PS, original bulb was at around 400 hours, and has been in high lamp since day one. New bulb pics in next post.

Old lamp:
LL
LL
LL
post #7853 of 9990 Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM

New Lamp
LL
LL
LL
post #7854 of 9990 Old 09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

One problem with this projector that's still not fixed in firmware is the frame interpolation works okay the first time you enable it, but if you then power off and power back on with frame interpolation enabled, it screws up brightness and colors.

So check and verify frame interpolation (CMD) is off. You can use the frame interpolation on this projector, it just can't be enabled when you power it on to work correctly.
post #7855 of 9990 Old 09-24-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

One problem with this projector that's still not fixed in firmware is the frame interpolation works okay the first time you enable it, but if you then power off and power back on with frame interpolation enabled, it screws up brightness and colors.

So check and verify frame interpolation (CMD) is off. You can use the frame interpolation on this projector, it just can't be enabled when you power it on to work correctly.

This happened to me frequently when I first got the projector but I never needed to power off, I don't believe, I would turn CMD off which would fix the issue and then I could turn CMD on again without issue. This is going off memory so you could be correct.

For the gamers in the thread, is there any trick to get the 40 to play Gears of War 3 in 720p SBS? Naturally, if I set the 360 to 1080p the 3D works but I try and keep the 360 at 720p for better visuals (overall but including framerate). If it matters, I'm on day one firmware EDIT: after a couple hours struggling to get XP Mode installed on my win7 64 bit vm in Parallels on my Mac I've finally updated to 1.5
post #7856 of 9990 Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 AM

Hello, my reciever (onkyo 876) dosent support 3D but it can carry 3D SBS so it work with the satalite & Xbox ( didnt work with PS3).
My question is this: will be any 3D quality drop (sharpniss, ghosting,etc) if I watche it through the Onkyo and not directly to the projector??

Many thanks
post #7857 of 9990 Old 09-25-2011, 01:55 PM

Liked: 11
Has this ever happened to anyone? I was powering up my AVR ( Denon 3808) to play some background music and everytime I did, my RS40 powered up as well.( seperate remotes) I would turn off the RS40 and then powered up my Sony BDP and the RS40 powered up again, so then I just disconnected the HDMI from the AVR to keep it from happening again. I was going to place a Monoprice 1x2 splitter between the AVR and my Pioneer plasma and the RS40, but if the RS40 powers up everytime I use the AVR, this will obviously be a problem.
Any ideas out there????
post #7858 of 9990 Old 09-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Liked: 11
I am borrowing a friends Oppo BDP-83 to use with my RS40. Any experienced users of this combo have ideas on the best way to set up the video menu on the Oppo. Should I set the BDP to output 1080p or set it to Source Direct Mode, which will send the native data off the BD or DVD to the RS40. If I use the Source Direct Mode, will the RS40 be able to upconvert DVD's to 1080p and if so, as good as the Oppo???
Thanks, Jim
post #7859 of 9990 Old 09-25-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I upgraded jvc RS 40 to latest version. I found many times projector not responding unless physically disconnecting power.

I use Dune media player. Projector got this problem, when I stop blu-ray movie and try to select another movie. One time, I got problem when I turned off Dune to connect another hard drive.

Is there any setting that I can do in projector to avoid this kind of problem?

Appreciate any suggestions.
post #7860 of 9990 Old 09-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

I upgraded jvc RS 40 to latest version. I found many times projector not responding unless physically disconnecting power.

I use Dune media player. Projector got this problem, when I stop blu-ray movie and try to select another movie. One time, I got problem when I turned off Dune to connect another hard drive.

Is there any setting that I can do in projector to avoid this kind of problem?

Appreciate any suggestions.

I also run RS40 and a Dune (via Denon 4311ci). The locks up happen rarely for me, like maybe 3 times altogether over 300+ hours I have run the projector.

One thing I think can help is to reduce the number of HDMI handshakes. I set Dune to display menus in 1080p/24, since most of the watching I do is blu rays in 24p.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page