Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

You know, I've been lamenting for a while that the problem with buying better and better AV gear is it keeps revealing the crappier and crappier nature of a lot of sources...

Learning this the hard way wih some content on DishNetwork.... As the public starves for more HD content I fear the providers will keep compressing and compressing the signals and the algorithms will not keep up... The quality will suffer even more. I hope not.

GO HABS GO!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

Who is your sat/cable provider? I've reported that I'm not really impressed at DishNetwork. Can't blame the JVC RS40 though as Blu Ray and some OTA channels are breathtaking.... Some DishNetwork channels/shows are better than others....

Man I wish I had FIOS in my neighborhood but I don't. I'm seriously considenring switching to Direct TV. What I decided to do it to wait for more owners with Dish to see if there's something I'm not doing right or a consensus that their pic isn't all that it should be.

Dish Network. The only cable service I can get and I hate Dish, its terrible
post #813 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The wife and I went downstairs to watch Inception. We have been wanting to watch it for a week now but havent had time with everything going on. I go to sit down next to her and she says "Awe, this isnt in 3D is it?". Then I look over and see that she has the 3D glasses on. LMAO I think I created a monster.

BTW Inception was fantastic and we noticed how bright the image was. I think I am going to turn the aperture down at the next movie

Adam

My Theater build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #814 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 AM

Without making this thread a Dish vs Direct or X vs. Y, it would be nice for the owners to disclose their opinion on how the HD content looks and who their provider is. I always was oblivious to claims that DirectTv's HD was better than Dish. On a 50" 1080i plasma please... On a 128" RS-40 powered image it might be night and day I don't know yet... trying to find out though!

GO HABS GO!
post #815 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Without making this thread a Dish vs Direct or X vs. Y, it would be nice for the owners to disclose their opinion on how the HD content looks and who their provider is. I always was oblivious to claims that DirectTv's HD was better than Dish. On a 50" 1080i plasma please... On a 128" RS-40 powered image it might be night and day I don't know yet... trying to find out though!

I've had Dish and now have Direct. Direct is better but not night and day. No projector will be able to hide the issues with the source.
post #816 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

The wife and I went downstairs to watch Inception. We have been wanting to watch it for a week now but havent had time with everything going on. I go to sit down next to her and she says "Awe, this isnt in 3D is it?". Then I look over and see that she has the 3D glasses on. LMAO I think I created a monster.

BTW Inception was fantastic and we noticed how bright the image was. I think I am going to turn the aperture down at the next movie

Lol...Sounds like something my wife would do too....I'm waiting for my Sony VW90 to get here so I can try the 2D-3D conversion on this movie...Should be a fun experiment...
post #817 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

I've had Dish and now have Direct. Direct is better but not night and day. No projector will be able to hide the issues with the source.

Better might be good enough

GO HABS GO!
post #818 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:

Better might be good enough

Directv has more satellites and is able to show more content with less compression. Some channels are razor sharp on my system, and others look like poop. Source is everything...Some standard dvd's I have look damn near like a blu-ray, and others are so bad, I want to throw them away...
post #819 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
As far as I have heard Dish Network is still limiting HD resolution to 1080 x 1440 for their 1080i feeds while Directv, starting when they moved from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 for their HD channels, now provides full 1080 x 1920 resolution for their 1080i and 1080p feeds. Of course those are resolution numbers for static images and if they provide two much compression then fast motion in the video can lose resolution and generate other digital artifacts. Overall I would say that Directv is generally providing good quality for their HD feeds. However, neither satellite service, nor over-the-air broadcasts or cable TV providers can match the data rates used with most of the recent Blu-ray disc titles (using 50GB dual layer discs and H.264 or VC-1 compression at data rates of approx. 40 Mbps gives Blu-ray a big advantage in allowing for less compression of the video).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #820 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

You guys with the RS40, how do HDTV look for you guys? I know mines is right out of the box, but its not looking as good as I thought. My Marantz looks a lot better. That my be a good thing so I can save a little extra lamp life from watching sports but I was hoping for a big improve from my panny 3000, it looks the same as my panny.

If you have one of the high-end Marantz 1080p single DMD chip DLP projectors it will probably have a higher ANSI Contrast Ratio and zero convergence errors as compared to any LCOS projector. This can provide a little sharper looking image and some people really prefer the look of the better single chip DLP projectors as the image has a little more 'pop' and really does have a different look to it. However, once set up correctly the JVC projectors will provide much better dynamic contrast ratios with much better black levels and shadow details on dark scenes. Of course some people don't like single chip DLP projectors because are they are sensitive to seeing the much discussed "rainbow effect", but other don't have issues with it. Some people will refer as the JVC projectors as producing a "film look" while DLPs provide a "digital look". With good source material (e.g., movies on Blu-ray) and proper setup the RS40 should be a noticeable improvement over a Panasonic AE3000 however. Viewing live sports on channels such as ESPN or ABC (both using only 720p) may not show you the areas where the JVC will excel over the Panasonic.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #821 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My wife asked me a question about 3D that I thought I'd pass along. She is rather near sighted and wears contact lenses. The power of these lenses makes it hard for her to focus on close objects, so her doctor has given her a prescription that uses her dominant one eye for seeing things at a distance and the other eye for seeing closer things (if I remember correctly, one lens is +9 and the other is +5). The brain mixes the two images so that she can now see both close things and distant things. This means she will not be able to use either active or passive 3D glasses while wearing these contacts, right?
post #822 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone use the Comp-Cools from middle atlantic?

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/cooling/qcool.htm

I want to cool my Denon since I don't want to have a ton of empty rack space.

Adam

My Theater build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #823 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I'm just concerned that's some balancing act that's going to go on there - resting the RS feet on the tops of those domes - unless they sink in a bit to avoid slippage...

They usually either have a notch or in Toe's case, adhesive to attach to the under side of the PJ.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #824 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

My wife asked me a question about 3D that I thought I'd pass along. She is rather near sighted and wears contact lenses. The power of these lenses makes it hard for her to focus on close objects, so her doctor has given her a prescription that uses her dominant one eye for seeing things at a distance and the other eye for seeing closer things (if I remember correctly, one lens is +9 and the other is +5). The brain mixes the two images so that she can now see both close things and distant things. This means she will not be able to use either active or passive 3D glasses while wearing these contacts, right?

The science behind this is very complex and I don't pretend to even be close to an expert. In fact I may have totally misunderstood, but, here is my understanding and hopefully others will comment.

In the first few years of your life your brain learns the relative size and distance of objects and how to interprete a real 3D life image. This is why even with one eye, we wouldn't bang into things walking around unless we meet objects that are not common or objects and sizes we have not seen before.

For example, you have probably seen the trick with a table that is much smaller than a chair, but is positioned closer to the person than the chair so from the viewer position they look correct again. The brain is easily fooled.

So keeping in mind this "fooling" the brain. Another way of fooling the brain is actually what we are doing with 3D movies. With a 3D movie, your eyes only focus on the distance to the screen. Afterall, the image is only at that distance, and there isn't really any object closer or further away. Both eyes are focussed on that seat to screen distance from beginning to end of the movie. However, because both eyes see a different image, it forces the brain to "re-compute" what it is seeing, and it gets tricked into applying a 3D interpretation of the two 2D images.

Sometimes the brain tries to fight with itself on what it is seeing, because although your eyes are focussed on a distance say 10 feet away, the brain is trying to tell you the object is only 2 feet away. The fight is that your eyes sometimes then try and refocus on where you normally would with an object that distance away. This is what causes people to lose focus sometimes during 3D movies, and/or cause headaches or eye strain.

So, this is a very long winded way of saying, that if your wife can focus correctly on the screen with both eyes (cover each eye and make sure), then 3D movies should work just fine with the contacts in.

I apologise if I am wrong in my understanding here. I read a paper on this a long time ago, and it was written in gibberish. Hopefully someone else can validate what I am saying.
post #825 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

...i cannot cycle gamma modes on the remote in 3D from B(3D) to A(3D) without the PJ throwing a hissy fit and shutting off and flashing both Warning and Lamp light rapidly....

We've confirmed this. A fix will follow.

Quote:

Second, DirecTv HDDVR is not recognizing the RS40 or RS50 to be a compatible 3D display when it comes to 720p 3D and 1080p/24 3D programming. What gives?

I couldn't check this as we don't have DirecTV across the pond, but I've advised Japan.
post #826 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

I don't know, either, but...

Take her to a Best Buy and have her watch 3D through some shutter glasses. See how long it takes her to adjust, or if she even can. Some people report headaches initially while watching 3D, but they go away. I doubt it will hurt her to try. I contend that my eyes have gotten stronger watching 3D. They certainly haven't gotten weaker.

Joe Clark

post #827 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK View Post

I couldn't check this as we don't have DirecTV across the pond, but I've advised Japan.

Gary..don't forget the other ones

1) Top/Bottom 3D mode doesn't seem to activate on 1080i or 1080p signals. Someone reported it may work with 720p

2) When resetting a picture preset CMD gets set to mode 4 instead of off

3) Not 100% sure if this is a bug and may only be on RS50. High power lamp starts on its own when 3D signal is received on THX preset, but on presets such as Natural, Stage, it stays on low.
post #828 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree to take her to a demo place. I have an eye condition that makes me see double of items in each eye but it's more of a shadow and I think that the 3D makes it better. Maybe it makes my eyes work harder creating them to work better. I have no clue but was concerned about it until I tried a Sony demo in a store and it looked fantastic so I got the 3D.

Adam

My Theater build

post #829 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Gary..don't forget the other ones

1) Top/Bottom 3D mode doesn't seem to activate on 1080i or 1080p signals. Someone reported it may work with 720p

2) When resetting a picture preset CMD gets set to mode 4 instead of off

3) Not 100% sure if this is a bug and may only be on RS50. High power lamp starts on its own when 3D signal is received on THX preset, but on presets such as Natural, Stage, it stays on low.

The high lamp is to boost the 3D. You can actually change it in the settings but then you will be losing that extra brightness.

Adam

My Theater build

post #830 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I don't know, either, but...

Take her to a Best Buy and have her watch 3D through some shutter glasses. See how long it takes her to adjust, or if she even can. Some people report headaches initially while watching 3D, but they go away. I doubt it will hurt her to try. I contend that my eyes have gotten stronger watching 3D. They certainly haven't gotten weaker.

And various implementations matter - whether it was because of the ghosting or the refresh rate, I had moderate eye strain with the 90es. I began to worry that I was one of those people who would not be able to watch 3d...

With the RS50, I have no eyestrain or fatigue, and can watch a movie or more without having any bother, other than the universal desire not to have to wear glasses that make you look like you suffer from ocular degeneration...

post #831 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

The high lamp is to boost the 3D. You can actually change it in the settings but then you will be losing that extra brightness.

I think I wasn't clear. On THX preset on an RS50, as soon as the 3D image is received, the lamp automatically changes to high bulb mode on its own. But if you are on natural or stage, it stays on low bulb mode even when receiving a 3D image.

It isn't consistent. Either it should always ramp up the bulb, or always stick with whatever is set in the preset. Right now its confusing.
post #832 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:22 AM

Lol...I hope my new 3D projectors don't make me feel constipated...
post #833 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:

And various implementations matter - whether it was because of the ghosting or the refresh rate, I had moderate eye strain with the 90es. I began to worry that I was one of those people who would not be able to watch 3d...

With the RS50, I have no eyestrain or fatigue, and can watch a movie or more without having any bother, other than the universal desire not to have to wear glasses that make you look like you suffer from ocular degeneration...

You've probably said this already, but I can't recall. Do you notice any flicker with your RS50? I know it drives me nuts on the Panasonic plasma displays (can't watch for long before I have to close my eyes). On the Sony LCDs, I see it a little but it doesn't seem to bother me that much.

Joe Clark

post #834 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

As far as I have heard Dish Network is still limiting HD resolution to 1080 x 1440 for their 1080i feeds while Directv, starting when they moved from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 for their HD channels, now provides full 1080 x 1920 resolution for their 1080i and 1080p feeds. Of course those are resolution numbers for static images and if they provide two much compression then fast motion in the video can lose resolution and generate other digital artifacts. Overall I would say that Directv is generally providing good quality for their HD feeds. However, neither satellite service, nor over-the-air broadcasts or cable TV providers can match the data rates used with most of the recent Blu-ray disc titles (using 50GB dual layer discs and H.264 or VC-1 compression at data rates of approx. 40 Mbps gives Blu-ray a big advantage in allowing for less compression of the video).

Do you know which compression standard Directv uses for their current HD content? Last I heard it wasn't part 10 (h264), but was part 2...but that was a while ago.
post #835 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You've probably said this already, but I can't recall. Do you notice any flicker with your RS50? I know it drives me nuts on the Panasonic plasma displays (can't watch for long before I have to close my eyes). On the Sony LCDs, I see it a little but it doesn't seem to bother me that much.

I know you asked Thrang, but I can say I see no flicker on my X7/RS50 in 3D mode at all, whether at 96Hz for BD, or 120Hz for Satellite. I am sensitive to RBE. But as everyone is different, what I say should not be considered as gospel to your own expected experience.
post #836 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Flicker in 3D mode, or flicker regarding DFI/BFI?

Well, I'll answer for both!

No, I notice no flicker with the RS - ironically, with the higher refresh rate, I noticed some flicker with the 90es. Perhaps the higher refresh rate led to more critical timing issues and something is not perfected between the projector and the glasses...

For BFI, there is barely any flicker - in this regard, the JVC also performs a bit better than the Sony, where there was a subtle flicker in Film Projection Mode 1 - it's just that JVC needs to figure out how to get rid of the blue flashing when in either CMD mode 1 or 2...

post #837 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK View Post

Gary -

What about the "blue flashing" and red/green fringing when CMD modes 1 or 2 are enabled? Is this something that can be addressed via firmware, or is it intrinsic in the hardware?

Also, will it ever be possible to have BFI and FI operational together (which might help the flashing/fringing) as opposed to either/or?

Thanks

post #838 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 AM

Anybody else see "flickery" blue and red ghosts flying around their screen?...(okay, okay, I'll stop...)
post #839 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

The science behind this is very complex

So, this is a very long winded way of saying, that if your wife can focus correctly on the screen with both eyes (cover each eye and make sure), then 3D movies should work just fine with the contacts in.

I apologize if I am wrong in my understanding here. I read a paper on this a long time ago, and it was written in gibberish. Hopefully someone else can validate what I am saying.

Thanks for the description. The problem she has is that one eye will be fairly blurry. The suggestion to take her to Best Buy is a good one. She always wanders off to the book store when I start looking at TVs. Thanks!

And, obviously you read gibberish much better than I do... I can only speak it.
post #840 of 10010 Old 12-14-2010, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Anybody else see "flickery" blue and red ghosts flying around their screen?...(okay, okay, I'll stop...)

Yeah, an unfortunate pimple on an otherwise pretty face (with CMD 1 or 2, 3 or 4 or off).

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page