Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 281 - AVS Forum
First ... 279  280  281 282  283  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread
Toe's Avatar Toe 09:35 AM 12-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Exactly. My RS40 had little to no 3D crosstalk at first. I'm now at just over 400 hours, and the 3D is unwatchable.

This is on the RS45? How long have you had this projector? Do you just leave it running 24/7?

The 138 hours was for the RS40. That is the impression I got at least. Hope he can varify this.

Edit: He confirms this in the post right above yours Josh.

beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 09:54 AM 12-01-2011
alright so ive been in talks with JVC about this first gen lamp thing. They are doing a pretty bad job so far at keeping me happy. They have suggested since I have until march on the bulb warranty that I just burn it in high lamp mode and hope it goes out in time. well, just last night, in high lamp mode, it is still too dim to even enjoy anymore. I even shrunk the image to about a 90" window and it is still TERRIBLE. Ive tried calling the pro line phone number and it just sounds like an answering machine for some guy working in a garage apt or something. He hasnt answered in three days and ive left messages as well.

The only other suggestion from the consumer line guy was to send the whole projector in for testing and they would address the situation. I simply told him that was rediculous to send the whole thing, especially when the bad first run of bulbs thing is CERTAINLY documented, but he wouldnt fold whatsoever. It was either send in the whole thing, or wait for it to blow, and hopefully blow in time for the warranty to still be intact. What crap...
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 10:09 AM 12-01-2011
you called the #800 here?

JVC Factory Service
2201 E. Dominguez St.
Long Beach, CA 90810
Telephone: 800-252-5722

this should be the pro support phone #. Ask to speak with a manager as soon as you get them on the phone. they should replace your lamp with no questions asked.
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 10:32 AM 12-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

you called the #800 here?

JVC Factory Service
2201 E. Dominguez St.
Long Beach, CA 90810
Telephone: 800-252-5722

this should be the pro support phone #. Ask to speak with a manager as soon as you get them on the phone. they should replace your lamp with no questions asked.

i was doing 18005825825 option 8 to get to the pro division its on their website.that number above say its the consumer support line.
Shagg's Avatar Shagg 12:00 PM 12-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post

For all the user's who has the projector (Lock up) issue, Please could someone tell me how did u reslove thise issue ? , i mean did u get help from jvc or your dealer? did u have to send the projector for a repair or do u just get it exchange for a new one? off course assuming the projector is still under warranty, mine is only 3 month old. at first it was locking up like once every forth time but now it,s happening alot. and the only way to turn it off is by unplagging the power cable, by the way do u think doing so will lead the lamp to an early death?. i have the latest firmware V1.5 installed. thanks in advance

The way I deal with the lockup issue is by being careful in how I turn on the components, and in what order. That seems to prevent most of the problem, assuming your issue is related to the hdmi handshake.
Tom Monahan's Avatar Tom Monahan 01:12 PM 12-01-2011
Quote:

Exactly. My RS40 had little to no 3D crosstalk at first. I'm now at just over 400 hours, and the 3D is unwatchable.

This is on the RS45? How long have you had this projector? Do you just leave it running 24/7?

Your post has COVINCED me to cancel my rs45 pre-order. If you only have 400 hours and 3D is unwatchable, JVC will have to prove to me that this doesnt happen with the 45. My Pioneer fpj1 is at 1400 hours and still going strong. I would rather pay more than the pre-order price down the line if the 45's are just as good with ghosting at 500+ hours as they are at 50 hours. I would LOVE to have 3D in my setup now but I'm going to wait and let those with more cash than me take the risk. I really kick myself for replacing my 2D blu-rays with the 3D versions before reading about this ghosting issue with the JVC's. If I could do it over again, I would have kept them and not purchased the 3D BD's so far ahead of time. I would much rather watch a movie in 2D with the excellent contrast than 3D on a ghost free DLP FP with lesser contrast.

Tom
Josh Z's Avatar Josh Z 01:23 PM 12-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

My Pioneer fpj1 is at 1400 hours and still going strong.

Keep in mind that the projector's 2D performance is still perfectly fine. It's only 3D that's an issue.
Tom Monahan's Avatar Tom Monahan 02:20 PM 12-01-2011
Quote:

Keep in mind that the projector's 2D performance is still perfectly fine. It's only 3D that's an issue.

However, 90% of my reason for upgrading projectors is for 3D.

Tom
sukumar's Avatar sukumar 02:19 PM 12-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

The way I deal with the lockup issue is by being careful in how I turn on the components, and in what order. That seems to prevent most of the problem, assuming your issue is related to the hdmi handshake.

Could you please share what order you turn on the equipment. I usually got lockup while operating my media player.

When I just start playing movie,, I see too many changes on the screen from blue to no screen to movie etc. It is for FBI warning, advertisements etc. I think it is changing to 1080p 24 or 60 etc. At this time, screen lockup happens. I realized to not to press forward controls etc too fast which may have caused problem to me. Recently, I did not see any lockups.
Nick Satullo's Avatar Nick Satullo 07:52 AM 12-03-2011
I have a very low hours RS-40. There is an issue that sometimes occurs with my BD-Changer, wherein I lose the video signal when selecting a disc (not during playback). It is certainly an HDMI issue, as I switch out of the BD input on my prcessor, switch back, and there I see my BD picture again.

In any event, last night this happened again. Everything is controlled by a Crestron system, but it appeared that the projector had gone off, although the lens cover was open. In an effort to get things back to snuff, I took the power cord out of the projector and attempted to reset it. I have not been successful in getting it to power back on.

On the front of the unit, the middle light is blinking. That usually means I need to reset the unit, but I'm hoping that some quick troubleshooting from guys here can set me straight.

Thanks,

Nick
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 08:47 AM 12-04-2011
For those of you that responded to my bulb dimming issue, a significant turn took place last night when I went to turn on the projector, the bulb never came on and the two red lights stayed lit and the orange was blinking. Does this mean the bulb finally popped? How easy is it to take the bulb out and inspect?

Im assuming it is blown due to the drastic performance drop, but double checking would be a goo thing to do so when/if jvc gets back to me with my request, I will have a good answer for them.
ravenous's Avatar ravenous 09:38 AM 12-04-2011
I just removed the bulb from my brandnew RS45 (X30).

Guess what ? It's a new batch ending with -003

But i put in my brandnew -002 batch sparebulb and brighness readings where the same.

So it's not the bulb making the new X-series brighter than last years. The add. weight must be there for some reason when Lenscover and laquer where removed.

I suspect the X30s power supply to be improved as well as the lightpath.
Ranger's Avatar Ranger 09:53 AM 12-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenous View Post

If you want to buy a new one,I would go for the 45.

Motion handling improved from every series to another. Between the 40 and the 45 there is no difference in motion handling but the 45 has other benefits in regards of brightness and 3d features.

Imho the Cmd is the same but I will try to verify this on Saturday

ravenous, anymore news on the CMD ?
Geof's Avatar Geof 09:56 AM 12-04-2011
Quote:

But i put in my brandnew -002 batch sparebulb and brighness readings where the same.

So it's not the bulb making the new X-series brighter than last years. The add. weight must be there for some reason when Lenscover and laquer where removed.

Just to be clear, are you saying the number on the lamp itself reads QLL0194-003? If so this is a new lamp number that we've not seen before.
ravenous's Avatar ravenous 09:59 AM 12-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by geof View Post

just to be clear, are you saying the number on the lamp itself reads qll0194-003?

yes !
ravenous's Avatar ravenous 10:01 AM 12-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post

ravenous, anymore news on the CMD ?

Highly subjective i may find it a bit better. The opening sequence of "UP!" when the house pans over the city and the field seems less blocky. But it's one year ago i've seen the movie, so i may be wrong.

I will have to check more discs to be sure.
Joseph Clark's Avatar Joseph Clark 10:06 AM 12-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

For those of you that responded to my bulb dimming issue, a significant turn took place last night when I went to turn on the projector, the bulb never came on and the two red lights stayed lit and the orange was blinking. Does this mean the bulb finally popped? How easy is it to take the bulb out and inspect?

Im assuming it is blown due to the drastic performance drop, but double checking would be a goo thing to do so when/if jvc gets back to me with my request, I will have a good answer for them.

Sounds like a dead lamp to me, but if you didn't hear a pop it probably didn't explode. It's easy to remove the lamp housing. I've done it a couple of times. Just refer to your manual.
marco1975's Avatar marco1975 11:14 AM 12-04-2011
Quote:

It,s still all the same projector with pretty the same spec. as the x3, but with a couple of new feature and alittle bit of tweaking here and there, so there shoudn,t be much of difference in regard to the picture qaulity
nut4gadgets's Avatar nut4gadgets 11:23 AM 12-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Yes, your bulb is dead; the same thing happended to me around the 800 hour mark.
ravenous's Avatar ravenous 11:41 AM 12-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post

It,s still all the same projector with pretty the same spec. as the x3, but with a couple of new feature and alittle bit of tweaking here and there, so there shoudn,t be much of difference in regard to the picture qaulity

Do you own a X30 ?

I have had both the X3 and the X30 side by side and i can tell you there is a difference which is clearly visible and makes the X30s picture more vivid. Both where calibrated using the same equipment in the same room.

I was in contact to other X30 owners over the past 3 days and all of them reported these observations.

So as long as you havn't seen a X30 stop questioning whats reported.
nohjy's Avatar nohjy 12:24 PM 12-04-2011
Quote:

Do you own a X30 ?

I have had both the X3 and the X30 side by side and i can tell you there is a difference which is clearly visible and makes the X30s picture more vivid. Both where calibrated using the same equipment in the same room.

I was in contact to other X30 owners over the past 3 days and all of them reported these observations.

With all due respect, you mentioned earlier in this thread that the major PQ differences were that the x30 was brighter and seem to have added contrast. You also stated that your old x3 was sharper. Furthermore, you said you no longer have the x3. Where is the revelation coming from? Now the x30 has the clearly better picture... I believe the picture is probably slightly better. I also believe no one would be able to tell the difference in a properly conducted a/b test.
xb1032's Avatar xb1032 12:35 PM 12-04-2011
Quote:

Do you own a X30 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

With all due respect, you mentioned earlier in this thread that the major PQ differences were that the x30 was brighter and seem to have added contrast. You also stated that your old x3 was sharper. Furthermore, you said you no longer have the x3. Where is the revelation coming from? Now the x30 has the clearly better picture... I believe the picture is probably slightly better. I also believe no one would be able to tell the difference in a properly conducted a/b test.

I'm going by memory but I thought there were early reports that JVC made some changes to make noticeable improvements in brightness in best modes. I was thinking there was some mention of a light path change as well but I'm not positive on that one.

Regardless give ravenous a break . All posts here an on avforums so far have mentioned noticeable improvements in contrast for bothe the RS45 & RS55. JVC's specs for the last years models were too high so maybe JVC didn't make any changes to this years models because maybe this years models fall more in line with the marketing specs.

In any event, others will be getting their projectors soon so more opinions will be out there.
Geof's Avatar Geof 12:40 PM 12-04-2011
Quote:

I also believe no one would be able to tell the difference in a properly conducted a/b test.

Are you making this conclusion based on supposition or have you seen both?
ravenous's Avatar ravenous 01:04 PM 12-04-2011
Quote:

How funny how you try to wiggle my words. The first impressions where with the X30 being uncalibrated vs. a calibrated X3. And even uncalibrated the X30 was ahead.

Now that i have done greyscale and gamma calibration the difference is even bigger.

I have stored my calibrations both of the X3 and the X30 and the measurements support my subjective impressions. There is a large increase in brightness with the X30.

And yes the X3 was a tad sharper but that is something i can accept because its not that much and falls in the spread i have seen with a lot of RS20 and RS25 series units.

Go and get yourself a X30 and you would be suprised.
zombie10k's Avatar zombie10k 01:16 PM 12-04-2011
ravenous - a second ago, the post just said a 50% increase.. can you clarify what you were referring to?

also, when you stated the RS45 was brighter in 3D than the HW30, was this measured through the glasses with both projectors side by side?

thanks
ravenous's Avatar ravenous 01:28 PM 12-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

ravenous - a second ago, the post just said a 50% increase.. can you clarify what you were referring to?

also, when you stated the RS45 was brighter in 3D than the HW30, was this measured through the glasses with both projectors side by side?

thanks

aprox 50% in high lamp mode, measurements are on my other computer and i can not tell the exact amount in low mode. So i changed it to "large" because this may also vary from one X3 to another also in relation to screendistance. One unit i know was below 600Lumens in High, while another was above 900.

Exact % are allways taken with care because often others are getting different results depending on the individual X3 and X30 they compare. If it was only 10% i wouln't mention it, but for me a 50% increase is large.

The Sony vs. JVC conclusion is my subjective impression from a presentation which took place yesterday at a dealer nearby.
marco1975's Avatar marco1975 04:01 PM 12-04-2011
Quote:

Do you own a X30 ?

it was only 3 days ago that we attend to the demonstration of the x30 at the jvc dealer, and nither i or many of the other who were there , was realy so imprest by the differences so that they felt it would be worth the upgrade. small differnces here and there yes, but not the way u describing it.
so yes i have seen it in action, but it seems some of us has golden eyes
rs691919's Avatar rs691919 07:54 PM 12-04-2011
I am designing a home theater currently, and I'm very interested in the DLA-X3...I would like a 120" screen for the theater. The guy at the store said that the X3 would not be bright enough to fill the screen, so I should upgrade to the X7...any thoughts? The Home Theater Magazine reviewer actually used a 120" screen for his review, which was glowing -- so I was thinking that the X3 would be suitable (and half the cost).
plissken99's Avatar plissken99 08:14 PM 12-04-2011
The sales guy is full of it. The X3 is more than bright enough for a 120" matte white screen. I use mine with a 147in high power screen, it will make you squint in some scenes.

Matte will work, but I can't recommend hi power enough, gloriously bright.
rs691919's Avatar rs691919 08:27 PM 12-04-2011
OK thanks...that's pretty much what I thought. This is my first foray into front projector, so I don't want to make a major goof (but also dont want to blow a huge portion of my budget on one component).
First ... 279  280  281 282  283  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop