Forum Jump: 

post #8611 of 10005 Old 02-02-2012, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

In addition to above, I was wondering -- how do you make the lens cover close when the lamp is dead... When I turned it on to discover it doesnt work, lens cover opened, but I haven't been able to figure out how to close it... Any ideas?

Look at page 14 of your manual. You will see " Manual operation button of the lens cover"

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8612 of 10005 Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM

400H lumens update:

Code:
hours | lumens | loss
000     907      0%
031     882      3%
055     888      3%
107     858      6%
152     863      5%
214     913      0%
330     806      11%
400     752      17%
Still looks very good to the un-calibrated eyeball. Hard to tell that it's lost anything over time. I have bumped the lens aperture up a couple notches though, just to compensate for the loss that the meter is showing.

I just got a second bulb to keep as a spare. I'll probably swap it in and use it until the warranty period is over. Not sure after that if I'll leave the new one in and keep the original as my spare, or the other way around.
post #8613 of 10005 Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun View Post

Look at page 14 of your manual. You will see " Manual operation button of the lens cover"

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I can't easily get to it the way my projector is positioned but it's good to know there's a way. I'm going to probably cover it like someone else suggested.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #8614 of 10005 Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM

Thank you to everyone who has discussed the problems with premature lamp failure.

This week at about 850 hours exclusively on normal/low power my lamp failed. Lamp failure was preceded by about 5 hours of significantly dimmer output.

I contacted JVC this morning. They had me send a copy of my sales receipt, serial number, and a photo of the failed lamp. They have a no-charge replacement order placed...now just need to get it cleared from backorder and shipped. I guess more folks than just me have had these lamps fail recently

Thank you to JVC for standing by your product!
post #8615 of 10005 Old 02-03-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post

Thank you to everyone who has discussed the problems with premature lamp failure.

This week at about 850 hours exclusively on normal/low power my lamp failed. Lamp failure was preceded by about 5 hours of significantly dimmer output.

I contacted JVC this morning. They had me send a copy of my sales receipt, serial number, and a photo of the failed lamp. They have a no-charge replacement order placed...now just need to get it cleared from backorder and shipped. I guess more folks than just me have had these lamps fail recently

Thank you to JVC for standing by your product!

I did the same earlier in the week... looks like we're both waiting for them to get them back in stock. They will be 2-day shipping it once they get it, so that's good news I'm glad JVC is owning up to the lamps...When I had the RS1, the two lamps I used were brighter at approx 1000 hours than my RS40's at 500. I was almost considering getting a different brand projector.

post #8616 of 10005 Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Too bad JVC doesn't do what the auto manufacturers do. Recall the bulbs and maybe the projectors and they would be king of the industry instead of being flamed by the owners. I do not believe that this problem is not universal among the RS40/X3 base. Having been a custom installer in my distant past I can tell you if I had these kind of consistent problems with my customers projectors I would have dropped JVC from my choice of projectors for resale by now.

Jack
post #8617 of 10005 Old 02-04-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Too bad JVC doesn't do what the auto manufacturers do. Recall the bulbs and maybe the projectors and they would be king of the industry instead of being flamed by the owners. I do not believe that this problem is not universal among the RS40/X3 base. Having been a custom installer in my distant past I can tell you if I had these kind of consistent problems with my customers projectors I would have dropped JVC from my choice of projectors for resale by now.

Typically recalls are done because of safety -- at least as far as auto industry, food, and toys...

I do agree though that JVC should have been more pro-active about it because sometimes people won't complain -- they'll just deal with it and buy a new lamp. Then when it comes time to buy something new, they'll go elsewhere.

post #8618 of 10005 Old 02-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't know if anyone is still interested, but I know a bunch of us were lamenting the 3d performance of the RS-40 with 50/60p signals, and I have a fairly expensive fix. If you are using your computer and have a lumagen, you can view your SBS/TB source from your computer at 24 Hz and the lumagen will convert that to a 1080p24 frame packed signal out to the projector (hit menu-0-3-1; menu-0-3-0 will set it back to a 2D stream). While not very helpful for those with 3D cable or directTV it is useful for those with 3D home movies that they've recorded onto their computers. Hope someone else finds this useful.
post #8619 of 10005 Old 02-06-2012, 07:16 AM

Liked: 12
It's been about a year that I have my RS40 and over the first 10 months I had about 2-3 lockups most probably due to HDMI handshake problems. However lately (maybe 4-5 times in two months) I am getting lockups just out of nowhere. My chain is RS40, Yamaha RS-A2000 & Oppo BDP-93. If I watch a movie and plan to use the projector again later in the day I just leave everything on an what happens to me now is that the Oppo screensaver is on when I leave the room and when I come back a couple hours later the screen is just black, projector locked up and no way to get it going again. I really don't like to pull the plug but it's the only thing I can do at that point. Anyone else is experiencing lockups like this that don't seem to be related to HDMI handshakes or any particular action?
post #8620 of 10005 Old 02-06-2012, 07:43 AM

WOW, lots of good things mentioned on this thread. I just purchased the RS-45 and while watching the superbowl major blurring/focus was encountered, anything with any movement was unacceptable! The clear motion feature ,mode 1,2,3,4,incline and off was tried with no luck in curing the issue. I have a 50ft HDMI (22ga.) from monoprice and monoprice HDMI 3d splitter hooked from the Dishnet DVR to projector. The replaced panny 900 did not have these issues? The picture on this thing is awesome, the blurring during motion is not acceptable- i checked all of the default settings, made sure it was in 2D, all the settings were correct per the manual. Any help in trying to determine the problem would be greatly appreciated, the projector is worth trying to resloving this issue......
post #8621 of 10005 Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post

It's been about a year that I have my RS40 and over the first 10 months I had about 2-3 lockups most probably due to HDMI handshake problems. However lately (maybe 4-5 times in two months) I am getting lockups just out of nowhere. My chain is RS40, Yamaha RS-A2000 & Oppo BDP-93. If I watch a movie and plan to use the projector again later in the day I just leave everything on an what happens to me now is that the Oppo screensaver is on when I leave the room and when I come back a couple hours later the screen is just black, projector locked up and no way to get it going again. I really don't like to pull the plug but it's the only thing I can do at that point. Anyone else is experiencing lockups like this that don't seem to be related to HDMI handshakes or any particular action?

I have experienced random lock-ups with my unit since my X3 was about a month old. The initial lock-ups seemed to be HDMI related and happened only during boot-up (froze on the D-ILA screen). I sent it away to JVC Canada who couldn't replicate the problem; they simply replaced the bulb. The unit is now back with me doing some really strange things. With the brand new bulb, it now has a rare (but annoying) habit of flickering before locking randomly in the middle of a movie.
post #8622 of 10005 Old 02-09-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone try a Z-screen (polarization modulater) in front of an rs40 for passive 3D?
post #8623 of 10005 Old 02-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As I understand it, the output is already polarized one way. If that is the case, I'm not sure that anything that changes the polarization to provide 3D images would work.
post #8624 of 10005 Old 02-11-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

Maybe this doesn't apply in your case, but I had the exact same problem with a BenQ two years ago. It turned out it was an AC unit in the room blowing air in front of the screen... I'm just saying - check all heaters and AC units that may be blowing air anywhere near the light path before you return the PJ.

This topic is probably closed - but to anyone else having the swirly smoke effect and is looking for what could be the cause - this was it for me. The heat coming from the vent was causing the weird affect.

I never paid attention to the vent. Closed it - swirls went away. It's an interesting problem to have and I was hoping I wouldn't have to return the Optoma HD20 I just purchased.

Thank you!
post #8625 of 10005 Old 02-14-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgar View Post

My 40 got to be too dim for most viewing a little before 400 hrs. It went completely out around 450 hrs! Have less than 100 hours on lamp #2 right now. Have only watched 2d on the 2nd lamp.
My fingers are still crossed.
Tony

Well the finger crossing doesn't seem to be working,
At less than 200 hrs my 2nd lamp has dramatically dimmed just as the first one did at 400 hours, before it died at 450. This is very discouraging! I wish I had my HD1 back. It is probably still on the same bulb.
I have written to JVC to tell of this current lamp issue. Not sure what they will do, but it is obvious that the have a problem with this PJ model.
HAs anyone mentioned "class action" on this thread before. This is not at all acceptable. We have paid good money for a defective product.
Jvc did send me a new lamp after the first failed. But thats a band-aid. It does not fix the problem. How long will the 3rd lamp last? If ther is a pattern here, I would say 100 hours or so. Sucks

Tony
post #8626 of 10005 Old 02-14-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have mentioned that JVC should have came out and said this is a issue and that they should replace the projector.

some people have been lucky to get a refund. Me not so much. I am a year and 2 months into it second bulb around 100 hours and they also replaced the engine for me.
post #8627 of 10005 Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 AM

They should do something. They should fix, it or replace it. I would love my money back. but I would be happy with the pj if it just worked and got close to the hours that their literature claimed it should get. 3000 hours! yet I wonder how many lamps it would take to get that?

When I put the new lamp in, it was great, even brighter than I needed. but less than 200 hrs. later its almost unwatchable, and probable soon to be dead again. 2 lamps 600 hrs. it would take 10 lamps to get 3000!
post #8628 of 10005 Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just watched A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas in 3D. Most shots were perfect, razor sharp, others had a fair amount of crosstalk(the opening titles being a good example, and a bit where Harold imagines himself as an Asian gang member). I mentioned this in the movies thread itself, and others did not experience any crosstalk(so they claim). So is it the source material, or the fault of the projector?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #8629 of 10005 Old 02-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Remember, cross talk is produce when both eyes are seeing the left and right images out of order. This cannot be produced from the source material. It has to do with the projector and glasses being in snyc and also obviously the player. I could take a cross talk problem with X movie and play it on A, B, C system and not experience it on any of them. So, check batteries for glasses, make sure the emitter is clearly reflecting of the screen, etc. All of these problems are simple fixes to get the best 3D active shutter experience.

Skyrun Cinema Build-Speakers done and positioned. 7/2 THTLP done. Fabric Frames going on now.

post #8630 of 10005 Old 02-14-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well I just pulled up a scene, I tried out different glasses which hardly get used with the same result. Tried jiggling the emitter, even taking it and holding it next to my head, the image didn't change. Perfect shot to see what I'm talking about in Harold and Kumar is the opening production company logo with the little drummer girl, her red shoulder straps.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #8631 of 10005 Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

Well I just pulled up a scene, I tried out different glasses which hardly get used with the same result. Tried jiggling the emitter, even taking it and holding it next to my head, the image didn't change. Perfect shot to see what I'm talking about in Harold and Kumar is the opening production company logo with the little drummer girl, her red shoulder straps.

How many hours are on your lamp? The JVC's crosstalk gets worse as the lamp ages. I have less than 100 hours on my current lamp, and watched the same movie without noticing any serious crosstalk issues (a few here and there). If I check it again in 300 hours, I'm sure I'll get a different result.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8632 of 10005 Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone else have an issue where the unit stops responding to the remote once it has warmed up? Both my RS40's are now doing this and it can't be a coincidence, so I'm guessing others must have seen something similar?.
post #8633 of 10005 Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

Anyone else have an issue where the unit stops responding to the remote once it has warmed up? Both my RS40's are now doing this and it can't be a coincidence, so I'm guessing others must have seen something similar?.

Does it respond to input directly on the unit or is it completely locked up?
post #8634 of 10005 Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohotos View Post

Does it respond to input directly on the unit or is it completely locked up?

It has only locked up completely on 2 or 3 occasions.

But 100% of the time that you run it more than 5 minutes, it stops listening to the remote. The manual buttons at the back will still function.
post #8635 of 10005 Old 02-16-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine has locked up on me completely 4-5 times since I bought it. At that point it will not respond to any commands, not from the buttons on the unit itself or the remote, but I have never had it just fail to respond to the remote and still operate normally from the buttons on the projector itself.

When it totally locks I am forced to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to operate again.
post #8636 of 10005 Old 02-16-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzun View Post

Mine has locked up on me completely 4-5 times since I bought it. At that point it will not respond to any commands, not from the buttons on the unit itself or the remote, but I have never had it just fail to respond to the remote and still operate normally from the buttons on the projector itself.

When it totally locks I am forced to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to operate again.

This has been my experience too; when it locks-up, the unit will not accept any commands from either the remote or hard-wired buttons.
post #8637 of 10005 Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzun View Post

Mine has locked up on me completely 4-5 times since I bought it. At that point it will not respond to any commands,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckcracker View Post

This has been my experience too; when it locks-up, the unit will not accept any commands from either the remote or hard-wired buttons.

The PJ has a CPU. What your experiencing is the equivalent of a PC's "Blue Screen Of Death" (...but w/no "screen". ) , one that also jams up the Control Keys.

Only a hard reboot can restore the "system".

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #8638 of 10005 Old 02-16-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 143
1 pixel off.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #8639 of 10005 Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

But 100% of the time that you run it more than 5 minutes, it stops listening to the remote. The manual buttons at the back will still function.

Are you watching 3D content, or does it do this for 2D as well?

Just wondering if it's the emitter flooding the room with IR for the 3D glasses that is drowning out your remote commands.
post #8640 of 10005 Old 02-17-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

Are you watching 3D content, or does it do this for 2D as well?

Just wondering if it's the emitter flooding the room with IR for the 3D glasses that is drowning out your remote commands.

That was my first thought as well. JVC's 3D emitter blocks the IR frequencies for my Blu-ray player. I need to put a pillow over the emitter to use my BD player's remote to hit Play, Pause, navigate menus, etc.

However, I have used JVC's own remote to pull up the projector's menu and calibrate while in 3D mode. So the emitter shouldn't be blocking that remote.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page