Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 292 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8731 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Jack- thanks for posting. From Ron Jone's recent discussion with JVC, I'm under the impression we might see another variation soon.

i'd like to see them change the policy from days to hours. IMO, this makes more sense and would give more confidence to the lamp warranty. I use my RS55 as a secondary projector and will only have at most ~100 hours in 90 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8732 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Jack- thanks for posting. From Ron Jone's recent discussion with JVC, I'm under the impression we might see another variation soon.

i'd like to see them change the policy from days to hours. IMO, this makes more sense and would give more confidence to the lamp warranty. I use my RS55 as a secondary projector and will only have at most ~100 hours in 90 days.

I believe that it's clear from a lot of the postings lately that JVC has finally figured out that they have a serious problem with these new projectors and that they had better address the matter. IMHO there is only one or two actions that they can take that will fix the issue; Recall all of the projectors for a demonstrable engineered fix that will give the bulbs at least 2,000 hours in eco mode or replace the bulbs at no cost for an extended period of time of at least five years.

Without this fix I could never recommend this projector to anyone. There are too many similarly performing beamers that don't have a problem as significant as this. Having to spend close to $500/year on a new bulb is not what I signed up for. Those who use it more are looking at $1,000/yr. It doesn't make sense for JVC to continue with this exposure.

It will take us at least six more months of reports on this and the use thread before we find out if the -003 bulb modification has solved the problem. We can only hope.

Jack
post #8733 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

More questions that no one knows the definitive answer to:

There are two main questions that we don't really know the answer to.

Do the bulbs produce less heat as they age?
Does heat have anything to do with the increased ghosting of an aged bulb?

I'm not sure we'll ever get that information from JVC. However, when people start talking about intentionally overheating their PJ in order to "solve" the ghosting problem, it makes me really nervous.
post #8734 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

WOW...from the sound of the posting over the last 2 days.....no thanks to buying one of these.

Don't read too much into it. We're getting pretty nit picky here, and as Geof said a lot of this recent discussion is just being geeky about science that doesn't have much to do with the quality of the projector.

I think we'd all agree though that the picture quality is breathtaking. Bulb life is the only real issue with these projectors, but ALL projectors have issues with bulb life to some extent.
post #8735 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:

i'd like to see them change the policy from days to hours. IMO, this makes more sense and would give more confidence to the lamp warranty.

I agree it makes more sense regarding wear and tear on the lamp, but the problem is how do you measure it. The bulb itself doesn't track hours. The only thing that gives you an indication is the meter in the PJ, which can be arbitrarily reset by the customer.

Unless they put a chip in the bulb to measure the hours, then basing a warranty period off of something that the customer can reset would probably not make it past the lawyers.
post #8736 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 01:58 PM

Anyone made it past 500hrs on a revised bulb yet?
post #8737 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

I agree it makes more sense regarding wear and tear on the lamp, but the problem is how do you measure it. The bulb itself doesn't track hours. The only thing that gives you an indication is the meter in the PJ, which can be arbitrarily reset by the customer.

Unless they put a chip in the bulb to measure the hours, then basing a warranty period off of something that the customer can reset would probably not make it past the lawyers.

Well maybe JVC looks at the bulb sent back and knows which ones are the cheap, low quality lamps and will replace those without question since they know that they messed up. Now if there is indeed a newer, more reliable bulb made, then that really should take care of itself as most people will be happily enjoying their projectors.

I feel that with this whole debacle that JVC should (and thus far is) replacing faulty lamps without much of a fight.
post #8738 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read the AVS Sales post in the RS40 sales sticky. The fact that AVS is sticking it's neck out to support customers who purchase the B-Stock pj's is comforting. I was thinking that if AVS wasn't confident with JVC's words and actions, they wouldn't really want to sell those B-Stock RS40's.
post #8739 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought there is a running hour counter that can't be reset? otherwise, what would stop people from clearing the counter and selling a used projector as 'new'.

At least extend it to 180+ days.
post #8740 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Don't read too much into it. We're getting pretty nit picky here, and as Geof said a lot of this recent discussion is just being geeky about science that doesn't have much to do with the quality of the projector.

I think we'd all agree though that the picture quality is breathtaking. Bulb life is the only real issue with these projectors, but ALL projectors have issues with bulb life to some extent.

No harm....but all of the spec.'s in the world mean nothing when the bulb is blown. I was really looking forward to pulling the trigger on one. don't care about 3D.

tony4k
post #8741 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

While the inflated specs mean nothing, the true native contrast ratios never lie. I've seen dlp's, lcd's, lcos, and crt. The numbers in the specs sheet will inflate the contrast ratios for dlp's and lcd's. The JVC lcos is actually a real number that can be obtained with accurate color.

Generally dlp's in this price range will have a native contrast ratio of 2-4000:1. Lcd's actually have passed dlp's and can reach as high as 6000:1. Lcos under most viewing conditions are around 15-20,000:1, but if you have either a small screen or one with gain, the advertised 50:000:1 is real.

The adaptive irises can help a lot but there are many forum members that have also seen all of the display technologies and are hooked on the JVC's. I think natural yet dynamic is a great way to describe the JVC's. Just ask the former CRT users!

Of course, there is the whole ansi contrast/bright scene contrast to consider that will complicate the comparisons. That's a number that doesn't lie either. Dlp's are best, followed by lcd, then lcos last.

So long story short: To most the JVC is a significant upgrade from the Panasonic. I'm sure many have gone from a Panasonic to the JVC but I'm sure very few have gone from the JVC to the Panasonic.
post #8742 of 9990 Old 03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Indeed I've never seen an image come close to matching the RS40. Really this bulb thing isn't so bad, I'm waiting on my current replacement, which is the third bulb(counting the original), and it hasn't cost me a dime thus far. Course it shouldn't, as between the two bulbs I've had thus far, I've yet to reach 2000 hours(740 on the 1st, and 520 on the last one).

As long as JVC keeps replacing them, I'm content. I have a secondary Epson 8100 projector with a 40k:1 dynamic contrast ratio, which I use exclusively for video games, TV shows(with a few exceptions), and some comedies. Movies and stuff that mostly takes place in the dark is unbearable on it lol.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #8743 of 9990 Old 03-09-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:

I thought there is a running hour counter that can't be reset?

I'm not aware of one in either the standard menu or the service menu, at least not that I've been able to find. The only counter I know of is the one that the customer can reset whenever they want.

Maybe there's something hidden that only JVC can get to?
post #8744 of 9990 Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quick question. I know this model lacks lens memory, but does it have motorized focus/zoom? I did a quick Google and didn't see definitive answer. I'm just thinking of whether you could use a motorized zoom to do a scope screen. Thanks in advance.

post #8745 of 9990 Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

setting 3D aside.....would the rs40 be a upgrade over the panasonic ae4000?

Last year, I decided to use part of my tax refund on a new projector, upgrading from a Panasonic AE1000. We use AE4000's at my work so I borrowed one to evaluate, and also purchased an RS40 to evaluate. I had 2 options: Get the AE4000 with the refund, or get the RS40 and pay the difference.

I got the RS40 - the blacks are better even at minimum iris on the AE4000, and the 2D picture is leaps and bounds better than the AE4000, IMO.
post #8746 of 9990 Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Last year, I decided to use part of my tax refund on a new projector, upgrading from a Panasonic AE1000. We use AE4000's at my work so I borrowed one to evaluate, and also purchased an RS40 to evaluate. I had 2 options: Get the AE4000 with the refund, or get the RS40 and pay the difference.

I got the RS40 - the blacks are better even at minimum iris on the AE4000, and the 2D picture is leaps and bounds better than the AE4000, IMO.

Do you have a scope screen, and if so, how do you handle CIH? I like the auto AR of the panny, but if I had to click a button I will.......MAN I wish didn't sell my isco 3L lens....crap.

tony4k
post #8747 of 9990 Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you have a scope screen, and if so, how do you handle CIH? I like the auto AR of the panny, but if I had to click a button I will.......MAN I wish didn't sell my isco 3L lens....crap.

I do not have a scope screen - I have a home built screen and when watching scope movies, I mask off the top/bottom black bars with home built velvet masks that attach to the main screen mask.

One thing you might want to know - in my setup where the projector sits right at the top of the screen in terms of height, if I zoom the picture bigger, I need to also adjust the lens position and the focus. So you'd likely have to do all 3 of those adjustments every time to switch from one to another.
post #8748 of 9990 Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post

Quick question. I know this model lacks lens memory, but does it have motorized focus/zoom? I did a quick Google and didn't see definitive answer. I'm just thinking of whether you could use a motorized zoom to do a scope screen. Thanks in advance.

The RS40 has motorized focus, zoom and lens shift.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #8749 of 9990 Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

I do not have a scope screen - I have a home built screen and when watching scope movies, I mask off the top/bottom black bars with home built velvet masks that attach to the main screen mask.

One thing you might want to know - in my setup where the projector sits right at the top of the screen in terms of height, if I zoom the picture bigger, I need to also adjust the lens position and the focus. So you'd likely have to do all 3 of those adjustments every time to switch from one to another.

+1, it's a pain.
post #8750 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 03:22 AM

My X3 died tonight. I'm hoping someone might be able to help with what's going on with it. I think the lamp has blown as the image was getting very dim prior to it giving up. It's only 7 months old and the lamp had between 4 and 500 hours on it so I'm pretty disappointed. I'm in Australia so I'm not sure if JVC will offer a replacement bulb or not.

The symptoms are (apart from the obvious no light):
1. The motorised lens cover is stuck in the open position and will not retract or show any signs of life.
2. The lamp indicator light flashes orange continuously and the indicator lights that are either side of the lamp indicator are both continuously lit red.
3. The unit cannot be turned to standby using either the remote or the standby button on the back.
4. If I disconnect the power and repower after a few minutes, the standby light is red and then goes green on power up but as soon as a signal is sent to the unit the sypmtoms in item 2 above return. If no signal is sent, the unit still cannot be returned to standby.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds like normal dead lamp symptoms or is something else going on? Also is there anyone out there in Australia that has had their lamp replaced by JVC after the 90 day warranty period has expired?
post #8751 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 05:28 AM

Hi everyone,

Got my projector this week, and am having some issues:

1. It always looks like the projector needs to be rotated a few degrees, as if the picture is not leveled and even. Like, I can get the left side perfect, but the right side droops a little lower. I'm assuming I just need to adjust the feet at the bottom. Is this normal?

2. Just got a DVD0 Duo, and Chromapure. I'm totally lost how to use this thing.

I can get autocalibration started and running, but once the tests are done, does it save the calibrated settings to the DVD0?

Also, where should my i1display be positioned when taking the readings?

All I want to do is get this sucker calibrated for watching 2D blu rays. That's it!

Any information would be helpful to me. Thank you.
post #8752 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanexel711 View Post

Hi everyone,

Got my projector this week, and am having some issues:

1. It always looks like the projector needs to be rotated a few degrees, as if the picture is not leveled and even. Like, I can get the left side perfect, but the right side droops a little lower. I'm assuming I just need to adjust the feet at the bottom. Is this normal?

2. Just got a DVD0 Duo, and Chromapure. I'm totally lost how to use this thing.

I can get autocalibration started and running, but once the tests are done, does it save the calibrated settings to the DVD0?

Also, where should my i1display be positioned when taking the readings?

All I want to do is get this sucker calibrated for watching 2D blu rays. That's it!

Any information would be helpful to me. Thank you.

For question 1 above: you need to use a level to make certain the projector is absolutely level both left-to-right and front-to-back. Also the projector must be "squared up" with the screen. By that I mean the front and rear surfaces of the projector cabinet must be parallel to the screen. The problem you are having is typical when you have not properly leveled and squared up the projector. Only after you have done the above then turn on the projector and use vertical and horizontal lens shift and zoom to center the image on the screen and to set the image size to fill the screen. Do not move the projector in an to attempt to center the image

As for getting started with calibrating your projector: a good starting point is to read the calbiration for dummies guide - HERE. Its somewhat dated and doesn't specifically cover the ChromaPure software but it has a lot of excellent information on calibration. Also see the thread I started a year ago on calibration of the RS40/X3 projectors - HERE.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #8753 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'm considering a B stock refurb from AV Science, but this thread is making me hesitate. I realize people with issues are far more likely to report them and that often skews the owners threads with reports of problems.

Are there people out there with high bulb counts and no issues?

I'd be going from an Epson 8100, so this would be a big jump for me, but at least the 8100 works. I don't want to jump to something that has chronic issues.
post #8754 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

I'm considering a B stock refurb from AV Science, but this thread is making me hesitate. I realize people with issues are far more likely to report them and that often skews the owners threads with reports of problems.

Are there people out there with high bulb counts and no issues?

I'd be going from an Epson 8100, so this would be a big jump for me, but at least the 8100 works. I don't want to jump to something that has chronic issues.

I was in the same boat and just ordered a bstock yesterday. I called avs and they told me that jvc has gone through 3 bulb changes, the refurbs are shipping with the latest bulbs which really havnt had a long enough time to be tested yet, but they are jvc is claiming its fixed. Also, they've as much as admitted the bulb problem by now and aren't hitting people with the 90 day bulb warranty anymore, it's hour based and they are extending it quite a bit. They didn't give me a specific number but indicated its more of a case thing, people with 500-700 hours have gotten free replaces.
All in all they made it sound like jvc is standing behind it. But call em and ask some questions. I called 2 times with lists of questions before ordering.
post #8755 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
They didn't give me a specific number but indicated its more of a case thing, people with 500-700 hours have gotten free replaces

Meaning an issue with the case or on a case by case basis?
post #8756 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

These may be the safest rs40's to buy. It's nice to know that jvc is taking responsiblity for the bulb issues.

Man if the picture wasn't so great most would have probably jumped ship by now. By as it is, it's pretty much a one of a kind product.
post #8757 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

These may be the safest rs40's to buy. It's nice to know that jvc is taking responsiblity for the bulb issues.

Man if the picture wasn't so great most would have probably jumped ship by now. By as it is, it's pretty much a one of a kind product.

Here here..I couldn't have said it better!
I would be one of them jumping ship. But I'm not going to kid myself as to think I can find a better 2D image. This is the only show in town for my needs at the moment. So I'll be holding on to mine till something better comes along.
post #8758 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Yah, they might have a patent on some of the design aspect that gives them such high native on/off, still I'd love to see a mild dynamic IRIS added just to increase those blacks a bit more. In 3D mode because of the dimming effect, the blacks truly do look like black ink.

Even the $25,000 Sony is only like 20,000:1 native on/off I think, but it is brighter.

I can honestly say overall you cannot beat the JVC image, this B-stock deal is a killer deal and it is the best deal ever had by AVS IMO.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #8759 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Whats this bstock deal AVS has going on? PM me if specific amounts are involved.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #8760 of 9990 Old 03-10-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

Whats this bstock deal AVS has going on? PM me if specific amounts are involved.

they list the price right in the thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1397127
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page