Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8971 of 10005 Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm starting to think high altitude mode might be the answer for those of us with 02 bulbs who wish to get normal life expectancy. I don't accumulate large amounts of hours on my projector so I'll probably stick with normal settings. I love how quiet this machine is. What a bummer I didn't get an 03 with my B-stock. I feel like they are gambling with these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8972 of 10005 Old 03-29-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Mine was a 003, so no guarantees there. Hoping the newer up to date 003 will perform better.
post #8973 of 10005 Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM

Liked: 10
I've been running mine in High Altitude mode on normal lamp setting since I got it. Only have a few hours on it, but thought it couldn't hurt any. There is more noise for sure, but I plan to move the projector back another few inches and that may change what I can hear. It is feeding through a hole in the wall, so even though it will only move a few inches, it will recess it from the plane of the wall and this may or may not impact the sound levels of the higher speed fan.

AaronS
post #8974 of 10005 Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have to say I'm impressed with how JVC is handling the bulb issues. Last Saturday my bulb exploded. It seems to have followed the general sequence that others have been reporting, a very fast decent from a usable level of light on Thursday to a noticibly poor level on Friday and then a big POP on Saturday. I called JVC on Monday and they just asked me how many hours were on the lamp, since I could no longer turn it on to find out I just gave him a guess. He asked for my purchase invoice and a picture of the front and back of the bulb and told me they "could probably help me". I sent the info in by email and they have shipped me a new bulb today. I have RS40 serial number 003 so you can believe me when I say that I got it very early in Dec of 2010 and they are still willing to send me a new lamp with no hassle.

That is excellent customer service in my book!

I'll let you folks know if I get the new 003 with the flap next week.
post #8975 of 10005 Old 03-31-2012, 08:17 AM

As a new owner of a B stock that is good to hear.
post #8976 of 10005 Old 04-01-2012, 08:37 PM

Hi there,

Just got my RS40 and got the 3D emitter + glasses to try out 3D viewing.

Anybody have recommendations for a 3D capable bluray DVD player that pairs well with this projector?

Not particularly interested in something that is loaded to the gilt with features.I have a 1080 Apple TV that will do a lot of the Internet stuff for me.

Just need something that

A. Will work in a rackmount config
B. Is solid at basic BluRay DVD playback
C. Preferably be remote controllable from an iOS app
D. Will work when piped through a Denon 3312 Receiver

Thanks!
post #8977 of 10005 Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thought Id chime in on my thoughts now that I've had the PJ a while.

Got in on the B-stock deal and have 70 hours on the bulb already apparently lol. (it came fresh thats all me somehow).

Picture quality on 100inch diagonal is beautiful. Easily the best of any other T.V I had and probably pretty close to that of my brothers samsung LED. It really is stunning, and it also shows very fast the quality of the blu ray or source you use. Also exceedingly sharp, much more so than I expected from the D-ILA.
Im shooting on a DIY screen (Elektra from Home theater shack), around an n7.5 gray. PJ in low lamp with iris all the way down.

I know JVC generally measures with more latency but so far gaming has been butter smooth. No input lag detected, and this from someone who played world of warcraft compeitively in a top 100 world guild (for non geeks that means I should be able to find input lag pretty quick as a hardcore gamer lol).

So far my only calibration is the basics off the avs cd to get brightness and contrast right. No equipment to go further than that. Convergence seems to be within 1/4 pixel.

As for the weakness. I expected better blacks. It does get pretty good, and I dont quite do it justice as its currently in a 11x11 white satin paint room lol. So bright scenes lose darkest detail, but overall its been fine. What concerns me is I was under the impression blacks didnt get any better than JVC, and when I flip all the lights off and put the PJ in "hide screen" mode, where it is just shooting a pure black image, I can notice quickly its not black. Even in pitch blackness with all lights out if I fire up the PJ theres enought light shooting that I can put my hand in front of the lense and see the hand shadow. The parts my hand covers blends right to black with my black velvet frame, but othersise the black image is still easily noticeable elsewhere on screen.

So the way I see it either

a.) I have a unit thats not meeting the awesome black level standards everyone raves about (maybe I was expecting to much)?

or b.) im happy i forked extra for the JVC because all the other options I looked at surely would have been a dissapointment in the black level regard.

Im being fairly critical, as Im sure if I get into a blacked out room the blacks would be only rivaled and beaten by the likes of great plasma and LED T.V's, but I was kinda hoping that in a pitch black room on a pitch black image it would be well, like a blackbox lol. Realistically with proper light control and the effects of perceived contrast in the short moments movie scenes go to black and back it would surely look like a blackout before I could adjust.
post #8978 of 10005 Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

It's not the all black screen that counts.Where the JVCs excel is when you have bright areas on that black/dark scene . After all, who watches an all black screen? The only display I have in my place that can match the JVC is a plasma. The other displays (LCD TVs) can't come close in dynamic range.
post #8979 of 10005 Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 30
An all black screen on the RS40 is way darker than than my dlp rptv. I was actually pretty surprised with how dark it got.
post #8980 of 10005 Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 AM

Hey all, anyone looking for and extra lamp ,,I have one complete. The first $210.00 gets it..it's a complete lamp and cage?..I have one extra if someone needs a spare lamp setup. Pm me.
post #8981 of 10005 Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

It's not the all black screen that counts.Where the JVCs excel is when you have bright areas on that black/dark scene . After all, who watches an all black screen? The only display I have in my place that can match the JVC is a plasma. The other displays (LCD TVs) can't come close in dynamic range.

I watched Search for Spock over the weekend. Stars and space ships against black space are awesome with this pj. If you're a sci-fi fan JVC is the only way to go.
post #8982 of 10005 Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronS View Post

I'm using a Sony BDP-S550 as a source on this projector. I've read in some of the calibration threads that many Sony Blu-ray players mess up gamma badly. Would this be contributing to my issues?

I am also using a Sony BDP-S550 as my source with the RS40. Interested in comments too. Thx.
post #8983 of 10005 Old 04-02-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazten View Post

As for the weakness. I expected better blacks. It does get pretty good, and I dont quite do it justice as its currently in a 11x11 white satin paint room lol. So bright scenes lose darkest detail, but overall its been fine. What concerns me is I was under the impression blacks didnt get any better than JVC, and when I flip all the lights off and put the PJ in "hide screen" mode, where it is just shooting a pure black image, I can notice quickly its not black. Even in pitch blackness with all lights out if I fire up the PJ theres enought light shooting that I can put my hand in front of the lense and see the hand shadow. The parts my hand covers blends right to black with my black velvet frame, but othersise the black image is still easily noticeable elsewhere on screen.

Even with an all-black image, the projector is still shining light onto your screen, and the screen is still reflecting that light back. What you're looking for here is not a reasonable expectation.

Besides, as someone else mentioned, few movie scenes have a completely black image. What you should be looking for here is the contrast between bright parts of the image and dark parts. JVC is better than any other brand at that.

For example, take a sci-fi movie set in space. You've got the blackness of space with stars in the distance and a spaceship in the foreground. Most projectors have to either raise the black level to keep the bright parts of the image bright (thus leaving you with milky gray space) or darken the whole picture to keep the blacks blacks (thus leaving you with a dim spaceship and no visible stars). On the other hand, JVC will keep the brights bright and the darks dark.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8984 of 10005 Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I recommend Hubble 3d on this pj. There are no other pj's that can do those space scenes quite like it.
post #8985 of 10005 Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 PM

After a week+ of using my B-stock with no issues, tonight we were watching a recorded show on DirecTV PVR and when it was finished and I exited back to live tv, the picture wouldn't come back up. I assumed this was one of those hdmi handshake issues I've heard about. I did some various troubleshooting, shut things off/back on, unplugged av receiver (Onkyo 709) and then tried just powering the projector off with the remote...two standby button presses. No luck. I got up on the ladder and tried the hard button power off with no luck there either.

My only option was to unplug the projector to shut it off. Not a great thing to do I know. Luckily we hadn't been watching long and the troubleshooting had gone on awhile with no projected image so hopefully the bulb wasn't too hot.

Anyway, has anyone else had this happen or have any idea what might be going on. I'm not going to try turning it back on again until tomorrow until I learn more. I'll probably call JVC to get their take on it as well.
post #8986 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post

After a week+ of using my B-stock with no issues, tonight we were watching a recorded show on DirecTV PVR and when it was finished and I exited back to live tv, the picture wouldn't come back up. I assumed this was one of those hdmi handshake issues I've heard about. I did some various troubleshooting, shut things off/back on, unplugged av receiver (Onkyo 709) and then tried just powering the projector off with the remote...two standby button presses. No luck. I got up on the ladder and tried the hard button power off with no luck there either.

My only option was to unplug the projector to shut it off. Not a great thing to do I know. Luckily we hadn't been watching long and the troubleshooting had gone on awhile with no projected image so hopefully the bulb wasn't too hot.

Anyway, has anyone else had this happen or have any idea what might be going on. I'm not going to try turning it back on again until tomorrow until I learn more. I'll probably call JVC to get their take on it as well.

Some of us in the RS45 thread had the same issue. My problem turned out to be a bad processor board. JVC replaced it under warranty. I'm waiting on replacement lamp now. It should be here today. Hopefully it will fire up tonight.
post #8987 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:

Greetings,

This is a known issue that has affected others as well. I don't believe it to be associated with Joesyah's bad processor board. I experienced it intermittently when I had the RS50. It is related to the HDMI handshake which under certain conditions causes the projector to become locked into an unresponsive state that can only be remedied by unplugging.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #8988 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Since updating my RS40's firmware to v1.5, I have not (yet) experienced any more lock-up issues. On the original firmware, that happened to me on several occasions.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/productupdate.jsp

Josh Z

post #8989 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

I just got a shipping notification on my bulb! Very happy I don't have to wait until April 16th as they originally predicted. Can't wait to see if the new bulb lasts longer, will try high altitude mode as well!

I swear I'm psychically linked with JVC. Shortly after I placed the order, I had a feeling I should call for an update, good thing I did as they had some confusion about my address and were about to cancel it! And just last night I was thinking I should call for an update...

Well even after a cancelled order over JVC having address confusion, and a second one placed, they still screwed up the address!!! It was going to be delivered today, but ups had to reschedule because they got the street address wrong. All this and I have to go out of town for two weeks on Thursday, so I only get one lousy evening with my beloved projector!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #8990 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

This is a known issue that has affected others as well. I don't believe it to be associated with Joesyah's bad processor board. I experienced it intermittently when I had the RS50. It is related to the HDMI handshake which under certain conditions causes the projector to become locked into an unresponsive state that can only be remedied by unplugging.

Regards,

Thanks Joseyah, Ralph and Josh. I'll plug it back in and check the firmware I'm on and do an update if needed. Hopefully that will do it. I'll provide a status once back up and running.
post #8991 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazten View Post

So the way I see it either

a.) I have a unit thats not meeting the awesome black level standards everyone raves about (maybe I was expecting to much)?

or b.) im happy i forked extra for the JVC because all the other options I looked at surely would have been a dissapointment in the black level regard.

Im being fairly critical, as Im sure if I get into a blacked out room the blacks would be only rivaled and beaten by the likes of great plasma and LED T.V's, but I was kinda hoping that in a pitch black room on a pitch black image it would be well, like a blackbox lol. Realistically with proper light control and the effects of perceived contrast in the short moments movie scenes go to black and back it would surely look like a blackout before I could adjust.

I had very dark red walls and dark brown carpet with an off-white/flat ceiling prior to getting my RS40 (had an Epson 6100). I painted the ceiling flat black a few weeks ago and while I didn't get the opportunity to see the difference with the Epson - I can tell a huge difference in the amount of light scatter in the room now however so I'm certain it would've helped my Epson as well.

The RS40 has better blacks than my previous Epson by a pretty large margin. The only other TV I have in the house to compare it with is an older Sony SXRD - and the RS40 beats its blacks as well.

I would think if you want better blacks you'll need to either paint your room darker, invest in a high-contrast screen to help combat some of that light that's most certainly washing out your picture, or buy a Kuro unfortunately!
post #8992 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChambers View Post

I had very dark red walls and dark brown carpet with an off-white/flat ceiling prior to getting my RS40 (had an Epson 6100). I painted the ceiling flat black a few weeks ago and while I didn't get the opportunity to see the difference with the Epson - I can tell a huge difference in the amount of light scatter in the room now however so I'm certain it would've helped my Epson as well.

I did something similar. Had a white ceiling, but decided to put up black velvet instead of painting it. Makes a huge difference!
post #8993 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Since updating my RS40's firmware to v1.5, I have not (yet) experienced any more lock-up issues. On the original firmware, that happened to me on several occasions.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/productupdate.jsp

Greetings,

Josh, I installed FW version 1.5 on my RS50. Unfortunately it had no affect as I experienced several lockups afterward. Hopefully it will resolve Scott's problem.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #8994 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 AM

after 461 hours on my second lamp I decided to buy light meter and measure the lumens using the center screen method on the white background in the service menu. Since this is my first projector, I really appreciate your input whether the below results is acceptable or not:
- animation preset
- contrast 8
- brightnes -5 (hdmi enhanced)
-color\ int 0
-color space wide1
- color temp 8000
-aperture 0
-calibrated using WOW disk
- screen is 114" with 1.3 gain (Da-Lite) with through distance of about 135"
-Lux 187/Lumens 670 in normal mode
post #8995 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

I installed FW version 1.5 on my RS50. Unfortunately it had no affect as I experienced several lockups afterward.

Well, that's depressing.

Josh Z

post #8996 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 PM

I just spoke to JVC this afternoon, and I can't remember the guys name, but he now states that JVC doesn't have a lamp issue, only a few projectors had issues. He stated that they have only received a few emails and phone calls about dimming bulbs, or exploding lamps. I asked him if he was new at JVC and he said no,5 years employed in the service department. I told him to check the AV forums, that the issue runs from the USA to the UK. And then I asked him why was JVC sending out replacement lamps with the steel flappers and the bulb number is at 003? His exact answer was ....I have no idea...?ok what's going on at JVC this week?
post #8997 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well ups delivered the bulb in spite of themselves! It does indeed have the metal flapper, it's running now in high altitude mode. Here's hoping to break the 1k barrier!

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #8998 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediclarry View Post

I just spoke to JVC this afternoon, and I can't remember the guys name, but he now states that JVC doesn't have a lamp issue, only a few projectors had issues. He stated that they have only received a few emails and phone calls about dimming bulbs, or exploding lamps. I asked him if he was new at JVC and he said no,5 years employed in the service department. I told him to check the AV forums, that the issue runs from the USA to the UK. And then I asked him why was JVC sending out replacement lamps with the steel flappers and the bulb number is at 003? His exact answer was ....I have no idea...?ok what's going on at JVC this week?

LMAO..yeah that's funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

Well ups delivered the bulb in spite of themselves! It does indeed have the metal flapper, it's running now in high altitude mode. Here's hoping to break the 1k barrier!

Here's hoping the same! That flap from what I can tell it is a ramp when the lamp is installed(turned on its side). It channels the air into the tunnel, cutting the volume of air by half that can enter the chamber of the lamp. This should increase the force of cool air entering the lamp chamber. This is just my guess or hypothesis.

post #8999 of 10005 Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:

I had this same problem with my b stock but after someone suggested changing the HDMI color space from auto to the same as my source I haven't had a single lock up of any kind. Try this before bothering with anything more complicated.
post #9000 of 10005 Old 04-04-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shape81 View Post

I had this same problem with my b stock but after someone suggested changing the HDMI color space from auto to the same as my source I haven't had a single lock up of any kind. Try this before bothering with anything more complicated.

I didn't do anything yesterday other than plug it back in and make sure everything came back up fine. It did.

I'll definitely start with this first as the projector is tucked into the trey ceiling and not super easy to get in/out.

My only inputs currently are a Sony BluRay player and a DirecTV box - with both passing through an Onkyo 709. How do you determine the correct HDMI color space? I see in the manual and menu that it's either YCbCR (4:4:4) or YCbCr (4:2:2). A quick internet scan leads me to believe 4:2:2 would be correct. If it is just this one, would it tend to be fixed at all times or could it change based on source content?

Thanks for all the input guys.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page