Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 303 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #9061 of 10307 Old 04-19-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4158 Post(s)
Liked: 3515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagg View Post

Are you sure they didn't say high altitude mode, not high lamp mode?

yep, they said no replacement since the bulb technically still "works" I dont have enough time to deal with it right now during work hours so ill do what they said and hopefully it blows sooner rather than later, then ill get back with them about replacement. What a load.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 10307 Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

Either is unacceptable...Unless he is at high altitude. You shouldn't have to switch to high lamp mode around 500 hours....nor should you have to use high altitude mode and deal with a louder fan.

I would call back and demand a new bulb. They have been working with most people, so maybe you just need to play customer service roulette. Like the previous poster said, don't take no for an answer.....especially when they know this is an issue now. I'll bet you can get a replacement with a little persistance.

They were pretty good about it the first time, Im sure with a little pressure they will do right this time as well...

post #9063 of 10307 Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

yep, they said no replacement since the bulb technically still "works" I dont have enough time to deal with it right now during work hours so ill do what they said and hopefully it blows sooner rather than later, then ill get back with them about replacement. What a load.

Mine technically still worked, though it was way too dim to watch. It took a while to get the right person at JVC but they sent me a new one without problem, didn't even have to send back the old lamp.

post #9064 of 10307 Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM

very good to know remember their name? haha

post #9065 of 10307 Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM

I dont think I had to send my first one back either. I suffer from CRS

post #9066 of 10307 Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:

They were pretty good about it the first time, Im sure with a little pressure they will do right this time as well...

I would just argue that it's too dim to watch and you don't want to risk the bulb bursting, as it might damage something, you could injure yourself on the broken glass, or that the bulbs are toxic when they burst....The latter should be reason enough.

I really hope we see better results with the 003 bulbs w/ the "flapper." I really love the image the RS40 throws. Good thing I haven't sold my old PJ yet.
post #9067 of 10307 Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:

I would just argue that it's too dim to watch and you don't want to risk the bulb bursting, as it might damage something, you could injure yourself on the broken glass, or that the bulbs are toxic when they burst....The latter should be reason enough.

I really hope we see better results with the 003 bulbs w/ the "flapper." I really love the image the RS40 throws. Good thing I haven't sold my old PJ yet.

same here, but assuming the 002 version has seemingly taken a step BACK from the 001 version, at least for me, Im losing hope already.

post #9068 of 10307 Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

same here, but assuming the 002 version has seemingly taken a step BACK from the 001 version, at least for me, Im losing hope already.

Having read this entire thread, I don't think the 002 is worse that the 001...probably a case by case variance/luck of the draw. It does not seem that the 002 are significantly better...if at all. That is based on what people have posted here, which is not a scientific sample. However, if JVC is already changing versions and modifying the design I am going to go out on a limb and believe that there was still something wrong with the prior versions. Seems logical.
post #9069 of 10307 Old 04-19-2012, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:

Maybe they have...but we haven't seen pictures or heard of one yet, so who knows. Plus where are the retro-fit kits they mentioned?

that's not going to happen.. it was bad info. None of the current lamps will be updated with the flapper.
post #9070 of 10307 Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

that's not going to happen.. it was bad info. None of the current lamps will be updated with the flapper.

Yeah, I figured as much. It would not make sense to do that anyway.
post #9071 of 10307 Old 04-20-2012, 06:20 AM

so I checked my lamp hours last night, between the first bulb and second, which I forgot to reset the lamp hours counter, 1435 hours. What that basically means is the second bulb lasted 335 hours or so. That is pathetic. I tried playing some MW3 last night and it was so terrible I quit. I had iris open, brightness at +7 and high lamp mode and couldnt bear it still.

post #9072 of 10307 Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

so I checked my lamp hours last night, between the first bulb and second, which I forgot to reset the lamp hours counter, 1435 hours. What that basically means is the second bulb lasted 335 hours or so. That is pathetic. I tried playing some MW3 last night and it was so terrible I quit. I had iris open, brightness at +7 and high lamp mode and couldnt bear it still.

Get them to replace the bulb. Even if you're going to sell it, better to sell it with a new bulb.
post #9073 of 10307 Old 04-20-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Get them to replace the bulb. Even if you're going to sell it, better to sell it with a new bulb.

That's like 100%. Im waiting to hear back from JVC right now, hope it is sooner rather than later, because until I get this resolved, I will be using the little 20" sammy above my stereo rack to just listen to music until I can get this all fixed.

post #9074 of 10307 Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Yeah, that's a load. Sounds like you got a relatively clueless customer service person. I'd call back and talk to someone else. I haven't heard of JVC requiring the bulb to completely fail before they'll replace it.
post #9075 of 10307 Old 04-20-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Sorry, should have removed that part from the quoted paragraph. You're right, someone already said JVC wasn't going to issue "flappers" to customers. I was more interested in the part that said JVC had installed "flappers" in 002 bulbs.
post #9076 of 10307 Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that's a load. Sounds like you got a relatively clueless customer service person. I'd call back and talk to someone else. I haven't heard of JVC requiring the bulb to completely fail before they'll replace it.

Got a very nice guy on the phone after not hearing from another via email. Turns out my last bulb was only sent to me last december!!! Wow! Made it a full 3 months and some change! Regardless, they are sending a me a replacement, so thats great news. They did say they are on a slight backorder (about 10 days) so I guess there are a whole lot more issues than just mine out there who woulda known!

post #9077 of 10307 Old 04-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:

Sorry, should have removed that part from the quoted paragraph. You're right, someone already said JVC wasn't going to issue "flappers" to customers. I was more interested in the part that said JVC had installed "flappers" in 002 bulbs.

I wasn't referring to your post in particular, a few weeks ago someone claimed they heard a JVC rep stating that retro-kits would be sent out. I asked a JVC field engineer who replaced my RS50 lamp last year and he said there are no plans for upgrading current lamps and that failures would be evaluated on a 1 by 1 basis.
post #9078 of 10307 Old 04-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
All these changes to bulbs, I wonder if there will be a lot of old bulbs on the market for sale still. That would totally suck buying a new bulb a year down the road and finding out it's the old design. I'm hoping JVC recalled the old bulbs from suppliers!

Joe.T
post #9079 of 10307 Old 04-21-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

All these changes to bulbs, I wonder if there will be a lot of old bulbs on the market for sale still. That would totally suck buying a new bulb a year down the road and finding out it's the old design. I'm hoping JVC recalled the old bulbs from suppliers!

I dont think this is the case, but shoot, ill still buy some of the 001 0r 002 models if I can get them for like 50 bucks! haha Considering the longevity, that is about their worth

post #9080 of 10307 Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

Considering they're usually on backorder, I doubt there is a lot of old stock in the hands of suppliers. Sounds like it's generally the other way around... suppliers are typically out of them and waiting on new deliveries.
post #9081 of 10307 Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Well I've joined the RS40 B-Stock club and received my projector on Friday. Has the 002 lamp installed with about 4 hours on the clock when I powered it up.

Very impressed with the picture quality, even with just using a white wall in my soon to be theater room. Have a few screen samples which makes things a bit interesting.

Hopefully my lamp doesn't blow too soon..

Be thankful JVC has stated there is a problem with the lamps and is working to find a solution. I am confident they will figure it out.
post #9082 of 10307 Old 04-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Just FYI, JVC is replacing my second bulb after a year with it and only 378 hours. I will say they seem to be standing behind the projector. That said, a total of 520 hours on two bulbs is really terrible. They need to provide free bulbs to 2,000 shours.

I did have to argue with the technician when he said the best he could was offer me a new lamp at a discounted rate. He tried to tell me there is no known issue with the bulbs. I then said, "yeah that's the reason you have gone through 3 different designs - the latest having an entirely new piece to enhance air flow." After saying that and reminding him that the specs suggest 2,000 hours on a bulb, he offered to send me a new one if I could send him a picture of the projector displaying the current # of hours. I did so and a new lamp is on its way. Kudos to JVC.
post #9083 of 10307 Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post

Just FYI, JVC is replacing my second bulb after a year with it and only 378 hours. I will say they seem to be standing behind the projector. That said, a total of 520 hours on two bulbs is really terrible. They need to provide free bulbs to 2,000 shours.

I did have to argue with the technician when he said the best he could was offer me a new lamp at a discounted rate. He tried to tell me there is no known issue with the bulbs. I then said, "yeah that's the reason you have gone through 3 different designs - the latest having an entirely new piece to enhance air flow." After saying that and reminding him that the specs suggest 2,000 hours on a bulb, he offered to send me a new one if I could send him a picture of the projector displaying the current # of hours. I did so and a new lamp is on its way. Kudos to JVC.

I'm glad to see them standing behind the product. The Rep I talked to told me the same thing. I just laughed at him.
So far my second lamp seems to be holding up well. At 50 hours and aperture closed all the way down -15. It is still blistering the screen! On certain scenes it is almost too bright on my 120" screen. Contrast and black levels are superb! Sherlock Holmes and Haywire look fantastic!

On another note,
I was talking to a good friend, who is a store manager at a local audio/video shop. He discovered certain DVD players crush the blacks with his RS40.
We tried for hours to calibrate the contrast and brightness of the unit. It was either to dark or washed out. After swapping Denon BD players. The unit looks much better! This leads me to believe the color space output of certain devices can give you the wrong impression of this projector. Robbing it of its dynamic range.

So far a WD TV live has given me the easiest to calibrate output. Using it I can get the pluge pattern for brightness to flash all the way down to 17 without 16 flashing at all. I've never been able to do that with any other output device I've used. For some reason YCbCr 4:4:4 output from the WD gives me greater accuracy on the pluge pattern. I have no idea why though?
post #9084 of 10307 Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 AM

Im stoked too, it has been for the most part a pleasure speaking with the JVC reps over the last two bulbs. I just wish I never had to do it in the first place. On another note, ive decided to sell my rs40 once I get the new bulb. If anyone is interested, it can be found in the classifieds, with 6 prs of glasses, emitter, and some 3d titles for a decent price, and obviously with a new bulb I just realized that I need something that throws more light out as I host quite a bit and almost always keep the lights on while doing so. Ill have to sacrifice the inky blacks, which sucks really bad, but in the long run, I think it will be a good decision. I hope I dont regret it...

post #9085 of 10307 Old 04-25-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Im stoked too, it has been for the most part a pleasure speaking with the JVC reps over the last two bulbs. I just wish I never had to do it in the first place. On another note, ive decided to sell my rs40 once I get the new bulb. If anyone is interested, it can be found in the classifieds, with 6 prs of glasses, emitter, and some 3d titles for a decent price, and obviously with a new bulb I just realized that I need something that throws more light out as I host quite a bit and almost always keep the lights on while doing so. Ill have to sacrifice the inky blacks, which sucks really bad, but in the long run, I think it will be a good decision. I hope I dont regret it...

I haven't gone through what you have yet (though I am sure I will with an 002 bulb currently installed). But for me, it would be REALLY hard to go back to a PJ with lesser blacks and contrast....and almost as hard to go back to a DI. I got used toa DI, but now not having it, it would probably bug me. I do understand your frustration and wish you Good Luck finding your next PJ!
post #9086 of 10307 Old 04-28-2012, 04:57 AM

Liked: 14
Just to give my experience with my European X3, 380 hours of viewing, shooting distance 5.5 meters screen 16/9 of 127 "and I still work in normal lamp mode with the lens opening to -13 brutal blast of lumenx am very, very pleased with the machine.

post #9087 of 10307 Old 05-03-2012, 08:13 AM

Just got my new bulb, flapper installed. looks like the bulb is a little different too, but I havent pulled the other one out to compare head to head yet. As no one has put in a bid on buying the rs40, I have no choice but to pop the bulb in and use it for a bit haha. Remember yall I still have it for sale

Has anyone logged a decent amount of hours on one of the new "flapper" 003 bulbs?

post #9088 of 10307 Old 05-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Liked: 11
I can't even get JVC to send me a new bulb without them wanting my old one first. Called three times. Maybe I'll try again this week. grrrrr
post #9089 of 10307 Old 05-07-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatboyC View Post

I can't even get JVC to send me a new bulb without them wanting my old one first. Called three times. Maybe I'll try again this week. grrrrr

Based on your experience, JVC in Canada appears to have a different policy for lamp replacement than the JVC USA. JVC USA was originally required the old lamps to be returned before they would send out a replacement one, but that policy seems to have changed a few months ago as the recent experience of several AVS members (myself included) is they only require you email them photos showing the old lamp with it's serial number and part number visible.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9090 of 10307 Old 05-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am in Canada, bought the projector in the US (AVS), so normally I don't even have a valid warranty and JVC sent me a new lamp (via AVS) without me having to send in the old one or pictures of the old one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page