post #9121 of 10033 Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman1 View Post

Just received my new lamp. It does have the flapper in the air duct. First lamp 002 popped on start up with 362 hours on it. Just installed new lamp , reset lamp clock and will see how she does. JVC worked great with me. They required two lamp pictures and proof of purchase. They shipped out new lamp 2nd day Fedex. Thanks JVC

I called 800-582-5825, option 6 and didn't have good luck and no call back either. The person I talked to would replace it if had popped, but not because it was dim and proceeded to go down the path of saying my PJ needs to be sent in because they don't know that anything's wrong with the lamp without it having blown.

My original lamp blew, but only after I called about it dimming and they sent a replacement. It blew while I was waiting for the 002 replacement to show up! Strange timing, but I didn't have to wait without a lamp, so that was good. Now, with only 340 hours on this one and it's very dim. Others have gotten a second lamp replaced by JVC without it being blown. I'd like to know what they may have done to convince JVC to send a 003 replacement when the lamp hasn't blown.

Anyone? It would be great to hear something before I call again tomorrow. Thanks!

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

I'd like to know what they may have done to convince JVC to send a 003 replacement when the lamp hasn't blown.

Anyone? It would be great to hear something before I call again tomorrow. Thanks!

Two replacements free of charge before the lamp blew. First one after 1250hrs, second one 600 or so... Both time I went through my dealer who arranged everything within hours... Both times the next day the replacement lamp was in the hands of Fedex. The first time, they provided a return label for the old lamp. The second time, they didn't want it back.

Consider talking to your dealer would be my advice...

GO HABS GO!
post #9123 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Oh, man! Replacement lamp is shipped after sending email to jvc tech support!

I explained the JVC tech support team about the detail lumen/fL information of normal/high lamp mode via email and next day got an email back that it's already shipped.
It's not blown up yet and no return for the old lamp. Great!

ps. Thanks, ohotos!!!!!!!!
post #9124 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I called 800-582-5825, option 6 and didn't have good luck and no call back either. The person I talked to would replace it if had popped, but not because it was dim and proceeded to go down the path of saying my PJ needs to be sent in because they don't know that anything's wrong with the lamp without it having blown.

My original lamp blew, but only after I called about it dimming and they sent a replacement. It blew while I was waiting for the 002 replacement to show up! Strange timing, but I didn't have to wait without a lamp, so that was good. Now, with only 340 hours on this one and it's very dim. Others have gotten a second lamp replaced by JVC without it being blown. I'd like to know what they may have done to convince JVC to send a 003 replacement when the lamp hasn't blown.

Sounds like you got a clueless support person. If that happens again next time you call, just ask to speak with a supervisor.
post #9125 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

Oh, man! Replacement lamp is shipped after sending email to jvc tech support!

I explained the JVC tech support team about the detail lumen/fL information of normal/high lamp mode via email and next day got an email back that it's already shipped.
It's not blown up yet and no return for the old lamp. Great!

ps. Thanks, ohotos!!!!!!!!

Out of curiosity, what fL were you measuring and how many hours that they agreed to replace it?
post #9126 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering all of these lamp issues with multiple replacements at very low hours, does anyone know if a class action lawsuit has been discussed? Seems to me that JVC advertises 2000 hours on lamps that cost over $400. What happens if/when they stop sending replacements and we're stuck with useless projectors that require expensive lamp replacements every 400 hours? I'm thinking that this may be the only real solution to the problem. There's no guarantees that the new 003 models with flaps will work for long either! The 002's were supposed to have resolved the problem and didn't.

Anyone?

I fear JVC has little incentive to do anything other then send replacements, fixed or not. They will bide their time and figure we'll all get rid of our RS40's after we get sick of the bulb issues. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think the lamp issues will be solved unless they go back to a reputable manufacture (philips)....which they won't.... assuming it's the bulbs. If it is the PJ's themselves they are certainly not going to issue replacements.

This is why I have yet to sell my old PJ. I love the image the JVC puts out, but fear the bulbs are being made cheaply by a lesser manufacture and will continue to have issues.

I have about 150 hours and in normal lamp mode, I can get a max of about 8 fL. Thats on a 100" 1.1 gain screen with a short throw of about 11 1/2 feet. That seems low to me....doesn't look dim, but the measurement worries me.

What are you guys seeing?
post #9127 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I received a return call to the voicemail I left yesterday. The gentleman's name is Lorenzo White. He only required an email with details, so guess a new lamp will be on it's way soon. He did not mention returning the failing lamp either.

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

post #9128 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

I fear JVC has little incentive to do anything other then send replacements, fixed or not. They will bide their time and figure we'll all get rid of our RS40's after we get sick of the bulb issues. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think the lamp issues will be solved unless they go back to a reputable manufacture (philips)....which they won't.... assuming it's the bulbs. If it is the PJ's themselves they are certainly not going to issue replacements.

This is why I have yet to sell my old PJ. I love the image the JVC puts out, but fear the bulbs are being made cheaply by a lesser manufacture and will continue to have issues.

I have about 150 hours and in normal lamp mode, I can get a max of about 8 fL. Thats on a 100" 1.1 gain screen with a short throw of about 11 1/2 feet. That seems low to me....doesn't look dim, but the measurement worries me.

What are you guys seeing?

I concur with assessment of the situation. I can only hope that the new lamp will correct the situation, but I have zero confidence in that. Between the lamp issue and the B-stock sales, sales of used JVCs will be very difficult. I'm expecting a big loss should I sell mine.

While JVC has been good about replacing the lamps. If fear that the new ones won't solve anything and the PJs will be out of warranty by the time they dim or blow. It's obvious that JVC has a KNOWN lamp issue. They need to assure owner in writing that lamps will be replaced as long as we own these PJs or until they correct the design and provide an exchange path to a corrected next gen PJ. That's the right thing to do when you've sold a "lemon". The prospect of eventually having to buy expensive lamps every 400 hours is totally unacceptable. If JVC doesn't provide a more permanent solution, unfortunately, the only true recourse will be a class action suit.

I had an Hitachi LCOS that known issues and they provided a full recall/refund over a year later. Shame on JVC. This is my third JVC projector. It's also likely my last unless they do more than make me beg for new lamps.

I get around 6 ftL in normal mode on my 132" diag 2.35:1 1.4x gain screen at 16' throw. Not good. 3D is useless, yet it's the only reason I upgraded from my RS20. I wish I never did. As it is, I had to purchase an Epson 6010 in order to enjoy bright 3D in my HT. Very sad situation.

...Steve

post #9129 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I concur with assessment of the situation. I can only hope that the new lamp will correct the situation, but I have zero confidence in that. Between the lamp issue and the B-stock sales, sales of used JVCs will be very difficult. I'm expecting a big loss should I sell mine.

While JVC has been good about replacing the lamps. If fear that the new ones won't solve anything and the PJs will be out of warranty by the time they dim or blow. It's obvious that JVC has a KNOWN lamp issue. They need to assure owner in writing that lamps will be replaced as long as we own these PJs or until they correct the design and provide an exchange path to a corrected next gen PJ. That's the right thing to do when you've sold a "lemon". The prospect of eventually having to buy expensive lamps every 400 hours is totally unacceptable. If JVC doesn't provide a more permanent solution, unfortunately, the only true recourse will be a class action suit.

I had an Hitachi LCOS that known issues and they provided a full recall/refund over a year later. Shame on JVC. This is my third JVC projector. It's also likely my last unless they do more than make me beg for new lamps.

I get around 6 ftL in normal mode on my 132" diag 2.35:1 1.4x gain screen at 16' throw. Not good. 3D is useless, yet it's the only reason I upgraded from my RS20. I wish I never did. As it is, I had to purchase an Epson 6010 in order to enjoy bright 3D in my HT. Very sad situation.

So they replaced the bulb because it had dimmed to 6fL, or did yours burst?
post #9130 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

Do you know how to play 3d mkv files from JVC RS40? In another forum, I was told to enable SBS. Right now I see same scene twice vertically. Not sure how to enable in jvc RS40

Set your player to output 60Hz, SBS mode requires 50 or 60Hz (mkvs are usually 24).

AV reviewer for greek Hxos Eikona magazine
post #9131 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris View Post

Set your player to output 60Hz, SBS mode requires 50 or 60Hz (mkvs are usually 24).

Thanks a lot for quick reply. I think I set "through" in my Oppo 93 player. I will check number of frames of mkv and try to set 60hz.

I am assuming there is no settings needed in JVC projector.
post #9132 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So they replaced the bulb because it had dimmed to 6fL, or did yours burst?

This one has not burst (yet), just dimmed substantially. The first one dimmed, then popped around the same hours that this one has on it. So, this will be my third lamp in under two years with a total of under 800 hours on the PJ.

...Steve

post #9133 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This one has not burst (yet), just dimmed substantially. The first one dimmed, then popped around the same hours that this one has on it. So, this will be my third lamp in under two years with a total of under 800 hours on the PJ.

Did you measure fL and report it to JVC? IF so, what was low enough to warrant a replacement?
post #9134 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

Did you measure fL and report it to JVC? IF so, what was low enough to warrant a replacement?

The industry standard for end of life is when the lumens from the lamp has dropped 50%. When they rate a lamp's life at, for example, 2000 hours that means it should operate for 2000 hours before the lamp's output has dropped to one half the original value.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9135 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The industry standard for end of life is when the lumens from the lamp has dropped 50%. When they rate a lamp's life at, for example, 2000 hours that means it should operate for 2000 hours before the lamp's output has dropped to one half the original value.

I guess I am wondering how you would prove this to JVC. Say it's not unwatchably dim, but has dropped 50% at 500 hours.
post #9136 of 10033 Old 05-18-2012, 11:39 PM

will JVC issue a replacment lamp if it was purchased from different vendor (such as Projector Lamp Genie) when it pop or dim prematurly?
post #9137 of 10033 Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Out of curiosity, what fL were you measuring and how many hours that they agreed to replace it?

it's 7fL and 250 hours.
post #9138 of 10033 Old 05-19-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ana_moo_ana View Post

will JVC issue a replacment lamp if it was purchased from different vendor (such as Projector Lamp Genie) when it pop or dim prematurly?

Ya thin?

I thin not. That would be the same as buying a aftermarket Part for a car, and then after it fails, taking the car into the Dealership to have the part replaced under warranty. If the lamp lasted 90 days...then it fulfilled the warranty stipulations the vendor had listed.

The Vendors who sell the lamps "ONLY" offer 90 days warranty...just like each and everyone of the PJ mfg did (...and most still do...) before JVC & Epson took it upon themselves to change that somewhat.

And so now...a lot of people have this crazy notion that "ALL" lamps should be replaced...whenever they fail...for whatever the cause. Nope...t'aint so.

(ahhhh....remember the days of the 2yr Lamp warranty offers aftermarket vendors offered....for $200.00+ )

Epson in particular comes the closest to observing such...allowing a full 2 years of coverage (3 w/Pro models) however JVC does it on a case-by-case basis, and really only does that because they feel obliged to...not because their own warranty dictates such. Their PJs are all the more expensive...and the Lamps they use all the more so than others. It was either address the complaints or lose business like a hemophiliac bleeding out.

Poor Lamp mfg choices and a slew of complaints brought both the aforementioned PJ mfg to heel....but for all the rest it's "90 Days!" sez De Judge.

PS.

All 3 of the X3s I've installed each have had to have 2-3 lamps replaced. Fortunately...if one can use that term...the original Lamps and the replacements all gave up the ghost in short order. Two of the x3s have been replaced...only one has remained on-site, and for some unknown reason it's 3rd Lamp has passed the 1500 hour mark and is still shinning bright.

Wonders...to be sure.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #9139 of 10033 Old 05-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
lamp problems up the wazoo yet u guys keep buying JVC projectors and keep giving them your money.until they feel pain in THEIR wallet they will not solve the problem
post #9140 of 10033 Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

lamp problems up the wazoo yet u guys keep buying JVC projectors and keep giving them your money.until they feel pain in THEIR wallet they will not solve the problem

Point me to another projector in this class that throws a better 2D image? I'm all eyes and ears.
post #9141 of 10033 Old 05-19-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the new 003 lamp with the flapper and am looking for some tuning advice from the experts here. I have noticed that when I first turn on the projector the picture is beautiful with good focus and what I might call a "cool" picture; that is with a extremely slight blue color tint. I will guess that it is somewhere between 7000 and 8000 kelvin. However, after thirty minutes or so of watching the focus goes slightly off but most importantly the colors move slightly towards the red/brown side. I much prefer the cold picture. How can I fix this color drift problem? Move the kelvin from 6500 to 7500?

I have recently had some peculiar behavior with the hdmi handshake problem. I think I remember this being discussed a possibly one of the boards being bad. If so, could this be contributing to the color drift?

Any help is appreciated.

Jack
post #9142 of 10033 Old 05-19-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:

Called JVC to get my 002 lamp replaced. My original lamp (purchased RS40 from AVS on 1/5/11) grew very dim after 300 hours and blew up before 400. The replacement is now very dim after 340 hours. 3D is not watchable and 2D must be watched in High Lamp mode (or whatever it's called) to get acceptable picture on my 1.4 gain screen in bat cave.

Anyway, I called and the dork I spoke too wanted me to send the PJ back. I asked to speak to supervisor, but got a generic voicebox after transfer. I left name, number, problem description, etc. and will wait for return call. I'll try again tomorrow afternoon if I don't hear back before then.

Considering all of these lamp issues with multiple replacements at very low hours, does anyone know if a class action lawsuit has been discussed? Seems to me that JVC advertises 2000 hours on lamps that cost over $400. What happens if/when they stop sending replacements and we're stuck with useless projectors that require expensive lamp replacements every 400 hours? I'm thinking that this may be the only real solution to the problem. There's no guarantees that the new 003 models with flaps will work for long either! The 002's were supposed to have resolved the problem and didn't.

Anyone?

I assume that you have a Carada Brilliant White screen. The actual measured gain of that screen per UMR is 1.03. What size screen do you have and what is your throw distance?

You can download the screen material review here: http://www.accucalhd.com/reviews.htm

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #9143 of 10033 Old 05-21-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38 View Post

I did NOT run into any lamp issues on my earlier JVC models (RS2, RS20), just the RS40 which is a different lamp. I was not expecting to run into them on this model, but live and learn. So far, JVC has been responsive in replacing them. However, this is my third lamp in under 800 hours total on the PJ, so that's not a good sign. Hopefully, the change in design will help, but if not....

But to put this in some perspective, I had a Sony Ruby (VPL-VW100) which used a Xenon lamp. Those were $1000 MSRP or something close to that. Sony did replace one of those for me after I sent the PJ in for repair under warranty when it wouldn't turn on. There was an alternate DIY replacement lamp option for these expensive Xenon lamps, but they were still around $400 if I recall.

Lamps are the Achilles heel of PJs. Why do you think were all waiting for inexpensive LED/Laser PJs?

...Steve

post #9144 of 10033 Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I assume that you have a Carada Brilliant White screen. The actual measured gain of that screen per UMR is 1.03. What size screen do you have and what is your throw distance?

You can download the screen material review here: http://www.accucalhd.com/reviews.htm

Thanks for the link. Interesting findings which are news to me. I picked up my BW used locally for a great price, so I can't complain. It was the perfect size and ratio for my needs. it was SUBSTANTIALLY less than a Stewart, so I'll live with 1.03 gain and keep in mind that the stated 1.4 gain of the Carada is a "stretch". Any perceived color issues that Mr. Meier found are readily handled by calibration off the screen.

Being only at 1.03 gain still doesn't explain the drop in lamp lux measured at the screen, not off it. JVC lamps have a poor trace record.

...Steve

post #9145 of 10033 Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I did NOT run into any lamp issues on my earlier JVC models (RS2, RS20), just the RS40 which is a different lamp. I was not expecting to run into them on this model, but live and learn. So far, JVC has been responsive in replacing them. However, this is my third lamp in under 800 hours total on the PJ, so that's not a good sign. Hopefully, the change in design will help, but if not....

But to put this in some perspective, I had a Sony Ruby (VPL-VW100) which used a Xenon lamp. Those were $1000 MSRP or something close to that. Sony did replace one of those for me after I sent the PJ in for repair under warranty when it wouldn't turn on. There was an alternate DIY replacement lamp option for these expensive Xenon lamps, but they were still around $400 if I recall.

Lamps are the Achilles heel of PJs. Why do you think were all waiting for inexpensive LED/Laser PJs?

The one nice thing about the replaceable lamp is that when it wears out, you can replace it and have a "new" pj again, and do that indefinitely. A failure in a LED/Laser pj is probably not so easy to resolve, but who knows. If the LED lamp is like a replaceable lamp, then that would be nice. But then again, JVC could source crappy LED lamps just like crappy UHP lamps and we're back to square one with just a different kind of lamp. The best thing about LED/Laser would be the long term stable light source without the need to re-calibrate. Whether or not LED/Laser will offer enough lumens for big screens and/or 3D I don't know.

I was looking at the RS45 thread a little bit and didn't see too many lamp complaints there, or maybe I didn't look enough? Does the RS45 series use exactly the same lamp as the RS40 series? If so, perhaps the RS45 series is still too new to see a lot of lamp complaints just yet?
post #9146 of 10033 Old 05-22-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I have the new 003 lamp with the flapper and am looking for some tuning advice from the experts here. I have noticed that when I first turn on the projector the picture is beautiful with good focus and what I might call a "cool" picture; that is with a extremely slight blue color tint. I will guess that it is somewhere between 7000 and 8000 kelvin. However, after thirty minutes or so of watching the focus goes slightly off but most importantly the colors move slightly towards the red/brown side. I much prefer the cold picture. How can I fix this color drift problem? Move the kelvin from 6500 to 7500?

I have recently had some peculiar behavior with the hdmi handshake problem. I think I remember this being discussed a possibly one of the boards being bad. If so, could this be contributing to the color drift?

Any help is appreciated.

Lamp based displays drift a bit as they warm up, but I'd be very surprised if it was something you would actually notice. Same with focus, it will drift as the PJ warms up slightly.

You should set focus with the PJ warmed up...it may look a little out of focus when you first turn it on ( and I mean so slightly you have to be inches from the screen) but it will be in focus when warmed up. Likewise, you should adjust your settings after it has warmed up.

However, if the color drift is really that noticeable, something sounds wrong.
post #9147 of 10033 Old 05-22-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

it's 7fL and 250 hours.

Is that the only proof you had to give them? I am currently measuring 7 fL, which seems low to me with 150 hours on the bulb. However, the image does not look dim to me.....but the measurement seems low given a 100" screen a 11 ft throw. Makes me think I should try and get a 003 replacement now.
post #9148 of 10033 Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM

Hello everyone! As of yesterday, I've officially joined the X3 owners after months of research, I came across a deal i couldn't refuse.

I have a question regarding ceiling mount. I've searched the forum but couldn't find it. What bracket is compatible / recommended?
post #9149 of 10033 Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM

anyone think whats a total price to produce one bulb in china incl shipping/taxes?
i can only imagine its really low,like 10-20$ ,everything above that its just profits for companies like JVC
The only reason why im praying for LED/laser expansion on a market its not that i want to go with them but is the fact that all companies will be pushed for dramatic droping a price ordinary bulbs...
so all jvc owners stay cool
post #9150 of 10033 Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

Whether or not LED/Laser will offer enough lumens for big screens and/or 3D I don't know.

I was looking at the RS45 thread a little bit and didn't see too many lamp complaints there, or maybe I didn't look enough? Does the RS45 series use exactly the same lamp as the RS40 series? If so, perhaps the RS45 series is still too new to see a lot of lamp complaints just yet?

Supposedly, the RED 4K laser PJ will handle screens up to 15'. Time will tell...

Yes, the RS45/55/65 use the same lamps as the 40/50/60 series. JVC redesigned their PJs for 3D and switched lamps. I think they were looking for more lumens, but ended up with shorter lamp life span.

...Steve

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page