Forum Jump: 

post #9181 of 9990 Old 05-31-2012, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

If all of the second round of AVS B-Stocks have 002 lamps, seems JVC is asking for trouble.

I called today and AVS is out of RS40 B stock now. They do have a B stock RS45 for a few hundreds more than a B stock RS40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9182 of 9990 Old 05-31-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyc View Post

I called today and AVS is out of RS40 B stock now. They do have a B stock RS45 for a few hundreds more than a B stock RS40.

Any difference in pic quality between the rs40 and rs45?
What are the differences between the two?
post #9183 of 9990 Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Any difference in pic quality between the rs40 and rs45?
What are the differences between the two?

I don't think there is much difference in PQ. The 45 does have lens memory, possibly better 3d performance, and it looks like a LAN port. but not 100% sure on that one. They both use the same bulb.
post #9184 of 9990 Old 06-01-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

NUTS! just kidding. If it were a fair world, and JVC could not fix this for us, you would be right. Unfortunately this is not a fair world and this is purely a numbers issue for JVC. What costs more:

1) Replacing all units with this issue with newer units. And if the bulbs are the issue, not the PJ, then this does nothing as the RSx5 series uses the same bulb anyway. If it IS a PJ issue, then they are certainly not going to replace two generations of PJ's.....not a chance.

2) Continuing to bandaid fix the issue with replacement bulbs until we all upgrade....even if they lose some customers.

It has to be cheaper to go with number 2. So we're stuck until/unless the bulbs are really fixed. I hope they are and that my 002 dies soon so I can replace it, recalibrate, and stop worrying about this issue and just enjoy the thing!

Of course, they've chosen option 2. I don't like BEING STUCK and just HOPING. That's not conducive to my ability to stop worrying. It pisses me off that we should even have to worry in the first place and not simply enjoy the damn thing!

...Steve
"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

My 3D-BD/BD/HD-DVD/DVD collection and HT gear

post #9185 of 9990 Old 06-01-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Of course, they've chosen option 2. I don't like BEING STUCK and just HOPING. That's not conducive to my ability to stop worrying. It pisses me off that we should even have to worry in the first place and not simply enjoy the damn thing!

Hey if it turns out that they have not fixed the bulb issues, we can arrange a mass call into JVC and complain day. IF we can get all the RS40/50/60/45/55/65 owners one the forum to call the same day MAYBE (I doubt it but...) they would take more notice. Heck even for those without the issue YET, they are likely to have it.
post #9186 of 9990 Old 06-01-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
My RS40 belched again last night. I've been having hdmi handshake problems with it and I have heard that the system board may be the culprit. We were watching a movie when all of a sudden the picture started to flicker between norm and slightly darker. It was intermittent and would go for a minute and then flicker for five seconds, and so on throughout the movie. I thought it might be the bulb, a 003 with the flapper and with 197 hours on it. However, when I tried to bring up the menu I found that it was very slow to come up and then slow to move left to right in order to get to the column with the hours listed. I have also noticed lately that the projector was not responding well to the remote. At the time I blamed it on needing new batteries(which I didn't have) but now I not so sure.

Anyway, we finished the movie and when I switched back to Directv the handshake reared it's ugly head and I had to pull the plug to turn it off. Tried to start it up again so that I could put it through a normal shutoff cycle but no luck. Went to bed and will try again tonight.

How long are we going to have to put up with this disaster?

BTW, tried to call JVC Customer Care for warranty claim and could not find anything resembling the right place. Anyone have the right number to call?

Jack
post #9187 of 9990 Old 06-01-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Here's a direct number to JVC repair center in Long beach, California. phone number 562-295-1142.
They replaced my Processor PWB assy. I haven't had even a hint of issues with lock ups. No firmware update needed.
post #9188 of 9990 Old 06-01-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I received a call just a minute ago from an important manager of JVC responding to an email I sent in earlier to JVC asking for an RA. He was extremely professional, listened to all of my concerns, and suggested several things to try to alleviate/ diagnose my handshake issue. I have two weeks before I plan to drop the unit off at their repair facility in Long Beach so I am going to try his recommendation for the diagnosis. The recommendation was a direct connection between the Directv box and the projector. This works for me as my AVR does not have HDMI. The Directv is a good test because of the frequent change in resolution between the stations. I still have to figure out how to hook up my PS3 for watching a movie.

I tried to plead our case as honestly as possible concerning the issues we have discussed here on this forum. Hopefully, there will be merit in what I related and we will all be happy owners for the foreseeable future.

Jack
post #9189 of 9990 Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

My RS40 belched again last night. I've been having hdmi handshake problems with it and I have heard that the system board may be the culprit. We were watching a movie when all of a sudden the picture started to flicker between norm and slightly darker. It was intermittent and would go for a minute and then flicker for five seconds, and so on throughout the movie. I thought it might be the bulb, a 003 with the flapper and with 197 hours on it. However, when I tried to bring up the menu I found that it was very slow to come up and then slow to move left to right in order to get to the column with the hours listed. I have also noticed lately that the projector was not responding well to the remote. At the time I blamed it on needing new batteries(which I didn't have) but now I not so sure.

That sounds like more than just a handshake problem.
post #9190 of 9990 Old 06-04-2012, 08:42 AM

I just installed my RS 40 over the weekend. I have to say I'm very impressed with this thing! Aside from the fact that it's a beast (and so much heavier and bigger than my Sanyo Z4), it has more than exceeded my expectations!

I did notice an issue, though. I am noticing that it doesn't want to sync at 1080/24p with my Panasonic blue-ray player(DMP-BD35). It has NO problem synching at 1080/60p, but when I turn on 24p output at the player, and put in any blue-ray disk, it starts blinking like it's struggling to sync every 5 seconds or so. I did a few searches on synch problems and 1080/24p, but didn't find results that were quite what I am experiencing.

If this has been discussed, can you point me at the posts? Could this be a problem with the cable? I was thinking this might be the problem, but why would it work just fine on 1080/60p? Also, how do I check the firmware level? I went through the menus, but somehow missed it.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me!
post #9191 of 9990 Old 06-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Are you going directly from the player to the projector? I have a BD-35 and it syncs up with the 45 no problem. Time to find the culprit, component or cable.
post #9192 of 9990 Old 06-04-2012, 03:54 PM

I'm going through a Pioneer ELite VS -84tXsi receiver in "bypass" with no video conversion but handling sound through HDMI.

You are right though. I'm going to try going directly from the player to the RS 40 and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I"ll try another cable. I hope that it's the cable and not the receiver or the projector.
post #9193 of 9990 Old 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Englebright View Post

I'm going through a Pioneer ELite VS -84tXsi receiver in "bypass" with no video conversion but handling sound through HDMI.

You are right though. I'm going to try going directly from the player to the RS 40 and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I"ll try another cable. I hope that it's the cable and not the receiver or the projector.

Do you have a link or description of the cable that you are using?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9194 of 9990 Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM

No link but if I recall correctly, it was a blue jean cable. 25 footer, I think.
post #9195 of 9990 Old 06-04-2012, 10:20 PM

I haven't been on this forum in almost a year, but I bought my RS-40 back in March of 2011. My bulb is to the point of having it in 3D mode to even see it since other modes are so dark. I am noticing a few comments saying some people have gotten replacement bulbs even after warranty and that they are on version 003 now. What are you guys doing to get replacement bulbs? Do I need to email or call JVC directly? Sorry if this has been answered already, but 307 pages are a lot to go through. If I am out of luck, any place to get a new bulb that isn't $400-$500 dollars? Thanks.
post #9196 of 9990 Old 06-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Well, did some testing last night and it appears to be the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXi that is causing the problem. When connecting the Panasonic player to the JVC, 24p works just fine. Hook it back up to the Reveiver, and the problem returns. Dang it, I was hoping it was the cable. The Pionneer needs a firmware upgrade (and apparently a daughter card fix) that requires dropping it off or mailing it to the nearest authorized repair shop. frown.gif

1080/60p so far has been very impressive in terms of picture quality, so I may just leave it knowing that sometime I will have to upgrade the receiver.
post #9197 of 9990 Old 06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolt View Post

I haven't been on this forum in almost a year, but I bought my RS-40 back in March of 2011. My bulb is to the point of having it in 3D mode to even see it since other modes are so dark. I am noticing a few comments saying some people have gotten replacement bulbs even after warranty and that they are on version 003 now. What are you guys doing to get replacement bulbs? Do I need to email or call JVC directly? Sorry if this has been answered already, but 307 pages are a lot to go through. If I am out of luck, any place to get a new bulb that isn't $400-$500 dollars? Thanks.

If you bought from a good dealer like AVS, contact them first. They might be able to facilitate a faster replacement. If need be you can contact JVC directly. JVC has acknowledged a lamp issue, so if you bulb was under say 1000 hours, chances are good they will replace it. You may get the rare CSR that is not helpful, and need to ask for a manager, but you have a reasonable expectation for a replacement.
post #9198 of 9990 Old 06-07-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Anyway, we finished the movie and when I switched back to Directv the handshake reared it's ugly head and I had to pull the plug to turn it off. Tried to start it up again so that I could put it through a normal shutoff cycle but no luck. Went to bed and will try again tonight.

How long are we going to have to put up with this disaster?

BTW, tried to call JVC Customer Care for warranty claim and could not find anything resembling the right place. Anyone have the right number to call?

I had all of the same symptoms in the past with my X3. JVC Canada finally performed the circuit board fix for me after I pointed out the existence of the service bulletin. So far none of the symptoms have returned.

As an aside, I also asked for them to replace my old bulb with the 003 since I was getting pretty severe ghosting with 3D, but all they offered was a discounted 003 bulb.
post #9199 of 9990 Old 06-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Liked: 12
Hi, please, how can i identify the latest (1.5) version of firmware in the service menu? What string should I read? Thanks.
post #9200 of 9990 Old 06-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliv7 View Post

Hi, please, how can i identify the latest (1.5) version of firmware in the service menu? What string should I read? Thanks.

I'm not sure how to read it from the service menu, but you can check it with a PC via the updater program and USB cable.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/productupdate.jsp
post #9201 of 9990 Old 06-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Hello folks,

I have an RS40 going well with aproximately 400hs. I am planning to move from an 84" screen with 0.8 gain to a 100" screen with 1.0 gain. I am concerned 3D may get a bit dark.

Anybody here with a 100" 1.0 gain screen happy with 3D brightness ?

(unfortunately I cannot purchase a screen with gain here in Brazil)

Thanks in advance !
post #9202 of 9990 Old 06-11-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by afss View Post

Hello folks,
I have an RS40 going well with aproximately 400hs. I am planning to move from an 84" screen with 0.8 gain to a 100" screen with 1.0 gain. I am concerned 3D may get a bit dark.
Anybody here with a 100" 1.0 gain screen happy with 3D brightness ?
(unfortunately I cannot purchase a screen with gain here in Brazil)
Thanks in advance !

Assuming those screen gain values are accurate the image brightness will be less than 10% dimmer on the larger screen (but with higher gain) and there should not be any significant difference in overall visual image brightness.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9203 of 9990 Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM

Thank you very much for the quick reply !!
post #9204 of 9990 Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

:pSecond bulb blew last week @800+ hrs. Original bulb blew at under 400hrs. JVC in Long Beach asked me to send in projector because it could be faulty ballast. Sent in today. I was told turn around is 1-2 days. We'll see what happens.
post #9205 of 9990 Old 06-16-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Sent in projector on Monday and received back on Thursday. Bulb, resistor and firmware update. Does anyone know what and MG Resistor is for. Didn't pull the bulb to check vers but assume its the 003. I will take some lite readings and track over the coming months. I did notice the vertical banding lines on the left side of center with the S&M calibration disc displaying the greyscales ramps. Anyone know the cause?
post #9206 of 9990 Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 PM

Try to clean the Lens...

Could you read the string in the service menu to identify the last (1.5) version of the firmware? Thank you.
post #9207 of 9990 Old 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

Sent in projector on Monday and received back on Thursday. Bulb, resistor and firmware update. Does anyone know what and MG Resistor is for. Didn't pull the bulb to check vers but assume its the 003. I will take some lite readings and track over the coming months. I did notice the vertical banding lines on the left side of center with the S&M calibration disc displaying the greyscales ramps. Anyone know the cause?

The resistor is to address the HDMI lockup issue. JVC has a service bulletin out for the fix.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9208 of 9990 Old 07-14-2012, 06:04 AM
bub
Advanced Member

Just received my RS40 'B' stock from AVS, thanks Mike!
002 bulb

Was double boxed with large 12X6 inch hole along one top edge of exterior box with slight interior box damage and a 4 inch piercing hole in the bottom of the exterior AND interior box, which also shattered the Styrofoam bracing. There was no physical damage to the outside of the projector but worried about shock damage due to rough handling. Will report back once I can get a quick setup.
post #9209 of 9990 Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by bub View Post

Just received my RS40 'B' stock from AVS, thanks Mike!
002 bulb
Was double boxed with large 12X6 inch hole along one top edge of exterior box with slight interior box damage and a 4 inch piercing hole in the bottom of the exterior AND interior box, which also shattered the Styrofoam bracing. There was no physical damage to the outside of the projector but worried about shock damage due to rough handling. Will report back once I can get a quick setup.

Future note for others. Since projectors are sent signature required, when ever anyone receives one that has a damaged box, please have damaged noted and signed by UPS.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #9210 of 9990 Old 07-19-2012, 09:31 AM
bub
Advanced Member

I was wondering if anybody here using the RS40 and the Sony PS3 as source would be willing to help me out a bit?

I am also using the Monster Vision Max 3D glasses.
I have an Onkyo 805 receiver (but even bypassing and feeding the RS40 directly from the PS3, I get no 3D signal).
I have a 25 foot HDMI run, been up for maybe 2 years so not the latest HDMI standard.

I put the RS40 into 3D mode, put in my one and only 3D BD title, Coraline, I can't get the Max 3D glasses to 'see' the 3D signal and I don't know why.

If anybody has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I've read almost every post in this thread, most of the posts in the Max 3D thread. I have two pair of the Max 3D glasses and two of the Max 3D Transmitters and switching between them doesn't make any difference. One of the transmitters has been updated to the latest firmware and the other one has not.

Could it be the HDMI cable? I'm pretty sure it isn't the latest standard, but not sure if that is even an issue.

Also, I can not get into the RS40 service menu with the up, down, right, left, ctr commands. I've tried it slow, fast, v. fast... nothing. Should I be doing that outside the menu?

And, if anybody has been using the HCFR software with the EyeOne LT sensor and a Win7 64 bit OS, I'm having trouble the software does not recognize the sensor. I have the other diagnostic software and it does recognize the sensor so it isn't hardware related. I keep getting a driver error even though I've copied the eyeone.dll driver into the proper directory.

Thanks in advance, been a real struggle.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page